Gica Popescu urges Hagi to stay at Rangers

Bonnyloyal

Former Barcelona captain Gica Popescu has revealed Rangers star Ianis Hagi has a transfer clause of up to £20 million, but has urged him to stay at Ibrox just now.

Popescu is the brother-in-law of Hagi's famous father Gheorghe and played with him at both Barcelona and Galatasaray.

The former Spurs star is now president of Romanian club Farul Constanta and he believes Hagi should forget about any possible move in this transfer window.

He said: "My advice for Ianis is to stay in Glasgow for two or three years and become a super important player for Rangers

"When I was a player, I lived in Eindhoven for four years when I was at PSV, then I went to Tottenham for a year and to Barcelona where I had a house for 27 years.

"So why does he have to hurry? At these big clubs, they get impatient at this time of year.

"Ianis needs to stay at Rangers where he is loved, he is appreciated and plays at a high enough level that gives him a chance of a really good move.

"I know Ianis has a clause in his contract. I don't know if it's for £15, £17 or £20 million, but there is a clause and it's a clause any club can pay at any time.

"If he stays at Rangers for another couple of years, the amount of money clubs will pay for him will get much higher and he will earn more too."

Hagi isn’t even worth half of £20m.
Not many players nowadays justify the fee paid. Not sure Harry McGuire represents value at £80m.

He’s just turned 23, played his part in winning a title, a full internationalist and despite playing largely out of position has contributed to many crucial goals and assists for us.

I think £20m is reasonable in todays market based on the above.

Like Patterson, Hagi is a talented player but we could afford to sell, if the price was right.

I’d much rather sell Hagi than Aribo, for example.

Hagi is a good player who’s been average this season, IMO. Really needs to improve his consistency and end product.

I think Hagi is a good player who will improve in the future especially under Gio as I think he rates him going by the amount of games/minutes he has given him since his arrival, saying that any offer in the region of 15m you would take without a second thought!

I like Hagi, he is capable of moments of brilliance and could never be accused of hiding, but at the same time his return this season has been exceptionally poor. If any of those three release values are correct, and a club came calling we'd be foolish not to deal imo.

Hagi has all the ability in the world, our lack of patience with him on this site is an embarrassment.
He’s had plenty of time to become consistent and adapt to the game here.
He has plenty of ability but failed in Belgium and hasn’t exactly been a success here.
10 million and I will gift wrap him for any team that wants him still got plenty of paper from Christmas :)

cracking young player who will only get better the more experience he gets

We'll make a healthy profit if and when he is sold on

Hagi only lacks pace and consistency, his football brain is sharper than most, he is 2 footed and can see a pass. I actually think a midfield role suits him better, but he has a shot in him too, all in all he has plenty in the bag and still room to improve and flourish. That said, I would take £15,£17,£20m for him no problem, because that’s the model Rangers have to work to, and I would like to see us complete the circle. I really like the guy as a player, but Rangers have to get this player trading up and running.

I think Hagi is one of these players who knows what he wants to do on the pitch. He has a great football brain.

BUT - the issue he has is that what his brain/head is wanting him to do, his body/feet are not always able to carry that out. He seems to get very frustrated at things not coming off. Happens regularly during games. I feel his frustration.

I've said before - the two players we wouldn't 'miss' are Patterson and Hagi. Right offers, then i'd sell both, without any real impact on the team.

Not many players nowadays justify the fee paid. Not sure Harry McGuire represents value at £80m.
There is an Agent lying on a sun-lounger somewhere in the south of France, smoking a big fat cigar and sipping a Glenfiddich special collection while laughing his f'n face off. :)

I think he is a very talented player and will only get better.

I'm not sure why everyone is desperate to quote what we should and shouldn't get. How about we just keep our best players and stop trying to move them on? Crazy idea, I know.

If a decent offer comes in, thank Hagi for his efforts and sell.

Too many relatives and uncles telling him what he needs to do for his career, let us stick to what’s best for Rangers. My own eyes show me he is too slow for our game and that his stats this year are awful.

I like Hagi. Nice intelligent guy.

But I wouldn't hesitate to sell him if the right offer came along.
I rate him as a player and see him as the most intelligent individual in the squad.
I think he is still finding how to best fit into the team at the moment due to the small changes in the system, but at his best he wins you football games.
If he had a turn of pace, he could play for any team in the world, but I think this one modern requirement will hold him back.
If he was to move on in this window, I am confident that the team wouldn't be damaged too much, similar as to how we could withstand the loss of young Nathan Patterson.

That said, this is no criticism of either player, both whom I admire greatly.

He seems to come in for a lot of criticism amongst our support. But I think Gio can take him to another level. Going by Ianis’s game time since Gio’s arrival it looks like Gio has faith in him.

I rate him as a player and see him as the most intelligent individual in the squad.
I think he is still finding how to best fit into the team at the moment due to the small changes in the system, but at his best he wins you football games.
If he had a turn of pace, he could play for any team in the world, but I think this one modern requirement will hold him back.
If he was to move on in this window, I am confident that the team wouldn't be damaged too much, similar as to how we could withstand the loss of young Nathan Patterson.

That said, this is no criticism of either player, both whom I admire greatly.
Agreed mate.

Hagi has a great football brain - but his body/feet just are not as quick as his brain - hence we see the lad on a regular basis showing massive signs of frustration on the pitch.

I've said the same - if there are a couple of players who we could afford to lose and who wouldn't really have much of a negative impact on the team, it's Patterson and Hagi. And we could really do with the money.

Over on the dark side if he was their player they would be arguing that Hagi was worth more than McGuire. Here we’re trying to outdo one another over how little he’s worth.

I like Hagi. Nice intelligent guy.

But I wouldn't hesitate to sell him if the right offer came along.
I don't want him to go but he is distantly the most expendable asset we have.

We would be lucky to get £10m at this moment - he is at the stage where he really needs to kick on IMO.

We all know the talent is there, the consistency isn't.

Back