Zlatan firing shots at Carlos Vela

Would have been hilarious if the interviewer replied to the question with "you were stinking out the place at Barcelona".

Carlos Vela has never really lived up to his early hype. Still clearly a decent player but to compare him to Zlatan is madness.

Maybe not the brightest Zlatan?
He's obviously right about Velos not challenging himself by playing in the MLS at 29, but the question was who is the current best player, and with Zlatan turning 39 this year, it's debatable,
MLS is pish in any case, given up watching the Houston Dynamo, as we ust stayed in the bar !

Would have been hilarious if the interviewer replied to the question with "you were stinking out the place at Barcelona".
Plus he was actually very good at Barcelona
He fell out with Guardiola because he treated the team like schoolboys and shaped the team round Messi even though Ibra had been playing well, he confronted guardiola over it and got a muttered response. Read his book, iirc he calls guardiola a coward.

I always think he is like a Sacha Baron Cohen character.
If I had never seen him play football I'd swear he was at the wind-up.

he loves winding people up!

I remember seeing a fly on the wall video where he was interviewing people for job in his company or something, maybe it was a spoof, he was selling this water product and this young delivery lad turns up, pretty much like Deliveroo.

Zlatan tells him to take 4 boxes of water to some address and gives him a hand to to pack it up and as the lad struggles with the weight Zlatan gives him a life size cardboard cut out of himself and says "put this next to the boxes when you deliver this stuff, ok?!"

You could see the lad think "how the f.uck am I going to manage this?" so gingerly says "what about if we fold it?"

the bold one replies, "no, no, Zlatan don't bend for anyone, off you go!" and away he goes looking like an solider on SAS selection with a 100kilo bergen on his back :)):))

He fell out with Guardiola because he treated the team like schoolboys and shaped the team round Messi even though Ibra had been playing well, he confronted guardiola over it and got a muttered response. Read his book, iirc he calls guardiola a coward.

calls him the Philosopher who isn't a man!

He wasn't "very good" at all. He was completely ill-suited to their style of play and was an outrageous signing for the money. Guardiola was right to build the team around Messi because he is superior to Zlatan as a footballer in every way imaginable. The big Swede won't like that, but it's true.

I remember a game, Almeria away, where he was laughably hopeless in the system. He was sent off and Barca proceeded to then play with way more fluidity. That about sums it up.

A wonderful, special talent who I'm glad to have seen play, but let's not rewrite history.

He wasn't "very good" at all. He was completely ill-suited to their style of play and was an outrageous signing for the money. Guardiola was right to build the team around Messi because he is superior to Zlatan as a footballer in every way imaginable. The big Swede won't like that, but it's true.

I remember a game, Almeria away, where he was laughably hopeless in the system. He was sent off and Barca proceeded to then play with way more fluidity. That about sums it up.

A wonderful, special talent who I'm glad to have seen play, but let's not rewrite history.
16 in 29
That’s a very good record for someone who wasn’t suited to a teams style don’t you think?

Not sure what Messi’s record has to do with Ibra and how he performed at Barca.
However it was 53 in 55 over the entire season

There you go. So Guardiola was right.

Also 16 in 29 is not *that* impressive for Barca, the best team in the world, in La Liga at that time. Would expect the most expensive player of all time to be scoring that at the bare minimum.

Love the big man. An arrogant bastard who had the ability to back it up.

What’s not to like!

Scored some absolutely stunning goals as well.

Can’t imagine anyone else attempting his goal v England. Even top class goals like Beckham’s v Wimbledon don’t come close.

A Zlatan masterclass that day.

There you go. So Guardiola was right.

Also 16 in 29 is not *that* impressive for Barca, the best team in the world, in La Liga at that time. Would expect the most expensive player of all time to be scoring that at the bare minimum.

I don’t think his argument is anything to do with Messi (other than the fact he was the schoolboy type that guardiola preferred) but to question why he has bought, why he was dropped for certain games & why guardiola wouldn’t discuss it with him

Zlatan has been on top form since his early days with Malmo, he is a fantastic player and I used to argue with folk on here who said he was pish.
He would assist and score more than Ronaldo and that was with his back to goal, a totally different form of striker.
He is also brilliant at winding people up, and totally deserves his arrogance. Love the guy.

He was hardly stinking out the place. Started very well and then got injured, fell out with Guardiola and they started playing Messi in the middle.

Vela might be having a good year but he’s nowhere near the quality of player Zlatan is

Not even close

Like him or loathe him, the mans not wrong.

Vela was a journeyman who done fairly well at Real Sociedad before he excelled in MLS.

Last edited:
Zlatan is the Djokavic of football. Love the guy. A gallus big bastard. I wish he played for us.

Vela may be having a good year, but Zlatan has been a winner pretty much everywhere. Like the England game above, he can single handedly torment a whole team and score goals other players don't have the skills or balls to attempt. Grade A tosspot for speaking about himself in the 3rd person, but one of the very best footballers there is.

Zlatan to Barca was a mental signing tbh.

Didn't they pay something like £50m (a lot at the time) and swap Eto'o (who won the CL with Inter)?

Love the big man. An arrogant bastard who had the ability to back it up.

What’s not to like!

Scored some absolutely stunning goals as well.

Can’t imagine anyone else attempting his goal v England. Even top class goals like Beckham’s v Wimbledon don’t come close.

A Zlatan masterclass that day.

That video is brilliant.

Strange to see Steven Caulker (recently of Dundee) playing and scoring for England there, not to mention our manager!

Watched LA Galaxy two days ago on freesport 422 against San Jose Earthquake and they were second to every ball, application was near low standard and didn't look interested.

Zlatan had raised eyebrows about his teammates play, but he wasn't amounting to much either. They got beat 3-1 at home.

Well said, big man. Not only put him right about who is better but also had a dig at the MLS with that statement. True though.

LAFC fans are like the tims of the MLS. The game tomorrow is at 7pm and they will be getting hammered all day and then heading over to the stadium. Ultras on both sides already despise each other, LAFC fans have bought up tickets in all areas of the stadium. What could go wrong?

Zlatan to Barca was a mental signing tbh.

Didn't they pay something like £50m (a lot at the time) and swap Eto'o (who won the CL with Inter)?

In a similar way, to any Watford board members looking in, if you'd like to give us £20 million and Andre Gray for Morelos, we're happy to listen to offers.

Back