Would you give the Gers money if you won a huge amount on the lottery (And would your Mrs let you.)

I would follow the advice give by Lex McLean many years ago. I’d buy Parkheid and run the blue trains though it.

Just buy a box.

Sticking too much money into the club could have the effect of ruining your relationship with it.

I would buy some land near the ground, build a state of the art fan zone and hospitality area then lease it to the club on a 99 year lease for a nominal fee. All profits going back into the club

If I won £100million Rangers would be getting £20million for a couple of players. All I ask is a couple of comfy seat for me and the family to use.

I’d buy Aberdeen and just close them down for a laugh. Dunno what I’d spend the rest of the tenner on though

Where does it end giving money to the football club though? Look how much Dave king has put in and it never seems to be enough.
Personally if I won 160 million I would put money in but I dont have the financial brains to say how it should be used.
I think that that best thing a fan could do, would be to secure the stadium and perhaps Auchenhowie in trust. This would prevent any future owners from using it as collateral, and therefore its possible sale.
The club were days away from the fat man using the stadium as security for a £5m loan.
IIRC the first thing DK did after the takeover was to immediately repay this£5m.

Would rather give it to me friends and family to live very comfortably than to a football club to spunk

It would be thrown away on inflated transfer fees and wages within a relatively short space of time. If we were on our arse like between 2011-2015 then things would be different right enough, but not when we are successful like we are now, ie Champions and competing in Europe. We have a ceiling with the League we play in and throwing daft money about won’t change that!

Would rather me and my mates were retired so we could go on an all day sesh before Wed games against Livingston and the like and not have to worry about working, abroad for a week at a time for every Euro away, that sort of stuff!

Depends on what it is to be used for. We've just taken in £20m for Gerrard and Patterson with, as yet, no obvious place where its went.
If I gave £20m I'd want certain guarantees how it would be used. Certainly not to pay off loans etc.

I'd set up a team to get rid of the rangers haters at the SPFL/SFA and Tim minded officials then put the rest of my donation to the club knowing then that my money was not a waste of time.

Had the same hypothetical question with the better half,She said no I said definitely we decided to agree to differ till we won something.

Had this discussion with my significant other she said no I said yes obviously or i would,not have started this thread . If i had won the Colin Weir money i know i would have seen Rangers all right don't think we would have went through what we have .
Absolutely would give them money.
Dont have another half so not an issue and even if I did it wouldnt be an issue.
Already have the T&Cs in my head. Lump sum and then an annual payment. In return Im one of the 5 subs v the scum and get on last minute to savour the victory and cement one of their players. Very fair terms I think.

£160 million is an obscene amount of money for one man.

I would derive immense joy in giving the vast majority away to loved ones and as Rangers is one of my loved ones then yes, without doubt they’d benefit greatly.

I'd invest 5% of any winnings, the Mrs wouldn't get a say. She'd be free to invest in something she loves.

Enough to buy a seat on the board other than that will continue to contribute to the club in the form of my season ticket.

And you would have been taken to the cleaners

Same reason why any sane investor ran a million miles when they looked at the books.

£20m to buy Rangers at the time

Then, as the banks aren’t stupid and we’re getting out quickly, fund the club by around £1m per month

All the while a potential £40-80m (who knows?) debt hanging over the club by HMRC

So, you could have spent in excess of £50m only to get whacked with a bill of say another £50m (potentially)

Anyway, that was for a different time…..

Onto nowadays - okay so you’ve won big, say around £100m on Euromillions

You decide to ‘give’ Rangers £20m as you are a good guy

What you have effectively done is given all of the other multi millionaire investors £20m between them, as THEY own the club and it used to have assets of say £100m including playing staff, stadium etc, now it has assets of £120m and the value of their shareholding has went up

No, what you do first is buy a share in the club and then LOAN the club the money, secured against some assets (so you get your money back the same as the other investors) with say an interest free, 5 year loan.

