Goldson

I waited until I’d slept on it before rushing on here to vent but I’ve woken up this morning even more angry at Goldson. I can’t comprehend it. Gerrard won the league with us but the mentality of what it means to be a Rangers team hasn’t been here since Walter.

I’m English and have lived down here my whole life, my pals all support Prem teams and I see daily the mentality they have. There seems to be an arrogance barrier that stops a lot of English players “getting it” seeing Goldson talk at the end of the game as if the defeat was one of many that’s allowed to happen when you play for a team like Villa illustrates what I mean. He doesn’t realise what it means. He doesn’t realise this is the biggest club he’ll play.

I’ve always stuck up for Tav as well but the day he was appointed captain I knew in my head the English arrogance barrier would be in place until he leaves - and it would be very difficult to come out on top in games where our ability can’t easily come through. Him and Goldson need out the team with Patterson back in and Ryan Jack as captain. Thats how you get your identity back and that’s the only way we’ll stop losing in Semi’s & Finals. Using players that will play for the shirt.

Everything he said in that interview was 100% on the money. Can someone explain to me why I should hate him?
I believe the following reasons are seen as valid:

1. He said what plenty on here have said, but hearing a player say it somehow upsets them
2. He's not Katic
3. He's made some errors that have cost goals in the past
4. He hasn't signed a new contract
5. He's one of Gerrard's favourites
6. He thinks he's better than he is
7. Something about Beckenbauer
8. Doesn't he doesn't care like a fan does.
9. Who knows, it's FF - you're either a world beater or a carpet beater, often in the space of the same match.
10. But he's not Katic and wouldn't heider his granny

Not that I necessarily think it, but maybe he wants the armband in order to sign a contract?

Where’s he going to go after Ibrox?
You can’t be serious with even suggesting this …

I don’t think Connor Goldson is stupid enough to think he should have the armband. He’s done nothing, said nothing to warrant the captains armband of our club.

The guys performances this year have stunk to high heavens. His whole contract situation is an unwanted distraction & the sooner it’s resolved - preferably with him leaving - the better.

Saying the game was over at half time with only 2 goals in it. He must have forgotten about the braga game, a better team than hibs, it wasn't over that night. Maybe he just wanted it to be over, think that's it. He couldn't be arsed playing hibs again, couldn't be arsed getting beat at hampden again, so would rather just check out and think it's over. The guy has no self awareness, some points he made where correct, but he is the main culprit for his points, he has been all season, not taking instructions from the management team, that's him all over. Gerrard has filled the heads of this team with so much arrogance, they think Scottish football is below them. Won't be until there career is finished they will realise they have blown a big opportunity here. One medal in house, a big one to us fans don't get me wrong, but he isn't a fan. Nobody he tells about how significant that medals is will really care, they will just say, one medal, that's all you got?? Time for him to go
Sounds like you're in the dressing room. Got any other insider information, or substance for a lot of the conjecture here?

2 goals to take it to ET and pens though. That's pretty reasonable to think a Rangers team could come back from that. It's Hibs we're talking about, not Barcelona in the Nou Camp.
A Rangers team of old probably would, not the current one performing this season though.

Watched it again and again and i think the guy is just being honest and i think he includes himself in everything he has said.He has never been one of my favourite players but he wasnt the worst yesterday i have stuck up for Alfredo in the past but yesterday he was a disgrace and Barasic doesnt have the heart or courage to play for Rangers where every game is a must win.

Last edited:
You can’t be serious with even suggesting this …

I don’t think Connor Goldson is stupid enough to think he should have the armband. He’s done nothing, said nothing to warrant the captains armband of our club.

The guys performances this year have stunk to high heavens. His whole contract situation is an unwanted distraction & the sooner it’s resolved - preferably with him leaving - the better.
I think he does think he should be the skipper. Why come away with that pysh yesterday in front of the cameras? He has a big tip for himself and then some.

I think he does think he should be the skipper. Why come away with that pysh yesterday in front of the cameras? He has a big tip for himself and then some.
Brighton/Villa/Palace/Norwich is his level.

Sooner he realises that the better.

No pressure to win & nobody bothers if you turn in a spineless performance in a cup semi, you get a pat on the back for getting there at those sorts of clubs.

