Ryan Porteous needs to grow up and start acting like a pro to fulfil potential says Boyd: right now I wouldn’t bet on it

I don’t see it, he’s not a decent defender who needs to screw the nut.

He’s utterly hopeless and not even the best centre half in that Hibs team. Constantly switching off and letting strikers just walk away off his shoulder, Morelos should have got at least one goal out of him on Wednesday and has had plenty joy out him in the past.

If your level of ambition is to be a cult hero at Hibs then more power to you.

As for him knuckling down, as pointed out, this has been said for a number of years now and nothing's changed.

Not our problem.

John Soutar on the otherhand...

I'd agree with Boyd.

To sum it up. "The guys a decent defender but an absolute bellend"
He's not a decent defender. Cast your mind back to last season when he was the only dumpling to play Morelos onside in a game where it looked like we could drop points. He was garbage then and he still is.

He's shite, and would only be considered young in Scotland. He's 23 in a month and hasn't learned a thing since he first appeared.
I disagree his general defending is good and his long distance passing is excellent. He had 3 or 4 60-70 yard passes precisely on to his team mates toe He just needs to stop the sudden rush of blood to the head moments and stop thinking he is a smart ass. I wouldn't mind him at Ibrox but it will probably be tin city he will end up at as he seems to hate Rangers.

He's not a decent defender. Cast your mind back to last season when he was the only dumpling to play Morelos onside in a game where it looked like we could drop points. He was garbage then and he still is.
I'd disagree mate. He's certainly no world beater, but he's a good defender.

I disagree his general defending is good and his long distance passing is excellent. He had 3 or 4 60-70 yard passes precisely on to his team mates toe He just needs to stop the sudden rush of blood to the head moments and stop thinking he is a smart ass. I wouldn't mind him at Ibrox but it will probably be tin city he will end up at as he seems to hate Rangers.

The guy is pushing 23 and has shown zero signs of maturing. Asking him to cut out the daft rushes of blood to the head is like asking Fred West to stop being murderous or Neil Lennon to stop being a cunt - it's not going to happen.

The guy is pushing 23 and has shown zero signs of maturing. Asking him to cut out the daft rushes of blood to the head is like asking Fred West to stop being murderous or Neil Lennon to stop being a cunt - it's not going to happen.
Morelos has changed his spots. Age changes all of us. 23 is still a youth level football it is not old.

Ridiculous comparison to make. Morelos was at most daft and petulant, he's never tried to maim an opposition player. The same can't be said for Porteous who seems to do it weekly.
The comparison with Morelos is that you can change and we all do around that age. porteous is no different he will grow up eventually.

He’ll remain just another mediocre centre half.

It’s much easier on the simpleton, rhabid, fuckhead ned brain of his just to take out someone’s legs rather than train the ability to actually go for the ball…

RYAN PORTEOUS is one of the best young defenders in Scotland.
He shouldn’t just be a late call-up for the Scotland squad when others pull out — he should be in there from the get-go.

He shouldn’t just be satisfied with pulling on that Hibs jersey — he should have lofty ambitions of getting to the English Premier League and making himself a fortune by playing at the highest level possible.
I can’t be any clearer when I say Porteous is a talent with so much to his game that can be liked and admired.
Quick, good on the ball, he can pass it, he can head it, he’s strong as an ox and has a tremendous will to win.
But would I bet my last fiver on him fulfilling that potential? I’m sorry, but the answer to that question is a definite no.
I’m not saying this to have a go at the boy.
In fact, I genuinely hope he reads this column and takes on board what I’m saying about him because I’d love nothing more than to see him make the best of himself.

I watch the way he conducts himself and it annoys the life out of me.
He’s a Hibs fan, we get it. He doesn’t like Rangers? Okay, that’s fine.
But he’s also a professional footballer and it’s high time he learned to grow up and start acting like one.
Listen, I’m first to enjoy a bit of banter and I don’t have any problem with people showing their personality. In fact, I’d always encourage it.
But that’s not what’s happening with Porteous. It’s not a laugh and a joke with him.
He’s stepping onto a football park and behaving in a way that’s letting down his club, his manager, his supporters and his team-mates.
But you know what? The one person he’s killing more than anybody is HIMSELF.
His comments after Hibs beat Rangers in the Premier Sports Cup semi-final at Hampden were quite funny, sure.
But did that do Hibs any favours on Wednesday night against Rangers at Easter Road? Did it hell.
The red card he got at Ibrox earlier this season. Did that help the team that afternoon? Of course it didn’t.
Kris reckons Porteous has plenty of raw materials to work with
Kris reckons Porteous has plenty of raw materials to work with
He went out on Wednesday and did everything he could to draw attention to himself in the first 20 minutes.
In trying to get Gers striker Alfredo Morelos booked, all he was doing was annoying referee John Beaton.
The penalty was a stonewaller and I don’t care what anyone else says.
But Beaton thought long and hard about the incident before pointing to the spot.
Maybe if Porteous hadn’t been noising him up all game he might have looked at it differently.
That’s why I think the boy needs to wise up. The penny needs to drop with him that acting the hard man and clever in front of the cameras is only going to backfire.
Put it this way, do you think Steven Gerrard cares about what he was saying in front of the TV cameras at Hampden?
Let me assure you, he couldn’t have cared any less. Gerrard has been over the course so many times that he would have forgotten about Porteous.

