Zlatan

It's amazing what players can do now with looking after themselves.

To a lesser level we had our own Miller and Weir playing to a good level at a good age

I’ve only really started appreciating him within the past year or so, I don’t particularly like him but he’s an incredible player.

Check the Serie A thread for a touch he made, Joe Aribo would struggle to do it ffs :))

Love him as a player and a character to be honest.

I remember the English pundits years ago saying he was completely overrated etc and they didn't see the hype with him. Then he scored a 40 yard overhead kick against England and started to get the respect he deserves.

Wish football had more guys like him.

Hate to break it to you but I don’t really have to imagine, I saw him in La Liga and he wasn’t particularly good, and that was in a star studded side.
Hate to break it to you but that’s nonsense. What party of his time at Barca made you think he wasn’t very good? 11 goals in 16 games with 4 assists. Everywhere he has played he has been a success and plays with his his back to goal as opposed to Messi and Ronaldo. The guy is incredible and for his age just shows what an athlete he is .

Hate to break it to you but that’s nonsense. What party of his time at Barca made you think he wasn’t very good? 11 goals in 16 games with 4 assists. Everywhere he has played he has been a success and plays with his his back to goal as opposed to Messi and Ronaldo. The guy is incredible and for his age just shows what an athlete he is .

You clearly didn’t tune into their games when he was there. He started well enough but it got to a point where he was so bad he was given a penalty kick as an act of charity, and he certainly didn’t bag any sort of impressive number of goals while he was in that star studded side. He wasn’t good for Barca, that’s why they sold him he didn’t fit their side at all and he didn’t live up to the massive outlay. He also carried on his form as a CL repellent while he was there. They won the tournament either side of Zlatan’s time there by the way.

I'm sure I remember a Champions' League match he played for Barcelona where Victor Valdes (the 'keeper) ran farther in the match than he did. He was clearly unhappy at the time but even still.

Excellent player. Closing in on 40 years old but still banging them in at an elite level when most guys his age are absolutely fucked.

Hate to break it to you but I don’t really have to imagine, I saw him in La Liga and he wasn’t particularly good, and that was in a star studded side.
TBF he was prolific in the Premier League in an average Man Utd team as a 35/36 year old.

TBF he was prolific in the Premier League in an average Man Utd team as a 35/36 year old.

He was but the guy mentioned la liga being easy to score in. I think Zlatan’s brilliant but he didn’t have a good time of it in Spain. Watching him take the piss in the Premier League in a bang average United side was brilliant.

His transfer to Barca was absolutely nuts at the time. They paid about £40-50m plus Eto'o for Zlatan and only kept him for one season.

He was but the guy mentioned la liga being easy to score in. I think Zlatan’s brilliant but he didn’t have a good time of it in Spain. Watching him take the piss in the Premier League in a bang average United side was brilliant.
He’d probably have been a better fit at Real though wouldn’t he?
He must’ve been thinking at Barca “Look at all these wee cunts nipping about everywhere”
One average season where he still won the league, didn’t make him a poor player.

He must’ve been thinking at Barca “Look at all these wee cunts nipping about everywhere”
One average season where he still won the league, didn’t make him a poor player.

That Barca team was a terrible fit for Zlatan. Everything needs to revolve around him - when this is the case he will reciprocate by scoring a lot of goals. But pressing/tracking back etc, even chasing after missplaced passes from team mates - forget it.

He’s certainly never been a poor player, even at Barca he was only a letdown relative to his huge outlay. But I think he would have fit into Madrids side more, he never suited Barca in style or personality I never really understood what made Guardiola think that he would. I remember saying at the time they should have went for Villa, who they replaced him with the following season when they won the CL again.

Still one of my absolute favourite players though, he’s done some unbelievable things on the pitch and to still be doing the business at his age is impressive. For years there was talk of whether or not he could cut it in the Premier League so for him to roll up there at 36 in a bang average United side and score with relative ease was really satisfying.

He’s certainly never been a poor player, even at Barca he was only a letdown relative to his huge outlay. But I think he would have fit into Madrids side more, he never suited Barca in style or personality I never really understood what made Guardiola think that he would. I remember saying at the time they should have went for Villa, who they replaced him with the following season when they won the CL again.

Still one of my absolute favourite players though, he’s done some unbelievable things on the pitch and to still be doing the business at his age is impressive. For years there was talk of whether or not he could cut it in the Premier League so for him to roll up there at 36 in a bang average United side and score with relative ease was really satisfying.
5am and reminding everyone he tipped up Villa for Barca 11 years ago. What a bloke!

Saw Zlatan play for Ajax v Feyenoord in 2003. Best players on the pitch were Emerton for Feyenoord and Maxwell for Ajax.

Did cross my mind the other day if he would have a few months with Spurs from January.

Last edited:
Me and a mate went to see Sweden v Germany in Gothenburg over 10 years ago now, really just to see Zlatan and take in a game with a few pints.

Big bugger pulled out a couple of days before the game but to be fair we got to see basically the whole Germany team who went onto win the World Cup.

Back