Goldson "wanted" by Nottingham Forrest and West Brom

I'm sure Gio said in a press conference that no contract offer has been made to Goldson and that his agent and Ross Wilson were in talks.

I think it's a waiting game, if we win the league he will sign a contract and stay for another year to play in the Champions League then we'll sell him, if not he'll go at the end of this season and pocket a hefty signing on fee.

I'm sure Gio said in a press conference that no contract offer has been made to Goldson and that his agent and Ross Wilson were in talks.

I think it's a waiting game, if we win the league he will sign a contract and stay for another year to play in the Champions League then we'll sell him, if not he'll go at the end of this season and pocket a hefty signing on fee.
If we win the league we’ve an outside chance of keeping him but I feel like he’ll only agree to sign a one year deal so he’s in the same position next year. Hope I’m wrong. Even if we could get him to sign with a fair release clause then I would take that.

Do people honestly think these English boys care more about playing in the champions league than playing in the premiership for 60k a week
No but I think they believe playing in the Champions League will open more doors in the top end of the Premiership and allow them to command a higher fee.

I would fucking love Goldson to finish his career with us. He is an incredible defender. Whatever happens I don't blame him. The back of my mind wonders if he has signed a pre contract, with the agreement being not to make it public. But that probably me talking mince. He's such a professional.

His agent knows what we can offer from contract talks and now he’s waiting to see what offers he can get down south.
He also has a house being built in England.

I think he's probably got a club lined up and out of respect it will be kept quiet till the season ends,i still have this feeling he'll end up at Villa.

Was reading a report about John Souttar earlier and popped into my head that Goldson hasn’t officially signed a pre-contract with anyone else yet - do we think Rangers are negotiating with him about a new deal and he’s wanting to stay? I personally wanted him punted after the Hibs game but he seems to have found his form again under Gio.
Doesn’t do anyone any good to tell anyone if he has which I suspect is highly possible.

As long as he keeps playing the way he has been he can run down his contract.

I would be quite happy if he stays with us and wins the league then moves on in the summer.
I think we still need to bring in a few more defenders alongside Soutar as Helander and Barisic will be away if the right offers come in.

I just can’t see him staying. It’s not often a player of his age let’s his contract run out then stays. If he helps to win us the league he will leave a hero. It’s his choice and he won’t be the last to do it. We have benefitted from it over the years. I’m just glad his form has improved under Gio.

Goldson has our contract to consider- he or more importantly his agent is holding off until he sees what offers comes in from other clubs - with less than 9 days of this window left it looks like there is only going to be 2 options left - sign the contract Rangers have offered or let his current deal run down in the hope some other club comes in for him as a free agin the summer.
As it stands Goldson has a big decision to make in February after the current window closes if no other club shows an interest in signing him
He can sign a pre-contract at any point in the last six months of his contract the transfer window is irrelevant. He could have already signed a pre-contract and agreed with the signing club not to announce it, unlikely but possible.
Whatever he does and wherever he goes I wish him well and I am 100% confident that he will do everything to help us when the double. He is just a guy who gives 100%, also he realises that when does go down south he isn't going to be winning any medals this season is his last taste of glory.

Three and a half years at Rangers, 120 league appearances, 193 total appearances, 17 goals

League winner

I’ve been vocal against both sides about this contract thing being dragged out, but one thing I noticed the other night during the Stirling game that made me think he'd be worth a bump in wages.
After young Lowry had scored and all the players congratulated and celebrated with him, Goldson put his arm around the boy and had a word in his ear. I think sometimes small things like on field and off field leadership from players can be missed in the contract debate.
My neighbour is the assistant at Stirling Albion.
Goldson, Tav and Bacuna waited in the tunnel till they had came back off from seeing their fans and wished the Albion players all the best for the rest of the season.

There’s absolutely no way Goldson is waiting until we see if we’re in the champions league or not.

It’s been mentioned about earning a living, length of contract, financial security, short career, looking after his family etc.

