Euro 2020 final disorder: Ticketless thugs 'could have caused death' at England v Italy game

rangeral

"Ticketless, drunken and drugged-up thugs" could have caused death as they stormed Wembley before the Euro 2020 final, says a review into the disorder.

The report by Baroness Louise Casey said there was a "collective failure" in planning for the match, which about 2,000 people got into illegally.
It noted 17 mass breaches of disabled access gates and emergency fire doors.

Lady Casey said the "appalling scene of disorder" as England played Italy led to a "day of national shame".

Her report said there was a "collective failure" in planning for the match on 11 July, including a "vulnerable" stewarding operation lacking experience partly because of the pandemic and the police deployment arriving "too late".

The knowledge that about 25,000 of Wembley's 90,000 seats would be left empty because of Covid restrictions contributed to a "perfect storm" of factors.

"Our team of role models were in our first major final for 55 years. However they were let down by a horde of ticketless, drunken and drugged up thugs who chose to abuse innocent, vulnerable and disabled people, as well as police officers, volunteers and Wembley staff," said Lady Casey.

"We are genuinely lucky that there was not much more serious injury or worse, and need to take the toughest possible action against people who think a football match is somehow an excuse to behave like that.

"I am clear that the primary responsibility for what went wrong at Wembley that day lies with those who lost control of their own behaviour."

Italy beat England on penalties to become European champions.

The review into the disorder on the day also found that:

• An England victory in the shootout would have created a "further huge public safety risk" with up to 6,000 people planning to storm the stadium at full-time to celebrate as the gates opened to allow ticket-holders to leave.
  • There was "a collective failure" among the organisations who staged the final to plan for the "foreseeable risk" of disorder and ticketless fans converging on the stadium.
  • Alcohol and drugs were a key factor in the disorder as fans arrived at the stadium up to eight hours before the 20:00 BST kick-off.
  • Planning for the final was hampered by the extra strain placed on authorities by managing the Covid-19 pandemic restrictions and the loss of experienced stewards.

What does the review recommend?​

In the foreword of her report, Lady Casey says: "One of the saddest parts of this process has been hearing the testimony of FA staff.

"While they did not want the England team to lose that night, such was their concern for what might happen in the event of an England victory, they ended up with a feeling of huge relief at the result.

"In the end the penalty shootout went Italy's way, the rain came down, and the crowds dispersed largely quietly. But we should not lose sight of how close the alternative was. And they should never have had to feel that way anyway."

Lady Casey concluded that "law-abiding fans, our national team and our national game deserve better" and that the events of 11 July "can't be allowed to happen again".

She said the absence of fan zones close to the stadium were "potentially a very significant factor" in the situation spiralling out of control, and that the ban on drinking on London transport was not enforced strictly enough.

The national euphoria and focus on the final made fans gathering and disorder "foreseeable" and "there was a collective failure to plan for the worse-case scenario".

Lady Casey wrote: "Finally, the biggest challenge I lay down is around the culture that led some individuals on the day at Wembley, and in the days after on social media, to choose to behave in this way.

"What makes people believe that it is somehow acceptable to break into a stadium or abuse disabled entrances just because it is a big match or there are spare seats inside?

"Why on earth should black footballers be expected to continue to play for their country amid racist abuse from their own countrymen?"

Marcus Rashford, Jadon Sancho and Bukayo Saka were racially abused on social media after the game.

Lady Casey recommends a series of more general changes to help prevent a repeat:

• Empowering authorities to act more strongly against fans using drugs, flares and smoke bombs at matches and around stadiums and entering stadiums without a ticket.
  • A Football Association campaign to force "a sea-change in attitudes towards supporter behaviours".
  • Better communication between the agencies overseeing the match and the flow of fans to the stadium.
  • A new category for football matches "of national significance" to make organisers aware of the unique challenges of such major events.
The Metropolitan Police had said that 51 arrests were made connected to the final, with 26 of those made at Wembley. In all, there were 90 football-related arrests of England fans at Euro 2020.

England have been ordered to play one match behind closed doors and the FA fined 100,000 euros (£84,560) by European football governing body Uefa as punishment for the unrest.

UK Sport has denied that England's possible bid to host the 2030 World Cup has been irrecoverably damaged by the disorder.

What was the reaction?​

Football Association chief executive Mark Bullingham said that "no event is set up to deal with such disgraceful behaviour from thousands of ticketless fans", but apologised "for the terrible experience that many suffered within Wembley on what should have been a historic night".

"We fully accept the report's findings and there are important learnings for us, as well as other agencies involved," he added. Collectively we must never allow this to happen again."

