The problem with Jack Simpson

Hes

he’s played less than 10 games nails it
Played less than 10 games because others took their chance and cemented their place in the queue! But for injuries we would not have seen enough of Bassey and he would not have been able to show what he has shown! I wonder how many players we have written off for judging too early until they have had a proper run of games? Happens a lot on here!

He's nowhere near 6'3", he's about 5'10".

* a quick Internet search has him somewhere between 1.78m (5'10") and 1.92m (6'3"), so take your pick.
In other words, no one has a clue what height he is, although he definitely seems much smaller in stature than the likes of Goldson and Balogun.
He's 6'3", but I understand that when he's up challenging for a header he appears for be no taller than 5'2"

I think Simpson struggles with the physical nature of Scottish football and hasn’t been able to adjust to it

Also the expectation at Rangers puts extra pressure on players and. Don’t think he looks comfortable

I’m sure we can negotiate a fee and wish him well but we won’t let him go until we have a replacement confirmed

If I'm reading some other posts correctly, and if their information is right, Rangers are unbeaten in 5 games out of 9 with him playing. That's 4 defeats. That's very poor. That being the case, why do you need guys like Simpson in the squad? Is it to guarantee a near 50% defeat rate?

What posts are you reading ? i don’t know how long you have been on here but surely by now you would have realised this place is full of clowns and folk who blatantly lie to try make them out as an authority, problem is the sheep who perpetuate their nonsense.

We haven’t lost a game that Simpson has started the only defeat he played in was the Slavia game when he came on as they scored from the free kick Balogun was sent off for to make it 0-2. He also came on in the game we lost in penalties to St Johnstone. So all in he has played in about 20 mins of us losing. Probably conceded around 5 goals in the 9 games when he has been on the park.

Lets not forget Gerrard spoke to Defoe before we signed him. One of the best attackers England has produced played with and was up against him in training every day for 3 years. I think he knows a bit about defending.

As usual FF experts write players off after a handful of starts, I could go on all day listing players that didnt set the heather on fire right away.

In the last year we have had threads on here saying Bassey wasn’t good enough, Balogun wasnt good enough, a game later they were all of a sudden the best defenders we had !

Surprised really he hasn't been given a chance under Gio but he obviously is not cutting it. Gio opted to play a back 3 and change it after two minutes to put Patterson at left back and keep Bassey at CB rather than play him.

What posts are you reading ? i don’t know how long you have been on here but surely by now you would have realised this place is full of clowns and folk who blatantly lie to try make them out as an authority, problem is the sheep who perpetuate their nonsense.

We haven’t lost a game that Simpson has started the only defeat he played in was the Slavia game when he came on as they scored from the free kick Balogun was sent off for to make it 0-2. He also came on in the game we lost in penalties to St Johnstone. So all in he has played in about 20 mins of us losing. Probably conceded around 5 goals in the 9 games when he has been on the park.

Lets not forget Gerrard spoke to Defoe before we signed him. One of the best attackers England has produced played with and was up against him in training every day for 3 years. I think he knows a bit about defending.

As usual FF experts write players off after a handful of starts, I could go on all day listing players that didnt set the heather on fire right away.

In the last year we have had threads on here saying Bassey wasn’t good enough, Balogun wasnt good enough, a game later they were all of a sudden the best defenders we had !

Did you not previously claim Dalcio was a player and that Caixinha just needed more time?

Bit rich throwing words like "clowns" around if so.

He is 6ft3 so he is tall enough, I’m not saying he would be good enough but he has never had a run in the team to really settle in so none of us really know if he is or he isn’t other than the man who signed him never had to play him due to our defence being rock solid last season
This is spot on but for whatever reason on here some players are being prematurely judged?

I mentioned at the time that a mate of mines son plays for Bournemouth and he was surprised we'd gone for him. He rated the boy that went to Kilmarnock (Rossi) more.

Did you not previously claim Dalcio was a player and that Caixinha just needed more time?

Bit rich throwing words like "clowns" around if so.

no you are the guy that can’t let go, its been a while since you shoehorned Caixinha in to a thread.

surprised you can remember him since you can’t remember December was only last week.