The worry I’ve got is that clubs and scouts looking at him will feel the same.
Players can have all the best attributes in the world — but if people within the game believe there is any flaw, then he’s got no chance.
It would be a crying shame if that’s how things turned out but there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that he’s not doing himself any favours.
Jack Ross has defended him time and again and that’s because he’s a good manager.
But privately he’ll be having quiet words with Porteous and trying to get into his head.
It’s okay to be aggressive and on the front foot as a defender. But I watch him and it’s like he’s literally going out of his way to act tough.
Trust me when I say this, the toughest defenders don’t smash you and then lean over you and scream in your face.
From my experience, they say nothing, turn and get on with the game. Porteous needs to learn that.
He needs to realise that behaving like a Hibs fan out on the pitch isn’t going to get him to where he should be going.
I’ll say it again, he should be going to the top. He’s good enough in my eyes.

He ticks all the boxes when it comes to what a defender needs to make it at the highest level.
But he needs to get his head straight. If he does, there could be no stopping him.
He should be thinking about how Scotland are just two games away from making it to the World Cup and have it in his head that, if they do, he’s going to be on the plane.
You can’t tell me Jack Hendry is a better player.
But right now he’s a player Steve Clarke looks at and knows he can trust — and he WON’T feel the same about Porteous.
It’s all down to the player himself. If he wants to play at Hibs all his days and run around like a Hibee when he steps onto the Easter Road pitch, then that’s up to him.
If he sees himself as the next Paul Hanlon or Lewis Stevenson, then fair enough.
But I genuinely believe he’s got the potential to be better than that.
I just hope he realises that himself, before it’s too late.
Why does he care?
I would much rather he turned his ire towards The Japanese kid.
Good player, but these theatrical falls, are becoming legendary embarrassing.

Last edited:
The comparison with Morelos is that you can change and we all do around that age. porteous is no different he will grow up eventually.

That's still no comparison. Morelos was nowhere near as daft as Porteous currently is. I'm not taking the piss when I say Porteous seems to have some genuine emotional problems, the way he always laughs during a game isn't normal. Some people are just idiots and never change, Porteous is one of them.

Why do people always start by saying he’s a great player and can go to the top, then go on to list numerous bad traits? Surely you can’t be a top player and have so many negatives? It seems to me like they are having to justify calling it as they see it.

He’s an ok player in Scotland, could certainly be looking at a place in the Scottish set up if he screwed the nut, but you can’t say he’s the next Baresi then follow it up with how much he does wrong?

Great defender my erse, he has been playing in a defence that's just lost 6 leagues matches on the bounce. He's pish and I do hope he ends up at sharkheed.

McCann disappointed me by saying on Sportscene we don't like Porteous because he said a few things. I couldn't give a f*ck what he's said, it's the attempts to injure our players that shape my hatred of him.
Exactly.
I hate him because he changes his stride, when going into a tackle, just so he can injure a fellow professional.

Karma will be sweet when he destroys his ACL.

If he was any good at all he would have been away from Hivs years ago.
A thug who will meet his lot on the pitch one day.

I don't get this personality cult for Porteous at all. He's a big gormless diddy best left ignored.

Who cares Boydy! As long as he keeps handicapping the spoon burners against us. He’s a thuggish man child and it’s telling what a total little bitch he is when Alfie gives as good as he gets…Screaming at Beaton like a vanquished school bully.

I was speaking to a Hibs fan a few weeks ago and he was telling me him and his mates wanted him dropped after giving away another goal with a defensive mistake even before his mistake in the semi final and the penalty the other night.

He does give away goals with stupid mistakes as well as his hard man attitude, not a bad footballer but Boyd is right no potential club or Scotland can trust him unless he wises up.

Don't think he'll ever be a top defender. Guy can't tackle and always dives in, sliding and high. He's done a few of our players and even one of the scum. Guys costing Hibs points, not saving them as a defender should

Boyd was correct in saying it was a stonewaller on Wednesday. He is one of the few pundits with integrity

I don’t see it. Passing is poor, he’s regularly beaten in the air and his positional sense and awareness is all over the place.