Julian Knight MP, chair of the Digital, Culture, Media and Sport committee, said: "It is clear that we narrowly averted disaster on a major scale at Wembley. This day of national shame saw the behaviour of drunken and drugged-up thugs put the lives of genuine football fans at serious risk.

"That a collective failure in planning allowed safety breaches on this scale is a grave charge given that the risk was foreseeable.

"We must see action taken by football authorities before we bid for any major tournaments. The DCMS Committee will be monitoring not what is said today but what is done in the weeks and months ahead."

A statement from Brent council said: "We welcome Baroness Casey's detailed and balanced report. This is not about a blame game, this is about learning lessons to ensure that the shocking scenes of Euro Sunday can never be repeated. We will work closely with partners, including the FA and Metropolitan Police, to take forward the recommendations."

'This was dicey... it was scary'​

BBC sports news correspondent Natalie Pirks

I've been to hundreds of matches at Wembley in my two decades of being a sports broadcaster. This was dicey... it was scary. It felt like nothing I've ever experienced before.

I would always have said in the past that I'd take my children to England matches but I was so very glad that they weren't there that day.

It was very evident from about 10am that there were no police around. There were fans that were already drunk and worse, and there was no-one around. It does say in the report the police didn't start getting there until about noon, and at that time there were already a lot of fans on the ground.

From 1pm onwards, given it was an 8pm kick-off, you knew what that would entail in terms of drinking all day - but it was so much worse. Flares going off, drug-taking in the streets, lamp posts being bent over, fighting.

When you go abroad with England, you see certain England fans who are very respectful of the culture, they enjoy being with England and are very respectful generally of the country. The fans that you saw that day are not necessarily those England fans.

"Ticketless, drunken and drugged-up thugs" could have caused death as they stormed Wembley before the Euro 2020 final, says a review into the disorder.

The report by Baroness Louise Casey said there was a "collective failure" in planning for the match, which about 2,000 people got into illegally.
It noted 17 mass breaches of disabled access gates and emergency fire doors.

Lady Casey said the "appalling scene of disorder" as England played Italy led to a "day of national shame".

Her report said there was a "collective failure" in planning for the match on 11 July, including a "vulnerable" stewarding operation lacking experience partly because of the pandemic and the police deployment arriving "too late".

The knowledge that about 25,000 of Wembley's 90,000 seats would be left empty because of Covid restrictions contributed to a "perfect storm" of factors.

"Our team of role models were in our first major final for 55 years. However they were let down by a horde of ticketless, drunken and drugged up thugs who chose to abuse innocent, vulnerable and disabled people, as well as police officers, volunteers and Wembley staff," said Lady Casey.

"We are genuinely lucky that there was not much more serious injury or worse, and need to take the toughest possible action against people who think a football match is somehow an excuse to behave like that.

"I am clear that the primary responsibility for what went wrong at Wembley that day lies with those who lost control of their own behaviour."

Italy beat England on penalties to become European champions.

The review into the disorder on the day also found that:

• An England victory in the shootout would have created a "further huge public safety risk" with up to 6,000 people planning to storm the stadium at full-time to celebrate as the gates opened to allow ticket-holders to leave.
  • There was "a collective failure" among the organisations who staged the final to plan for the "foreseeable risk" of disorder and ticketless fans converging on the stadium.
  • Alcohol and drugs were a key factor in the disorder as fans arrived at the stadium up to eight hours before the 20:00 BST kick-off.
  • Planning for the final was hampered by the extra strain placed on authorities by managing the Covid-19 pandemic restrictions and the loss of experienced stewards.

What does the review recommend?​

In the foreword of her report, Lady Casey says: "One of the saddest parts of this process has been hearing the testimony of FA staff.

"While they did not want the England team to lose that night, such was their concern for what might happen in the event of an England victory, they ended up with a feeling of huge relief at the result.

"In the end the penalty shootout went Italy's way, the rain came down, and the crowds dispersed largely quietly. But we should not lose sight of how close the alternative was. And they should never have had to feel that way anyway."

Lady Casey concluded that "law-abiding fans, our national team and our national game deserve better" and that the events of 11 July "can't be allowed to happen again".

She said the absence of fan zones close to the stadium were "potentially a very significant factor" in the situation spiralling out of control, and that the ban on drinking on London transport was not enforced strictly enough.

The national euphoria and focus on the final made fans gathering and disorder "foreseeable" and "there was a collective failure to plan for the worse-case scenario".

Lady Casey wrote: "Finally, the biggest challenge I lay down is around the culture that led some individuals on the day at Wembley, and in the days after on social media, to choose to behave in this way.

"What makes people believe that it is somehow acceptable to break into a stadium or abuse disabled entrances just because it is a big match or there are spare seats inside?

