Zico

The stand out player in an amazing team. Football fans will always wonder how that 82 team failed to win the World Cup

What a player!
My first international football idol, after watching Brazil in 1982 World Cup!
A truly great player in a great team. Both a joy to watch!
Playing football in the play ground, when picking international players, everyone wanted to be Zico!
Went to Windsor Park in 1986 when Flamengo played Linfield in a friendly. I was only going to see Zico but was gutted when he didn't play. Not even sure if he had travelled!

Best player in the world at the time and played in an outstanding Brazil team.
Says a lot about Italy who managed to beat them on their way to the trophy.

Cruyff was my first "favourite foreigner", then along came Zico, '82 World Cup was the first one that I watched knowing the majority of the players worldwide, and Brazil were the team for most after Scotland (when we had decent players and fans) and we all wanted to be Zico in the playground. They had other great playersas well, Socrates, Cerezo, Falcao, Eder but I think they lacked a proper centre forward.
I also remember Flamengo beating Liverpool in the '81 World Club Cup (probably highlights).

Stay safe and healthy to you all.

Absolutely sensational player, strangely always overlooked when people are making up lists of all-time greats.

Best Brazilian player during the time between Pele and Ronaldo, and arguably better than Ronaldo, though also like him injury prone.

I recall seeing bits of Flamengo-Liverpool in the World Club game in '81. He was terrific then. That Brazil team of '82 was something else - exotic and from another world.

A truly world class player, the White Pelé. There’s a great statue of him inside the Maracana when you do the stadium tour...

I recall seeing bits of Flamengo-Liverpool in the World Club game in '81. He was terrific then. That Brazil team of '82 was something else - exotic and from another world.
They were brilliant...Eder’s goal against USSR...Someone does an ultra cool 6 yard pass, someone dummies it with more style than all of current EPL put together, then in one move Eder flicks up and volleys into top corner. Sorry OP...know your threads about Zico but get carried away when think about that 82 WC team,

Only an excuse radio show ...
"You take the free kicks"
"But boss I canny bend a baw"
"Never mind , the goal posts are shoogly , I'll lean on them as you kick it an you'll look like bloody Zico"
:))

Still the greatest to play the game ever for me.

Alas, his lack of international honours and decision to not play in Europe until later in his career, history will remember others of similar/less ability as superior. Real shame.

Fantastic player. That 82 team were the best footballing team in my lifetime. To be the standout player in a team that contained Socrates, Falcou, Eder, Junior etc. would take some doing.
If Brazil had won the 82 world cup I think Zico would be mentioned in terms of Pele and Maradona.
I remember pestering mi mam for a Brazil kit after that world cup - and she came up trumps!

Another player from my childhood and what a player he was. An attacking midfielder who was the star in the great Flamengo team of the 70's and 80s and the best player in the Brazil 82 side. He just seemed to have so much more time than those around him. A truly great player.

Everyone in my primary class on 82 wanted to be Zico and had Brazil jersey apart from me ironically as I had a Scotland one :cool:

The 82 World Cup do this day remains my favourite, just so exciting and every game seemed amazing as a kid

Was the first World Cup I can remember. There were two group stages, 4 teams in the first round, three teams in each group in the second round. Brazil , Argentina and Italy were in the same second round group. Now that’s a group of death!
The 82 World Cup do this day remains my favourite, just so exciting and every game seemed amazing as a kid

Reactions: hms
Back