He’s not got the required attitude or discipline to play at a higher level.

Going all balls into a 50/50, reckless challenges, laughing at your opponents, thumping the ground in anger, snarling at the referee and opponents does not make you a good player.

Press him whilst in possession and he will make an error, his long balls are aimless punts up the park - unlike Goldson for example.

Massively overrated and as someone said on this thread, seems to get praise for his last ditch style. That's a massive red flag when looking at centre halves - shows they're lacking in positioning and anticipation skills.

Guy hates rangers - yeah join the queue. Lets see how many trophies he lifts in his career...

Massively overrated and as someone said on this thread, seems to get praise for his last ditch style. That's a massive red flag when looking at centre halves - shows they're lacking in positioning and anticipation skills.

Guy hates rangers - yeah join the queue. Lets see how many trophies he lifts in his career...

Hopefully one in a few weeks time. Other than that, he’ll win very little.

bizarrely, I feel he has changed/added to his game this game.

Unfortunately, the things he's added are diving about Furuhashi style on the slightest touch, as well as hitting the turf in frustration when he doesn't get nothing decisions.

An absolute tadger.

Not sure I’m seeing this “talent” Boyd is talking about. I mean if you consider lumbering around the pitch with all the grace of Frankenstein’s monster wearing leg calipers, lunging into tackles even the most drunken Sunday League player would know not to attempt and now you can add diving and other theatrics as talent them I guess Hibs might have the golden goose worth millions and not £ I’m talking Dembele dollars

His career highlight, is the moment where he stood over Morelos and laughed like some braying donkey …. being immortalised in print.

A mouth breathing halfwit.

Reading Boyd, it's brutal thinking that of all the Scottish players in the SPL, Porteous is one of the ones who could get himself a move to England (Championship or maybe low Premiership) and make a load of money doing so. Imagine what a tw*t he'd be with all that money. I reckon he ends up following the time-honored path of Hibs wanks like Riordan, Brown etc and ends up at them though.
I didn’t read further than the first line. He’s not a good player. It’s tiresome that this pish gets rolled out after every game against us.

He’s a fraud as he only gives 100% against us. If he’s that good, one would think that he’d make the defenders round about him better and Hivs wouldn’t be a mid to bottom table side.

It’s the same with Hivs every year, they have a wee spurt start off well and the usual pish comes out about them being title challengers. A few weeks later they are double figures behind the team at the top. Yo7 can set your watch by it.

Why don’t we here about how good he is consistently? Why was he not pilloried for that juvenile picture of him bawling at Alfie? Why is he not pilloried for the wild tackles that he commits? He endangers the profession of opponents the way he tackles.

He will never move to England, he’s bang average and at 23, for him still to be behaving this way tells he is a dullard/Ned/prick of the highest order.

He did have potential two maybe three years ago, it can’t be denied. However he hasn’t progressed much if at all. More interested in pantomime notoriety than quiet calm consistent composed accomplished centre back performances.
Totally, how many chances do you give ? If he had any sense he would recognise how lucky he is to have a chance to make a very good career. You can take a horse to water but you can't make it drink. ;)

Totally, how many chances do you give ? If he had any sense he would recognise how lucky he is to have a chance to make a very good career. You can take a horse to water but you can't make it drink. ;)
How many chances do you give u ask… well to have progressed to the next level that chance has almost certainly passed for him. I genuinely thought he would’ve been a certainty to sign for them last January during their collapse and centre back implosion.

Porteous is one of those tiresome players whose height of ambition is to be a dick playing against Rangers.

Never saw it with him before but must admit I thought he was immense the other night right up until giving away the penalty.

The Hibs defence were ropey for the Morelos sitter but it was great movement from him to get in between the centre halfs.

He should get out of Scotland.

A clueless, positionally naive player who, at his age, is unlikely to develop or mature into much more than he is now.

I agree with everything you say, except for that line, he will develop just by playing - that is inevitable, he's got about 5 years to go before he comes into his peak as as a CB.
The maturity angle, well that may never happen. It depends completely on the boy himself, there's been plenty of Scottish footballers that were too daft or lazy to get the best out of themselves, every club could name a few.
Boyd is correct though, there is a very decent player in there it just seems like his head is full of broken bottles.

Porteous is a Rangers hating arsehole

He also has a feud with Morelos and that is affecting the way he plays.

Barging into Morelos and looking for a reaction definitely affects his game and he looks more interested in fighting Alfie so he can boast to him Hibs supporting pals and relatives

The guy is a liability v Rangers given the way he focuses on being the centre of attention

He has tried to maim several Rangers players and rightly received 3/4 red cards

I hope someone does him good and proper as he deserves retribution from fellow pros who he has tried to hurt.

The guy is a thug and a ned

Back