What differences do you expect to see?

AriseSirWalter

Official Ticketer
Lot of talk about how Gio is a good fit because, amongst other things, he plays a similar style/formation to what we do just now.

That’s important given we don’t have a preseason to implement changes but over time there will undoubtedly be changes. Not including personnel what changes do you expect to see by the end of the season?

- two more orthodox wingers instead of two 10s we’ve had. Would this free up Kent,
- Morelos told just to stay in the box?
- Aribo/Hagi asked to run at opposition/get into the box more?
- more attacking through the middle rather than down the wings?

Anyone who watched his Feyenoord team able to comment?

Lot of talk about how Gio is a good fit because, amongst other things, he plays a similar style/formation to what we do just now.

That’s important given we don’t have a preseason to implement changes but over time there will undoubtedly be changes. Not including personnel what changes do you expect to see by the end of the season?

- two more orthodox wingers instead of two 10s we’ve had. Would this free up Kent,

Probably the first and third bullet points.

Points 1, 2 & 3.

I think and only based on what I've read a midfield 3 offering options in and around the box.

Don't think he plays with a holding midfielder

We don’t have an out and out right winger to play with orthodox wingers. All our attacking players do their best work narrow.

Not sure what I expect them to change tbh.
Personally I would like us to try shooting more from outside the box instead of walking it in or just putting cross after cross in.

Need to increase stamina and pace in transition. Increase level of passing skills and high press. Let Morelos play on shoulder of their centre halves to turn them and shoot on sight. Also need to defend as a team which has been lacking. Will be interesting to see on Sunday the players reaction. Hope we tear them apart and get through to the final. Exciting days ahead. Onward to 56 and build a Champions League team.

I think we can do lots of things a lot quicker. Our style of play this season just seemed laboured.

Short, sharp passing with intent.

I’m hoping that changes to tactics and substitutes are not left to the 60 minute mark and beyond, and are done when planning has not gone well and addressed immediately.

Eventually a different 433, and Alfredo perhaps played slightly different to what we have seen of late.

Im not sure why there is a clamour for wingers, considering our width comes generally from our FBs and they do not too badly in this.

Then you dont want to use the wings and move through the middle? Though I do agree at times we should do that, Roofe and Morelos often show for passes while on the edge of the box and we dont play them.

I dont think we need to change too much tbh, up our intensity and we wont be far off playing well. I hope they can get Alfredo back to normal, though I think that is more down to him than the way he has been asked to play.

I would like to see him play 2 up top with Kent/Hagi given a free role, to be a pest where ever he wants, similar to Laudrup.

From what I've been reading about Gerrard it seems that the players noticed and picked up on the vibes coming from him these past months and that may have impacted on some of them. I'm hoping that Gio's arrival will make them a bit sharper from the first whistle in our games. Last season they were going for the throat from the start. They have not been doing that this season.

Hopefully not looking like conceding everyone the opposition cross the half way line

I’m hoping we play with 2 wide players with pace up top. I still believe Kent is truly at his best isolated on the wing with a full back to ghost by.

I’m also hoping Morelos can find some old form.

I’m excited to see what changes Gio makes and how the next 2 transfer windows take shape with outs and ins

Not in favour or against wingers just what I’ve read that GvB favours.

I think the FBs have struggled to get far enough up the pitch this season for whatever reason so most of our crossing is coming from deeper and less dangerous.

Wingers leave us exposed as teams are right at our midfield instead of the 10s protecting them but wingers would create more space for attacking midfielders.

Im not sure why there is a clamour for wingers, considering our width comes generally from our FBs and they do not too badly in this.

Then you dont want to use the wings and move through the middle? Though I do agree at times we should do that, Roofe and Morelos often show for passes while on the edge of the box and we dont play them.

I dont think we need to change too much tbh, up our intensity and we wont be far off playing well. I hope they can get Alfredo back to normal, though I think that is more down to him than the way he has been asked to play.

I would like to see him play 2 up top with Kent/Hagi given a free role, to be a pest where ever he wants, similar to Laudrup.

