Youth Academy value for money or not ?

That’s for the current lads Nathan Young Combes, Dapo Mebude etc to show us that they can make the jump. If you’re good enough, you’re old enough is the old saying, maybe we just haven’t got the talent currently that can make the jump up. I think once we’ve toppled that mob the pressure will be off in a sense where we’re not chasing them and can take more risks on young lads. Maybe by that time we’ll see the McCrories in about the first team regularly, maybe Patterson or young Mayo

Maybe they aren’t good enough or maybe the manager is to sacred to play them , zi watched the Inverness game and several looked good but no major standouts apart from Kennedy.

And I'm not convinced our fans could handle the consequences of an Ajax style approach. They'll get great players, but they lose them quite young and go through years of not winning as they build the next lot up.
Ajax’s system has been in place for decades now, it’s fine tuned. It’s a bit like passing your driving test and immediately wanting a Bentley, good things come to those who wait and all that

It only takes one to come off big to make a profit. And yes it's worth it.
Although I agree in principle, I still remember the talent billy Gilmore was showing and we could do practically nothing to keep him and received peanuts in comparison to what he could have been worth just a few years later

Although I agree in principle, I still remember the talent billy Gilmore was showing and we could do practically nothing to keep him and received peanuts in comparison to what he could have been worth just a few years later

That’s another issue no visible path to the first team .

We didn’t bring Middleton through he was signed from Norwich .
It doesn't really matter, the main point is that the vast majority of our fans aren't patient enough and get annoyed if an 18 year old isn't immediately the most consistent player in the 11

It doesn't really matter, the main point is that the vast majority of our fans aren't patient enough and get annoyed if an 18 year old isn't immediately the most consistent player in the 11

We will never find out at this rate as we would rather develop players like Ojo .

We will never find out at this rate as we would rather develop players like Ojo .
You're being disingenuous so you can attack the club at this point.

Ojo had a better reputation than Kent and a better level of physicality, if it worked out we were signing a more complete player on loan with a view to trying to make it permanent in the summer.

It's very easy to go back with hindsight and attack the club over that but the reality is there is nobody in the academy who can offer what Ojo was offering in the summer months. They're years younger than him and less developed physically.

Kennedy has interest from Roma among others. He could be the next. Important we get him tied down

That’s another issue no visible path to the first team .

Gilmour didn't leave because he didn't see a path into the first team. He was offered good money at a club where the facilities and coaching level would bring out even more in him. Rangers couldn't be blamed there.

In recent years we've seen McCrorie and Middleton get a number of games. Many fans don't believe either of them are good enough, and they were considered among the best of the youths at that stage.

In a few years time, I'm willing to bet we've seen a few more come through and get chances. There's a bit of a gap in terms of the age of the really talented youth players. Kennedy, Mayo, Patterson, Mebude, McPake, Kelly and a few others are only just getting close to being ready.

You're being disingenuous so you can attack the club at this point.

Ojo had a better reputation than Kent and a better level of physicality, if it worked out we were signing a more complete player on loan with a view to trying to make it permanent in the summer.

It's very easy to go back with hindsight and attack the club over that but the reality is there is nobody in the academy who can offer what Ojo was offering in the summer months. They're years younger than him and less developed physically.

I am not attacking the club but Gerrard has a soft spot for Liverpool academy players, Ojo struggled in previous loans as well.

I am not attacking the club but Gerrard has a soft spot for Liverpool academy players, Ojo struggled in previous loans as well.
Not as much as Kent did, that's the point.

Kent: massive success.

Ejaria: success until the final month where things fell apart.

It's not as if the track record was bad when Ojo signed, the fans retroactively deciding Ejaria was useless doesn't make it true.

Comparing a 17/18 year olds chances to a 23 year olds is ridiculous.

Gilmour didn't leave because he didn't see a path into the first team. He was offered good money at a club where the facilities and coaching level would bring out even more in him. Rangers couldn't be blamed there.

In recent years we've seen McCrorie and Middleton get a number of games. Many fans don't believe either of them are good enough, and they were considered among the best of the youths at that stage.

In a few years time, I'm willing to bet we've seen a few more come through and get chances. There's a bit of a gap in terms of the age of the really talented youth players. Kennedy, Mayo, Patterson, Mebude, McPake, Kelly and a few others are only just getting close to being ready.

I really hope your correct as we all want to see our own young players coming in to the first team .

McCrorie I like but the manager doesn’t and Middleton was signed as a 17 or 18 yearold and for me doesn’t count as coming through our youth system.

UEFA have started to punish clubs who farm youth players through offering them incentives, which is what happened with Gilmour. However, bans are just not enough, they need to implement some rule that prevents these youngster being stolen by clubs with more money.

