Zurab Khizanishvili

Was he better than James Sands for example? Who was also billed as being versatile. I'd say so, and by a distance
He was significantly better than Sands.

Zurab was actually a very good player but at a time when we were playing a very physical, and decent, celtic side, it wasn't OK to be a centre back that didn't win everything in the air. Note that Marvin Andrews came in and sorted that out.

He suffered from not having a proper leader beside him. Had we played Amo and Zurab then I think that would have been a good duo.

He played in midfield (disastrously vs Auxerre) and right back but never shone in either.

No one can judge him fairly.

He never got a run in one position. Better than sands which seems to be the burning question, however that’s not a high bar.

McLeish and his use of our Georgian players was criminal

Zurab was a decent CB and if left there wouldve improved it he was in and out thr team and shuffled around positions.

Arveladze as a left winger still makes me cry.

Him and Berg got off to a flyer at the start of 03/04 and ZK was winning MotM awards left, right and centre. Everything seemed to go to shit when we broke them up to accommodate Craig Moore (although we had just named him captain so I'm not sure what McLeish could have done differently).

2 inches taller and he’d have been a really top centre half.

Wee bit quicker and he’d have made a great full back.

Bit sharper on the ball and he’d have been a top midfielder.

As it was he was a steady enough player that could do a decent job in 3 positions.

If you take a photo of any player at the point of any significant header impact, their eyes will momentarily shut, I don’t remember that but it’s harsh as f**k to bin him based on that.
I didn't, but lots did. He was labelled a shitebag by some due to that picture.

For me, there was always a wee lapse in concentration or bad mistake in him in every game.

Symptomatic of a good player not quite at the level required.

It didn’t help shifting him between centre half, defensive mid and right back to be fair.

Also, his partnership with Henning Berg at the start of the 03/04 season looked solid enough, and the season only went tits up when Craig Moore came back in to partner Berg:))
Henning Berg was a good player for us in what seemed like a depressingly poor season.

He was a big fish in the small pond of his previous club, but was found floundering after he came to us.
I never rated him at all.

What's everyone's thought on this guy?

I liked him a lot but he never really seemed to settle into a position either due to his versatility or a poor game would see him on the bench for a spell.

Would someone of his ability be an asset, or even a starter in our squad today? I think he'd not be far away.

Think he’s told old now sir

My mate was in his company one night when he played for us, through a friend of a friend, he (Zurab) bought the drinks all night :))

Played him all over the shop but his natural position was centre half. It's just unfortunate that he lacked a bit of the physicality you need in this country for that position.

I liked him a lot but he never really seemed to settle into a position either due to his versatility or a poor game would see him on the bench for a spell.

Would someone of his ability be an asset, or even a starter in our squad today? I think he'd not be far away.
Did Hibs not take us to a tribunal over him, anyway decent player, got injured a lot iirc

He was never physically strong enough which always let him down. A good ball playing defender but if you aren't quick, not particularly good in the air and brushed off the ball too easily then the chances of success at many clubs- let alone ours- are fairly slim.

He was never physically strong enough which always let him down. A good ball playing defender but if you aren't quick, not particularly good in the air and brushed off the ball too easily then the chances of success at many clubs- let alone ours- are fairly slim.
He beefed up significantly at Blackburn and turned into quite a shite-houser.

Maybe my mind is playing tricks but was he signed as Amo"s replacement and we played Dundee in Cup Semi or Final or something and maybe big Amo's last game and very emotional for him.

A good footballer, but struggled in the air at times and could be bullied in the air (by Sutton and Hartson in particular).

Did Hibs not take us to a tribunal over him, anyway decent player, got injured a lot iirc

Dundee.

Aye, they did. Think we ended up paying £75,000 for him. Dundee got him for free when his Georgian team valued him at £5m.

I liked him. Think he was more suited to a back three than a back four but he could play. One of the many McLeish did no favours for TBH.

Back