Ross Wilson interview

I met Ross Wilson when I was on a flight to Holland to see Southampton play Feyenoord (ironically ) he is a top bloke , very assertive, straight talking.
I can see why he does upset people, didn’t talk to him for long but I didn’t have a problem with him, asked about his plans other than the game of course. He commented on how he was well looked after by Feyenoord.
Wilson also appeared a the yearly fans forum.He tended to boss the event and was happy to answer any criticisms.

I remember all the doom mongers when it was first touted that we would go the DOF route.
Plenty people didn’t see the need for it.
The last week has shown exactly why we need a competent DOF.
There was no chance of being stuck with a Murty type for months on his watch, even less chance of a McInnes situation either.
DOF needed , to leave it to Directors to sort is a thing the past.

Comes across very well in that. Great to hear Gio is excited & will be at the game on Sunday, but understandably not in the dugout.

Positive to hear Gio wants to work with & improve the players. Sounds hands on.

Let's Gio.

I met Ross Wilson when I was on a flight to Holland to see Southampton play Feyenoord (ironically ) he is a top bloke , very assertive, straight talking.
I can see why he does upset people, didn’t talk to him for long but I didn’t have a problem with him, asked about his plans other than the game of course. He commented on how he was well looked after by Feyenoord.
Wilson also appeared a the yearly fans forum.He tended to boss the event and was happy to answer any criticisms.
The story I was told by someone who knows him about how he got started in Football seems quite interesting. He basically badgered Falkirk into letting him help out putting out cones etc.Then once he got in he impressed so much that John Hughes wanted him in a sporting development role. Guys a very driven individual.

a fantastic interview, he looks as excited as us.
i genuinely believe this will kickstart our season,
and lead us to 56,
welcome home gvb

It’s an absolutely excellent interview. My one issue is, who’s in charge on Sunday? I don’t like the thought of there not being one person who has the final say on things.

The story I was told by someone who knows him about how he got started in Football seems quite interesting. He basically badgered Falkirk into letting him help out putting out cones etc.Then once he got in he impressed so much that John Hughes wanted him in a sporting development role. Guys a very driven individual.
He did, he basically showed up at Falkirk asking for job. They liked his enthusiasm and ambition so gave him a job, then he obviously worked himself up the ranks.

There was a cracking article in the athletic about him, brought in over a few million in transfer fees for Falkirk.

I understood it as he tracks other managers constantly, as any big, forward thinking club doesThe story I was told by someone who knows him about how he got started in Football seems quite interesting. He basically badgered Falkirk into letting him help out putting out cones etc.Then once he got in he impressed so much that John Hughes wanted him in a sporting development role. Guys a very driven individual.
Southampton has had a line of succession for a while they had to replace Ross Wilson quickly

It wasn’t out of the blue at all… seems the players saw it, some fans could see it in the press conferences.
The lack of urgency all round the team indicated that something wasn’t right.

Wilson worked with him every day and I’d wager he was expecting it.
I’m beginning to wonder if there was an agreement of sorts with the board that if Gerrard delivered the title within three years he would be allowed to speak with other clubs.

I seem to remember there being talk of a three year plan after he arrived in 2018 so perhaps that’s been his focus since winning the title last May.

It might explain quite a lot actually.

This guy Ross Wilson is sharp as a tack and is a real asset to The Club, hopefully he will be at Ibrox for a long time to come. Showed real leadership by making a personal call to all players and staff to keep them in the loop when the last manager jumped ship.

It’s an absolutely excellent interview. My one issue is, who’s in charge on Sunday? I don’t like the thought of there not being one person who has the final say on things.
It was in order McCallum , Gilmour and Defoe imo . David was in staff on OF day when SG missed game due to Covid .

The way I see it is it’s further opportunity for these guys to develop there experience and skills .

I’m very interested by the line, “once he (Gerrard) intimated that he was going to go and do something else, we have been tracking for a period of time a number of future Rangers managers”.

This suggests to me that Gerrard’s decision to ‘go and do something else’ was made a good while ago.

All of which might help to explain why we’ve been comparatively lacklustre this season.
That’s what I took out of that part of the interview too mate, good to see the excitement on Wilson’s face though ..Onwards and Upwards WATP

That’s story was told by Wilson himself

He thinks like most of us don’t, or even cannot think.
Gerrard was nothing more than an asset to promote a vision for the business and an employee.
He interviews all the candidates and thanks them for their discretion. WHO? No need to know.
Gio is nothing more than an asset for Rangers and an employee to him.

Absolutely professional, and something we have been lacking in the past.

I’m beginning to wonder if there was an agreement of sorts with the board that if Gerrard delivered the title within three years he would be allowed to speak with other clubs.

I seem to remember there being talk of a three year plan after he arrived in 2018 so perhaps that’s been his focus since winning the title last May.

Stop already.

First you're reading things into what Wilson said that really aren't there. Nothing you have said makes sense unless you have completely ignored the rest of the interview and all his previous ones, and don't understand the ethos now employed at the club.

Now, you're making up some fantasy agreements that might have existed between him and Gerrard..

How about this: Villa wanted Gerrard. Gerrard decided to go. Wilson done his job and enacted the succession plan that exists for all members of staff and seemlessly executed the transition.

Occams razor. Not everything has to be complicated and over thought out. Most often the simplest explanations are the most likely. You seem to be trapped in a conformation bias loop trying to find, I don't know, contoversy or nefarious goings on?

Why? In the end, what does it matter? Gerrards gone. Gio's in. Why the need to muddy clear waters?

Last edited:

I would say yes… but.

He was very much talking about the future with Rangers over March, April & May.

I think the board weren’t as free with transfer funds as he expected and it caused some issues over the summer. Add that to not being with his family as much as he’d like, I imagine his missus in his ear about it all summer and then crashing out to Malmo and everyone knew what was coming soon.
They might not have spoken about it but I’m sure they all knew it was coming.

It had probably run its course, we now have the next stage to look at and hopefully Gio putting the pieces in place to allow Rangers to be champions over a sustained period, and build on the progress in Europe under Gerrard.

Must say Ross comes across very well.

Slick and professional as we would expect at Rangers.

Have to admire that.

Interesting that he mentions Dr Mark Waller is still with us. That may change as he was recruited by Gerrard and has been at Anfield and, indeed, at Villa Park.

I’ve listened to the interview a few times now and can’t help but be impressed with Ross Wilson.

He clearly has his finger on the pulse and is a big asset to our club.

I’m very interested by the line, “once he (Gerrard) intimated that he was going to go and do something else, we have been tracking for a period of time a number of future Rangers managers”.

This suggests to me that Gerrard’s decision to ‘go and do something else’ was made a good while ago.

All of which might help to explain why we’ve been comparatively lacklustre this season.

Yes this caught my attention also. Wasn’t sure if I was reading too much into it or not but it would explain a few things.
Something in and around the dressing room needed freshened up….. maybe this is what we needed.

Another observation. Wilson tried a bit too hard to let us know that more than one person was on the shortlist…

Very impressive and honest interview.

A lot of care, attention, detail, hardwork, decency and forward planning fine in.

Not that it matters. Would love to know who the other candidates were?

what a difference listening to that and how our club is run these days, very impressed by that and even the way he explained who would be dealing with the team for Sunday

I shudder to think back when they wheeled out the rabbit caught in headlights K McDowall for one of the car crash interviews, not his fault more the people in place at the time....

how far we have come ;-)

Ross Wilson speaks so well. Can tell he was not caught on the hop or unprepared that gerrard would leave
Also fair play on calling everyone to let them know what was happening

Something our former manager could have learned from...

Back