Match Thread Rangers v Aris Limassol - 20:00 Thursday - TNT Sports

So Cantwell can’t play as a 10 and play young Ross or Matondo??? We’re playing with 9 men the way we started.
Matondo is just back and he's already said nit fit enough to not start ... as for cantwell he's been shocking for weeks Sunday he was absolutely shocking cost the goal tonight and in general his play was terrible too much fan dancing

He selected Lammers and Cifuentes.
He played Cantwell in a position where he is not very effective.
He did not start Tom Lawrence.

At the start Lawrence should have been where Cifuentes was, Cantwell where Lammers was and McCausland where Cantwell was.
Had we started with those players in those positions. we would have won the game, probably quite easily.
So rather than play Cantwell out of position, play Lawrence out of position in a midfield two when he's just finding fitness after a year out?

McCausland for Cantwell, I agree. If Cantwell isn't playing the ten, don't start him. Can see the gamble but as PC said, Cantwell didn't stay wide, which was the plan. So he got hooked for it.

Not saying I think Lammers or Cifuentes should have started or played as much as they did but let's not make out Cantwell has done more than he actually what has this season. Scored a single goal and has two assists. That's what he's contributed so far and then not following the game plan, you've no excuses at getting pulled before half time.

I don't think they're as bad as people say. Think they're dangerous up front.
Taking 1 point from a bunch of Cypriot joiners and plumbers.
We are all saying from the weakest team in the group I raise you the weakest team in the Europa League apart from us obviously.

Lammers, Dessers, Cifuentes. Wow just wow. Beale has done us but it’s about time PC dropped all to the B team. He should have seen enough now. More than enough. If he keeps playing any of them he becomes complicit.

Don’t talk nonsense. Clement will never be complicit for this mess.

Who? Who does he bring in?

Until we gut this squad of losers and replace them, Clement has no options

Butland 6 - one excellent save, hung out to dry for goal

Tav 4 - pulling a tractor all game and so tired of "tavs ball"
souttar 3 - just not good
davies 5 - for the most part ok
Borna 3 - coward for 90% of the match

Lundstram 3 - back to Beale performances, often marking anyone but the opposition
Cifuentes 3 - horrible first 20 mins, ok after but ok isn't good enough

Sima 5 - knackered after carrying us for weeks
Lammers 0 - did nothing but actively work against us
Cantwell 2 - too busy showboating to get the job done, harsh to hook given lammers was worse but still poor

Danilo 4 - started well, faded awfully and missed 2 v good chances

Subs
Mccausland 6 - did well, took goal well, should've scored 1 or 2 more and was too honest when tripped in box

Matondo 2 - awful

Lawrence 2 - an utter myth now, runs for 5.mins then hides, takes an age to set for a shot and by then its blocked

Cifuentes did ok I thought, not really any worse than Lundstrum, it’s the players ahead of these two that are the problem and the reason we didn’t win tonight. Was a flat performance all round but where we might have got a spark, from someone putting the ball in the net, and glossing over the performance, the chances were missed.

To be fair, he doesn’t escape serious criticism tonight. When the fans are mocking your substitutions because they are utterly ridiculous and you still can’t beat the dross we played tonight, it’s not a good look.
Won’t argue that obviously doesn’t like Cantwell for whatever reason I know he is not playing well but why no one wants to play him in the 10 role is baffling.
This group of players have no character no steel powder puff shit to be honest no one takes responsibility on one can create it is depressing to watch the club represented like this by these charlatans

Lundstram 3 - back to Beale performances, often marking anyone but the opposition

Cantwell 2 - too busy showboating to get the job done, harsh to hook given lammers was worse but still poor

Subs
Mccausland 6 - did well, took goal well, should've scored 1 or 2 more and was too honest when tripped in box

Matondo 2 - awful

Lawrence 2 - an utter myth now, runs for 5.mins then hides, takes an age to set for a shot and by then its blocked
Some of this is so laughable. I'll give you the benefit of having watched it from behind your sofa while those of us at the match saw a different game.