He was wrong to say that given his position

But being honest I thought we blew it when they scored a second. I had more confidence in them scoring a third than us scoring 1. Got my first ban in the match thread for a post I made , mainly through emotions :p didn't even know you could get banned from specific threads hahaha. Sorry admins

But I'm just a fan, goldson should have more fight about him and viewed it as "if they can score 3 in the first half let's go out and score 4 in the second half" and had some belief

Nothing he's said is wrong from a fan perspective but as a player and perhaps more importantly someone who's viewed as a leader of the dressing room you gotta have. More wits about you
Couldn’t agree more with what you are saying in bold, for him to say ‘the games over at 3-1’ down going into HT is not the winning Rangers mentality and it was entirely possible to turn things around with more tempo, urgency, quicker movement, less touches and zip in our passing but we came out like a damp squib and offered 0 shots on target in the 2nd half I think I’m right in saying, simply not good enough

1. He said what plenty on here have said, but hearing a player say it somehow upsets them
2. He's not Katic
9. Who knows, it's FF - you're either a world beater or a carpet beater, often in the space of the same match.
Of course hearing a player come away with that shite is upsetting....this is Rangers for f.uck sake.

We're fans we can go overboard with opinions and say certain things.

Thus guy, amongst a lot of others, has been absolutely hoaching all season and is the vice captain of Rangers and admitting the game is done at HT is not on and symptomatic of the wider attitude of the squad.

He's toast with the support.

Brighton/Villa/Palace/Norwich is his level.

Sooner he realises that the better.

No pressure to win & nobody bothers if you turn in a spineless performance in a cup semi, you get a pat on the back for getting there at those sorts of clubs.
He won’t. He’s been told that he’s a leader.

Personally, I think that he is a better player than he is given credit for, but I have always regarded him as the junior partner in a centre half partnership. I reckon you could see the best of him were he to be paired alongside an experienced, bona fide top class defender. Not Leon Balogun.

Of course hearing a player come away with that shite is upsetting....this is Rangers for f.uck sake.

We're fans we can go overboard with opinions and say certain things.

Thus guy, amongst a lot of others, has been absolutely hoaching all season and is the vice captain of Rangers and admitting the game is done at HT is not on and symptomatic of the wider attitude of the squad.

He's toast with the support.
Maybe Goldson won't mind that he's toast. His head is already south of the border. His body will hopefully follow soon. I'll just deflate on Thurs night, seeing some of the names in the teamsheet. We're doomed with these players. I have no doubt about it. But Gio isn't a miracle worker. Even in January, a lot of business is troublesome.

I didn’t think we’d come back today.
But for the vice captain to give up at half time is outrageous.
I thought as soon as Arfield got the goal before HT we had a chance a slim one, but a chance none the less but we came out and did the square root of f*ck all and that what angers me more than the shocking first half performance, 2 goals to take it to ET was achievable and we could have even been pushing for the win prior to ET if that were the case as Hibs could crumble but we went out with a whimper and that’s what makes these comments from our ‘vice captain’ a bitter pill to take. As another poster has said ‘if they can score 3 in the first half we can score 4 in the second’ or more that’s the winning mentality of a real Rangers player

Last edited:

2. He's not Katic
11. He believes in his head that at 3-1 down at half time that rangers football club have no chance to come back againt a shite hibs team and get into the game because he and other players have no hunger anymore

No matter what else he spouts in his interview whether you agree or not, that comment is disgraceful from your so called leader and vice captain and should be enough for him to never play for this club ever again

The comment about the game being done at 3-1 at HT is probably one of the worst things I've ever heard from a Rangers player, let alone a professional footballer.
However he was bang on about everything else.

Thursday night couldn't come at a worse time for some of these players and the club in general. If it goes tits up then there will be nowhere to hide for some of them. Expect a few to come down with injuries.

Agree entirely with every aspect of this post.

And I suspect Goldson will end up in the Championship while we (if Gio can work some magic) will be in the CL.

Goldson will probably still think he's playing at a higher level though

Not a chance he should be re-signed if we win the league.
After his comments, he should be told contract offers have been withdrawn and good luck playing in the lower leagues

The irony re speaking about Goldson yesterday and this thread being 10 pages, is that Baloguns name has hardly been mentioned since yesterday

Oh, by the way his contract is up in the summer as well and unlike Goldson, he was actually horrendous yesterday

Watching the full interview back and he’s bang on the money - actually, it’s a good interview.