Be fair - 2012 wasn't when things were fixed. Our entire club was raped for years, something no club has faced before or since in the way we did.

It wasn't until Warburton came in that anything close to a working solution was put in place.

That was 5 years ago , We have also been cherry picking players from other academy’s and only McCrorie and Middleton have played many games for us , It’s fine to give it time but it seems like a huge waste of cash for me .

UEFA have started to punish clubs who farm youth players through offering them incentives, which is what happened with Gilmour. However, bans are just not enough, they need to implement some rule that prevents these youngster being stolen by clubs with more money.

Sadly, I don't think we'll ever see anything that fully prevents it. Employment law clashes with that in the first place.

As an aside, I only just learned recently that Steau Bucharest basically stole Gheorge Hagi from his original club. Loaned him for one game, a European Super Cup match, then just decided they were keeping him. Such was their owner's level of power in the country, no one could do anything about it! :D

If we had a Colt team it would reap the benefits straight away. We should not scrap it though. Club needs to find a way to bleed players in, Billy Gilmour was at us but he couldn't be kept. So quality is there.

That was 5 years ago , We have also been cherry picking players from other academy’s and only McCrorie and Middleton have played many games for us , It’s fine to give it time but it seems like a huge waste of cash for me .

You're convinced by your stance. That's fine. At a top club, one or two players every few years is a high return on average.

What you're asking us to believe, ultimately, is that Gerrard would ignore better players in favour of someone he knew from Liverpool. I don't think that's true. If our young players were good enough, they'd be playing.

And that's coming soon.

If Chelsea hadn’t taken Gilmour we would have had an absolute star on our hands.

Of course we have to keep our academy, what would I do without it ?

I'm really struggling with no games to go to at the moment and no academy games makes it even worse.

I do it think it is an important time for the academy, we ripped in out to start again for the 2015/16 season and are now at the stage where we have to see progress.

If the players coming though are not good enough to start in cup games etc then there comes a time when you have to question if the system works.
I would love to see a few young faces in around the team every year in less important games to start with. Surelya couple of them could have offered the same as barker, and a few other fringe players.

Think we should spend more on it. Hope more fans would do the Rangers Lotto to help it along. It's vital for us in future.
I just wish we would have serious scouting further afield. Scour the North of England for example. Pick up players who slipped through the net of the big English Clubs

You're convinced by your stance. That's fine. At a top club, one or two players every few years is a high return on average.

What you're asking us to believe, ultimately, is that Gerrard would ignore better players in favour of someone he knew from Liverpool. I don't think that's true. If our young players were good enough, they'd be playing.

And that's coming soon.

You know about the ins and outs of the club more than I do so I hope your right .

Think we should spend more on it. Hope more fans would do the Rangers Lotto to help it along. It's vital for us in future.
I just wish we would have serious scouting further afield. Scour the North of England for example. Pick up players who slipped through the net of the big English Clubs
We do.

That's what started this thread, people are angry that we are about to sign a highly rated prospect from Leicester

If Chelsea hadn’t taken Gilmour we would have had an absolute star on our hands.

Yes but he would have come through anywhere as he’s an outstanding talent,

We nurtured him and trained him and got 2 bob at the end of the day so that adds to my question.

We do.

That's what started this thread, people are angry that we are about to sign a highly rated prospect from Leicester

Thread was started to not derail the transfer thread anymore and to get people’s thoughts.

Keep hearing that , every yr its, wait 2 yr
I don't know how many times I've had to explain to people on here how dire a state our academy was in prior to 2015. It has been drastically overhauled and the players coming through over the next season or two should be the ones who we look at critically, not the last few years.

Sadly, I don't think we'll ever see anything that fully prevents it. Employment law clashes with that in the first place.

As an aside, I only just learned recently that Steau Bucharest basically stole Gheorge Hagi from his original club. Loaned him for one game, a European Super Cup match, then just decided they were keeping him. Such was their owner's level of power in the country, no one could do anything about it! :D

Surely employment law has some sort of ruling on players under the age of 18 being taken from their parent club for next to nothing? Maybe having a good path to the first team would help, but you would still get players like Gilmour being offered all sort incentives for himself and his family in order to move down south.

Keep hearing that , every yr its, wait 2 yr
Well show me an academy that has went through as drastic a change as ours and had success in the first couple years? It has never happened and to expect it is just insanity. Even the best academies in the world go through dry spells, Ajax had a few years not long ago all their top talents completely fell away once hitting the first team.

