Ross Wilson interview

Great interview and clear as day he is saying that Rangers and all modern forward thinking clubs have contingencies and are constantly updating them. Wilson was doing this long before Gerrard decided to leave.

Some amount of folk lacking basic comprehension. We get riled when the media misinterpret interviews and put a negative slant on them, not sure why some on here are doing the same.

I think we all know succession planning is the remit of almost all DoFs nowadays.

I don’t think anyone seriously expected us to be caught with our trousers down when Gerrard announced he wanted away, but the point I was making that seems to be getting a little lost on some, is that Wilson appears to be hinting that Gerrard’s decision to ‘go and do something else’ was made a good while longer than two weeks ago.

RW mentioned he was good friends with Gerrard. I'd imagine there were informal conversations where Gerrard intimated his desire for a fresh challenge, likely at the end of the season. That would have put RW on a more serious alert in terms of looking at viable candidates.

While Gerrard's public utterances have been questionable, privately he's probably been open with RW and the Club.

Always like hearing from Ross. Really hits home how much more professional a club we’ve become in recent years when you listen to him discuss the process and procedures that were already in place before Gerrard indicated he was leaving.

Good interview, he’s clearly excited about the appointment and all told I’m pleased we’ve acted swiftly to get it done.

Buzzing for Sunday now.

Great interview and clear as day he is saying that Rangers and all modern forward thinking clubs have contingencies and are constantly updating them. Wilson was doing this long before Gerrard decided to leave.

Some amount of folk lacking basic comprehension. We get riled when the media misinterpret interviews and put a negative slant on them, not sure why some on here are doing the same.
Jeezo!

I’m not disputing Wilson would have had a list of potential replacements in mind - it’s his job - but the words he uses fudge the timeline of Gerrard’s decision to ‘go and do something else.’

I simply felt that was worthy of comment.

Listen to what he said again.

He could have said, “As part of our succession planning we’ve been tracking a number of potential future Rangers managers for some time so that when Stephen said he wanted to go and do something else, we already had a list of names to turn to.”

But he doesn’t.

I think Wilson chose his words very carefully there.
That’s how I heard and interpreted the interview.

Imo that’s the best interview I’ve ever seen by Ross Wilson

Feels like what we have done here is the best we could do so that’s very positive . No guarantees on anything in life but if you do your very best that’s all that’s possible and let the footballing gods take there course . Careers can turn on very few actions or incidents so if everyone is tuned in collectively we can be hopeful of good times.

RW mentioned he was good friends with Gerrard. I'd imagine there were informal conversations where Gerrard intimated his desire for a fresh challenge, likely at the end of the season. That would have put RW on a more serious alert in terms of looking at viable candidates.

While Gerrard's public utterances have been questionable, privately he's probably been open with RW and the Club.
Finally.

Thank you!

I recall seeing Ross Wilson interviewed in his former role at Southampton, when he spoke about the "Black Box" analysis his team performed. He said that as well as having three to four potential players scrutinised in advance for every position, in the event they lose players, this was the same for the Manager role. He actually said it was more important for that role, as a Manager leaving and his Backroom staff can decimate the whole place.

Hope someone has a similar succession plan for Ross Wilson.

Can imagine all the crash barriers going into overdrive on SM about his comment saying that GVB is our 17th permanent manager. These type of comments are like a Red Flag to a Bull in any tims head.......Lovely ;)

Cracking interview to be fair - comes across as being in charge.

I remember Advocaat saying in an interview about how he didn’t like, “ surprises”.. Wilson was well aware that Gerrard was going to leave relatively soon and was ready for it with a few folk to sound out.

Fantastic interview and really brings home how professional Rangers football club now are especially in the scouting and recruitment market I know they have and will be some failures but we have come along way in a short time

It wouldn't surprise me that Ross and the Board would have been one step ahead long before Gerrard made any decision. As he said we are a forward thinking progressive Club. What a difference to have these guys on board.
Part of his job is to maintain an up to date list of targets for all players and football-related staff. So when someone leaves, the search is already done and they know the first, second and third choices to replace them.

Cracking interview, btw.

That was a brilliant interview. Let’s remember his actions here the next time we hit a bump in the road, and show more confidence in the job the fella does.

Is it just me or did Wilson make it sound like the Gerrard announcement wasn't as out the blue as we first thought?
It wasn’t out of the blue at all… seems the players saw it, some fans could see it in the press conferences.
The lack of urgency all round the team indicated that something wasn’t right.

Wilson worked with him every day and I’d wager he was expecting it.

One thing no-one has mentioned is that Steven Gerrard had a lower value name at Scrabble than Ange Postecoglou:

Steven Gerrard = 18
Ange Postecoglou = 21

That was a bit worrying, but now we have

Giovanni van Brockhorst = 40

That's nearly twice the score of the fat Aussie!

Another way we're pumping them :))

When you look at the Annual Gers Meeting from yesterday - you can’t help but admire how well and professionally run our club is.

Carrying out a process like that within a week is a decent achievement, despite some that wanted a new Manger in place by last weekend :))

I think he has been in the coffee shops, for sure, for sure!:))
A massive well done to Ross, he was brought in to do this very thing, and he has done it very smoothly, and got his first choice man!
I think the board have shown to be up to the standards we expect, no more Murty/Pedro’s, now we have a proper manager, and he’s a bear!
Well done everyone at the club, the future is bright, the future is ORANGE!

Watched it earlier on Youtube thought he came across really well and did a great job of identifying managers quickly and getting Gio in.
Saved me getting the bin bag out to stand outside Ibrox. :)

Top work. Compare and contrast to the mentally challengeds drawn out search for a manager.

Can we fully put on record here that Ross Wilson sat at his desk, before any news broke about Gerrard going, phoning every member of staff and every player, keeping them in the loop and to not worry.

Mr Gerrard was out the door without a word, Ross held it all together.

Credit to our club.

I remember all the doom mongers when it was first touted that we would go the DOF route.
Plenty people didn’t see the need for it.
The last week has shown exactly why we need a competent DOF.
There was no chance of being stuck with a Murty type for months on his watch, even less chance of a McInnes situation either.

Great interview from him, he's had a big week and got us in the manager that the vast majority of us wanted!

Reactions: TQ3
Back