MacAllister at Brighton

Scottish people were heavily involved in the establishment of football all over the world. As much as that might seem obvious, it's something that is sort of overlooked here. The 'father' of Brazilian football and I'm sure the person credited with having a lot to do with its introduction in Russia were both Scottish.

Scottish people were heavily involved in the establishment of football all over the world. As much as that might seem obvious, it's something that is sort of overlooked here. The 'father' of Brazilian football and I'm sure the person credited with having a lot to do with its introduction in Russia were both Scottish.
Yes not to go too off topic but always been interested in finding out more about the Rangers in Chile, founded by a Sctosman and use red and black as colours.

The name Rangers was chosen by a Scotsman, Juan Greenstret, who was one of the founding fathers of the Club on behalf of Mrs. Amalia Neale de Silva, the first benefactress of the club.

The origin of the chosen team colours, red and black, are unknown, though one of the possibilities was that some of the first players were also members of the Second Company of Firemen of Talca, whose shield was red and black. Another possible reason is the use of red and black in the socks of Rangers of Scotland (formed 1872) to represent the district colours of their local burgh of Govan. Fans of the Scottish club returned to using red and black scarves in 2012 to help raise funds for the club.

Loads of folks in Argentina from Scot’s stock due to Railway and Mining in the late 1800’s and early 1900’s.

Many teams in South America were formed because of ex pats from the UK being there

I’m sure in Argentina there is a big area that was predominantly people from Wales who settled there and they still talk Welsh to this day.

Is he already capped by Argentina?
I don't think we're at the point of calling people up based on their great, great grandparents but it's probably worth asking the question. I think Sebastian Coates was the most recent one that was relatively high profile that would've qualified through his Dad being Scottish. It might be worth checking a lot of the American players coming through at the minute to see if any of them can if the SFA or Steve Clarke are looking in.

Loads of folks in Argentina from Scot’s stock due to Railway and Mining in the late 1800’s and early 1900’s.

Many teams in South America were formed because of ex pats from the UK being there

I’m sure in Argentina there is a big area that was predominantly people from Wales who settled there and they still talk Welsh to this day.
I think for years people thought Gabriel Heinze was Patagonian Welsh for some reason.

Patagonia is the place you are thinking about

That’s fascinating. I once heard in a quiz that the largest concentration of Welsh people outside of Wales itself is in Argentina. I had no idea so many Scots settled there too and that we played such an integral role in the birth of Argentine football.

DrHnL3zUcAA0GJl.jpg

Can you guess which one is his da? B-D

At first I thought it was his slave name but now I've found out otherwise.
My wee Spanish team is Recreativo de Huelva and they are the oldest team in Spain. Also founded by a Scot called Dr McKay from Greenock who worked for the Rio Tinto Mining Company.

It is weird how he spells it with a space between the Mac and Allister. It makes it look like his middle name is Mac and surname is Allister.

They get about that clan! I'm sure there is / was a German politician of that name a few years ago.
There sure is. A leading German politician in Europe who is head of the EU foreign affairs committee. His dad was a serving British soldier in Berlin, his mum, German. I an sure he is one of us.

Back