He’s just part of a process of the transfer game TBH, would always expect us to take punts on players now and the who might hit and win big like him and Hastie, or they might not.

We will likely still make a decent fee for Simpson when he moves back to the English market, clubs down there still seem to like him as he has been well coached as a player

In the grand scheme of things he’s really not that great a problem
He is a problem when he’s taking the place of someone who could do a job when needed.

I’m sorry OP but you are wrong he’s not good enough for Rangers.

Did you think we should’ve binned Morelos and signed Jason Cummings too?

When I heard he was a 6ft4 left sided ball-playing centre half, I thought he must be absolutely shite at everything else if he can't get a game for Bournemouth in the championship

He hasn't done much to change my mind

Surprised really he hasn't been given a chance under Gio but he obviously is not cutting it. Gio opted to play a back 3 and change it after two minutes to put Patterson at left back and keep Bassey at CB rather than play him.

It wasn't a back 3. It was a 4, with Bassey at LB, Patterson at RB and Goldson and Tav in middle. He changed it to Bassey and Goldson with Patterson LB and Tav RB.

If anything, that's even more damning. He would rather start a game with Tavernier as 1 of the 2 centrebacks than play Simpson.

He's rank rotten, he has a mistake in him every time he plays.
As another poster said, a Warburton signing all day long.

As others have said, he lacks physicality and I don’t think his anticipation and positional sense are great either. Not sure why we thought it was a good idea to give him a 3 & a half year contract. Probably best for everyone that he moves on and gets more games.

I hate talking down our players but there are some worrying perspectives on his abilities in this thread.

Simpson has looked terrified every time he has set foot on the pitch for us. He can't hold a line with the rest of the defense and doesn't look like he even knows where to look for reference. He is late to close on his man and then backs off and lets them turn if they get hold of the ball.

He also seems to have the Svensson talent to jump down the way.

I hope we move him on in January. I also hope he does well wherever he goes. No harm to him, I just don't think he has what we need.

He’s poor , people got carried away the Celtic 4v1 game and started to see things that weren’t there coz we towed them , he was brutal that day anaw

Last edited:

We've hardly lost a game full stop. How many has Simpson started?

As usual ridiculous stats being used to back up a rubbish opinion.

Anyone who has watched Simpson when he has played (starting or otherwise) knows he is not good enough. There are no stats required.

Lad seems to get a lot of stick but I can't fathom why.

Sure he's nowhere near our other centre halves but he's done fine when he's had to come in since signing last Jan.

He's played less than 10 games. You'd think he was Shane Duffy with some of the comments.
he is nowhere as bad as made out but the Bears love a scapegoat and Simpsons biggest issue wasnt ability it was that he isnt Katic.

Does it though? Or does 6 clean sheets or so with Bassey in the team maybe tell you more about Bassey?

If we were persisting with a system that wasn't working, I'd be in total agreement with you. How can Simpson not get in the team when Bassey is a complete liability?!?

As it is, Bassey had a chance, and has barely put a foot wrong. If it ain't broke don't fix it, and that's why Simpson is on the bench not the 11. We can be negative, or we can be positive. I choose to be positive. I choose to acknowledge Bassey's greatness, whilst others would rather put down a player who simply can't get into the team (and considering he was signed for buttons, that's no great surprise!)
People forget that Bassey was getting the 'never a centre half' , 'cannae heid the baw' 'liability' pish before he had played himself into the team. The lad has done brilliantly but it hasn't been easy for him.

Kept thinking there must be something there as Beale has been after him from pretty much the day he arrived.

Sure he's nowhere near our other centre halves but he's done fine when he's had to come in since signing last Jan.

He's played less than 10 games. You'd think he was Shane Duffy with some of the comments.
His main problem appears to be that he is total sh!t

If he was a decent player then he'd have played far more professional games by now. For any club..

He's played something less than 100 professional games and he's in his mid 20s. Thats a massive problem.
He’s 25 years old and played 46 first team games in his whole career. Says it all.

He obviously isn’t doing anything in training to suggest he should start.

