Here’s what the new Bernabeu will look like

Glad I was there four years ago before this was started. Saw a model of it on the stadium tour, didn’t like it then and now it’s reality I still don’t.

The outside looks like a big George Foreman grill :D

Looking forward to getting a look at that. Bernabeu was already impressive

The noise when the pitch is being elevated is really annoying , and all that metal baking in the Spanish heat will surely cause no end of problems. Basically they’ll have a retractable roof and pitch , not that good or that big a deal. Wouldn’t want it for Ibrox tbh far too much faffing around and fuss for me.

You can only admire the level of ambition, and hope that one day those in charge of our club have the same.
Madrid is the capital city of 4 million souls in a country of 40 million.
In truth we are in a provincial city with a population of 650 thousand.
That is the reality.

Incredible stadium, although as much as they look fantastic and I get why they are doing it, I do love an old skool football ground.

What a stadium.

Slightly different looking from your Scottish football match day experience, but then financially it’s not even the same sport.

Not for me. It looks like a futuristic shopping mall with a football pitch within.
agree mate, no doubt it has state of the art everything, but looks like all other modern stadiums, ask yourself this, if you were given a choice to swap that for Ibrox, would you do it? I wouldn't

Would it not have been easier to just have a retractable cover 6 feet above the pitch that could house all the UV lights and irrigation etc that could support the other stuff happening on top of it?

Seems overthought to me.

Anyone who has spoken to a Software Sales consultant will know what is said and what is done are radically different .
Let’s see the reality of this project is my thinking .

Ibrox, De Kuip, San Siro, Mestalla all shit over these overthought corporate monstrosities.

Don't @ me with the 'dilapidated shitehole' chat on some of the above names - i'm not interested. Football will rue the day when the last of the great European grounds is bulldozed.

Dinosaur who resists change RSC.

So basically the same Bernebau, but with a retractable roof and retractable pitch. No change in capacity. More to do with the non-football side.

They're stacking a pitch under ground.

Meanwhile, we still play on pitches with slopes like Fir Park and Easter Rd.

Or pitches made of plastic and tyre rubber.
Easter Road slope was gone in 2000. You used to notice the difference in the 2 end stands. One was about 8ft above the pitch.
Now they’re level

Madrid is the capital city of 4 million souls in a country of 40 million.
In truth we are in a provincial city with a population of 650 thousand.
That is the reality.
Always think Glasgow sells itself short. The true population is closer to 1.3million, but due to idiotic boundaries and political manipulation it’s kept low..

Always think Glasgow sells itself short. The true population is closer to 1.3million, but due to idiotic boundaries and political manipulation it’s kept low..
True, but if you factor in the outlying districts of Madrid what is the population?
I honestly don't know.

FC Spain and everything about it is such a turn off for me. People will no doubt accuse me of jealousy but it really isn’t.

Back in the early to mid 00’s after the initial ‘Galactico’ spree, their books were in bad shape to such an extent that they had to sell their training ground to Madrid City Council. Of course, MCC gifted it back to them. Subsequent accusations of state aid were rubbished and thrown out by the EU.

The whole shooting match is corrupt.

Impressive. I like it when teams like spurs and real Madrid modernise there existing stadiums without moving to the outskirts next to a motorway with nothing else in the area. Maintenance team will be busy once it’s finished. awaiting the usual comments about it being another ‘soulless‘ stadium because its modern and doesn’t have a red brick facade.

You can only admire the level of ambition, and hope that one day those in charge of our club have the same.

More than a bit harsh.

Those in charge of our club are not particularly (in the big league) wealthy and have all contributed to saving our club and keeping the lights on.

I live just round the corner.

It’s the same place but the footprint is bigger. They removed the shopping centre from the south east corner and the roof of the stadium.

I lived in Madrid 2001-02, on out past Retiro park from the centre. Went to the Bernabeu twice, Calderon once and out to Rayo Vallecano once that season.

Was back visiting in 2016 and did the Bernabeu stadium tour, it was absolutely superb. It's self directed so you just follow the arrows, through the museum out into the stands, walk right round, down onto the pitch, in through the tunnel, into the dressing rooms out via the shop.

Absolutely loved it and you get the real sense of history in the stadium, you can feel it in the air....so I'm saddened to see this space ship being built in it's place. :)

Back