Best Albums of 2017 so far ...

Union Jack

Come on Bears, help me out. I am looking for new stuff to listen to as I reckon there has been such a dearth of quality music to listen to in 2017.

To give you a hint as to what kind of music I like, my favourite album of the year so far is Everything Now by Arcade Fire.

So none of your wiggity wiggity wack rap music please.

nothing but thieves have a new album out on friday which im looking forward too and the amazons album is pretty good as well.

The new 'Jesus & Mary Chain' and 'Pixies' albums are very good. I struggle to find any new bands that are a bit different, Royal Blood are Foals (2016?) are worth a listen.

LCD's 'American Dream' is an electro masterpiece - and I don't say this with any whimsical notion for I know you're a serious guy.

Last edited:
The new future island album is class.

As is the new war on drugs album.

Ooooooh. I loved the Future Islands first album. That frontman is a total nutjob. I need to listen to that.

And The Lone Sniper, good call re: LCD Soundsystem. I'm glad he changed his mind re: calling it a day.

I feared the worst for Pop Voodoo by Black Grape, but apart from the first song/intro it's really good.

LCD's 'American Dream' is an electro masterpiece - and I don't say this with any whimsical notion for I now you're a serious guy.

Second this. Sounds really really great on the handful of spins that its had in my house so far.

Been tons of good ones this year - would add Kevin Morby - City Music, Peter Perret - How the West Was Won & Laura Marling - Semper Femina. Got the new national & war on drugs to still listen to as well.

However must say the new arcade fire one is among the worst I've heard this year.

The new LCD soundsystem album is worth a mention too. I forgot to add that to the list.

New national album should be out on Friday. Looking forward to that, judging by what I've heard from the pitchfork concert/glasto, it sounds superb.

I'm looking forward to the new Wolf Alice album at the end of this month. New stuff that they played when I seen them last month sounded really good. Seemed a bit heavier than their last album.

Have a listen to a band called Sheer Mag, really good, kind of old fashioned rock and roll. Fan the Flames is the best track.

Lead singer is an absolute boot right enough

I'm looking forward to the new Wolf Alice album at the end of this month. New stuff that they played when I seen them last month sounded really good. Seemed a bit heavier than their last album.

Going to see them in November so good to hear this.

Another shout for LCD Soundsystem, very impressed with it so far. Looking forward to The National & Alvvays releases on Friday.

Not a fan of the new Arcade Fire album thus far but hopefully it'll grow on me.

The new National album next week is the one I'm really looking forward too

Come on Bears, help me out. I am looking for new stuff to listen to as I reckon there has been such a dearth of quality music to listen to in 2017.

To give you a hint as to what kind of music I like, my favourite album of the year so far is Everything Now by Arcade Fire.

Neil Young,Hitchhiker.

For Crying Out Loud by Kasabian for me so much so I'm going to see them for the first time in November.

nothing but thieves have a new album out on friday which im looking forward too and the amazons album is pretty good as well.

Yeah I'm buzzing for the new album, loved their first and the stuff released off the new one so far sounds brilliant. My fave 5 albums of 2017 so far:

QOTSA - Villains
LCD Soundsystem - American Dream
Royal Blood - How Did We Get So Dark?
UNKLE - The Road Pt 1
Depeche Mode - Spirit

(ps bravo for your username and avatar! best band ever)

Didn't realise UNKLE were releasing new material. Will have a listen to that tonight.

Just noticed Keaton Henson features on it.

Just save yourself for october 6th when THE album of the year comes out!;)

I cant decide if Courtney Marie Andrews album "Honest Life" counts. It got it's UK release in early 2017 but I think it was released in America in late 2016.

Absolutely brilliant album through. As are:

The Big Moon - Love in the 4th Dimension
Colter Wall - Colter Wall
Dan Auerbach - Waiting On A Song
Holly Macve - Golden Eagle
Hurray For The Riff Raff - The Navigator
Jade Jackson - Gilded
Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit - The Nashville Sound
John Alexander - Of These Lands
John Moreland - Big Bad Luv
Julien Baker - Sprained Ankle
Justin Townes Earle - Kids In The Street
Nadia Reid - Preservation
This Is The Kit - Moonshire Freeze
Waxahatchee - Out In The Storm
Rachel Baiman - Shame

I'd also expect the new Jolie Holland and Sam Parton album to be good. And the Jessica Lea Mayfield album. There are a few more that I'd like to have got hold of but havent. This year has been pretty decent for music.

And by the end of the year I'll have gone to 24 gigs if I don't buy another ticket.

Still getting into the new Public Service Broadcasting - Every Valley (2017), thought The Race For Space was really good, have a listen to the single Spitfire from Inform Educate Entertain.

Villains by Queens of the Stone Age.

Wasn't sure when I heard Mark Ronson was producing but there isn't a bad track on it.

Not a fan of the new Arcade Fire album thus far but hopefully it'll grow on me.

The new National album next week is the one I'm really looking forward too

First Arcade Fire album I've not bought instantly. Thought the single sounded like a poor Abba.
Looking forward to the National and going to see them at Usher Hall later this month.

Others well worth listening to.

Painted Ruins - Grizzly Bear
A Deeper Understanding - War on Drugs
A Kind Revolution - Paul Weller
Crack Up - Fleet Foxes
Villains - QOTSA
I See You - XX

Back