Podcast New Heart and Hand out - Identity Crisis

He shouldn’t have been waiting to half time to get them up the park.

He should’ve been screaming on that sideline, telling them to get their fucking shitebag arses up the park. It’s the only reason he’s even there on the sideline.

I swear to fucking god almighty, Beale better not manage another game for us. Get him sacked now. If I see him in the dugout one more time, I’m done for the season.

Bisgrove and Bennett better get on the phone to Souness and beg him to get involved with the club some way and get an experienced manager in the door, whatever the cost.

This simply cannot go on.
This is the difference between a manager and a coach. Beale is not the type to be screaming and shouting on the touchline, yes he will give direction but 99% of the time he calls a player over during the break in play. Beale may say harsh words at half time but will he go through a team. He is all about philosophy and direction but that doesn't get the best out of a team. This for me was why Gerrard was manager and Beale his coach.

"When you lose 6 players who play in the front positions you have to sign some, they can't all play at the same time, they can't all play, if they play in the same position, that's obvious"

I really just can't get on board with that

No one is asking them to play at the same time, nothing like, they want some of them starting in a clearly laid out tactical plan.

He does need subs but with the limited budget he is sort of hinting at, it's just a matter of life most of that has to go into the first team as often as possible, it's not wild that for instance most expected our most often "starters" Kent, Morelos and generally Sakala to be replaced by 3 similar players to play big games, with squad players then behind those.

He thinks Matondo has played his way back in to the team OK - PSV at home aside has Matondo really been that good?

Was 20 minutes against Livvy and a game against Morton so much more "form" to justify his selection this season ahead of his signings he has made in the summer? That seems incredibly farfetched and at ends with a lot of his other selections where form seems to be very selective

And if he was picked on the premise of good form, why wasn't he taken out on Sunday given he wasn't good v PSV away

Surely last season over the likes of Kent who was going out the door was the time to let Matondo loose to see if we actually needed to sign to account for Matondo?

If Matondo was for instance a player he knew would feature this season, why wasn't he in our initial European squad and why did we need another winger?

If a team has given us a reasonable offer for Matondo in the window does anyone even think he would be here? He went from out the European squad and not featuring in a game Scott Wright did to starting a game in Europe within the space of 3 weeks, the Matondo experience at the moment is incredibly odd

You can't argue about Roofe playing v Celtic, OK, that's great but before that he had only played about 70 minutes of football against Killie, Morton and Ross County, again is that really form alone to merit such a start

I just can't get into what he is thinking and trying to justify and I know you apparently shouldn't over listen to these things will be said, but they are his words to justify things I am fascinated by, and to me, he is just talking p*sh

"When you lose 6 players who play in the front positions you have to sign some, they can't all play at the same time, they can't all play, if they play in the same position, that's obvious"

I really just can't get on board with that

No one is asking them to play at the same time, nothing like, he does need subs but with the limited budget he is sort of hinting at, it's just a matter of life most of that has to go into the first team as often as possible.

He thinks Matondo has played his way back in to the team OK - PSV at home aside has Matondo really been that good?

Was 20 minutes against Livvy and a game against Morton so much more "form" to justify his selection this season ahead of his signings he has made in the summer? That seems incredibly farfetched and at ends with a lot of his other selections where form seems to be very selective

And if he was picked on the premise of good form, why wasn't he taken out on Sunday given he wasn't good v PSV away

Surely last season over the likes of Kent who was going out the door was the time to let Matondo loose to see if we actually needed to sign to account for Matondo?

If Matondo was for instance a player he knew would feature this season, why wasn't he in our initial European squad and why did we need another winger?

If a team has given us a reasonable offer for Matondo in the window does anyone even think he would be here? He went from out the European squad and not featuring in a game Scott Wright did to starting a game in Europe within the space of 3 weeks, the Matondo experience at the moment is incredibly odd

You can't argue about Roofe playing v Celtic, OK, that's great but before that he had only played about 70 minutes of football against Killie, Morton and Ross County, again is that really form alone to merit such a start

I just can't get into what he is thinking and trying to justify and I know you apparently shouldn't over listen to these things will be said, but they are his words to justify things I am fascinated by, and to me, he is just talking p*sh
Let’s be honest. Every time he opens his mouth he talks pish and contradicts himself on something he has previously said.

He signed Lammers, a striker who has played as a 10 four times in his entire career, and said from the beginning he was a number 10. He has signed 3 number 9’s while we still also had Roofe yet has totally ignored the defence.

The points are well made, we’ve regressed - fact. We have no style of play - fact. When they scored I also knew we couldn’t score two. And as Andy mentions it’s early September and all the optimism has been sucked out of the support. It’s not coming back for him

He was asked specifically about our long ball tactics and if that was how the team was being instructed to play.

He answered, there was an anxiousness in our play and blamed the back four for sitting too deep. They spoke about it at half time and you could see we were 15-20 yards further up the pitch and whilst we could've created more, we had enough chances to score. Certainly more than Celtic. Factual I suppose but, doesn't really answer the question or begin to tell the story of the game.

Later on he did admit that the connect between midfield and attack wasn't where it should be and that's what we will be working on.
Why wait until half time? Pull your captain over and give him verbals to get it sorted. Stuff like this does my head in.

Why wait until half time? Pull your captain over and give him verbals to get it sorted. Stuff like this does my head in.
Agree. But Celtic also had a couple of chances to bury the game. Especially maeda in second half

The roadmap for the remainder of the month is writ. Struggle in Perth, pumped by Betis midweek and an unconvincing win against Motherwell at Ibrox. I'm not even convinced he gets change out of Martindale in the League cup, wouldn't be stunned if we bungled it. Yet we'll trundle on. Went to bed last night hoping I'd wake up a notification from Twitter/X telling me they'd put him and us out our collective misery.

