The problem with Jack Simpson

It rarely changes with us Lundstram is in the same position.
I agree, some players take time, Barisic being the best example in recent times, even Kamara took time to bed in.

Now I’m not saying both would’ve been superstars but quite a lot have completely written them off. We’ll get a cash return on both, not bad for players signed on a free.

Makes you wonder who actually watched him and thought he was a good player. He’s miles off it.
Steven Gerrard.

He wasn’t top of our scouting list, but because the manager was a fan of his he was signed.

Of course, Gerrard won’t have the good grace to take him to Villa.

Can't believe nobody has uttered the words "Rangers Class" in the first 55 posts.

He's just not Rangers Class.

If you have to ask then you have no eye for a player, he is one of Gerrards poorest signings.

Normally you can tell there’s a player there, Barasic was a slow starter but we had already seen what he could do in the games against us.

We just need to accept he never was nor will he be good enough for us, he needs moved on.

You like to give people a chance yet straight away didn't think he had it to be a Rangers centre half. o_O
That is what every single player is up against here. It's a tough, tough school. Once a few declare their utter contempt for someone the ripples become a wave. Once that wave comes you had better be a fucking great swimmer.

The guy has had no chance. Won't be the last either. Probably the least patient support on the planet. Brilliant when you are adored, absolute nightmare if you are not. It takes a strong character to succeed. When you become the whipping boy you are up against it. Young Hagi is right on the cusp. Top of the league, winning almost every game yet some would rather pick holes and have a go at the players they don't like than enjoy life.

Just my opinion.

our playground can be very unforgiving and it’s best for Simpson much like Barker and Lundstrum to look towards plying their trade where they can enjoy playing under less pressure.

Straight away he looked far too small in height and frame to be a Rangers centre half. You like to give people a chance but he’s just not looked assured at all. He probably isn’t as bad as some of us make out he just needs to find a team where you don’t need broad shoulders and will probably do okay. He will go with my best wishes sometimes it just doesn’t work out
It's hard to make a decision given he has only made 11 appearances where he has been neither bad or brilliant but one thing about him at 6'3" he ain't small:)

He’s too weak and gets easily bullied by strong attackers.

He doesn’t win nearly enough headers.

Those two issues are absolutely fatal in Scotland.

On the plus side, he can pick a pass. Sometimes. Though even Bassey is better at this than Simpson is now.

He’s got absolutely nothing going for him and nine games is more than enough to realise that. He was signed because Gerrard really pushed for him
He also panics a lot. He seems to want to handle the ball a lot as well. His passing is decent if he has time but if he doesn't, he panics and hits it anywhere. I don't think he'd be remotely good enough if he played 100 games for us. Maybe the people defending him are seeing something I'm not but he just looks way out of his depth

Im still confuses why we dont recall katic. He might not be world class but hes better than simpson and hes already our player. It would make sense to get use of katic till th end of the season.

The previous management and coaching team and now Gio and his coaching team appear not to rate him let alone anything else.

They will know exactly what the problem with him is.

Says it all really for me.

Best thing for him is to move on , given he has gotten nowhere near the team despite our numerous CH crisis over the last year and that two managers clearly don’t appear to have seen him as good enough.

Im still confuses why we dont recall katic. He might not be world class but hes better than simpson and hes already our player. It would make sense to get use of katic till th end of the season.
Katic isn’t going to make it with us.

In two years time, we’ll likely have Bassey & 3 new faces (Sands being one of them) making up our CB options.

Because we have always been a fan base who like to slate our own players. Young kids are given about 3 appearances as a sub before they are written off, squad players have no chance.

Stop talking pish, I watch us every week. Like I said, not great but nowhere near as bad as made out.
he is rotten, our young 2nd choice LB has been picked ahead of him by not 1 but now 2 managers.

He isnt strong, he is poor in the air, poor at one v ones, not vocal enough. He has decent passing and thats about it. he offers us nothing and we prefer playing guys out of position ahead of him.

You must be mad or blind to think he has what it takes to play for us. He has managed what 20 odd games in 7 years ?!

The worig thing is that you think he has done fine when he has played. He has looked very poor as 99% of people on here agree with.

He gets stick cos he is not good enogh, welcome to rangers. You will find it the best club to play for if your good enough, if you aint good enough then you better learn to toughen up

Last edited:
Nonsense, if it was he would be starting in front of a LB every week.
Not defending Simpson but Bassey's build is more a cb than lb he played at youth ranks as cb mainly his age just now was getting him by at lb as he got older he would struggle

I think bassey we could have won a watch with longer term

Not really, just so happens that Bassey is better and also started out at centre half.

Listen I'm not saying he's top class but people have to realise you need guys like Simpson in a squad game.
If I'm reading some other posts correctly, and if their information is right, Rangers are unbeaten in 5 games out of 9 with him playing. That's 4 defeats. That's very poor. That being the case, why do you need guys like Simpson in the squad? Is it to guarantee a near 50% defeat rate?

He's played less than 10 matches for a reason - not good enough, he can't get even get a game while Balogun and Helander are out injured, that tells a story itself.

