Orchard Bar Giffnock

It’s been this way for years HH. The boys that own it are reasonably decent guys, but like to avoid any possible hassle. Also, it’s £4.50 for a pint of Tennents.
I've been in it a couple of times for occasions but I'd never go in for a sit at the bar session.

£4.50 for Tennents (which I happily drink by the way) is obscene.

Dearie me, what a depressing thread.

I grew up in Clarkston way back, when it was dry, but there was never any question of what colour the surrounding bars and hotels were.

It sounds like it is still dry but the other standards may be dropping:eek:. If you're going to let any old riff-raff into the area, I think you have to let the people drink.

I think the guys that own the OP are Jewish brother with slight Rangers leanings. That could be outdated or wrong.

Clarkston bus is a fine bus. Been on many trips with them. Such a well run bus. Sad to hear to great pubs in their area have either closed or taken a step back from football fans.
The orchard park is owned by the Capaldi family and all went to St Aloyisious , they are definitely Celtic fans but not sure how bitter. Still don’t think they show the games.

Drink in the OP all the time but went there after we lifted the title in May for a few pints with my mate and got knocked back for wearing a blue top… bitter bastards hahaha
If you had a green top you would have got in OK. I have lived in Giffnock for 43 years it was a good Rangers pub not now. After the Capaldi family came in mostly that other lot watch our games.

I quite like the OP, pricey but a decent boozer when I meet boys I grew up with in the southside, its central for most of us. We're mixed company though and they know there's no chance I'd be watching an old firm with them in there or anywhere for that matter! Was in for the last Scotland game when McTominay scored in the last minute and the atmosphere was decent.

It's changed to more of an event venue now (weddings etc) and it no longer welcomes hordes of Rangers supporters to watch games.
In fact, it discourages it.

That's all of the McDonald, Redhurst (Clarkston RSC venues), plus the Railway Tavern Busby and Mearns British Legion (the old Graham Roberts bus venues) all gone now mate.

There's other new pubs that lean our way, in the Mearns, Clarkston and Busby, but you would've been long gone before they were built.

Busby Masonic can still see a couple hundred in for a big weekend game and Giffnock North Club gets decent numbers in too.

I take it you are too young to remember when the GRL was the Dougie Bell Loyal :)

I take it you are too young to remember when the GRL was the Dougie Bell Loyal :)

Before my time mate, but I do know that some of the founders of the GRL go on the Clarkston bus now.

They've never mentioned the Dougie Bell Loyal.

You sure that wasn't a different bus?

Where did it leave from?

Before my time mate, but I do know that some of the founders of the GRL go on the Clarkston bus now.

They've never mentioned the Dougie Bell Loyal.

You sure that wasn't a different bus?

Where did it leave from?

It was the Dougie Bell Loyal for a very short period of time.

The bus left from Newton Mearns.

It's changed to more of an event venue now (weddings etc) and it no longer welcomes hordes of Rangers supporters to watch games.
In fact, it discourages it.

That's all of the McDonald, Redhurst (Clarkston RSC venues), plus the Railway Tavern Busby and Mearns British Legion (the old Graham Roberts bus venues) all gone now mate.

There's other new pubs that lean our way, in the Mearns, Clarkston and Busby, but you would've been long gone before they were built.

Busby Masonic can still see a couple hundred in for a big weekend game and Giffnock North Club gets decent numbers in too.
The Capelrig bear friendly?

I remember that place as a kid in the late 70's / early 80's. My dad was in the resident band for Weddings etc. Was certainly a Rangers pub back then. Think it's all went a bit Yupee since then.

Way back then they had a big Rangers fan owner. Any older bears from that area remember his name.

Big George maybe ?

Better off at Monteith's , Overlee or Busby Masonic.
Miles oot mate no Tim bus leaves from the bank our bus Cathcart rsc leaves from the bank.
I was in couple months ago and a Celtic bus dropped off after a game as they all came in with colours on. Not an issue as decent guys but bus def dropped off there. Didn't realise Rangers bus left from there. I didn't not drink there a lot but local for my mate.

Given the venue of the game it should be ok. Many good Bears drink in there particularly since the closure of the still missed MacDonald Hotel.
Not been in for a couple of years but got the feeling that there are more than a few mhanks.