Great Pod, mirrored my mood to a tee and hammered home my own thoughts on the state of play. Just what a mess we are in. I'm still reeling from it. Like Andy said, I cant fathom how he managed to piss away the buzz of the summer inside 9 competitive games. Even the Morton game was grim for fucksake.
The Morton game was embarrassing basically because we don't press and let teams play..even diddy teams.

I left that Morton game utterly despondent. Was expecting some really exciting play and cracking goals. It was a slog.

I was on holiday and couldn't watch the game. I was expecting to see a nice confidence boosting win with plenty of new boys scoring goals when I checked the score late on that evening. Even Pedro managed that before he got the sack.

I was on holiday and couldn't watch the game. I was expecting to see a nice confidence boosting win with plenty of new boys scoring goals when I checked the score late on that evening. Even Pedro managed that before he got the sack.
Body language and attitude was wrong. Same on Sunday. I said at the game that the attitude comes from the manager, captain and vice captain. They are three losers unfortunately. Roofe was trying to gee them up but they looked despondent at times

I listened this morning and although it didn’t make me feel any better regarding our situation which is not usually the case I did agree with pretty much all the views made as they reflected my own. Not so on Sunday on the Car pod though but each to their own.

I listened this morning and although it didn’t make me feel any better regarding our situation which is not usually the case I did agree with pretty much all the views made as they reflected my own. Not so on Sunday on the Car pod though but each to their own.
I’ve read this mentioned on other threads, what was the jist of this on Sunday?

Precisely. I doubt the squad were pining for Dick Advocaat when Eck came in and won 5 trophies out of 6. Just get the right guy in and things will settle down.
That's my opinion too. I think a decent manager could get a tune out of the current squad if they were set up correctly with the right philosophy.
Get us to Xmas then sign some defenders.

Don't shoot me, but even Ally McCoist's name crossed my mind I'm that disgruntled with Beale! Fed up to fcuk with him!

That's my opinion too. I think a decent manager could get a tune out of the current squad if they were set up correctly with the right philosophy.
Get us to Xmas then sign some defenders.

Don't shoot me, but even Ally McCoist's name crossed my mind I'm that disgruntled with Beale! Fed up to fcuk with him!
It’s anyone but Beale at this point, not in reality, but that’s the sentiment. He is absolutely cooked

I’ve read this mentioned on other threads, what was the jist of this on Sunday?
Ach it was no big deal to be honest. The consensus on there was that it was too early to bin MB. Also, the players on the park should take some of the blame for the performance. For me it was 100% on the Manager and that he should be gone asap. Just my opinion though.

No Manager can repeatedly keep changing his first eleven, especially up front, and expect to see cohesion and structure on the pitch. This has been pointed out endlessly on here. We have no gameplan or team purpose whatsoever. Its staggering that Beale, who is regarded as a good coach, cannot see this for himself. We are aimless and rudderless.

Great listen.
Strange game.
Reminded me about early Gerrard when v Celtic at Ibrox we pressed and beat them. Next Ibrox match v Celtic we sat back and lost (may also have been after a Euro game?). Lack of bravery I would say. 4 league rounds in though, too early for the axe. September, favourable domestic fixtures and Betis, see how we do then assess.
Game after we beat Legia Warsaw at Ibrox gerrard tried to be a smart arse and played 5 centre mids and Defoe instead of alfie his midfield was davis jack kamara with Aribo and arfield wide and Defoe through the middle , celtic were a better side at the time mind you but gerrard made a james blunt of it

The team is riddled with anxiety, thus the lack of confidence of even a League Cup success - what a position to be in...

@DavidEdgar & Andy again showing the best of H&H and I thought Ross was excellent.

Why did it take until half time to tell the defenders they were too deep. If they were instructed pre match to be 20 yards further up the park then wtf was our captain doing, why was Beale sitting on his hands and not screaming at the players. Sounds like sound bites and bus throwing

Agree on many points. We have a good squad who can win things….if deployed correctly. But this constant tinkering with players and positions is on MB. He is running out of time and fast.

Only thing I don’t agree with it that Gerrard only had a connection with the fans because of who he was.

Yeah, COVID maybe saved his bacon at the very end of that last bad run he had, but even with the first couple of versions of his side, we could all see a clear plan and a clear way of playing - from game one as well.

As well as that, he stood up for the club, the fans and treated the rest of Scottish football - specifically the papes - with the contempt it and they deserved.

I don’t think David or any of the guys were saying Gerrard’s status was the only reason we had an attachment to him by the way, because they weren’t, but for me it was being able to see what he wanted to do very early on.

With Beale, there’s nothing remotely close to that.

Only thing I don’t agree with it that Gerrard only had a connection with the fans because of who he was.

Yeah, COVID maybe saved his bacon at the very end of that last bad run he had, but even with the first couple of versions of his side, we could all see a clear plan and a clear way of playing - from game one as well.

As well as that, he stood up for the club, the fans and treated the rest of Scottish football - specifically the papes - with the contempt it and they deserved.

I don’t think David or any of the guys were saying Gerrard’s status was the only reason we had an attachment to him by the way, because they weren’t, but for me it was being able to see what he wanted to do very early on.

Excellent post

Oh 100% mate. I always felt there was progress.

For want of a better word, I believed in him bringing us success.

We had Ufa by the end of August. Qualifying for the EL group stages was huge.

Back