Borna - did nothing wrong that others didn't do (and I'm not a fan of his usually)

Cantwell - got caught out trying to make something happen while no-one else was and whilst playing in a position he hates

Lundstram - Jesus H Christ! - he was our mom by a long long way - he can't play in all 11 positions at the same time although tonight I wished he could

Cifuentes - what were the 3 marks for exactly? Was that the 3 touches that he didn't fcuk up?

Lawrence - did more in his first 5 minutes than Lammers did in 60

Genuine question. Was this the first football game you've ever seen mate? The idea you put Lundstram and Cifuentes on a par in that game will keep me awake all night worrying about you.

Subs

Matondo 2 - awful

Your having a laugh mate and i,m left wondering how much bucky you had in you while the game went on.
Borna,did little wrong but go ahead ,just salt the guy as it seems the trendy thing to do lately.
One of our most consistant players imo.
Cantwell ,wtf was our boss thinking wanting our most creative talent to hog the right wing berth.Yes he lost the ball prior to the goal but it was outside THEIR box .
One long ball ,2 centre halfs and a quick forward .I was beamed back to the sheep pen on Sunday.
Thats 4 different central defenders in one week left in the wake of one forward but go ahead ,blame Cantwell just like our new manager.
Lawerance at least tried .
Lammers,waste of a jersey,as was Cifuentes who is bloody awful,Tav his usual mince and Mantondo was a joke in his short cameo.
Lunstram easily our best player and Butland must be thinking he,s having a bad dream .
Young M c Causland did well

Think I’ll sleep on it before seeing how I feel about tonight.

Right now all I can say is that if I was a shareholder I’d be looking at our recent transfer activity and asking serious questions. It’s either gross incompetence or something rotten.

Because this squad is a heap of utter shite.

Last edited:
Finally cheered up enough to post something. Usually I post in the car on the way home (wife driving!) but tonight was too depressed and angry to do so. Now I've calmed down a bit.

First of all I listened to some of the pish from Phil after the game and it was terrible. Players who have been injured, players who haven't been playing much, players who are too young to play 2 games in a row, a player who has just "..had a baby" (Sima - er, no he hasn't Phil - his partner did, and so what?), etc. etc.

He tried to blame Cantwell because he wouldn't play like a winger, followed it up 2 mins later by saying he knows Cantwell's not a winger but he had nobody else to play right wing. Tell you what Phil - play with no fcuking right winger then!! Or play McCausland from the start even for a 2nd game, or start Matondo! Do any of that and play Cantwell as the 10 where he should be. Or Lawrence even.

But strangely he never mentioned his star man Mr Lammers - quite possibly the worst Rangers player of all time in his position, including when we were down the leagues. No, he plays ahead of Cantwell and Lawrence. His fresh air shot after 2 minutes told me all I needed to know as if I didn't know already.

And Cifuentes?? Apparently he's been injured and is not up to speed. Well why start him then?? Plus,, even if he was fully up to speed would that make him pass in a straight line or trap a bag of sand?? The guy is a fcuking dud full stop.

That was one of the worst post-match interviews I've heard. Even the extremely tame BBC shortbread reporters who served him up dollies to smash away must have been pissing themselves at his answers. Not good enough Phil - you fcuked up the starting line up and cost us the points. Stop blaming circumstances - it was Aris Limassol not Real Madrid we were playing.

On the performances tonight I have just replied to a diddy who gave both Lundstram and Cifuentes 3 out of 10. Where do I start with that? Lundstram was immense until he tired from trying to do 9 other player's jobs for them. A solid 7, possibly 8 out of 10 over the 90. On the other hand , to give Cifuentes 3 is an insult to any other players given an honest 3 for poor performances. What were the 3 marks for? The three straight passes he made? That guy is not a footballer. I'd be checking his passport etc. because I think he may be someone's gardener or something, who's faked an identity. He actually took attention away from how pish Lammers was until he went off. He has to be shipped out in January. Free transfer. Off the wage bill. Lammers should go with him.

