Steven Gerrard’s sudden Rangers departure was for the best – Gio van Bronckhorst has lifted the whole club

BlueMeanie

• Kris Boyd

IN the weeks leading up to Steven Gerrard’s sudden departure, Rangers didn’t have their troubles to seek.
Something wasn’t quite right. I don’t know what it was, and I still can’t put my finger on it.

Some Rangers fans still haven't forgiven Steven Gerrard for swift exit
In Gerrard’s last seven league games in charge, Gers managed five wins and two draws. Yet they’d also gone six games without a clean sheet.
There were obvious underlying issues, but Gerrard left with his head held high.
Sure, people slated the timing of his exit — it still rankles with many fans — but it’s undoubtedly been for the best. Giovanni van Bronckhorst has lifted the place and Rangers are playing like champions once more.
Not bad on the back of a mid-season arrival, with his new team demoralised after a lamentable League Cup semi-final loss.
In his nine games in charge, Gers have recorded eight wins and a draw.
They’ve kept seven clean sheets while increasing their lead at the top of the Scottish Premiership.

Rangers are also safely through to the knockout stages of the Europa League to play Borussia Dortmund.
Domestically, Van Bronckhorst has won all seven league games, scoring 14 goals and conceding just one.
You can safely say he’s hit the ground running. Rangers are back to being the team we know they are.
The Dutchman has made subtle changes, little tweaks here and there, most notably in defence where both full-backs are not so advanced. They are defending as a solid unit, meaning Connor Goldson and Calvin Bassey haven’t been left one-on-one.
With the defence organised, Rangers have so many attacking options they are once more proving too good for the opposition.
One player who has had a big part to play in the Van Bronckhorst revolution is Alfredo Morelos.
I don’t think there’s any doubt the fact that both Van Bronckhorst and his assistant Roy Makaay speak Spanish has been massive.
Van Bronckhorst and Roy Makaay
Van Bronckhorst and Roy Makaay
They’ve been able to put their arm around Morelos and get a tune out of him again.
I’m not for a second suggesting that Gerrard Michael Beale and Gary McAllister failed to do that.
But you don’t need to have played at the highest level to see the Colombian is almost back to his best.
He’s fitter, he’s sharper and he looks like he’s got his hunger back.
All that disappeared for a while. He’d put on weight and wasn’t doing nearly enough for the team.
But he’s back scoring, and that’s down to Morelos. It’s also down to Van Bronckhorst and how he can communicate with his striker.
Morelos has got that loving feeling back and Rangers are reaping the rewards.
The whole team seems to be benefiting from a change of management.
Sometimes it just happens. Things reach a natural conclusion. From Gerrard’s point of view, he wouldn’t have been happy with how things were going. Little things were beginning to creep in and have an effect — like having to come from behind almost every week to win.
Travelling up and down the road isn’t ideal, either. I know, I did it. It takes its toll on your family life.

Listen, when everything settles down — and it will — people will recognise that Steven Gerrard did a brilliant job at Rangers.
He inherited a shambles, so he deserves enormous credit.
Fans are always angry when someone leaves their football club, but it’s usually because you’ve done a great job and they don’t want you to go.
People will point to his record of one trophy in three years, but these same people will never get over the fact it was the one trophy they craved the most.
Had Gerrard won three Scottish Cups and three League Cups, and Celtic had delivered ten-in-a-row, then plenty of Rangers fans would still be in hiding today.
Yet he secured the trophy every Rangers fan wanted — the one that crushed Celtic’s hopes of the ten.
Yet things had dropped off this season and the change came at the right time.
Van Bronckhorst has made a brilliant start but knows tougher challenges will follow.
He and Gerrard are two totally different characters. Van Bronckhorst is more calm and collected.

There is an emotional side to Gerrard, as he showed as a player.
He didn’t truly know the football club before he arrived. He left with an understanding and appreciation of just how big Rangers are.
Van Bronckhorst arrived back in Glasgow already well aware of what he was walking into. I think that has helped him, too.
It will be interesting to see what happens this month in terms of transfers. If one or two leave, then I’d expect one or two to arrive.
The club have been linked with John Souttar and Xavi Simons. Many other names are sure to follow in the coming weeks.
I think he has to be looking at another striker. You always want to enhance your attacking options and keep competition for places high.
It’s an area where I think Rangers could do some business. I think Van Bronckhorst will be keen to strengthen if he can.
His working relationship with Ross Wilson will be key in the coming days and weeks.

"In his nine games in charge, Gers have recorded eight wins and a draw.
They’ve kept seven clean sheets while increasing their lead at the top of the Scottish Premiership.

People will point to his record of one trophy in three years, but these same people will never get over the fact it was the one trophy they craved the most.
Had Gerrard won three Scottish Cups and three League Cups, and Celtic had delivered ten-in-a-row, then plenty of Rangers fans would still be in hiding today."

Happy New Year ya soap dodging bastards. :D:D

"In his nine games in charge, Gers have recorded eight wins and a draw.

Had Gerrard won three Scottish Cups and three League Cups, and Celtic had delivered ten-in-a-row, then plenty of Rangers fans would still be in hiding today."

Happy New Year ya soap dodging bastards. :D:D
I'd change that to unhappy new year !

Hindsight is great. But we had went stale. A reflection of our gaffer and team having gone stale and lost interest. Gio has reignited us, just in time.

Really decent article. Gerrard going through the motions allowed them to be within a couple of games of us. It was crystal from Malmö, in fact probably the second pre season game at Tranmere, that Gerrard had lost the hunger at us. I honestly think he would have left with much better wishes all round if he’d just said in the summer it was time to go

I think a lot of rewriting of history has taken part Tbh about Gerrards last few months as Rangers manager.