As it stands - Goldson doesn’t have a wage coming in to his account after the summer. At any time on the training field or in a game, he could get a career threatening injury - which would likely stop any offers coming in his direction.

Players want longevity in terms of contract length but also desperate to sign a new contract asap (with us or another) when their current deal is expiring to provide as much financial security as they are used to.

I think it would be beneficial to both parties if he signed even a 1 year extension

We would know we have a CB who will be available for 99% of matches, especially as we have no idea how Helander will recover and concerns about Souttars ability to play every game, and if he plays CL football, he may get the move to the level in England he wants

I'm desperate for someone itk to see it's a possibility!

I think he's going to be very difficult to replace. I dont think we understand just how much he brings to the team in terms of leadership and organisation.

I think it would be beneficial to both parties if he signed even a 1 year extension

We would know we have a CB who will be available for 99% of matches, especially as we have no idea how Helander will recover and concerns about Souttars ability to play every game, and if he plays CL football, he may get the move to the level in England he wants
A one year extension is absolutely not beneficial for him, he'll be wanting a gold plated 3-4 year deal.

A one year extension is absolutely not beneficial for him, he'll be wanting a gold plated 3-4 year deal.
It would still allow him to get that at then end of next season, and he can bargain with teams that he has CL experience. He could easily get a championship or relegation fodder club to pay him more than we are, I think it’s clear that he sees himself playing a certain level of football in the EPL, but no one at that level is interested

Unless he has signed a pre contract with someone and keeping it hushed to avoid any backlash

Was reading a report about John Souttar earlier and popped into my head that Goldson hasn’t officially signed a pre-contract with anyone else yet - do we think Rangers are negotiating with him about a new deal and he’s wanting to stay? I personally wanted him punted after the Hibs game but he seems to have found his form again under Gio.

Maybe he’s signed with someone & is keeping it quiet just now to focus on Rangers, to stop the fans turning against him.

His levels last 2 years have been outstanding. He’s brilliant. When he had his dip people have short memories of our greats and their own dips.

It’s not just about money here. His mrs wants back down south I’m told by someone who knows them both. I wish him all the best when he leaves.

The longer it goes without a pre-contract being signed the more encouraged I am. It looks to me as if he has had a look to see the options and there may be nothing better than what we are offering.

A guy who has a history of heart problems etc can’t afford to wait too much longer so I’d expect it to be done one way or another in the next month or so. If a situation was to arise meaning he was out for a year or so then he is taking a bit of a risk the longer he leaves it.

Last edited:
I doubt that very much, however, it may well be that the interest isn’t at the level Goldson thinks he should play at
This may well be the case, he might want a decent EPL club on big cash but he just doesn’t have those offers.

Or as others have suggested he may have signed but it’s being kept quiet to avoid any grief

I think if we get into the cl we would be in a position to offer cg a new better deal. Would be a shame to lose him, even more so if he went without a fee coming into the club.

Maybe he’s signed with someone & is keeping it quiet just now to focus on Rangers, to stop the fans turning against him.

Didn't that happen with Ryan Jack coming to us?
It was rumoured that he'd signed a pre-contract, but it wasn't officially announced until the season finished. Probably to avoid the abuse he'd have received from the sheep fans.

I reckon Goldson would rather play in the EPL than Champions League. I fully expect him to sign for an English club but reckon he’ll be keeping it quiet until nearer the end of the season. If he was staying with us it would’ve been done by now.

My guess would be the level of team approaching haven’t been at the level desire by CG. Happy with the clubs stance if we’ve offered a reasonable deal within our wage structure, however I certainly wouldn’t be going above that. He’s been an important player, however, like every player he will be replaceable with the right scouting.

