Zlatan still has it

tottie beck

Tonight was the LA derby between the Galaxy and the new kids on the block, Will Ferrell’s LAFC. Galaxy had lost five of their last seven games, whilst LAFC are running away with the league, ten points ahead of second placed Philadelphia, and 12pts ahead of the Galaxy. LAFC are having a great second season in MLS being led by their young Mexican superstar Carlos Vela, who has 19 goals in 19 games so far.

In the lead up to the game the media tried to stir things up by baiting Zlatan, questioning him if Zela is his heir apparent, as good a player, if not better than Zlatan was at 20. The big man answered with his customary self confidence by saying Zela is nowhere near as good a player as him. Cue a media meltdown. “Who does Zlatan think he is?” “Such arrogance is disrespectful” “He’ll be made to eat his words”, blah, blah, blah.... You get the drift. Zlatan gave his answer on the park. After going behind to a soft 4th minute penalty (won and scored by Zela incidentally) Zlatan stepped up and responded with an outstanding hat trick to drive his side to a 3-2 win.

Love him or loathe him you have to admit the big man delivers when it counts. Days short of his 38th birthday he showed he’s still got it. So chalk another one up for the mighty Zlatan who always seems to back up his talk with action.

Incidentally young Zela got the second LAFC goal in injury time, despite being clearly in an offside position

Gotta love the guy. The last time I saw such arrogance/confidence was by a certain James Curran Baxter.

Love him or loathe him he’s in the right here. No way in this world should he be compared to Vela. Vela is a good player but Zlatan is in a different league now never mind 5 years ago.

look at the 3rd goal after he scores with his opponent "get the f.uck out of my way, Zlatan has to watch people celebrate him!"

post game "go home bitch!"

Terrible highlights but it was brilliant hat trick by the big man, his first is a cracker in any league.

Any reason why there is a guy holding a child wearing earmuffs during the hand shakes at the start ( 38 seconds). I assume he's one of the LAG coaches but seems weird to have kid with him at that point. I guess the child minder let him down for the day and the wife told him take the kid to work :)

Zlatan Ibrahimović after scoring a hattrick against Carlos Vela's team: “I didn’t work all my career to come to the MLS just to be compared to Carlos Vela. The media made a huge mistake. You don’t compare Ferrari’s with Fiats. Tonight I showed I’m the best player in the league.

Superb from the big man.

Back