Well show me an academy that has went through as drastic a change as ours and had success in the first couple years? It has never happened and to expect it is just insanity. Even the best academies in the world go through dry spells, Ajax had a few years not long ago all their top talents completely fell away once hitting the first team.
Im not intrested in any other teams a academy etc im only intrested in rangers.. i will put my cash on not one youth player breaking into the 1st team and staying.. this coming season

Historically apart from a few exceptions we haven’t brought many players through,We tend to bring players in so it has not been worth the money or effort over the years,
We can only hope that we are getting improvement in the youth system as we are everywhere else in the club.

Im not intrested in any other teams a academy etc im only intrested in Rangers.. i will put my cash on not one youth player breaking into the 1st team and staying.. this coming season

I have the same frustrations, We have being told since Warburton came in all the wonderful things that were happening in our academy, That was 5 years ago ,

I think when you look at the likes of Billy Gilmour being taken away for a fraction of what he's worth, and the fact that there doesn't seem to be anyone making the breakthrough in the past 10 years then there's certainly an argument for scrapping the whole thing tbh.

Which I want to tie back into my point earlier - we should absolutely have one between the ages of 16-20 but earlier than that seems a bit futile if the better ones are snapped up before we see any benefit. I appreciate that then every other club would have the same problem if we took their players, but we're a buying club and most of them aren't in Scotland.

Im not intrested in any other teams a academy etc im only intrested in Rangers.. i will put my cash on not one youth player breaking into the 1st team and staying.. this coming season
Well if you're interest in Rangers academy at least have a bit of perspective about it instead of having wild expectations. What if no youth player breaks into the first team because of how well the first team are performing?

After Hutton SG and several of our players saying Kennedy next big thing I'm hearing he's leaving as there's as no room for youths which is very worrying

I am not sure if he got any time against Hamilton but didn’t see him in the highlights,

Since Gerrard arrived it’s had a total revamp from non existent to the beginnings of something and we’re back to where we started, as there’s now been good investment in it. It’s now going to take time, unfortunately previous managers have may not seen value in it, McCoist being the last of note. As the biggest club we need to have a lot there where they’re paying for themselves, if that’s in the 1st team and big money comes in or they move on before that for good money. Look at the likes of Liverpool, Man City and Chelsea. I know we’re not at that level but we should be a model of that in Scotland. The number of young players they bring through, loan and then make money on knowing they won’t make the cut for the 1st team. It’s the way it has to be with us I think.

Not sure how embarrassment comes into it.

Who cares how it looks?

If it's an unproductive use of our resources, it's reasonable to question whether we keep spending money on it. Nowadays when the best talents can be picked off for relatively nothing at age 15/16 (Gilmour for us, Celtic just lost a couple of their best to Bayern and Man City) what is the point if we just end up with the dregs of the talent?
If they're good enough for Bayern City etc then why the hell can't we play them that's ridiculous.

Our academy is not dry it's absolutely flooded but let's look at it Stephen Kelly is 21 nearly and still considered as to young or not ready but Aaron hickey at hearts is 18 and played 50 games for Hearts this is a trend we continue to use it's not good enough for the young men trying to make a living in the game ,I listen on here all the time it's just excuse after excuse the pressure on any manager is too much to consider youths ,Bin it.

Our academy is not dry it's absolutely flooded but let's look at it Stephen Kelly is 21 nearly and still considered as to young or not ready but Aaron hickey at hearts is 18 and played 50 games for Hearts this is a trend we continue to use it's not good enough for the young men trying to make a living in the game ,I listen on here all the time it's just excuse after excuse the pressure on any manager is too much to consider youths ,Bin it.
Never said our academy doesn't have talent through it. Comparing our situation to Hearts is exactly why some of you need to lower expectations, Hearts were bottom of the table and had a shit show of a first team, we actually have talented players chasing a league title.

Never said our academy doesn't have talent through it. Comparing our situation to Hearts is exactly why some of you need to lower expectations, Hearts were bottom of the table and had a shit show of a first team, we actually have talented players chasing a league title.
Apparently everyone wants hickey that's the point they can do it.

Well if you're interest in Rangers academy at least have a bit of perspective about it instead of having wild expectations. What if no youth player breaks into the first team because of how well the first team are performing?
Whats wild about atleast seeing a bit of progress.. ..as i said we wont see a academy player break through n keep his place this season..

Hickey has been ruined by too many games at such a young age. He'll take time to recover his potential, if at all.

Whats wild about atleast seeing a bit of progress.. ..as i said we wont see a academy player break through n keep his place this season..
People have been expecting players to break through every season for the last 5 years despite the fact the academy was left an utter train-wreck by Sinclair, that is wild expectation. Like I said, over the next year or two is when we should judge how its performing, if no-one kicks on and becomes a squad player at least then we need to re-evaluate how we are developing them at the later stages.

Hopefully the academy is on the cusp of proving itself after the huge improvements in the last couple of years. Everything of course depends on the best youngsters actually getting a chance to prove their worth.

Back