He seems incredible nervous to me everytime he gets the ball and looks like he is about to make a mistake. He needs to get loaned out to rebuild or try and build his confidence, send him down a division. We won't get any money from him by selling and I doubt he is on that much money. Loan him to a Scottish championship club until end of season then make a decision

I'm generally not one for writing players off but I'd have to go with the majority where Simpson is concerned. That's nearly a year he's been here now. Less than 10 appearances under two different managers says it all sadly. He won't be looking great in training to being overlooked every week.

His performance in the 1-1 game v Motherwell at Ibrox still sticks in my throat.

Peoples minds have been made up, it won’t change, personally he done ok last season but looked nervous this year, he hasn’t hit the ground running at all.
For people, see Steven Gerrard and Giovanni van Bronckhorst.

2 managers who see him train almost daily don’t trust him enough for anything more than a cameo.

He’s shite, and his career game time backs this up.

24yo, 2605 minutes in first team games in his puff when we signed him (equivalent of 28 games), and we decide to sign him on a 4 year deal.

The fact Bassey is playing at Centre Half tells you all you need to know about Simpson.
Does it though? Or does 6 clean sheets or so with Bassey in the team maybe tell you more about Bassey?

If we were persisting with a system that wasn't working, I'd be in total agreement with you. How can Simpson not get in the team when Bassey is a complete liability?!?

As it is, Bassey had a chance, and has barely put a foot wrong. If it ain't broke don't fix it, and that's why Simpson is on the bench not the 11. We can be negative, or we can be positive. I choose to be positive. I choose to acknowledge Bassey's greatness, whilst others would rather put down a player who simply can't get into the team (and considering he was signed for buttons, that's no great surprise!)

Lad seems to get a lot of stick but I can't fathom why.

Sure he's nowhere near our other centre halves but he's done fine when he's had to come in since signing last Jan.

He's played less than 10 games. You'd think he was Shane Duffy with some of the comments.
it's "fifa and fm playing" experts mate.

46 career appearances and is 26 this December.

Stealing a career.
That was highlighted when he joined how anyone could think he would be a success is beyond me same goes for our previous management team who filled our squad with these types of players repeatedly over there tenure.

For people, see Steven Gerrard and Giovanni van Bronckhorst.

2 managers who see him train almost daily don’t trust him enough for anything more than a cameo.

He’s shite, and his career game time backs this up.

24yo, 2605 minutes in first team games in his puff when we signed him (equivalent of 28 games), and we decide to sign him on a 4 year deal.

"Don't trust him enough".

Is Mclaughlin not trusted? Is Patterson not trusted? Sometimes a player can be good, but when the player in front of him is just simply better, or in great form, there's not much that they can do. Sometimes it's not a slight on the player on the bench, but a compliment to the man on the pitch.

I'm not saying Simpson is great. I'm not saying Gio will keep him. But it has to be said there is very little evidence to either support or reject those statements. Whilst he has made mistakes, he's also been part of clean sheets.

As signings go he's been very "Meh", but then again so was his fee, and how groundbreaking an impact can we really expect from a relatively young, cheap centre back coming in as 4/5th choice?

Anyone footballer who has only played about 50 career games by the age of 25 clearly has some issues. He was never going to cut it here and giving him a four and a half year contract is one of the most bizarre signings of the Gerrard era.

The problem with Simpson is he is not a good defender. He also can't deal with the physical nature of the game up here.

A loan move to get him game time, and then sell him in the summer is best for all parties.

Everyone basically saying the same thing. Shame, but he’s just not very good.
I've also seen folk say that he'd ever be a premiership defender in a million years... Whilst ignoring his multiple appearances at that level he had already achieved.

Sometimes we must remember, folk talk b*llocks...

I agree he's no where near good enough, but the thing he isn't is far too small in height. He's 6 foot 3 haha.

He's nowhere near 6'3", he's about 5'10".

* a quick Internet search has him somewhere between 1.78m (5'10") and 1.92m (6'3"), so take your pick.
In other words, no one has a clue what height he is, although he definitely seems much smaller in stature than the likes of Goldson and Balogun.

Lad seems to get a lot of stick but I can't fathom why.

Sure he's nowhere near our other centre halves but he's done fine when he's had to come in since signing last Jan.

He's played less than 10 games. You'd think he was Shane Duffy with some of the comments.
He is 25 years old and has made a grand total of 46 professional appearances in his career.

he is garbage.

Probably will become a decent defender in time.
He just looked a bag of nerves when he got his chance under Gerrard. The old saying, the jersey is to big, comes to mind with JS.
I hope his career kicks on with a new club.

Give some examples of how bad he is based on 9 games given 5 of those we'd have been unbeaten?
I think the fact neither the previous, nor the current manager, appear to rate him is more of a yardstick than any criticism he gets from the fans. Kinda begs the question why we signed him of course. I agree he's not had any massive howlers, but he does not look in any way commanding, or exude confidence and that potentially has a knock on effect on those around him. You say he's only had 9 games, but if he can't get a game when we're 2 centre backs down and playing a relative rookie out of position front of him, you have to think it's time to move on.

