The Rangers AGM

People are obviously going to be a bit more selfish and shout louder about things that will directly impact them. Hence the bigger discussion for safe standing.

The disabled access not many will know much about. I certainly don’t. But I do know that its been mentioned at every AGM for 3/4/5 years now. Nothing but lip service paid to it.

Another poor show.

I was raising it decades ago back in the days of the David Murray charing AGM's in the Main Stand. People on here were accusing me of asking a planted question furfuxake.

Glad to say attitudes have changed both on here and in the Boardroom.

Pretty sure the Board collectively acknowledge there's nowhere left to hide in regards to this issue any longer.

I’m not sure I go with the assumption that safe standing automatically means a better atmosphere. British fan culture has always been reactive to on-the-field happenings.

I am, though, curious why there’s a reluctance from the Board. I wonder if there concerns over fan behaviour.

I guess if you’re keen on it, move your ST to the BF. If it builds organically, the Club will likely have to respond.

I echo the frustration on disabled facilities/access. It’s been decades this has been highlighted and ignored.

I thought we we're discussing fans leaving early and trying to understand why. Im suggesting it might be something to do with how awful Ibrox is. Obviously Im referring to the atmosphere, as Im sure you know.

I guess being in the directors box means the views of those desperate for safe standing is of little interest to you.
I’m not a director.
A little more care in reading my earlier post you’d have picked up that I was posing a rhetorical question.
It wasn’t clear why you found Ibrox to be so awful but a non rhetorical question for you, why go at all?

I’m not sure I go with the assumption that safe standing automatically means a better atmosphere. British fan culture has always been reactive to on-the-field happenings.

I am, though, curious why there’s a reluctance from the Board. I wonder if there concerns over fan behaviour.

I guess if you’re keen on it, move your ST to the BF. If it builds organically, the Club will likely have to respond.

I echo the frustration on disabled facilities/access. It’s been decades this has been highlighted and ignored.
This genuinely isn’t a criticism of the board, but I imagine they think it’ll be too much hassle to deal with a lot of folk saying “am no movin” and such.

To accompany what would likely be only one small part of the ground in safe standing.

Might be a daft question but if the demand for safe standing is so high why aren't more folk in the BF standing throughout games like BF1 and parts of BF2? If the demand is from folk in other areas of the Stadium I'm sure the Union Bears regularly invite folk to register an interest for a transfer to their area of the Stadium.

Personally I support a safe standing area but I think the level of support for it gets skewed on here and the Board, of course, have to be cognisant of the wishes of the wider support.

As one of the 'oldies' on here can I also say that simply having folk standing rather than seated isn't the cure-all for poor atmosphere. I've been in Ibrox long before seating was ever thought of for anyone but the 'snobs' in the Main Stand :) and I can assure you the atmosphere wasn't all that the misty-eyed memories of some on here portray. Fantastic on its day, as it is now, but poor to average on many other occasions.

Hey you, watch it with the Main Stand snobs comment lol

Often wondered if there is a real desire for safe standing amongst the larger fan base.
Other than this forum I don't actually know anyone who wants it.
It's not as if there was mass outrage when the proposal was dismissed at the AGM today.

Really? :) :)

Love to know who voted for it.
“Rangers fans are lauded as Ibrox Stadium is ranked as Britain’s “Greatest Ground” by the reputable Four Four Two magazine – landing a blow on Old Firm rivals Celtic in the process.

Ibrox Stadium is world-renowned for its ferociousness with well-travelled legends of the game such as Gianluigi Buffon and Gary Neville ranking it as amongst the most intimidating.”

Strange that you would down play that, Gramps. Have you experience of many other grounds on match days?

The fans have backed the club phenomenally for the last 10 years including last year’s Covid season. What has the club given back to the fans for this support? Just excuses.
The reward for me is that we have a team on the park that are champions & look good for being so again, well ahead of time too relative to where we once were on & off the pitch.

My post isn't saying safe-standing is a bad idea, just pointing put that it's surely all hands on deck for funding the new manager & the more fundamental facility upgrades required?

Often wondered if there is a real desire for safe standing amongst the larger fan base.
It's not as if there was mass outrage when the proposal was dismissed at the AGM today.
Plenty want it mate.

And as you can see from away games plenty bears love to stand and sing and enjoy an atmosphere. It's more enjoyable for loads of us. Many of us would like to replicate that at Ibrox within a designated area.

It's really not asking for much, but excuses and obstacles are regularly put in the way.

English clubs have seem sense. We are lagging behind, which is poor to say the least.

As has been posted in this thread, 7500 people were polled. 86% in favour mate.

Having started going to Ibrox during the late 1960’s at a time when sitting down to watch the match with a roof over head was regarded an expensive privilege, one does find the clamour to watch while standing slightly amusing.
I can assure our younger posters that I’ve no recollection of it enhancing the atmosphere. That tended to be occasion driven a bit like the game last Thursday I recon.
Then as now the singing group was largely the younger ones (I was a younger singing version of my self then).
Mr VB, kind sir, I’ve been in there since 1970.

Who do you think starts the singing ?
My uncle occasionally sat in the Main Stand and when I went with him (lift over obviously) at a young age my thoughts were ‘how much??’ :)
Tight wad loyal.

Zero appetite from the current board to install safe standing. It won't even be getting discussed at any level whatsoever, it is not happening.