For me tonight - Butland, Lundstram, McCausland get pass marks. Danilo and Sima early on were okay. The rest were mainly poor. Lammers and Cifuentes were criminal. I hope he doesn't get stubborn about Lammers in particular because if he does he will get the sack as a result of it.

Awful performance, awful result, awful pishy excuses from the manager - not a good night at all.

PS - it might get worse because in his interview he told us that several more players were "..having babies .." in January and February and that we should therefore expect more of the same drops in performance from them also. Jeezus.

Your having a laugh mate and i,m left wondering how much bucky you had in you while the game went on.
Borna,did little wrong but go ahead ,just salt the guy as it seems the trendy thing to do lately.
One of our most consistant players imo.
Cantwell ,wtf was our boss thinking wanting our most creative talent to hog the right wing berth.Yes he lost the ball prior to the goal but it was outside THEIR box .
One long ball ,2 centre halfs and a quick forward .I was beamed back to the sheep pen on Sunday.
Thats 4 different central defenders in one week left in the wake of one forward but go ahead ,blame Cantwell just like our new manager.
Lawerance at least tried .
Lammers,waste of a jersey,as was Cifuentes who is bloody awful,Tav his usual mince and Mantondo was a joke in his short cameo.
Lunstram easily our best player and Butland must be thinking he,s having a bad dream .
Young M c Causland did well
Absolutely spot on - practically mirrored my post. Anyone at the game saw all this.

Patience, patience. We were not great to be fair, but on the other hand our new manager got another opportunity to look at a different permutation. Change is gradual and things will take time as our manager pointed out. Getting hysterical doesn't solve anything.

Finally cheered up enough to post something. Usually I post in the car on the way home (wife driving!) but tonight was too depressed and angry to do so. Now I've calmed down a bit.

First of all I listened to some of the pish from Phil after the game and it was terrible. Players who have been injured, players who haven't been playing much, players who are too young to play 2 games in a row, a player who has just "..had a baby" (Sima - er, no he hasn't Phil - his partner did, and so what?), etc. etc.

He tried to blame Cantwell because he wouldn't play like a winger, followed it up 2 mins later by saying he knows Cantwell's not a winger but he had nobody else to play right wing. Tell you what Phil - play with no fcuking right winger then!! Or play McCausland from the start even for a 2nd game, or start Matondo! Do any of that and play Cantwell as the 10 where he should be. Or Lawrence even.

But strangely he never mentioned his star man Mr Lammers - quite possibly the worst Rangers player of all time in his position, including when we were down the leagues. No, he plays ahead of Cantwell and Lawrence. His fresh air shot after 2 minutes told me all I needed to know as if I didn't know already.

And Cifuentes?? Apparently he's been injured and is not up to speed. Well why start him then?? Plus,, even if he was fully up to speed would that make him pass in a straight line or trap a bag of sand?? The guy is a fcuking dud full stop.

That was one of the worst post-match interviews I've heard. Even the extremely tame BBC shortbread reporters who served him up dollies to smash away must have been pissing themselves at his answers. Not good enough Phil - you fcuked up the starting line up and cost us the points. Stop blaming circumstances - it was Aris Limassol not Real Madrid we were playing.

On the performances tonight I have just replied to a diddy who gave both Lundstram and Cifuentes 3 out of 10. Where do I start with that? Lundstram was immense until he tired from trying to do 9 other player's jobs for them. A solid 7, possibly 8 out of 10 over the 90. On the other hand , to give Cifuentes 3 is an insult to any other players given an honest 3 for poor performances. What were the 3 marks for? The three straight passes he made? That guy is not a footballer. I'd be checking his passport etc. because I think he may be someone's gardener or something, who's faked an identity. He actually took attention away from how pish Lammers was until he went off. He has to be shipped out in January. Free transfer. Off the wage bill. Lammers should go with him.