Really strange that we pursued this boy, nowhere near good enough. He only played about 20 times for Bournemouth ffs

"Don't trust him enough".

Is Mclaughlin not trusted? Is Patterson not trusted? Sometimes a player can be good, but when the player in front of him is just simply better, or in great form, there's not much that they can do. Sometimes it's not a slight on the player on the bench, but a compliment to the man on the pitch.

I'm not saying Simpson is great. I'm not saying Gio will keep him. But it has to be said there is very little evidence to either support or reject those statements. Whilst he has made mistakes, he's also been part of clean sheets.

As signings go he's been very "Meh", but then again so was his fee, and how groundbreaking an impact can we really expect from a relatively young, cheap centre back coming in as 4/5th choice?
Goalkeeper position is very different, you don’t chop and change that position. Patterson is a 20yo player coming from the youth setup, who has already managed to play 854 minutes for Rangers 1st team than Simpson has in roughly the same amount of time, despite his age and playing second fiddle to the captain who is never injured.

At Simpson’s age and his game time, there is something seriously wrong. He is a St Mirren level defender at best. One that we still have on the books for another 2.5 years with absolutely no signs of him being anywhere near good enough to get a game.

Goalkeeper position is very different, you don’t chop and change that position. Patterson is a 20yo player coming from the youth setup, who has already managed to play 854 minutes for Rangers 1st team than Simpson has in roughly the same amount of time, despite his age and playing second fiddle to the captain who is never injured.

At Simpson’s age and his game time, there is something seriously wrong. He is a St Mirren level defender at best. One that we still have on the books for another 2.5 years with absolutely no signs of him being anywhere near good enough to get a game.

And yet: reaction on here if we randomly dropped Goldson for Simpson in any league game would tell you that we can't just chop and change centre backs either really.

Patterson largely got that game time when Tav was injured and there was little to no alternatives. Yes Helander was injured, but Balogun (an experienced international was understandably chosen to fill in). Yes Balogun got injured (and slightly eye raising Bassey was chosen to cover over Simpson, but this decision has been FULLY justified if we are all honest).

No-one believes he's a starter for us. Know one is saying he's been an incredible acquisition. No-ones even saying they would mind if he left. But let's stop sagging our own when they have barely has an opportunity. He's a young centre back with a good pedigree, EPL experience and was part of our record breaking defence last year. Let's talk up this ASSET, cause if we don't know one else will.

If you want rid of him, stop throwing shade and make a YouTube video of all his best momments in the hope some team want to splash a couple million quid on him! Cause on paper, he doesn't actually read that bad!

He's nowhere near 6'3", he's about 5'10".

* a quick Internet search has him somewhere between 1.78m (5'10") and 1.92m (6'3"), so take your pick.
In other words, no one has a clue what height he is, although he definitely seems much smaller in stature than the likes of Goldson and Balogun.

Gerrard is 6'1"
0_JS227770222.jpg

Straight away he looked far too small in height and frame to be a Rangers centre half. You like to give people a chance but he’s just not looked assured at all. He probably isn’t as bad as some of us make out he just needs to find a team where you don’t need broad shoulders and will probably do okay. He will go with my best wishes sometimes it just doesn’t work out
He is 6ft3 so he is tall enough, I’m not saying he would be good enough but he has never had a run in the team to really settle in so none of us really know if he is or he isn’t other than the man who signed him never had to play him due to our defence being rock solid last season

The saying the shirt is to heavy for him is very relevant in this case.

His amount of first team games at his age should have set alarm bells ringing.

And yet: reaction on here if we randomly dropped Goldson for Simpson in any league game would tell you that we can't just chop and change centre backs either really.

Patterson largely got that game time when Tav was injured and there was little to no alternatives. Yes Helander was injured, but Balogun (an experienced international was understandably chosen to fill in). Yes Balogun got injured (and slightly eye raising Bassey was chosen to cover over Simpson, but this decision has been FULLY justified if we are all honest).

No-one believes he's a starter for us. Know one is saying he's been an incredible acquisition. No-ones even saying they would mind if he left. But let's stop sagging our own when they have barely has an opportunity. He's a young centre back with a good pedigree, EPL experience and was part of our record breaking defence last year. Let's talk up this ASSET, cause if we don't know one else will.

If you want rid of him, stop throwing shade and make a YouTube video of all his best momments in the hope some team want to splash a couple million quid on him! Cause on paper, he doesn't actually read that bad!
What’s this good pedigree you speak of? Also, playing in the EPL is not a sign of talent, especially at a team like Bournemouth. He has less than 8 full games EPL under his belt. There are worse players than him that have more.

Nobody is going to splash a couple of million on him, YouTube video or not. His current and previous manager don’t think he’s good enough. The current manager is essentially rating him as the 5th best CB in the first team squad. There’s no guarantee that if Bassey was injured he would start ahead of a B Team player though. That’s the brutal truth of the situation.

Back