Joe Harper

I really hated him, probably because he scored goals against us.

Being brought on v Iran in the 1978 World Cup instead of DJ made me despise him even more.

Must be one of the few players to have scored a hat trick in a cup final but still lost.

Did he not put the Rangers Crest in the urinals in his pub in Union street for the customers to piss on it ?

Being brought on v Iran in the 1978 World Cup instead of DJ made me despise him even more.

Must be one of the few players to have scored a hat trick in a cup final but still lost.

Am i right in saying DJ didnt play a minute in Argentina?

Not sure why this Scotland tour of 67' is now being recognised as 'official' Caps.
It was very much a 'B' team/squad at best.
Not one player within the squad was playing for Rangers, Celtic, or any of the top 6 English sides at the time.
Of the 19 players who are belatedly getting Caps for 'some' of those games, only one player would have been considered for the National side at the time, and that was a young Jim McCalliog.

Before my time, so I just asked my old man about him, actually got him into a mild rage. One of the few players he apparently hates as much if not more than the mentally challengeds.
Always tells me how he bumped into Doug rougvie many years ago at Lochore and had to walk away as he hated him as well.

You're right.

One of the biggest mysteries ever.

Was still in nappies at the time but when you look at it: player of the year and also scored a barrel load of goals to win his team the treble.

Read a lot about that world cup campaign and it seems macleod prefered the players that got him to argentina even though a number of them were out of form.

Am i right in saying DJ didnt play a minute in Argentina?
You're right.

One of the biggest mysteries ever.

Ally McLeod cut off his substantial nose to spite his face with that decision. Pretty sure there was some kind of personal issue there or he was just stubbornly contrary as Scottish hacks were calling for DJ to play.

Recall Brian Clough's sarcastic barb on the ITV panel. "Why would the manager want to pick a guy that scored 40 odd goals this season". :)

Last edited:
Reclassifying those games as full internationals 50 odd years after the fact is a total nonsense.

Jim McCalliog was probably the only player on the tour who was a regular of the actual Scotland team at the time. Ian Ure was in and out the full side.

There was a reason it was a 'Scotland XI' in the first place. No Greig, McKinnon, Baxter, Law, Bremner, Gemmell, Lennox etc.

Ally McLeod cut off substantial nose to spite his face with that decision. Pretty sure there was some kind of personal issue there or he was just contrary as Scottish hacks were calling for DJ to play.

Recall Brian Clough's sarcastic barb on the ITV panel. "Why would the manager want to pick a guy that scored 40 odd goals this season". :)
He played against Northern Ireland and Wales in the end of season Home Internationals. Both games were 1-1, DJ scored both Scotland goals.
Got dropped mysteriously for the England game, and didn't come on even though we lost 1-0. Went to Argentina and didn't get a single minute.

Whatever happened before the England game, McLeod was an absolute dick for not sorting it and playing the best centre forward in Britain that season.

Did he not put the Rangers Crest in the urinals in his pub in Union street for the customers to piss on it ?
That was Mike Wilson back in the 90’s who had the Paramount Bar in Bon Accord Street.

He shat himself when the Follow, Follow fanzine got involved.

This is not the first time that "Follow Follow" has hit the headlines over its controversial content.

A few seasons ago the magazine was investigated by Grampian police following veiled threats made against an Aberdeen publican.

Mike Wilson, then owner of the Paramount Bar in Aberdeen, had enraged fans of the Ibrox club by installing video screens in the urinals of his pub which featured Rangers videos, and then inviting Dons fans

to urinate over them.

In response "Follow Follow", in a stinging article, said: "Treating your opponents like this will lead to violence.

"Why don't we visit the Paramount bar next time the Bears are up there and piss on Mr Wilson?"

Mr Wilson took the threat seriously enough to contact his solicitor and Grampian Police who investigated the matter.

Last edited:
iirc Morton sold Harper 3 times.
£ for lb Morton's best ever player.

