Zonal Marking at corners

thehammerlegend

Dear Gio,

Please ditch zonal marking from corners before it ruins our season. We are handing teams free headers in every game, where we might not get punished in the SPL for this, we will definitely get punished in Europe like we did tonight.

Thanks

Thehammerlegend……

P.s can you please tell Kamara that he can pass the ball forward if he likes.

Easy to say ditch zonal but can we really use man marking at corners? We're not a particularly tall or physical team.

Zonal marking can work just not the way we’re doing it. Our blockers in front of our taller players need to do better at blocking. We’re leaving them exposed with no real chance of competing against them.

I know he should’ve done better but it was also what happened for their second goal, we exposed Goldson by not having someone block the man from running. It’s why the guy was about 4 feet higher in the air than Goldson.

That nonsense could wreck our entire season. Scottish hammer throwers will be rubbing their hands together at the thought of a corner.

The big thing for me with McLaughlin going in and replacing McGregor was that “He comes for crosses”.

He’s not came for one yet!

Not a fan. Listened to a clip from BT saying something like the opposition get the run on the defender which is one of the biggest issue with zonal marking.
Helander's winner in the first of game last season is a good example. Helander travels so far to get to it and once he goes up he has so much momentum that a defender who is stationary or has barely moved can't match him. It still requires a great ball but if both of those things happen it should be a goal. A mix of zonal and man marking is the best but we have our best players in the air just standing on the six yard box watching the ball come to them currently instead of them being the ones attacking the ball.

A mix of zonal and man for man is best imo, but zonal needs to attack balls which we don't have in our team...

Kamara... don't understand that criticism he plays the ball forward plenty, only player that always shows and gets the ball moving

It's s a matter of time before it will become a problem in Scotland as most of the teams fill their team with 6"5 giants.
Bin it.

Not a fan. Listened to a clip from BT saying something like the opposition get the run on the defender which is one of the biggest issue with zonal marking.

Exactly what happens.

We bring everyone back at corners, when Walter done this it was to offer a hybrid of zonal and man to man. His first spell he left Gough to generally attack the ball, that should be Goldsons job, does that tonight and he is not standing while the PSV player is 2 foot above him.

Zonal marking is brutal if not done properly, we don’t attack any corners so means we are trying to head the ball out from a standing start position where as the attacker is running 6/7 yards before leaping to head.

This is not a knee jerk reaction, we are in deep trouble at the back if we persist in just zonal marking as we are not doing it right, in fact far from it.

We look like we are going to concede from every corner the opposition gets. Also stops the GK from coming to claim because the 6 yard box is so congested

Yr
Dear Gio,

Please ditch zonal marking from corners before it ruins our season. We are handing teams free headers in every game, where we might not get punished in the SPL for this, we will definitely get punished in Europe like we did tonight.

Thanks

Thehammerlegend……

P.s can you please tell Kamara that he can pass the ball forward if he likes.
Trust me. We WILL be punished in the league with it.

Zonal only works if your brave enough to leave 2 or 3 players out the box so players have space to attack. Instead we bunch everybody up in the box and any decent delivery leads to a chance

Yr

Trust me. We WILL be punished in the league with it.
We’ve been lucky so far, pretty sure Livi had a free header and missed in that game, I might be wrong it have been the killie game. This basically is my whole point we might get away with it in league but it will eventually catch up with us, Europe we won’t get away with it full stop.

Zonal only works if your brave enough to leave 2 or 3 players out the box so players have space to attack. Instead we bunch everybody up in the box and any decent delivery leads to a chance
As I said above, we lack that big b*astard who will clear all in his path.

I hate zonal defending, but I think we're part-conditioned to do so too.

Any type of marking at corners would do - shocking gifts of goals to give away at that level. I thought at 2-1 we had a right chance to take a good grip of the tie

I'm a big fan of Goldson, but I cannot understand what he is doing on either goal, especially the second.

If the delivery is right, you are basically giving attacking side a free header, given they will have the run on defenders. I'm sure the theory of zonal is sound and it looks nice in coaching manuals. But it's an absolute abomination in real world.

Zonal marking can work just not the way we’re doing it. Our blockers in front of our taller players need to do better at blocking. We’re leaving them exposed with no real chance of competing against them.

I know he should’ve done better but it was also what happened for their second goal, we exposed Goldson by not having someone block the man from running. It’s why the guy was about 4 feet higher in the air than Goldson.
This, you must block the runners or you are onto a hiding for nothing.

Second goal exposed this.

Don’t mind zonal marking as such, but the players need to aggressively defend when the ball comes into their zone. We’re far too tentative.

It's next to impossible to defend aggressively if the delivery is right and a player has the run on you.

Said earlier, go back and watch the second goal, Barisic and Kamara are both standing marking areas just in front of the posts, ball goes to the edge of the 6 yard line and beyond meaning they are effectively 2 men down. They might not be great in the air but I'd rather have them inside that area on a man at least clogging the box up and maybe blocking a runner.

Doesn't matter if it's zonal or man marking the first thing you need to do is attack the ball which we didn't do

Don't think it really matters if Goldson is heading the ball for an opposition player to bury it into the net or neglecting his zone for an opposition runner to bury the ball into the net.

Zonal or man marking or a mixture of both is really quite irrelevant. Any system will struggle if you miss clearances or the quality of ball and run is excellent.

Man marking has as many flaws as zonal.

If the delivery is right, you are basically giving attacking side a free header, given they will have the run on defenders. I'm sure the theory of zonal is sound and it looks nice in coaching manuals. But it's an absolute abomination in real world.

And yet statistically it concedes fewer goals than man-marking and the best coaches in the world use it.

One of the problems in it for sure.
Another for me is we don't have that big b*stard who will attack the ball in these situations and clear all in his path.
It's unfortunate to say this, but that's the player that we probably should have been getting in (as an absolute priority) to replace the out-of-contract Goldson this summer.

Wouldn't have been cheap I know, but (like that box-to-box attacking central midfielder) it's something that we've needed to address for a while now.

People deride players "back on their own goal line", but at least they are behind the ball when it comes over from a corner, and they can move forward when they "attack" it.
Helps if they actually try to "attack" it anyway ...

Back