For me tonight - Butland, Lundstram, McCausland get pass marks. Danilo and Sima early on were okay. The rest were mainly poor. Lammers and Cifuentes were criminal. I hope he doesn't get stubborn about Lammers in particular because if he does he will get the sack as a result of it.

Awful performance, awful result, awful pishy excuses from the manager - not a good night at all.

PS - it might get worse because in his interview he told us that several more players were "..having babies .." in January and February and that we should therefore expect more of the same drops in performance from them also. Jeezus.
In my day you left having bairns tae the wummin, we got oot the road and started working overtime to pay for the greedy little fecker's. They never stopped their Da's from playing football and if they were born on a Saturday you never saw them till the following week!
Ah, the good old days!

Matondo is just back and he's already said nit fit enough to not start ... as for cantwell he's been shocking for weeks Sunday he was absolutely shocking cost the goal tonight and in general his play was terrible too much fan dancing
He’s struggling out on the wing as he’s not a winger. Play him in his position it’s not rocket science. We’ve got a guy in his position that is genuinely awful.

our manager got a good look last night at what could be waiting for him down the line, his team booed off the park after less than 10 games in charge, his substitutions audibly mocked by a large part of the ground, this is a support that's close to the end of its tether, he most certainly deserves the time to build and shape his own team ,and i am more than willing to give him the time to do this, but i have grave concerns that any more performances and team selections like last night can see this support turn on the team, at the very least we should be able to see our players do the very basics, but everything seems lazy, lethargic and at times totally erratic,its clear to most of us that there is a paucity of talent in our team so we cannot keep giving playing time to guys that continually let us down,

Limassol were well organised,and well coached within their limitations. Confident to knock the ball about and even take chances. Packed defence and hitting on the break. A decent team. We, on the other hand, seemed nervous and found it difficult to pass the ball quickly forward, even in the 2nd half.

Cantwell lost the ball near the halfway line and it cost us dearly. Ross was reasonably decent and a masterly equaliser. Lundstram worked his socks off, but to no avail as Lammers and Cifuentes were passengers. Danilo missed a decent chance. Jim Forrest would have scored.

Overall, our crowd made some of the players nervous. We had nobody to take it down the line and cross. Always inside, making it easy for Limassol to defend. Life ain’t looking rosy at the moment.

One moment that has come back to me that sums up this team just now and that performance last night.

When we should have been chasing the game, Souttar took the ball on a run up the park, dragging a few of their players out of position as he goes into their half, he looks up and absolutely no-one is showing for the ball or making any kind of movement for him. Inevitably he runs into traffic and the chance to start an attack is gone, a bunch of chancers.

Gutless, I just don’t know what the midfield was trying.

The Centre Backs were liable at the goal.

There is a chance Cantwell ignored instructions but it was some decision.

We have wanted a Manager with stanes we seem to have one.
The interview for radio, he said cantwell kept coming inside against instructions

He selected Lammers and Cifuentes.
He played Cantwell in a position where he is not very effective.
He did not start Tom Lawrence.

At the start Lawrence should have been where Cifuentes was, Cantwell where Lammers was and McCausland where Cantwell was.
Had we started with those players in those positions. we would have won the game, probably quite easily.
Tom wasn’t fit to start coisty,
manager said as much in radio interviews.
and we saw it on the field.

Two games.

Two bad results.

Similar self-inflicted wounds.

Aberdeen was more costly than last night.
Aye the thing ah find hurts me most is Todd Cantwell. Ah stood up in a pub of timmies and said he's alright he refused ta blow smoke up Chris Suttons and at one point i felt we could be lookin at a real talismanic hero. But nah the last 2 games he's showing why Norwich let him go .It's the big time charlie up north syndrome all over in a book if it isnae the Todd Cantwell show than he's taking his ball home. Also ah dont like the wee bit of jumping to the floor in anticipation of contact he's picked up recently. This is a mans game and he needs to add a bit of arsewhole to his game to befit himself in a league where theres no hiding .

Ah still have high hopes for the lad

Back