Goldson

I have been no goldson fan this season but everything he said on this interview is spot on. There has been a cultural cancer in the changing room for 6-8 months and that could well be one of the reasons he hasn’t extended. A bit more honesty and maybe the players and Gio can confront this and turn it around. I also feel he was including himself in the collective “we” so I don’t think he was being arrogant. Gio has his work cut out so I hope he unloads on them on Tuesday.

Just who is he pointing finger at re no following instructions at the 1st 2 goals ...if 1 is tav then there lies the problem he has being having ding dongs in most games recently. goldson wants to be the captain that's for sure

He’s a dressing room leader who lead a team meeting last year at St Mirren which seemingly had a massive impact on the team, driven by him

It’s possible for him to both be a dick about others and also be aware of his own standards being off.

Teams do need players who speak on their behalf as a group.
That news puts a whole new light on the interview in that case. I can imagine now, that everything he was saying could have been related to another one of these dressing room talks and could be born out of a deep disappointment for not continuing the momentum that had begun recently

I'm His biggest critic as I feel how he's ran his contract down is disgraceful but

That interview is nothing but honesty, he's putting it out there publicly for Gio and the support to hear.

Now up to the players to respond
If that is the case, then he can't be surprised at being dropped in the reserves till the end of the season.
3-1 down, and it's over?
Disgraceful comment to make.
If he really felt like that he should of told the care taker boss, and offered to come off.
His shot at the end, summed up his whole career at Rangers, and even had Mrs Van B gasping!

And yes I still believe last season was an anomaly for him.
His first season, and following season were the real Connor Goldson.
Bottle merchant of the highest order.
The seasons incidentally, where we won... fkuc all.
Yet he played almost every single minute.
Of both seasons.

Hopefully played his last game, but I doubt we could be that fortunate.

Last edited:
did anyone think we would get back into the game in the second half or just hoped
He was wrong to say that given his position

But being honest I thought we blew it when they scored a second. I had more confidence in them scoring a third than us scoring 1. Got my first ban in the match thread for a post I made , mainly through emotions :p didn't even know you could get banned from specific threads hahaha. Sorry admins

But I'm just a fan, goldson should have more fight about him and viewed it as "if they can score 3 in the first half let's go out and score 4 in the second half" and had some belief

Nothing he's said is wrong from a fan perspective but as a player and perhaps more importantly someone who's viewed as a leader of the dressing room you gotta have. More wits about you

Watching that horror show today had me thinking that back in the day there would have been full on fights in the dressing room with players having to be dragged apart because they were so angry with what was going on. Somehow with this current bunch I don't think that would be the case.
That would’ve been at half time and we’d have come out and dominated the second half.

Hopefully this sees the end of him. He's to blame for countless goals this season with lazy and incompetent defending. This just might be his own way of ensuring a transfer. He obviously doesn't want to be here and I for one don't want him here. Getting rid of him won't be a big loss. Could say that for a few at the moment. Watching that performance especially the whole defence must have been an eye opener FOR GVB today.

Rangers players did not "follow instructions" and have "lost a bit of hunger", says Connor Goldson, after his side's Scottish League Cup semi-final defeat by Hibernian.

The champions found themselves 3-0 down after 38 minutes at Hampden through a Martin Boyle hat-trick.
Scott Arfield pulled one back, but Rangers offered little else and failed to set up a final with Celtic.

"Not one individual can hold their head high," Goldson told Premier Sports.

Rangers B team coach David McCallum took charge in the Ibrox side's first game since the departure of Steven Gerrard to Aston Villa, with incoming manager Giovanni van Bronckhorst electing to watch the game from the stand.

And Goldson refused to lay the blame at the door of the interim manager, instead taking his team-mates to task.

"The first two goals are from a corner," he said. "People are in the wrong position, which we have worked on yesterday. The second is from a throw-in and people are in the wrong position.

"If players don't want to follow instructions, then we can't blame coaches because they give us the information to do our job and players don't want to take that on board.

"We can be in there at half-time and say believe in ourselves blah, blah, blah but the game is over at 3-1 down at half-time."

Last season Rangers won the Scottish Premiership without losing a game, but Goldson believes the level of commitment in the side has dropped, despite leading the current table by four points.

"We know that the new manager was there today and you'd hope they [the players] would want to impress but after that performance, we need a change," the English centre-back added.

"We need a spark. I feel like - and I don't want to say this - we have lost a bit of hunger.

"All of a sudden we are champions and we don't need to work as hard, which is wrong and I feel like that has crept in this season. Hopefully, the new manager can come in and give us a spark."
In fairness, they've played like that since we won the league and not just the start of the season and we've lacked the intensity since.

I’ll be honest, there was not one part of me that thought we would come back from 3-1. We were miles off it.

I believe what CG is trying to say is that there was no belief in the dressing room that we could come back.

Fans in the stands aren't in a position to impact the game. The players are. And if he is admitting that he knew the game was done at halftime then that's beyond alarming.

