Gica Popescu urges Hagi to stay at Rangers

When Hagi makes the move to Europe at some stage, his game will suit the pace over there. His experience gained with us can only help him along the way. He played in Italy too early in his career, and was all based on his name.

He’s a wonderful talent with a superb football brain. His legs don’t carry him in the same way of course, but he won’t need that if he’s playing in Italy or Spain in a couple of years.

This young man will make us a lot of money, especially if he impresses in European matches and wins another League title here.

"Randolph, those fuckers are trying to sell Hagi for £5m.....pair a pricks."

FearlessSpryArizonaalligatorlizard-size_restricted.gif

"That can't be right, Mortimer, Popescu & Follow Follow say he's worth £20M"
B-D

Why do some insist in talking down the value of our assets
Telling the truth you mean?

At this specific moment, he isn't worth half the figure quoted.

That doesn't mean he never will be.

You don't sign someone for £5m, they struggle to hold down a place long term then expect to get 4-5 times that 18 months later.

I'd say the people putting nonsensical values on our players that don't take into account form, interest from other clubs (or lack there of) or our own finances (or lack there of) are the ones doing the talking down.

The general valuation of just about every good player we've had in recent years has never been met by a bid....not even once.

There isn't a player in our squad who wouldn't be driven to the airport for £12m & people are demanding we pretend we can get double that?

I think the worst thing about Hagi is that his style of play suggests he's capable of much more - (if that makes sense ?)

There are occasions where he seems to be one step ahead of everyone else
There's times where it looks like he's trying to pull something off & it doesn't work due to either him or his teammates not having enough skill or ability to make it happen

So we're left hoping that a tweek to his playing position - here or there - or a better understanding with those around him & everything will fall into place

Whether any of that's true or not - there's a real lack of consistency in his play & he's not regularly contributing enough IMO

I'd love him to come good - & he's got a better chance of doing that right now with Gio at the helm
However - regrettably - getting a decent fee would probably make good business sense - without drastically weakening the team

He will be a huge player for us, especially if Aribo is sold. Direct competition would be needed in that 8/10 role, but he would supply continuity while we backfill.

Must be great having a famous footballing father.

I'd bite the hand off anyone offering £5m for the much over-rated and hugely disappointing Hagi.

So ineffective he wouldn't be missed at all.

Hagi has all the ability in the world, our lack of patience with him on this site is an embarrassment.
14 goals in 83 games over all competitions (that's including his loan spell with us). For someone that plays as part of a front 3 with the amount of possession and chances that a team like us creates, those are bang average figures in all honesty. He's certainly not done badly, but he's not set the heather alight either. To suggest that after close to a hundred games and 2 full years of football, that we aren't showing patience with him is a nuts statement. How long does a player get? 4 years, 6 years, get them back for a second spell in their 30s and see if they've improved any? Hagi has had plenty of time to prove himself. He's just not been as good overall as many of us expected, doesn't mean he's a bad player or doesn't have ability but theirs no point in sugar coating it.

14 goals in 83 games over all competitions (that's including his loan spell with us). For someone that plays as part of a front 3 with the amount of possession and chances that a team like us creates, those are bang average figures in all honesty. He's certainly not done badly, but he's not set the heather alight either. To suggest that after close to a hundred games and 2 full years of football, that we aren't showing patience with him is a nuts statement. How long does a player get? 4 years, 6 years, get them back for a second spell in their 30s and see if they've improved any? Hagi has had plenty of time to prove himself. He's just not been as good overall as many of us expected, doesn't mean he's a bad player or doesn't have ability but theirs no point in sugar coating it.
He’s 2 years younger than Ryan Kent, and at this age, Kent was just about starting to show numbers that looked decent.
Perish the thought that a player in his early 20s could have talent and not have fully unlocked his potential yet, we should probably just give up on him.

I think he is a very talented player and will only get better.

I'm not sure why everyone is desperate to quote what we should and shouldn't get. How about we just keep our best players and stop trying to move them on? Crazy idea, I know.
Because we'll need money to improve the squad and Hagi is someone we wouldn't miss as much as the likes of Kent or Aribo.

In other words....
Here is a transfer window approaching, no bids imminent so let's get something out there to try and stir up just a little interest.

I'm not a massive fan, he tries hard but far to slow in speed and reaction.

One of the players we need to replace and improve on.

He’s 2 years younger than Ryan Kent, and at this age, Kent was just about starting to show numbers that looked decent.
Perish the thought that a player in his early 20s could have talent and not have fully unlocked his potential yet, we should probably just give up on him.
Yeah, some players are late developers. Generally a players development doesn't come along with age so much as it does with game time and experience on the pitch. Jack Simpson is the same age as Ryan Kent and just a couple of years older than Hagi, he's played less senior games in his career than Hagi did last season alone. Surely by your logic then we stay patient and give him time to develop and see what player he can be with more game time? Or maybe he's just found his level.

Hagi hasn't noticeably improved in nearly two years and 100 games with us. He looked raw but a talent when he came in, now well down the line he still looks raw and seems to be making some of the same mistakes, only this season it's not backed up by any end product. If you can't see that then I can only assume that you're lacking objectivity, maybe Hagi is your favourite player or something which is fair enough. The sarcasm in the last paragraph of your response just seems like a desperate attempt at deflection from the points that I've made to be honest mate. Kent has made 231 senior club appearances in his career so far, Hagi has made 215. Kent has came on leaps and bounds, Hagi hasn't. Those are the facts I'm afraid.

