The Rangers AGM

Fair point - when we are kicking in that direction. Watching later elements of that video when RC are attacking in the second half most are seated.
VB, these points we’re making are all irrelevant.

If the UB were in a central position within the BF, safe standing would already be installed.

It’s about shuffling supporters about in order to accommodate a section, and I don’t think the club can be arsed with the hassle and backlash from those who are moved.

It’s not a safe standing issue, it’s an issue about moving supporters.

Things like disabled access improving are

Think this is more important than the safe standing issue tbh. Our disabled punters have been shat on in terms of service for a long time.

It absolutely is, the Club will never be denied a UEFA licence to play at Ibrox because of a lack of safe standing but it will for failing to have adequate disabled facilities.

Both issues can and should be tackled at the same time but that requires the lowering of the pitch option which would likely require 2 consecutive CL group stage qualifications to raise the funds and a season away from Ibrox.

Converting the current seated terracing into safe standing is pointless and would actually reduce capacity not increase, it needs to be a 2 step terrace for safe standing to work properly.

With safe standing are you still allocated a space or is it like the free for all in BF1 or away games where UB take over and crowd out the people who should be in that area.

What I am really asking is would we be returning to terracing first come first served rules. My concern being UB taking over BF 2,3 and 4 and ordinary punters wanting to be part of safe standing being forced to the wings.
Everyone is allocated their own seat within safe standing. For European matches the seats are bolted down to a seat (in order to comply with UEFA regulations).

I’m a bit uncomfortable about how some posters on this thread are addressing the safe standing issue. I get that it is important to some and I would also be supportive of it if done with consideration to existing season ticket holders.

However, I’m not sure the AGM is the best place to raise this issue and bears have to accept that others have different opinions and priorities.

Also those that want to stand already know that if they get a season ticket for certain sections in BF then they could stand - I ‘sit’ in BF4 and stand most of the time.

Didn’t realise your were sitting in front of me Mark :cool: Sure I’ve got the back of your head in one of my pictures haha.

Very positive AGM, Ross Wilson and James Bisgrove stood out especially. Both big assets to the club IMO.

Great to hear £7.5 million has been covered already and that we don’t have to sell players in January.

Wilson deals with the players every day and says there is no lack of effort involved, also sounds like Goldson is away if he doesn’t accept a contract within our “model”.

Would have been more questions but James Blair had to cut the questions from the floor down to one each as they were running out of time.

So much time wasted on that stupid “Everyone anyone” unvaccinated question. The groan around the room summed everyone’s feelings up.

Definitely get the impression they are not interested in safe standing, and after other things raised like the disabled facilities etc there won’t be any discussion on it anytime soon.
Heard it was £4.5M for Gerrard and his team. £2M for knockout stages and a further £1.5M gate money profit once we get there. So aye i guess the £7M needed is already covered.
Now if Gio decides folk are moving on and we reinvest the cash (or some of it) thats a different story. Its a nice position to be in. Means we can stick with our player evaluations.

I’m talking about fan/matchday experiences in comparison to other clubs. Apologies if I wasn’t clear enough. Let’s be honest it’s behind the times.
Scottish football in general is behind the times.

The government and police would probably do away with all football out with Scotland games if they could.

Look at the attitude towards us when we applied for a fanzone.

Id gladly see CF made safe standing, and I have knee issues!

Lock CF2 CF3 CF4 seats up and then move folk either side that dont want to stand. Its not “my seat” really, more a rented seat.

OR expand UB area and give them a more prominent position. Livi atmosphere showed up Ibrox for what it is, a morgue of negativity.

As I posted earlier a lot of people in these sections stand for Euro Games. There would be appetite for it. No better time to do it when demand is so high too.

People being moved is unfortunate but, I think it would be doable without upsetting a huge number and is for the 'greater good' so to speak.

On the matter of safe standing, how do we make it pay? Presumably season tickets would be cheaper for standing sections. Then there's the capital cost of installing rail seating that could be converted to all seating sections for European games.

Not sure how it's even remotely financially viable right now.

I don't see why they'd be cheaper. If there's a desperation to have a standing area, it'd be a prime ticket surely?

I'm all for converting the front of either end stand to utilise it and make the experience better for fans who want it. It's not for me but it's not just about everything making itself pay. Somethings have to be done as an overall improvement to the matchday experience.

VB, these points we’re making are all irrelevant.

If the UB were in a central position within the BF, safe standing would already be installed.

It’s about shuffling supporters about in order to accommodate a section, and I don’t think the club can be arsed with the hassle and backlash from those who are moved.

It’s not a safe standing issue, it’s an issue about moving supporters.
See my other posts mate. The simple answer to me is to move BF1 into the current Away section and re-locate the Away fans rather than any Bears (other than those from BF1). It would only be a first step but it would be the least disruptive.

The vast majority that are out of contract have little to no resale value as I can see.

The likes of McGregor, Davis and Arfield, should they choose not to retire would be amenable to renewing contracts with us before looking elsewhere.