Even if we lose Thursday he needs time we look like the team that's under murty.

The defence needs a rebuild Simpson gets stick but the kid needs a chance the quicker Helander is back the better. I love tav I slagged the thread that said strip him of the captaincy but after today Patterson has to start same with Bassey as Borna looks like his legs have gone.

Even then we're just scratching the surface right now it looks a big job that night take time to get right

No, Simpson really doesn't need a chance. He needs shipped out. Woeful player.

Having read the highlights of his interview on Twitter I was all for a no at the door of Ibrox with flaming pitch forks. Having now watched his interview I’m kind of one his side. We need to get our finger out. However, I’d still back GIo if he gave him 24hrs to sign a new contract before he was binned. Thursday is now almost a distraction now. It’s all about Livi on Sunday.

He thinks he's going to a prem team In Jan or the summer??? He better think again. No one will touch him, coming up against Harry kane, Salah etc......he can't even handle Kevin Nisbet and Martin fucking Boyle.

Thinks he's better than he is. Get him so far away from us

Last edited:
if Goldson thinks Gerrard is coming in for him in January to be a regular in the villa team he is mistaken he’s league 1 level on current performances billy big balls wins one title and thinks he’s made it thank god guys like gough didn’t Chuck it after one trophy

What a shocking statement to make . He’s chucked it absolute disgrace . U could take 11 people from west stand today and put them on that park and they would show more desire and fight . No wonder we are getting beat when our vice captain has the game finished at half time . Shambles

I admire that he was so honest. The team has clearly been cruising this season and a lot of it is down to winning 55. That's been such a big target for so long that it's almost inevitable that anything after would be an anti-climax. Unfortunately for the team, it's Scotland they're playing in and winning once is not enough for Rangers.

Everything he said in that interview was 100% on the money. Can someone explain to me why I should hate him?
Saying the game was over at half time with only 2 goals in it. He must have forgotten about the braga game, a better team than hibs, it wasn't over that night. Maybe he just wanted it to be over, think that's it. He couldn't be arsed playing hibs again, couldn't be arsed getting beat at hampden again, so would rather just check out and think it's over. The guy has no self awareness, some points he made where correct, but he is the main culprit for his points, he has been all season, not taking instructions from the management team, that's him all over. Gerrard has filled the heads of this team with so much arrogance, they think Scottish football is below them. Won't be until there career is finished they will realise they have blown a big opportunity here. One medal in house, a big one to us fans don't get me wrong, but he isn't a fan. Nobody he tells about how significant that medals is will really care, they will just say, one medal, that's all you got?? Time for him to go

Yeah mate unfortunately the game was over at ht. I hoped we could but pull it back but realistically the game was done.
It was far from done. If we’d gotten an early goal second half it would have been game on.

If anything, Goldson knew it was done because he also knows that there just isn’t the collective fight in the team, himself included, to pull it back.

Making a pitch for the armband? Or is he just running off at the mouth with stuff that should stay inside the dressing room? Either way, the substance of what he says isn’t all that far removed from the truth.

He’s the best defender we have who’s fit but isn’t playing anywhere near as good as he can. He can’t carry a piss poor backline indefinitely on his own either as he’s not good enough to do that.

I’d strongly imagine that a few of his teammates won’t be pleased with that especially in light of his own contract situation.

Gio will probably need to try to source a couple of centre halves in January judging by the performance and the outburst.

Except that thing he said about being 2 down at HT and being unable to recover.
Did anyone really think that we were capable of scoring three goals in the second half? I didn’t and I’m an eternal optimist.

Goldson shouldn’t have said it (game over at ht), but it was understandable to think it because the team are so low on confidence and not creating chances. Joe Aribo can’t do it all himself.

Throw in some schoolboy defending, slow and laboured midfield play and this current Rangers side is being found out.

It was far from done. If we’d gotten an early goal second half it would have been game on.

If anything, Goldson knew it was done because he also knows that there just isn’t the collective fight in the team, himself included, to pull it back.
You're missing my point mate, for this side right now, the tie was done at half time, you've pretty much said the same thing in the second part of your post.

Everything he said in that interview was 100% on the money. Can someone explain to me why I should hate him?

Because he's shit and constantly blames everyone else, even when he's usually one of the worst performers.

And that's before you even come to the fact he's clearly running down his contract to leave on a free transfer – and has only had one good season since he joined us.

If the players have lost their hunger, drop them. If the players think they are better than they are, drop them. If the players can't be bothered putting in effort, dropped. No more pandering to players who think winning one league title entitles them to be lazy.

Everybody seems to be clinging on to the comment about it being over at half-time at 3-0 (it was actually 3-1 but anyway). Which yeh in hindsight was maybe a mistake but other than that, as others have said, he is bang on the money. Doesn’t hold back. Says that nobody on that pitch can come away with head held high (including himself). I actually preferred hearing that than the usual drivel Gerrard would feed us after a poor performance. The old “individually” and “collectively” garbage. He’s clearly gutted and fuming and it comes across. If he’d signed a new deal maybe people wouldn’t look for things to be angry about with that interview.