I've been mystified by Goldson's situation for a long time now -
Part of that is knowing what - if anything - to believe in press / media reports

If I understand correctly- CG was reluctant to sign a contract extension prior to getting married ( so if that's true the wage Lundstram arrived on wouldn't be all that relevant)

That's also what made me think he had an agreement lined up with another club - who told him to sit tight & get him for either a small fee or zero when they were ready ( I know that's technically illegal- but I'm sure it happens )
Who knows if that's true - but for whatever reason that club has now lost interest or is no longer able to bring him in ?

CG can now afford to wait out the season & negotiate his next contract ( elsewhere or with us) Rod Wallace style - as a free agent
That can be a bit dangerous for him - especially if he picked up an injury near to his 'out of contract' date

I'd love it to work out for us & him - but I can't see him staying - the uncertainty has gone on too long now

Three and a half years at Rangers, 120 league appearances, 193 total appearances, 17 goals

League winner

I’ve been vocal against both sides about this contract thing being dragged out, but one thing I noticed the other night during the Stirling game that made me think he'd be worth a bump in wages.
After young Lowry had scored and all the players congratulated and celebrated with him, Goldson put his arm around the boy and had a word in his ear. I think sometimes small things like on field and off field leadership from players can be missed in the contract debate.

I’ve noticed this a lot recently and there has also been sakalas comments in an RTV interview.

His quiet leadership is tremendous and I think he would be hugely beneficial to the development of Leon King & Bassey and probably Souttar too over the next 1-2 years

The issue isn't Rangers paying him what he is asking for its breaking the wage structure to do it and the knock on effect for future contract renewals with others

Id tell him to politely feck off then. We need better than all of our current CB's for the CL.

I think people need to keep expectations in check if we do reach the CL by winning the league this season.

Of course we would need better players, that much is obvious, but we could probably throw every penny of what we earn getting there on improving the squad and still be way short of the quality that many of the teams we might face in the Groups would have.

And frankly we aren’t going to have that kind of strategy in terms of finances, nor would I want us to at this stage.

Reckon hes been told if we make the champions league we’ll give him what he wants. Im hoping anyway. With the rumoured amount we would make surely we could keep him and hed want champions league football.

Do people honestly think these English boys care more about playing in the champions league than playing in the premiership for 60k a week
Potentially yes when you've already done the latter

I don't think its a black and white, all players in all situations think the same way

Was at the Everton Villa game yesterday. Mings is full of mistakes and bad decision making. Wonder if Gerrard would think Goldson would be a better option.

Your arse. He was off form a bit but you csnt ever accuse him of giving less than 100%. Absolute nonsense post.
Its the easy cop out view of the last decade or so. Someone plays badly and its straight to downed tools, not trying, attitude. Never just they had a crap game or spell

Maybe both the club and Goldson are happy for him to move on if we don't get champions league. With best wishes from both parts. If we do get champions league then maybe the board are happy to expand the wage budget and he'd jump at it
Neither side is publicly imposing deadlines on the other. I think that tells a story

Goldson is a brilliant defender. I think any ‘dips in form’ has come at times when players around him have been really struggling. Or players beside him have been below the required standard. When Helander starts beside him Id fancy us to keep a clean sheet against most teams. Keeping Helander on the pitch has been difficult.

In 3.5 years he hasnt missed a game.

55 legend
Agree, he is Mr Reliable.
That is worth its weight in gold son.

Sorry for using the son, just couldn't resist the pun. :))

Watched villa a few times since Gerrard went, Mings by name mings by nature, imo Goldson is a better centrehalf than him and it wouldn’t surprise me if Goldson has signed a pre contract with villa.

When Gerrard and his team came to us we plugged any leaks so it is possible that they’ve also achieved it at villa too and therefore no club or the player is letting it out there.

Personally I hope he stays as I do think he is a cracking player who has improved year on year since signing for us.

League winner

Totally agree. His influence in the team shouldn’t be underestimated.

I have wondered if we are waiting for the new financial year in April which will allow us to increase our wage structure - meaning we get to look like we held firm and goldson gets his money

Back