Whilst Goldson is the only situation that doesn’t appear to be resolved to our benefit, he’s not irreplaceable and for what we’ve paid for him has been overall good value.
I agree it's more Aribo, Kent and Morelos having 18 months left that has me concerned. I think we'd benefit from selling a player or two to freshen up the squad, the time left on their contracts though weakens our ability to command a fair fee.

Heard it was £4.5M for Gerrard and his team. £2M for knockout stages and a further £1.5M gate money profit once we get there. So aye i guess the £7M needed is already covered.
Now if Gio decides folk are moving on and we reinvest the cash (or some of it) thats a different story. Its a nice position to be in. Means we can stick with our player evaluations.

It's a loan with 6% interest.. How much I don't think was mentioned...

You do know safe standing costs approx 200k to install and rip out the old seating. . Which works out at 50 quid a head in the broomloan front and that’s assuming the board wouldn’t cover the cost since it’s small in footballing terms. The UB could prob crowd find a significant chunk

The cost is the last reason the board can give to get it done
The problem is the inability of the club/police to be able to identify fans. This is the reason for remaining all seated. The initial cost financially is minimal but longer term when fans don't behave in that section is another matter. We are inviting trouble in this day and age by installing it and I loved the old east enclosure but we'd be crippled by strict liability if it was on the go nowadays. The board will see it as too much of a risk but won't say it out loud.

Somebody asked earlier if the seats locked down (as opposed to up). I've no idea. In truth, its a moot point because in the circumstances I describe the Away fans would stand anyway LOL.

First - and easiest - step to this is moving BF1 to the current Away corner and getting Away fans in BF1 (where they used to be anyway, so its do-able) or elsewhere. No disruption of asking any existing ST holder to relocate, other than those from BF1 of course.
I’m sure most of the ones they use in England & Germany lock down, Hopefully something is done in the next few years.

I’m a bit uncomfortable about how some posters on this thread are addressing the safe standing issue. I get that it is important to some and I would also be supportive of it if done with consideration to existing season ticket holders.

However, I’m not sure the AGM is the best place to raise this issue and bears have to accept that others have different opinions and priorities.

Also those that want to stand already know that if they get a season ticket for certain sections in BF then they could stand - I ‘sit’ in BF4 and stand most of the time.
It was asked because we were told two years ago the results of the review would be published and they never were. There isn’t really any other way of getting a response from the club on the issue. The majority of the fans I know around me in BF4 are for it so it also certainly just a BF1/UB thing like some other posters are suggesting.

In the mean time why the hell can the club not move the union bears to the corner and away fans to BF1?
Not one person would need to give up there seat.
Being shifted around the stadium is not ideal. We want our next move (central BF with Safe Standing ideally) to be our final. The away corner is too limited in terms of future expansion space for the group, and could also limit future tifos etc.

I don't see why they'd be cheaper. If there's a desperation to have a standing area, it'd be a prime ticket surely?

I'm all for converting the front of either end stand to utilise it and make the experience better for fans who want it. It's not for me but it's not just about everything making itself pay. Somethings have to be done as an overall improvement to the matchday experience.

Its odd that safe standing can only be considered if it brings in more money. Other improvements dont need to increase revenue.

I really despair at the attitude towards safe standing. If the tims were in charge of Ibrox they'd do all they could to kill the atmosphere and stop young people coming to support Rangers. Seems to me the club havent a clue about fan culture. They were once described as "holy Willies". Hmmm...

With safe standing are you still allocated a space or is it like the free for all in BF1 or away games where UB take over and crowd out the people who should be in that area.

What I am really asking is would we be returning to terracing first come first served rules. My concern being UB taking over BF 2,3 and 4 and ordinary punters wanting to be part of safe standing being forced to the wings.
It’s actually a good point.

And I’m of a totally different view to you.

I’ve always advocated an old style terracing setup where you can enter Ibrox and sit with your mates and RSC’s, and you aren’t pinned to any one seat. A Rover style section it’s called.

The UB being front and central would be the best way to spread the atmosphere IMO. And they couldn’t take over BF2/BF4 because I don’t think they have the numbers for that.

It would be front of BF3 and up.

Being shifted around the stadium is not ideal. We want our next move (central BF with Safe Standing ideally) to be our final. The away corner is too limited in terms of future expansion space for the group, and could also limit future tifos etc.
ok just let us know exactly what seats you want so we know who to move. Let us know of any other things you want as well. Do you need parking next to the stadium or will you be coming on your scooters?

Ah just meant now till you get your move whenever that’ll be.

Yep.

Rather than have all the folk who want to create an atmosphere dotted around the stadium, congregate them together in a safe standing environment.

Never really enjoyed sitting at the football either, just lucky my ST is in at the wall so I can stand but the lack of atmosphere is dreadful.

I understand some guys just want to go watch football, but others want the match day experience to be more enjoyable.

We also have this thing where players are continually told about the great Ibrox atmosphere, only for them to come and mistake it for a library.
IC.

Last edited:
I have no idea how Bisgrove expects to effectively double our commercial income in one year. Sounds like an extremely difficult target to meet, and I doubt he’ll be able to.

Usually, in the first year of a new contract you rarely get a full year's income so work on the basis of an average of 6 months. The following year you get a full 12 months on those contracts plus an average of 6 months for new contracts. The rest depends on the value of the contracts.