Used to drink in the McDonald as a youth :)

It's £4.50 for Tennants in the Orchard Park, but the bar service is the best. Usually 6 to 8 bar staff serving, no waiting. They don't show OF games to avoid any bother.

Hahaha fair one, might tread carefully with my suggestion! It’s a fair old session with an early morning start dropping pints on the boat, hitting the bowling club just after 12 and sinking what they can before 14:15!
Haha! long old day right enough. In all seriousness though, if you make contact it would be a good revenue stream and generally a good crowd. Stamperland Bowling Club take in Hibs and Sheep buses before Hampden I've noticed.

I do jump into the OP when I am up the road.It’s definitely a mixed boozer.
Always loved going into the Macdonald hotel when the Clarkston bus left from there many moons ago and the clarkston bowling club as well.i used to watch games in the stampy club as well as Napoleons ..

I remember that place as a kid in the late 70's / early 80's. My dad was in the resident band for Weddings etc. Was certainly a Rangers pub back then. Think it's all went a bit Yupee since then.

Way back then they had a big Rangers fan owner. Any older bears from that area remember his name.

Big George maybe ?
George Hamilton was the owner/manager? back in the seventies, big bluenose.

Big George maybe ?
Another useless fact about the Orchard Park, back in the day it used to be a maternity/nursing home, ex prime minister Gordon Brown was born there in 1951.

What about Busby hotel,Whitecart and the other pub on the main road?

Both the Whitecart and Busby Hotel are just eating houses and in the Busby Hotel's case, a wedding venue too.
Not football places at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Half a dozen of them on a good day mate.
Don't even go to away games either.

Mickey Mouse stuff.

You're right about the number of Bears up that way.
You just need to see the amount of motors piling on at the M77 slip road for about an hour solid for an Ibrox game.
One stop on the Motorway too many but my mate has started a bus for home matches only from the Old Plane Tree in the new estate in Darnley. There was about 10/12 of us travelling in cars every week from the estate so he thought it would be better to get a bus so we could all have a pint.

He must be averaging 40+ a game now. Pick up on the Parkhouse Rd then the OPT 10 mins later. £5 a skull.

I’m sure we were back at the pub for 10 o’clock on Friday night.

Recall Orchard had lounge in the sixties
Was in there and there was entertainment with punters taking the mic (before karaoke!)
One old guy sang “Blueberry Hill” by Fats Domino pretty good!
It was never a fitba place in these days -don’t believe pubs had TVs!

One stop on the Motorway too many but my mate has started a bus for home matches only from the Old Plane Tree in the new estate in Darnley. There was about 10/12 of us travelling in cars every week from the estate so he thought it would be better to get a bus so we could all have a pint.

He must be averaging 40+ a game now. Pick up on the Parkhouse Rd then the OPT 10 mins later. £5 a skull.

Could be interested in this,hope it goes well mate.

Could be interested in this,hope it goes well mate.
No worries just drop me a message if you are after any more details. He basically just runs it via a WhatsApp group so I can get you added to that if you are interested.

1850 Parkhouse Rd
1900 Old Plane Tree for Wednesday’s game.

Pick up at the flyover on the PRW after the match. (56 bus stop as I would call it) same place it drops us before k.o.

Brilliant mate.

Good luck with it.

Eaglesham Masonic just off Polnoon Street is a good spot, wee bit further out the way though. I used to watch Rangers matches in the OP, seemed we had the majority and never any hassle. Linen is Shawlands is another shout.
Linen shawlands can be hit and miss, its all Bears but usually every seat and table is reserved for locals...which is pretty fair actually.
I've been knocked back loads of times before semi finals etc.

No worries just drop me a message if you are after any more details. He basically just runs it via a WhatsApp group so I can get you added to that if you are interested.

1850 Parkhouse Rd
1900 Old Plane Tree for Wednesday’s game.

Pick up at the flyover on the PRW after the match. (56 bus stop as I would call it) same place it drops us before k.o.

Brilliant Ally.

Hope your keeping well.

Tell your Da I was asking for him.

NS.

Yeah Manorview, heard that on Saturday, not sure if true.
Not as far as I'm aware,
I had a meeting with the group today and no indication of them going bust - very well run business with good backers

That said - you never know !!
They just closed all their hotels/restaurants in Dec/Jan rather than run at a loss with the restrictions.

Back