The club have the option after 5 years of paying back the loan in full, or paying back £10m and converting the other £10m into shares.
I think this is most sensible post on the subject matter. I would like to invest but I would need to take the advice of an honest and adept accountant as I have little interest or knowledge in big finance. However, I might donate a large amount of money to the building and upkeep of a Rangers Museum as soon as possible. This is one stipulation that I would make as our history is our biggest asset and I want future generations of our supporters and those who like their football generally to gain that knowledge.

I am not well acquainted with Rangers finances. I realise that the Chairman, Owners and Directors etc have given Rangers money. I think it is also the case that they have given Rangers loans at perhaps 1 to 3 per cent interest. So that is probably my strategy if I won 'silly' amounts of money. There is always the worry of a Craig Whyte or David Murray type getting the reins and that thought would stop me just giving away silly money.

During the banter years I thought if I won Weir amounts of money that I'd buy Rangers off the shysters that were running them. I'd have put Alastair Johnston in charge as I always felt like he knew what he was doing and I certainly wouldn't.

I didn't even play the lottery though, so this fantasy was dependent on me finding a winning ticket.

Would definitely put money into the youth set up including training sessions in small towns. I wouldn’t want on board or anything. I wouldn’t want any hospitality that involves wearing a suit and tie at the football, just give me 10 club 72 season tickets for life, seats all together (5 in one row and 5 row in front)

I would be looking at making sure I was creating sustainable income from it that can then be used to create regular investment for both Rangers & charitable causes.

Reactions: Ter
I wouldn’t take a shareholding but would make a ringfenced investment for the purchase of players and improvement to the fan experience in and around Ibrox.

Football, especially in Scotland isn't the best way to invest money if you are expecting to see any of it again.

Would use it to fund a few startups and if things are going well maybe buy a small club in another country to learn and make mistakes.

Then when the billions come in from the sale of the thriving businesses it is time for Rangers.

It it was mega millions then I'd look to make a sizeable donation in return for the playing surface and in turn distribute it amongst us all (something similar to the Chelsea Pitch Owners)

If it’s some daft euro millions win of say about £50m then yeah I’d probably donate about £20m to rangers on the understanding it’s invested properly in the team. Would struggle to live on the £30m left over mind you.

£121m according to Wiki, which is over £200m in todays money.
Don't believe a word Wiki says. Hampden got renovated for a fortune and the Millenium was built from scratch and it caused havoc that we got some lipstick and they got an awesome stadium and the sums weren't massively dissimilar. Then Wembley was built and again everyone realised what a good job the Welsh FA done with their money.

Had this discussion with my significant other she said no I said yes obviously or i would,not have started this thread . If i had won the Colin Weir money i know i would have seen Rangers all right don't think we would have went through what we have .
HMRC would have stolen money off you they weren't due, surely?
The matter always needed to go to court and be resisted.
In the end I still think the courts called it wrong.
A bent decision in a Scottish Court that given the political situation in the UK, with the destabilising SNP, was then ratified in a London Court probably under pressure not to offend?

Depends how much I've won. Probably more likely to buy Fort William FC and try and do a Football Manager in real life. Think it would then be against rules to give the Gers money.
I'd pay to name Ibrox.
£5 mill a year for 5 years.

I'd call it Ibrox. B-DB-DB-DB-DB-D

Don't believe a word Wiki says. Hampden got renovated for a fortune and the Millenium was built from scratch and it caused havoc that we got some lipstick and they got an awesome stadium and the sums weren't massively dissimilar. Then Wembley was built and again everyone realised what a good job the Welsh FA done with their money.
Given every other article I'm looking at also says £121m, where are you getting your figures from if they are all wrong?

I would as long as I didn't have any say in the running of the club and no profile. Football fans are generally a bunch of moaners who are seldom happy.

Nah I'd buy the best hospitality package available. If I won a ridiculous amount then I'd invest in the club.

Given every other article I'm looking at also says £121m, where are you getting your figures from if they are all wrong?
I've just seen it cost £121 million with £46 million from lottery funding leaving just shy of £80 million from the public purse. Maybe that's where I got this figures from. I can't really remember, it was many, many beers ago.

Back