Last edited:
Some right self-entitled important people in the support.

For me, it's about the best product on the pitch. I'll happily go without a posh feckin pie for that.

Seems to be the 'go to' statement now, whenever people are asking for basic standards to be raised or looking to improve things for the better.

You might not care, that's up to you but, plenty do. As above there's no reason we can't have both and it also doesn't need to be a slight on the Board or the excellent work they've already done. A massive overhaul of the catering, just as one example, inside and outside the ground, could be a real money spinner for the Club.

It's just a suggestion. How that makes people 'self-entitled' I'm not sure?

To think of the shambles King and other investors took over just a few, to where we are now is incredible.

Look at the squad we have, Europe results, old firm results and 55. Nobody could have predicted it turning so far in such a short period of time.

I think that if there was a survey at least 6k ST holders would want to move to safe standing. We only rent the seat from the club.

Completion End of 2022 is that for the sports bar or has the date for New Edmiston House slipped?

Can't see an answer to this on the thread. I'd assume it meant the Sports Bar.

Edmiston House is at least moving now but there's still talks ongoing about final design on a few of issues. That's not unusual for a contract 6 months before completion but they want to start motoring on it if the original date is going to be met.

Financial report didn’t include bonus payments, good partnership with Castore and interestingly it was mentioned that “we’ve shown we sell a high number of strips in the market”
That’s a very important point and one people ignore about the Castore deal. We wouldn’t have had any reliable recent sales figures to use so were in a weak bargaining position. Everything is being built up again and some things will take longer than others.

I think safe standing could fill the whole of the Govan Front and the corners but it seems those that dont want to stand are determined to stop others from standing. All sorts of reasons are given such as
1 It doesnt increase revenue
2 it wont improve atmosphere
3 Im not giving up my seat
4 The UB sang an inappropriate song
5 Ive got a bad back and cant stand

Its soul destroying knowing the atmosphere will just continue being dreadful.

Its odd that safe standing can only be considered if it brings in more money. Other improvements dont need to increase revenue.

I really despair at the attitude towards safe standing. If the tims were in charge of Ibrox they'd do all they could to kill the atmosphere and stop young people coming to support Rangers. Seems to me the club havent a clue about fan culture. They were once described as "holy Willies". Hmmm...

I don't buy them "they don't have the appetite to move fans" line either.

They did it moving the away fans in to the corner.

Of course, if the ticketing system was fit for purpose and the database of supporters was in any way secure or up to date, it'd be a far easier process to at least start talking about.

I’m not talking about club success, I’m talking about us as fans actually having a decent matchday. Where you can turn up and get decent food outside the stadium and inside. Safe Standing section allowing us to have fans who are committed to cheering the team on for 90 minutes. Things like that, they aren’t hard out of reach for the club.
If I’m in the director’s box listening to the noise about match day experiences how do I square the circle of 1,000’s leaving long before the game is finished?

His past nonsense at AGMs. His behaviour toward other fans. Just a horrible chap. A nut.
I think he was the guy that tried to get John Bennet fired from his job because being a Rangers director meant he wasn't concentrating on his investors interests.

It’s actually a good point.

And I’m of a totally different view to you.

I’ve always advocated an old style terracing setup where you can enter Ibrox and sit with your mates and RSC’s, and you aren’t pinned to any one seat. A Rover style section it’s called.

The UB being front and central would be the best way to spread the atmosphere IMO. And they couldn’t take over BF2/BF4 because I don’t think they have the numbers for that.

It would be front of BF3 and up.

Its pathetic that this is still being blocked years after Celtic introduced it.

Perhaps the club should introduce rover tickets for the whole of the BF for a season to get ST holders used to the idea that the seat does not belong to them. The following year the stand would then convert to safe standing with rover tickets still being used.

Its pathetic that this needs to be done but that's Rangers for you.

Wee boys Hahaha take this mindest so far away

Plenty guys with good and important jobs who are also active supporters. Nothing about wee guys infact it's the opposite educated guys who want the best match day experience.

Sorry you prefer to use Ibrox as an escape from not wearing the pants in your relationship and insult "wee guys"

It's a wild take on it tbh.

It's not like the crap food is stopping anyone going to the game and supporting the team.

Making a suggestion to improve it and actually increase the revenue stream for the club somehow makes you 'self-entitled' or 'daft wee boys'?

From what Ive read and heard today was very positive. Trying to make things better in certain areas from a position of relative strength just seems a logical approach to me.

If I’m in the director’s box listening to the noise about match day experiences how do I square the circle of 1,000’s leaving long before the game is finished?

Im not sure I know what you mean but perhaps people leave early because the atmosphere is crap. I know plenty of fans that dont go after years and years of follow following and they say its because Ibrox is awful.

People are obviously going to be a bit more selfish and shout louder about things that will directly impact them. Hence the bigger discussion for safe standing.

The disabled access not many will know much about. I certainly don’t. But I do know that its been mentioned at every AGM for 3/4/5 years now. Nothing but lip service paid to it.

Another poor show.

I agree, something like that should be top of the list. I don't think anyone would disagree with that mate.

Back