As I said, Hagi obviously has talent and he has had the odd good spell of form, but we don't have places for passengers in this team and can't keep him around the place for 5 or 6 years hoping that things will click for him and he'll come good when his contribution for this season is looking to be 2 goals and if he's lucky the same in assists. If someone offers 10 million quid for Hagi we'd need sectioned to not accept it.

Yeah, some players are late developers. Generally a players development doesn't come along with age so much as it does with game time and experience on the pitch. Jack Simpson is the same age as Ryan Kent and just a couple of years older than Hagi, he's played less senior games in his career than Hagi did last season alone. Surely by your logic then we stay patient and give him time to develop and see what player he can be with more game time? Or maybe he's just found his level.

Hagi hasn't noticeably improved in nearly two years and 100 games with us. He looked raw but a talent when he came in, now well down the line he still looks raw and seems to be making some of the same mistakes, only this season it's not backed up by any end product. If you can't see that then I can only assume that you're lacking objectivity, maybe Hagi is your favourite player or something which is fair enough. The sarcasm in the last paragraph of your response just seems like a desperate attempt at deflection from the points that I've made to be honest mate. Kent has made 231 senior club appearances in his career so far, Hagi has made 215. Kent has came on leaps and bounds, Hagi hasn't. Those are the facts I'm afraid.

As I said, Hagi obviously has talent and he has had the odd good spell of form, but we don't have places for passengers in this team and can't keep him around the place for 5 or 6 years hoping that things will click for him and he'll come good when his contribution for this season is looking to be 2 goals and if he's lucky the same in assists. If someone offers 10 million quid for Hagi we'd need sectioned to not accept it.
Spot on post

£20m doesn’t seem very realistic for a players who has never held down a starting place long term, or performed consistently well in the SPL. I like Hagi, but he doesn’t do it often enough and I think anything around the £10m mark would be great business.

I like Hagi and I also tend to agree that a good offer for him should be accepted.

My little boy recently started his first club and comes along with me to the rangers games. Watching the warm up sessions for games I was always impressed with Hagis focus and commitment. As such, I said to my boy to watch him and take some of that away with him for himself.

So I find myself sort of conflicted, I like him a lot, I get the impression he loves it here and he can be a special player but he just doesn't work out on the wings he simply doesn't have the pace.

It a hard one

You have a good day

He will be a huge player for us, especially if Aribo is sold. Direct competition would be needed in that 8/10 role, but he would supply continuity while we backfill.
Thing is with Hagi Gerrard & Gio both obvious rate him with the game time he gets. So what do these coaches see that the doubters on here don't.

Thing is with Hagi Gerrard & Gio both obvious rate him with the game time he gets. So what do these coaches see that the doubters on here don't.
If he had the spark some on here expect, he would be worth a fortune. I think they are playing him to develop him.

A good, intelligent player, and it's extremely important and sensible to have good, intelligent players in our team.

Hagi has all the ability in the world, our lack of patience with him on this site is an embarrassment.
Agree with this, no guarantees he will get there but in my opinion we *could* be left with big regrets letting him go too early.

Would like to see him stick about another 2 or 3 seasons. Having said that every player obviously has their price so we could get an offer that beats his current value to the team

Remember reading lampards book and he said when he was younger he lacked natural pace and to combat it he would put the spikes on everyday and go for sprints on the tracks after training I wonder if professional athletes still do this type of training to get quicker over 10 yards

Hagi feels like a player who would flourish if he was part of a system where other players did all his running for him. Problem for him is that Aribo plays the same position, plays it better, and doesn't need the same support in terms of running. Also offers an aerial threat in both boxes.

I think hagi needs to find some consistency in his game. I thought he had a better season last season than he’s currently having this season.

You don't sign someone for £5m, they struggle to hold down a place long term then expect to get 4-5 times that 18 months later.

I'd say the people putting nonsensical values on our players that don't take into account form, interest from other clubs (or lack there of) or our own finances (or lack there of) are the ones doing the talking down.

The general valuation of just about every good player we've had in recent years has never been met by a bid....not even once.

There isn't a player in our squad who wouldn't be driven to the airport for £12m & people are demanding we pretend we can get double that?

Morelos... Lille.... say no more

I think Hagi is one of these players who knows what he wants to do on the pitch. He has a great football brain.

BUT - the issue he has is that what his brain/head is wanting him to do, his body/feet are not always able to carry that out. He seems to get very frustrated at things not coming off. Happens regularly during games. I feel his frustration.

I've said before - the two players we wouldn't 'miss' are Patterson and Hagi. Right offers, then i'd sell both, without any real impact on the team.
I don’t want to lose either of them, but given the choice between them or Aribo/Kamara, I know which ones I would sell.

Hagi simply has to be played centrally if we’re to get the best out of him.

Especially if Joe Aribo goes for big bucks, we’ll need Hagi to step up & fill the void.

I seen someone recently on here with a very good description of hagi, that his brain moves faster than his legs will let him. I think hagi currently is worth around the £5-8 million mark. Doesn’t mean to say he couldn’t be worth more but he’ll need to improve a hell of a lot more if we’re to get more money for him.

Back