I skipped forward 10 pages to avoid the safe standing debate, waste of time :D Maybe take it to another thread :)

What's all that great about standing at Ibrox ? I stood in the pouring rain, snow, sleet and freezing cold for years and it wasn't that great an experience to be honest. A metal stanchion isn't that comfy when your stomach is being pressed against it when the crowd moves and you are hanging on like grim death when it moves back. I bet it is the youngsters that are all for it and the auld yins are like me and prefer their wee seat.

For the disabled, a couple of thousand seats could be made available in the stands or the old enclosure for them where they could get a decent view and some degree of safety

I am surprised that the pies didn't get a mention this year as it is not Ibrox or the Rangers experience without a pie and cup of Bovril. I wish they would bring them to the Maple Leafs and Blue Jays and I have said it before that if they want to upgrade the Experience they should outsource the catering to McDonalds or Tim Hortons. Timbits pose no danger when thrown and one of the enw Justin Bieber Timbits should have a much greater range that the chocolate ones, with no danger unlike the pie that almost broke my shoulder at one game against the papes.

Last edited:
His feets just in the door so I'll give him time to make his mark early indications look like he's definitely an upgrade on the previous arrangements but that in itself isn't a ringing endorsement.

I guess time will tell, however I'm far more hopeful than I used to be.
Cheers. I wasn’t sure if he was in place thanks for confirming.

As has been posted in this thread, 7500 people were polled. 86% in favour mate.
Not really a conclusive poll then is it.
Only 15% of the people that attend on a matchday.
I've as much chance of getting asked to show my covid certificate as I have getting asked if I want safe standing.

Might be a daft question but if the demand for safe standing is so high why aren't more folk in the BF standing throughout games like BF1 and parts of BF2? If the demand is from folk in other areas of the Stadium I'm sure the Union Bears regularly invite folk to register an interest for a transfer to their area of the Stadium.

Personally I support a safe standing area but I think the level of support for it gets skewed on here and the Board, of course, have to be cognisant of the wishes of the wider support.

As one of the 'oldies' on here can I also say that simply having folk standing rather than seated isn't the cure-all for poor atmosphere. I've been in Ibrox long before seating was ever thought of for anyone but the 'snobs' in the Main Stand :) and I can assure you the atmosphere wasn't all that the misty-eyed memories of some on here portray. Fantastic on its day, as it is now, but poor to average on many other occasions.
I’m in the main stand, and would move if there was a dedicated, organised safe standing section that was advertised.

I’m not going to move to BF2 and hope everyone else does the same.

There needs to be safe standing in 4/5 sections, and everyone who wants to sing & contribute moves over.

Doing it unofficially and hoping for the best isn’t appealing and clearly won’t work. UB/BF1 have not grown (in terms of numbers) since they moved there.

Wee boys Hahaha take this mindest so far away

Plenty guys with good and important jobs who are also active supporters. Nothing about wee guys infact it's the opposite educated guys who want the best match day experience.

Sorry you prefer to use Ibrox as an escape from not wearing the pants in your relationship and insult "wee guys"
The same "wee boys" who were onto the spivs from minute one.

An inconvenient truth for some.

Not really a conclusive poll then is it.
Only 15% of the people that attend on a matchday.
I've as much chance of getting asked to show my covid certificate as I have getting asked if I want safe standing.
Polling 15% is easily enough to gauge opinion. Elections are often forecasted to within decimal point percentages with that many votes counted.

Why?All he does is greet and moan on a daily basis and decries the board.I would love safe standing but it is not happening anytime soon,He will just have to accept it for the time being.
Mate, I'm not taking sides and although I'd like safe standing at Ibrox, it's not something that overly concerns me.
My beef is telling someone to chuck their season ticket because they aired their opinion and you disagreed with it.

Could a seat swap option be the answer?

Similair to the schemes they use in housing associations. You can advertise a swap request with your seat details. It might make the folk who are already in the designated area a bit more inclined to move if they have an option rather than being forced.

Might be a ball ache to manage but not impossible.

I think standing sections in the enclosures, similar to what it was like before, would create quite an intimidating atmosphere - Like you I'm not convinced by choreography but feel there would be a natural energy running the full length of the pitch.

I'm also not sure if the club trusts the fans in general.

Yeah, a huge target for him to meet.

You would like to think he is confident in meeting it though as why would he say it so publicly.

Edminston House and the new Bar at the shop all sound great.

Wish the club would get a move on with the safe standing though.

Noticed last week at the Prague game that large sections of the crowd remained standing for most of the game anyway.
Standing in a seated section is a nightmare for people who can’t stand for 90 mins.
It’s very selfish and unless it’s like BF1 should not be allowed.
I’m in favour of Safe Standing behind both goals Lower Level

How many people have you asked? Ibrox atmosphere is terrible and puttin all the people who want to create and atmosphere in one place is the only way to sort it

I think safe standing area would look absolutely shite at Ibrox, Where would we have it bottom of the Broomie? That would look naf, just an opinion

I think they'll be pissing themselves laughing at the way the club ignores those that want to improve the atmosphere.

Doubt it mate.

They're only ever interested in our finances and they'll be gutted by the statements and projections made today.

I couldn't make it due to work today, but pretty much everyone I've spoken to said it was the most positive AGM they've attended in a very long time.

Plenty of positivity from them all, regards our future and a lot of praise for Wilson, Bisgrove and Robertson.

Many thanks for the updates Mark, couldnt be there sadly.

The majority of the rest of the thread is utterly pathetic self important nonsense.

“My” safe standing (now!)
“My” bus wants this
“My” Rangers shirt should be made by this company.

Minimal useful content or debate on key matters affecting our clubs ability to win. Overrun by irrelevant tosh.

Back