Bassey is deservedly ahead of him, he had a mare in Prague but has done well since

Gerrard is 6'1"
0_JS227770222.jpg

He definitely looks about 6'3" unless he is wearing platform shoes.

He's not physical enough for the Scottish game, that simple imo. You just know if you're a big physical hammer thrower of a centre forward you're going after him with some rough challenges.

The fact he's played at a handful of games at his age is also a worry and younger players should look at that. It's better to be playing first team professional football than playing academy/reserve stuff.

So you’d be up for keeping him then aye? Is that what you’re saying? Can’t have you writing him off
I’m just answering the OP’s question. But yes, I am fine with keeping him atm. Given all of the injuries we have had, and the potential of Covid disruption I wouldn’t be getting rid.

Does it though? Or does 6 clean sheets or so with Bassey in the team maybe tell you more about Bassey?

If we were persisting with a system that wasn't working, I'd be in total agreement with you. How can Simpson not get in the team when Bassey is a complete liability?!?

As it is, Bassey had a chance, and has barely put a foot wrong. If it ain't broke don't fix it, and that's why Simpson is on the bench not the 11. We can be negative, or we can be positive. I choose to be positive. I choose to acknowledge Bassey's greatness, whilst others would rather put down a player who simply can't get into the team (and considering he was signed for buttons, that's no great surprise!)
Borna was out recently ,ideal time to play Simpson one would assume?
Did it happen?
No.
We shoehorned Young Paterson to play on the left, purely because we couldn't risk Bassey moving from Centre half to his natural position which would have assured a start for Simpson.

That ,more than anything, tells you exactly where Simpson stands at Rangers.

Stop talking pish, I watch us every week. Like I said, not great but nowhere near as bad as made out.
We all have different opinions mate.
I thought he was rotten.
Sure he can play the role of a centre half....the bit where you pass the ball to the other centre half or your full back but the meat and drink part....he was gash.

I did say I didn't know if the posts I read were accurate. That said there is a pattern with Simpson. Wherever he goes he barely plays. I am guessing that he barely plays anywhere because, as I don't want to write him off, that he is too good to be in any of the team's he signs for as due to sporting integrity the opposition don't deserve to play against him. Let's just screw that and play Simpson every week so that those who are getting right behind him can cheer him on all the way after every sloppy pass, every non tackle, every silly free kick and penalty conceded. Not to mention every soft Motherwellesque goal lost. While we are at it let's get Worral back and just go hell for leather at it. The guy unfortunately isnt up to it and needs moved on.

I think Simpson struggles with the physical nature of Scottish football and hasn’t been able to adjust to it

Also the expectation at Rangers puts extra pressure on players and. Don’t think he looks comfortable

I’m sure we can negotiate a fee and wish him well but we won’t let him go until we have a replacement confirmed
A CB who struggles with the physical nature of Scottish Football.
That's as much use as a duck who struggles with water.

simply just not good enough but i for one won't slag the lad off. you get an offer to sign for the Rangers ,you do it .Best of luck wherever or whenever he goes but no future with us i'm afraid

You really do wonder if some people watch the same matches sometimes. The guy gets worse every time he plays.

It seems pretty clear to me that Simpson was only ever intended as fourth choice centre back cover when we’d more or less already decided to punt Edmundson following his Covid transgressions.

That he’s not set the heather on fire probably shouldn’t be as much of a grievance for some as it appears to be.

He was a free transfer for starters. It hasn’t really worked out. It happens sometimes.

I hate to slag rangers players but I think it best of Simpson moves on, for both club and player, this window. The fact that an inexperienced second choice LB has been regularly picked before him by two managers says all there is to be said.

If you watch the highlights of the 4-1 game v them from last year he’s badly at fault for their goal and almost all of their goalscoring opportunities are as a result of poor play by him.

I don't mean to slag the guy off but I disagree that he's done fine. He frightens the shite out of me when he plays, doesn't look very stable. That said, he's not exactly had a long run in the team. Doesn't look like he has a future for us though. Was a low risk signing that probably won't pay off, but no harm done. Wish him well wherever he ends up after us.

Back