What differences do you expect to see?

Formation wise I do not expect many differences. But I sincerely hope GvB will immediately put Hagi in his normal position instead of wasting him on the outside.

And have some players shoot from distance :)

Id love to see Hagi as the no10 just one of them no others! Though I do hope there are no major changes over the next couple of weeks. Then when the winter break comes along he has time to work on newer stuff.

Not really sure but I hope we look fresher and less pedestrian than we have this season
A wake up call and kick up the arse for a few wouldn't go a miss. Hopefully the change in manager alone will reinvigorate a few of the guys and put that spark back in their play which looks to missing.
From what I've been reading about Gerrard it seems that the players noticed and picked up on the vibes coming from him these past months and that may have impacted on some of them. I'm hoping that Gio's arrival will make them a bit sharper from the first whistle in our games. Last season they were going for the throat from the start. They have not been doing that this season.
I hope the change in management removes the malaise that we've seen all season . Same players, similar style, better attitude and motivation. Reinvigorated.

Lot of talk about how Gio is a good fit because, amongst other things, he plays a similar style/formation to what we do just now.

That’s important given we don’t have a preseason to implement changes but over time there will undoubtedly be changes. Not including personnel what changes do you expect to see by the end of the season?

- two more orthodox wingers instead of two 10s we’ve had. Would this free up Kent,
- Morelos told just to stay in the box?
- Aribo/Hagi asked to run at opposition/get into the box more?
- more attacking through the middle rather than down the wings?

Anyone who watched his Feyenoord team able to comment?
I think we will see a change in attitude of from a big majority of the squad. Hopefully a few rockets up some @rses as well! He will turn the mentality in quick time and the passengers will be hopefully punted out the door.

There’s a lot to be positive and look forward to Gio being in charge. Just the freshness he’ll bring to the squad will be good for them.

I’m not sure why, maybe it was they few years watching Bert Konterman, but Dutch managers always give me the fear defensively. It’s the main aspect we need to strengthen in this season and I hope Gio can tighten it up back there.

I’m hoping that changes to tactics and substitutes are not left to the 60 minute mark and beyond, and are done when planning has not gone well and addressed immediately.
I hope he's like Advocaat that way,where he'd tinker with the system if it wasn't working during games.

Whilst Beale is very tactically astute it’s felt sometimes like our tactics this season have restricted some of the obvious talent in the team. Obviously not dismissing the tactical side of things but it’s felt a little too restrictive and perhaps over analysed. Making us very predictable in certain games

Would love to see some of the players allowed to take the shackles off and play their natural game.

Not sure what to ‘expect’, but this is what i would like: Do everything quicker, be more spontaneous and harder to predict. Play with more freedom and encourage players to express themselves. Shoot more. The patterns of play we had fallen into were beginning to hinder us, and too often we’d continue to play the simple pass and own the ball when a more direct approach is what’s required.

A return to the high press with energy and getting the ball back quickly. Something that we’ve tailed off at this term.

Playing Hagi more centrally, coupled with more direct play forcing defensive teams to pull into the centre. I hope he also encourages our left back to pull the trigger more often. When a defense is set up to stop you crossing from the left, it doesn't hurt for that left sided player to be able to drill one into the bottom corner on his own.

More ruthless in front of goal and to be quicker at getting accurate shots on target. Just keep winning games is the ultimate and desired outcome.

Hopefully we deviate from giving teams a goal headstart!

On a serious note however, I didn't see much of his Feyenoord team at all so not sure what to expect.

He looks to ha e played with midfielders who get goals.

One season 15 from midfield
Another season 19

Mostly from Toonstra and Vilhena. (Sp?)

We hugely lack that in our squad currently, though Jack has shown composure in the past when allowed to get forward.

If he can find goals from midfield without having to spend money I would be over the moon.

Sorry if already posted. But good analysis I thought of how Gio set up against Ajax

On his transfermarkt manager profile his preferred formation is listed as 4-2-3-1

He may mix and match differently than Gerrard.

I agree re the sheep, however, that is the only goal I can remember us losing from a short bye kick. 1 out of 100s isnt too bad. I think we have scored starting from short kicks.

I m not sure they will go as most passing teams use them now.
One is one too many plus there has been a few times where we’ve just got away with it, even in that Aberdeen game. In Tavernier, Patterson and Bassey we have full backs who love to run with the ball. Let them. In Kent and Aribo (who imho has been our best player this season) we have players who love to take players on. Let them. We have to move forward quicker and put teams on the back foot quicker. At times under the devious one we were slow, laborious and predictable with 10/12 passes only for the ball to end up back at Goldson. It’s all about opinions mate, this is simply mine.

I was listening to a pod this afternoon (RangersRabble I think) and they had a Feyenoord Adam Thornton-type guest on who was saying that Gio's teams weren't really renowned for pressing, they were more inclined to sit off the opposition, compared to how we (are supposed to) have been playing under Gerrard.

Hopefully play our best attacking players to thier strengths I.e Morelos staying forward as a poacher and Hagi as playmaker. Would like to see a few youth players breaking into the first team like Patterson.

For me one of Gerrard's blemishes at Rangers was his apparent distrust of youth players. Hopefully Gio will address this over the next couple of years.
I'd also like to see us use a couple more youth players.

For example, I honestly don't think Stephen Kelly could be any worse than Lundstram as a 6. He obviously doesnt have the physicality but he does have a far superior range of passing, can move it quickly and carry it forward.

Back