Hopefully play our best attacking players to thier strengths I.e Morelos staying forward as a poacher and Hagi as playmaker. Would like to see a few youth players breaking into the first team like Patterson.

For me one of Gerrard's blemishes at Rangers was his apparent distrust of youth players. Hopefully Gio will address this over the next couple of years.

I don’t think he will change much in terms of the style in which we play, but I think he might take more chances with creative players such as starting Hagi and Kent together and using Morelos as he was used previously which was bullying defenders en route to goal. Our spine is strong, we have a great squad and they all know each other very well. There might be some upheaval early on with players getting used to a new regime but these guys are professional and should adapt fairly easily and who knows, the new staff might be better to work for?

It’s all exciting and new, and it’s a bright new era for us.

Gios got it in hand. I say we will be watching some great football, I really really do.

Apparently he played with 2 wide men rather than 2 10’s so I’m wondering if he might try Hagi further back in a central midfield role.

I’m just hoping he gets them fired up and pressing more. They’ve looked half arsed this season.

More variation is what I would like to see. We became predictable.

I don't think he will change much quickly, but I think he will take one look at Hagi and then have him as a No.10.

I hope our full backs and midfield have been on the protein shakes, because when GVB was with us as a player he was running as fast and hard in the 90th minute as he was in the 1st. He left nothing in the tank.

Alfie might not know what hit him when it comes to fitness levels.

Apparently he played with 2 wide men rather than 2 10’s so I’m wondering if he might try Hagi further back in a central midfield role.

I’m just hoping he gets them fired up and pressing more. They’ve looked half arsed this season.
He played Toonstra as a 10 with two sitters in midfield sometimes. Hagi might play as a natural 10

I am expecting we will see a little bit more freedom for one of the midfield three to get closer to the striker, attack and try and get goals.

As a couple of guys have said, possibly wingers starting as wide as possible to stretch the opposition back line and make space.

Not in favour or against wingers just what I’ve read that GvB favours.

I think the FBs have struggled to get far enough up the pitch this season for whatever reason so most of our crossing is coming from deeper and less dangerous.

Wingers leave us exposed as teams are right at our midfield instead of the 10s protecting them but wingers would create more space for attacking midfielders.

I didnt mean you specifically about the wingers, there are a lot of posters asking for them on other threads and I feel it strange due to our width.

Centre mids contribute positively and get their numbers up on assists and goals , not sure the majority of the current ones have that in them though, time will tell

Passes from the goalkeeper to either full back leaving the box and not putting the defence under pressure. Aberdeen’s 1st goal a fortnight ago was a classic example.

I agree re the sheep, however, that is the only goal I can remember us losing from a short bye kick. 1 out of 100s isnt too bad. I think we have scored starting from short kicks.

I m not sure they will go as most passing teams use them now.

Don’t really know what to expect. It will be the end of the 2 no10’s though.

Think guys like Hagi and Aribo could be deployed as a traditional no10 with 2 wingers. Rather than them being asked to use there pace sometimes out wide. Roofe coming in as a second striker in games I think is a possibility also.

I think our line ups will be a bit more attacking than usual.

Out and out Wingers is not the answer. we have to stop playing against dross with two holding midfielders. Only in Europe and against the vermin should this even be considered, two up front with ball played into the channels is the way to beat packed defenses IMO.

Kent should be asked to play anywhere he feels will hurt the opposition. ( Not in our half where he loses possession and causes all sorts of problems.) As others have mentioned Alfie should be told not to drop so deep ( see comments on Kent ) This dropping off only works if we have attacking midfielders running into the space and the ball is played forward quickly which has hardly happened so far this season.

Problem is we currently have 4 holding midfielders, five if you include Kelly, when we only need one in most of the games we play.

I think for Morelos to get back to his best then he needs to be fitter.
I suppose not having him drop deep may help in getting goals and confidence, but if he's sharper then that's even better.
One holding midfielder may be a feature too so we'll be more attacking through the middle maybe but then if full backs are still going forward then there's less cover so who knows?

Back