The soundbite is all well and good but in the context of the interview, he is correct.

There are players letting the team down, he may be one of them but if you are playing alongside Borna, Tav and Balogun (who were far worse than CG) along with AM (who must have the worst shot/goal record in a long time) in goal then it’s no wonder we are all over the shop.

11. He believes in his head that at 3-1 down at half time that rangers football club have no chance to come back againt a shite hibs team and get into the game because he and other players have no hunger anymore

No matter what else he spouts in his interview whether you agree or not, that comment is disgraceful from your so called leader and vice captain and should be enough for him to never play for this club ever again

He was correct though, he must have looked at his own teammates at half time!!

What do you think Morelos was doing at half time, or Tav, or McGregor?

He has done an interview at full time with his heart probably still racing!! He’s is literally telling us players are not taking instructions and it’s costing us goals. Why would you assume at the half-time in a game like that, that you would see any improvement.

It’s a staggering lack of professionalism and it’s directed at Balogun, Tav, Kamara and Borna!

Lastly - he’s f*cken correct

Someone needed to say soemthing. And perhaps it has been said behind closed doors to no effect. Maybe saying it in front of the camera was a desperate attempt to get a reaction from his teamates. But to claim the game was over at half the way he did was going to do nothing to get the supporters onside. And especially coming from a player who has been just as poor as anyone else.

Or maybe a recation frm the support was exactly what he wants to push through a move in January. Something rotten is going on and the previuos management seems to be the tip of the iceberg.

He was correct though, he must have looked at his own teammates at half time!!

What do you think Morelos was doing at half time, or Tav, or McGregor?

He has done an interview at full time with his heart probably still racing!! He’s is literally telling us players are not taking instructions and it’s costing us goals. Why would you assume at the half-time in a game like that, that you would see any improvement.

It’s a staggering lack of professionalism and it’s directed at Balogun, Tav, Kamara and Borna!

Lastly - he’s f*cken correct

Problem is though, he has been just as rubbish as anyone else. Who will listen to a lecture from someone just as cupable as you?

Goldson threads are binned, but Morelos ones aren’t.

One refuses a new deal, the other signs several.

So odd.

Too much of this looks like the post winter breaks from prior seasons. I was nodding along with his comments until he got to the half time part and then if the new manager could change anything. What he said was very worrying and to say this in public is wrong. He could have and should have left things as we were shite. GVB has a bigger task on his hands than I thought.

Someone needs to ask about how those comments he made are justifiable. What does it say about the mentality of the team if the vice captain thinks the game is lost at half time. Did the rest of the players agree or he is so out of step with everyone els
Having read the highlights of his interview on Twitter I was all for a no at the door of Ibrox with flaming pitch forks. Having now watched his interview I’m kind of one his side. We need to get our finger out. However, I’d still back GIo if he gave him 24hrs to sign a new contract before he was binned. Thursday is now almost a distraction now. It’s all about Livi on Sunday.
I think people miss the point if he didn’t care he wouldn’t have spoken and said what he said he didn’t need to.

Shouldnt have said it public fine in the dressing room not on the tv imo

GVB has a massive job rebuilding the confidence of that back 5 as it looks so disconected

It’s a worry if he’s spreading that attitude in the dressing room. It would explain a lot.

For me his approach has been off since he had that spat with the fans over taking the knee. I don’t know if the two are interrelated but he’s looked miserable as sin anytime he’s been interviewed and his form has been off the boil all season long.

All good things come to an end and I think his time with us is up. We should be looking to offload him in the January window. Big Nico can replace him if we’ve no money to buy a replacement. You have to want to win things at Rangers and I expect every player to never say die no matter the circumstances. As the song says…”we will fight till the day is done! “

It's all very well being introspective and reflective but at the end of the day, the players would have been drilled throughout preseason being told that last season is gone and there were further goals to be met. If, by November, they can't see that then they need to go. I think some of the abuse Tav and Goldson have gotten is shocking tbh, but at the same time, the guy sounds like he's done in Scotland and if he'd prefer a a move away then it's win win. I'm sure his transfer fee and salary being free'd up would allow us to go and get a decent replacement.

Back