Gio is now the man but the lengths some people seem to want to go to diminish the man that stopped the 10 (we would be the only ones saying9.75) and delivered 55!is mystifying to me.

I think a lot of rewriting of history has taken part Tbh about Gerrards last few months as Rangers manager.

Gio is now the man but the lengths some people seem to want to go to diminish the man that stopped the 10 (we would be the only ones saying9.75) and delivered 55!is mystifying to me.
100% his achievement of getting 55 cannot logically be diminished. It’s revisionist history to not recognise the quantum leap he had to drag this club forward.

But it’s also fair to say that things were not 100% this season and that we have picked up performances since he’s left, under Gio.

So I’m not as anti-Gerard as I was the day he left, because with hindsight I believe it’s been best for both sides.

Gerrard gave us our Rangers back.

I've genuinely no idea why folk would want to belittle his achievements up here.

We were a laughing stock when he walked through the door, led by a kids coach who broke down in post match interviews and grassed his players to HR.

Most of the performances from the start of the season indicated that something needed to change. I didn’t think it would end up being something as drastic as changing manager, but now I’m glad it did. Very happy with the improvement under GVB.

Really decent article. Gerrard going through the motions allowed them to be within a couple of games of us. It was crystal from Malmö, in fact probably the second pre season game at Tranmere, that Gerrard had lost the hunger at us. I honestly think he would have left with much better wishes all round if he’d just said in the summer it was time to go
I agree with this he also brought players in with one eye on moving on knowing fine well another manager might not want them ( lundstrum, Bacuna ) if he had said I feel I've gone as far as I can here and I'm struggling being away from my family nobody is holding that against him. Instead he waited on the first opportunity and jumped ship as soon as it came dropped his standards which fed into the playing staff that cost us a few results which were easily avoidable. I'll be forever grateful what he's done he's gone we move on but he could of handled it better.

Away you go!

If he never wins another game as a manager what he did at us will go down in our history. Won the league from a position no Rangers manager has been in, in decades and made us a force in Europe again. Some fans need to man up about him leaving mid season
He won 1/9 trophies available to him and sneaked off like a thief in the night when he realised the job was too big for him.
A good manager would have won the treble last season.

He won 1/9 trophies available to him and sneaked off like a thief in the night when he realised the job was too big for him.
A good manager would have won the treble last season.
1/9 you sound exactly like a Tim. As I said in my response he took over at a stage no Rangers manager has had to make up and so far behind the Tims. To win the league in the time he did and make us a force again in Europe is nothing short of outstanding. Should he won a few cups? yes but the league was what he was brought in to win, he did that and I’m confident we will win it again this season. And this seasons win when it comes is because of what Gerrard build.

Plus if your gonna be like that about it, I will say what I do to annoy the tims I know, it’s 1/8 as we didn’t lose the league 2 years ago

Last edited:
He won the most important trophy in possibly our history but I’m not shedding any tears now he’s gone. Best for both parties.

Who's diminishing last season? That was brilliant. That was great but Rangers always will be but what you doing for us now? After Malmo he didn't want to really be here anymore imo.

1/9 you sound exactly like a Tim. As I said in my response he took over at a stage no Rangers manager has had to make up and so far behind the Tims. To win the league in the time he did and make us a force again in Europe is nothing short of outstanding. Should he won a few cups? yes but the league was what he was brought in to win, he did that and I’m confident we will win it again this season. And this seasons win when it comes is because of what Gerrard build.

Plus if your gonna be like that about it, I will say what I do to annoy the tims I know, it’s 1/8 as we didn’t lose the league 2 years ago
So Mr Angry waited until the Bells to take new (well known) member line
If you don’t like an opinion call it out.

You have a happy new year now new member.

In hindsight it certainly seems so. However, I had absolutely no idea Gerrard was so unhappy. I know our form pointed to something being wrong but I didn’t think for a minute it was the manager.

How wrong I was. Now we’re sitting with the man in charge who I had wanted appointed ahead of Gerrard in the first place.

Life is strange sometimes

Hopefully Gio won’t disappoint and will lead us all the way to 56 and better. He’s certainly got off to a flier!

I think now it’s fairly obvious there was a general malaise about the place.

Family issues, frustration with transfers/money, whatever it was he had checked out and the players were reflecting it.

He’s gone, good luck to him. He’ll always be a massive part of our history and I thank him for reinstating some of the standards and mentality of Rangers but we’ve lost better managers than Gerrard and survived and thrived, this will be no different.

So Mr Angry waited until the Bells to take new (well known) member line
If you don’t like an opinion call it out.

You have a happy new year now new member.
Haha we were all new members at some point and check my posts if you want, doesn’t distract from the facts I said in my posts. But since you have been a member longer then me then your right to spout crap that sounds like a spoiled brat. But charge on and be the “Mr Angry” as you like to say, cause a a guy left the club at a time you don’t agree with

Gio has been better than we could have hoped for and long may it continue.
Whatever some think about him StevieG achieved what we all craved and put the Tim’s back in their box along with a ton of “ 10 “ merchandise.
He owes us nothing.
Happy new year to every one of you.

"People will point to his record of one trophy in three years, but these same people will never get over the fact it was the one trophy they craved the most."

aye, i'm sure Kris said "people" when talking to the record.

Haha we were all new members at some point and check my posts if you want, doesn’t distract from the facts I said in my posts. But since you have been a member longer then me then your right to spout crap that sounds like a spoiled brat. But charge on and be the “Mr Angry” as you like to say, cause a a guy left the club at a time you don’t agree with
LOL.

Regardless of how long a guy has been a member, anyone who spouts Their '1 from 9' crap, and isn't massively grateful for SG stopping Their 10, has a whiff about them.

Back