Anyway, new start today. I will feel more positive about Thursday night if Gio makes changes to the team. A huge statement from Gio if he drops the captain for his first game in charge but Patterson 100% deserves the opportunity

The making the job harder for Gio thing is a bit off for me, would expect Gio is OK with hearing an interview like that TBH.

The whole thing, as Goldson said, needs a spark, he hasn’t said a thing people haven’t thought about this season.

It’s a great place to start from re correcting things and working how to put it right.

Doubt he'll have an issue with it, the Dutch are generally brutally honest and straight to the point. Even more so in football manners where it's accepted to be opinionated.

It's really a British thing where we greet if players don't talk in platitudes that show their bulldog spirit.

Did anyone really think that we were capable of scoring three goals in the second half? I didn’t and I’m an eternal optimist.

Goldson shouldn’t have said it (game over at ht), but it was understandable to think it because the team are so low on confidence and not creating chances. Joe Aribo can’t do it all himself.

Throw in some schoolboy defending, slow and laboured midfield play and this current Rangers side is being found out.
2 goals to take it to ET and pens though. That's pretty reasonable to think a Rangers team could come back from that. It's Hibs we're talking about, not Barcelona in the Nou Camp.

Because he's shit and constantly blames everyone else, even when he's usually one of the worst performers.

And that's before you even come to the fact he's clearly running down his contract to leave on a free transfer – and has only had one good season since he joined us.
Never liked him after he was crying at the end of the league cup final defeat against Celtic. Bottler that day and many times since. Talk is cheap.

2 goals to take it to ET and pens though. That's pretty reasonable to think a Rangers team could come back from that. It's Hibs we're talking about, not Barcelona in the Nou Camp.
Aye, at best mate. They’ve struggled against anyone slightly better than ordinary this season. More hope than expectation to score two or three goals in the second half.

We don’t create chances and all too often try to walk the ball into the net. We also don’t carry much threat at set plays.

The new manager has a job on if you ask me.

Goldson is hurting and that interview is spot on
Is Golsdson hurting as much as the fans though? Are any of them hurting like the fans? On Thursday they better put in a performance full of energy, effort and passion. If not, they can leave. They have been a disgrace all season so far, and it's time to step up or step aside for players who will make the effort.

Goldson questioning desire when he has 7 months left on his deal & can speak to other clubs in about 5 weeks time, is laughable in the extreme.

The game wasn’t done at 0-3 as we scored shortly after. 45 minutes left at 1-3 is not insurmountable and certainly not against Hibs.

The sooner he disappears to a Brighton, Southampton, Villa, Burnley, Palace type team the better. There’s no pressure to win trophies there Connor, you’ll fit right in with that losers mentality.

He told us nothing that we didn’t already know. Admitting the game was done at half time was ridiculous, but I suspect everyone in that dressing room felt exactly the same way.

Making a pitch for the armband? Or is he just running off at the mouth with stuff that should stay inside the dressing room? Either way, the substance of what he says isn’t all that far removed from the truth.

He’s the best defender we have who’s fit but isn’t playing anywhere near as good as he can. He can’t carry a piss poor backline indefinitely on his own either as he’s not good enough to do that.

I’d strongly imagine that a few of his teammates won’t be pleased with that especially in light of his own contract situation.

Gio will probably need to try to source a couple of centre halves in January judging by the performance and the outburst.

Are you serious? He's the only f*cking player who has refused to sign a new contract so far in the squad. He's working his ticket.

It doesn't matter what he thinks or we think. Rangers players do not come out with that shite in a post match interview.

Are you serious? He's the only f*cking player who has refused to sign a new contract so far in the squad. He's working his ticket.
Not that I necessarily think it, but maybe he wants the armband in order to sign a contract?

Where’s he going to go after Ibrox?

Just who is he pointing finger at re no following instructions at the 1st 2 goals ...if 1 is tav then there lies the problem he has being having ding dongs in most games recently. goldson wants to be the captain that's for sure
This year we are gifting goals whereas last year teams struggled to score against us. Who was responsible for organising the back 4 on the pitch? Why is he incapable of doing so this year? If it is down to Goldson and Tav having a spat Gio needs to bang their heads together. If that doesn't work then, given the lack of options at centre half, it might be time to remove any on the pitch disharmony by giving Patterson game time.

I have only just seen this and I am stunned that he has turned around and said ‘3-0 or 3-1 down the games over’ loser mentality get him to f**k that is disgusting comments from our ‘Vice Captain’. The game wasn’t over we had another 45 mins to score 1 and then 2 and then it’s a completely different game again to chuck it before you even come out for the second is shocking!
I got a ban a while back for saying exactly what I felt about Goldson so I’m not risking it again but he needs to go in January one way or another!

Back