"Why on earth should black footballers be expected to continue to play for their country amid racist abuse from their own countrymen?"

Marcus Rashford, Jadon Sancho and Bukayo Saka were racially abused on social media after the game.

Lady Casey recommends a series of more general changes to help prevent a repeat:

• Empowering authorities to act more strongly against fans using drugs, flares and smoke bombs at matches and around stadiums and entering stadiums without a ticket.
  • A Football Association campaign to force "a sea-change in attitudes towards supporter behaviours".
  • Better communication between the agencies overseeing the match and the flow of fans to the stadium.
  • A new category for football matches "of national significance" to make organisers aware of the unique challenges of such major events.
The Metropolitan Police had said that 51 arrests were made connected to the final, with 26 of those made at Wembley. In all, there were 90 football-related arrests of England fans at Euro 2020.

England have been ordered to play one match behind closed doors and the FA fined 100,000 euros (£84,560) by European football governing body Uefa as punishment for the unrest.

UK Sport has denied that England's possible bid to host the 2030 World Cup has been irrecoverably damaged by the disorder.

What was the reaction?​

Football Association chief executive Mark Bullingham said that "no event is set up to deal with such disgraceful behaviour from thousands of ticketless fans", but apologised "for the terrible experience that many suffered within Wembley on what should have been a historic night".

"We fully accept the report's findings and there are important learnings for us, as well as other agencies involved," he added. Collectively we must never allow this to happen again."

Julian Knight MP, chair of the Digital, Culture, Media and Sport committee, said: "It is clear that we narrowly averted disaster on a major scale at Wembley. This day of national shame saw the behaviour of drunken and drugged-up thugs put the lives of genuine football fans at serious risk.

"That a collective failure in planning allowed safety breaches on this scale is a grave charge given that the risk was foreseeable.

"We must see action taken by football authorities before we bid for any major tournaments. The DCMS Committee will be monitoring not what is said today but what is done in the weeks and months ahead."

A statement from Brent council said: "We welcome Baroness Casey's detailed and balanced report. This is not about a blame game, this is about learning lessons to ensure that the shocking scenes of Euro Sunday can never be repeated. We will work closely with partners, including the FA and Metropolitan Police, to take forward the recommendations."

'This was dicey... it was scary'​

BBC sports news correspondent Natalie Pirks

I've been to hundreds of matches at Wembley in my two decades of being a sports broadcaster. This was dicey... it was scary. It felt like nothing I've ever experienced before.

I would always have said in the past that I'd take my children to England matches but I was so very glad that they weren't there that day.

It was very evident from about 10am that there were no police around. There were fans that were already drunk and worse, and there was no-one around. It does say in the report the police didn't start getting there until about noon, and at that time there were already a lot of fans on the ground.

From 1pm onwards, given it was an 8pm kick-off, you knew what that would entail in terms of drinking all day - but it was so much worse. Flares going off, drug-taking in the streets, lamp posts being bent over, fighting.

When you go abroad with England, you see certain England fans who are very respectful of the culture, they enjoy being with England and are very respectful generally of the country. The fans that you saw that day are not necessarily those England fans.
They were very lucky this wasn’t a disaster with multiple fatalities. Crazy stuff.

At least it's not being swept under the carpet. The "policing" was a disgrace.
There was no chance of this ever being swept under the carpet.

Mostly white , mostly british men causing problems - its the left wing medias wet dream.

The blame lies with UEFA - using minimum wage customer care stewards to guard the stadium , and hoping for no crowd trouble in a game of this size, is an absolute joke.

Mostly white , mostly british men causing problems - its the left wing medias wet dream.

The blame lies with UEFA - using minimum wage customer care stewards to guard the stadium , and hoping for no crowd trouble in a game of this size, is an absolute joke.
FA were in control of that side mind weren't they.

No it doesn’t, the blame lies with the FA and the utter half wits who caused the trouble.

As were the 'fans'.

Indicative of a breakdown in behaviour generally amongst a certain demographic in society. I guess that's what happens when there's next to no deterrent for behaving like an entitled arsehole.
England fans seem to always get on like absolute pricks home and away no harm to them

Ban them from all national tournaments for 5 years. Total scum of a support who cause trouble at every tournament.
Well that's a hate fuelled comment if I've ever seen one.

Shall we ban all of the Scotland fans too for the blatantly racist anti english chants in London?

Sound like a yes voter to me , go get yourself a season ticket at the paedo dome whilst your at it

Shall we ban all of the Scotland fans too for the blatantly racist anti english chants in London?

Sound like a yes voter to me , go get yourself a season ticket at the paedo dome whilst your at it
So, do you condone the English fans behaviour? Or are you trying to derail the thread into a political point scoring issue.
It's not hate filled, merely based on historical behaviour.
Why don't you go and live in England, attend their games or....... Are you content to sit behind a keyboard?