Last edited:
Harper managed Highland League Deveronvale when I was Secretary of a Junior side in Aberdeen. With the league and 2 cups still on, the grapevine said he wanted 2 of our lads; HL didn't recognise Junior retention. Phoned Harper and said we wouldn't stand in his way if he let the boys play out the season. They didn't kick a ball after that. Cnut.

That was Mike Wilson back in the 90’s who had the Paramount Bar in Bon Accord Street.

He shat himself when the Follow, Follow fanzine got involved.

This is not the first time that "Follow Follow" has hit the headlines over its controversial content.

A few seasons ago the magazine was investigated by Grampian police following veiled threats made against an Aberdeen publican.

Mike Wilson, then owner of the Paramount Bar in Aberdeen, had enraged fans of the Ibrox club by installing video screens in the urinals of his pub which featured Rangers videos, and then inviting Dons fans

to urinate over them.

In response "Follow Follow", in a stinging article, said: "Treating your opponents like this will lead to violence.

"Why don't we visit the Paramount bar next time the Bears are up there and piss on Mr Wilson?"

Mr Wilson took the threat seriously enough to contact his solicitor and Grampian Police who investigated the matter.
Needless to say - the cops never contacted us.

Ally McLeod took that to Argentina instead of Andy Gray who had just won Englands POTY and YPOTY!

Used to give me the fear as a young boy in the 70s A nasty habit of scoring against us

Not sure why this Scotland tour of 67' is now being recognised as 'official' Caps.
It was very much a 'B' team/squad at best.
Not one player within the squad was playing for Rangers, Celtic, or any of the top 6 English sides at the time.
Of the 19 players who are belatedly getting Caps for 'some' of those games, only one player would have been considered for the National side at the time, and that was a young Jim McCalliog.

So that the SFA can crawl up Sir Awex's arse...

Ally McLeod took that to Argentina instead of Andy Gray who had just won Englands POTY and YPOTY!
Unbelievable, and Andy Gray was the first Player to win both these Awards in the same year.
I believe that only Ronaldo has done that since.

So that the SFA can crawl up Sir Awex's arse...

Yes, Harper does come across as bitter but he’s not wrong is he?

Done so the SFA can get SAF as a guest of honour then when pressed on it have to scurry about offering the same courtesy to others.

Pathetic and embarrassing tbh. He’s quite right to call them out on it.

So he basically just wants a party invite.
You've got recognition for extra Caps, be happy with that. If the SFA don't want you hoovering up the buffet, then they don't want you.

He played against Northern Ireland and Wales in the end of season Home Internationals. Both games were 1-1, DJ scored both Scotland goals.
Got dropped mysteriously for the England game, and didn't come on even though we lost 1-0. Went to Argentina and didn't get a single minute.

Whatever happened before the England game, McLeod was an absolute dick for not sorting it and playing the best centre forward in Britain that season.
McLeod really was a tit.

Remember there was a great pic of Harper being booted up in the air by bomber Jackson. Jackson's leg sticking three feet out from Harper's shorts.
Poor description for a terrific pic.

Mate of mine played with him at Aberdeen had two fights with him at training said he’s a wee dick

Mate of mine played with him at Aberdeen had two fights with him at training said he’s a wee dick

I played against him in a charity match in Aberdeen in the mid 80’s. He was a Prima Dona of the highest order. I had a little jostle with him at a corner which I thought was pretty minor and we had a bit of a joke after. Next corner the little bastard raked his heel down my shin and I ended up getting six stitches at ARI
I laughed when he got banned from Pittodrie a few years later for talking shit about them on the radio.

Harper's a barrel,
Harper's a barrel of shite! Shite! Shite!

In the mid '90s, Caley went to Deveronvale in the Highland League on a freezing cold day so most of the Caley fans had paid the 50p to get in the main stand, or the only stand, only to end up sitting right behind Joe Harper.

As usual we we all pissed or or other stimulants, and this song was sung for what must have been the first 20 minutes of the game, every few goes round it would almost die, then someone would roar it out and off we'd go again.

The wee fat fuck was fizzing, he offered a few of us 'outside', only to be ridiculed with, "What you gonna do, sit on us ya fat bastard?"

Good times.

Back