All in all a poor operation by the FA and the Met Police.
In my opinion there should have been a cordon around the stadium for about a quarter of a mile until 3hrs before the kick off.
It was plain to see on all the live TV reports throughout the day, of swarms of people with carry-outs and no doubt an amount of their choice narcotic in their pocket. Lack of toilets, lack of stewards and Police in the lead up to the game allowed the people assembled to become more and more drunk and badly behaved. The cordon could also have been used to check for tickets and the state the attendees were in, before allowing them access.
Could easily have been avoided, but stewards are paid poorly and Police budgets have been slashed over the last ten years by the Government in an effort to save money, whilst threatening the very safety and safeguarding of the population.

So, do you condone the English fans behaviour? Or are you trying to derail the thread into a political point scoring issue.
Why don't you go and live in England, attend their games or....... Are you content to sit behind a keyboard?

Oh he's a yes voter alright, hadn't seen him in here for a while but knew he'd be straight on this thread.

What other fans were involved?
Innocent, law abiding, upstanding England fans were also involved. They were the victims of boorish thuggery by an element of society which is just as common in Scotland as it is in other parts of our United Kingdom.

Go on, tell us it doesn't happen in Bonnie Scotland.
Take a wee trip to the toilets at Ibrox at half time and you'll find the same louts. Self entitled hooligans that don't give a shit for the laws and rules that decent folks conduct themselves by.

Oh and 'whataboutery'? That's what people (see Hugh Keevins, Stuart Cosgorve, et al) cry when they don't like the spotlight shone back at them.

No I don't condone the behaviour of the fans that day, it was poor behaviour to say the least. But unlike you , I don't class the entire support as scum because of them.

You sound like a snatzi with hate and a political agenda which is why I brought your politics up

FYI I grew up in england, live in Scotland now , still a part of the England supporters travel club and attend most games, and hardly witness any trouble , so all your assumptions about me are wrong

Ban them from all national tournaments for 5 years. Total scum of a support who cause trouble at every tournament.
I remember not too long ago you denied calling anyone "English scum". Yet here we are.
Why don't you go and live in England??? Deary me, spoken like a true nat. Before you ask, no I don't condone the minority element of England fans who acted disgracefully, unlike the vast majority who simply went to support their team but that's the difference, you detest the English support so tar them all with the same brush.

They’re skin colour and nationality is irrelevant. They behaved like utter cnuts.

Amazing how the nats on this thread are never to be found on the threads relating to the constant attacks on our support and club by nationalist party members but are straight on putting the boot into the English
Exactly mate. An unwritten policy by a political party running the govt, using taxpayers money to demonize the club and fans, yet not a f**ken peep from any of them.

Amazing how the nats on this thread are never to be found on the threads relating to the constant attacks on our support and club by nationalist party members but are straight on putting the boot into the English

My best pal was there. He’s English and proud, loves the drink and the white powder. He left the area before the game started because of the arseholes. Far too many coked up after drinking all day.

can we have the gif of the chav doing gear in the park....

man-snorting-coke.jpg

No I don't condone the behaviour of the fans that day, it was poor behaviour to say the least. But unlike you , I don't class the entire support as scum because of them.

You sound like a snatzi with hate and a political agenda which is why I brought your politics up

FYI I grew up in england, live in Scotland now , still a part of the England supporters travel club and attend most games, and hardly witness any trouble , so all your assumptions about me are wrong
You're obviously looking in the wrong place. Every tournament the English fans cause trouble.

I find it more amazing that posters on here defend anything tory and English yet put the boot into anything Scottish. I wonder where they actually live and why!

My best pal was there. He’s English and proud, loves the drink and the white powder. He left the area before the game started because of the arseholes. Far too many coked up after drinking all day.
Yeah,ZS, your pal is not a thug though.

I drank all day at Man' '08. From 8 in the morning. Had some powder later on, and went to the game with a ticket. Got in no bother. Watched the game no bother. Left disappointed and was still no trouble.

Thugs and bigots use football to somehow excuse, or hide behind, their antisocial attitudes. Neds through and through.

Go on then where was the bother at in Russia and Brazil? Was at both and saw none

Go on then where was the bother at in Russia and Brazil? Was at both and saw none.
Certainly it is a long time since followers of the Scottish national team or [Scotland's] great club sides have caused the sickening mayhem which English fans have produced in Belgium, France, Luxembourg, Spain and Switzerland in the past three years. [...] English fans have come to be regarded in Continental football circles as by far and away the worst in Europe, if not the world.
The Glasgow Herald on English hooliganism in Europe

Back