I have my doubts over this Rangers team after shambolic Celtic display – they should hang their heads in shame

BlueMeanie

• Kris Boyd

YOU can’t be 1-0 down in an Old Firm game after 41 minutes and go into the dressing room at half-time 3-0 behind.
You can’t be playing so badly the gaffer is justified in giving three players the hook at the break.

Just like you can’t have him pointing the finger at you after the final whistle with an accusation you weren’t properly prepared.
Giovanni van Bronckhorst certainly didn’t miss his Rangers players with his post-match comments on Wednesday night.
But for all his words must have stung individuals in his team, they just have to take it.
From the team that started, Allan McGregor and Scott Arfield are the only two men who earned pass marks.
The rest should be hanging their heads in shame after that performance.
The lack of intensity in the Rangers team was incredible in a game that demanded the players fought for every ball.

Celtic were tremendous, let me say that here and now.
Everyone knows where my allegiance lies so that’s not an easy thing for me to admit — but it’s true.
Up for it, determined, focused, united as a team — they were everything Rangers weren’t. They grabbed the game by the throat and didn’t let go until they’d throttled the life out of my team. Sure, Rangers were better in the second half when Van Bronckhorst took off his worst offenders, but it was way too late.
Celtic had the game won by then and they knew it.
It’s easy to play when you’re 3-0 up, just as it’s easy to play when you’re 3-0 down.
Fair play to Ryan Jack, Fashion Sakala and Leon Balogun for making an impact but the game was already gone. The question now is whether Rangers’ title chances went with it?
That may sound like a big thing to say given Rangers were top of the league going into the derby and are only one point behind Celtic. But Ange Postecoglou has a team with its tail up.

There is energy there and a tremendous will to win and it’s hard to see that group of players letting their standards drop now.
For me, Rangers will probably need to win 13 of their remaining 14 league matches between now and the end of the season. And at least draw the other one with Celtic back at Parkhead.
Are they capable of that? If you’d asked me two days ago I wouldn’t have doubted it for a second, and it’s still possible.
But there are question marks over the manager now and the team after that abysmal Old Firm performance and result. In central defence, Connor Goldson and Calvin Bassey were a shambles — and don’t start me when it comes to the two full-backs.
If James Tavernier was bad, what about Borna Barisic? Wow, that’s pretty much all I can say about his night.
He was one of the ones taken off at the break and he was probably grateful, given the hiding he was getting.
Had it not been for Greegsy then Rangers could have been trailing by five or six before the second half even kicked off. For a game of that magnitude it was just unacceptable. I just looked at the team and didn’t see players who wanted to be there.

Look at Celtic. Callum McGregor played with a fractured cheekbone.
The fact he managed to get through the 90 minutes without anyone testing out that face mask is another story, but his commitment to the team was tremendous.
Daizen Maeda was on the bench having just flown into Scotland from Japan on the morning of the game. That’s the sort of thing that matters.
But at Rangers there doesn’t seem to be that mentality.
Ryan Kent is nowhere near it right now. Glen Kamara has been off it for weeks. I can’t believe I’m saying this given the criticism I’ve hit him with down the years but the way things are right now, Rangers’ title defence is all down to one man...
Alfredo Morelos needs to get himself back to Scotland from Colombia and get firing again.
The signs have been good this season and I hope for Rangers’ sake he returns in good shape and raring to go.
Aaron Ramsey is obviously going to be a major player too but why wasn’t he involved the other night?

The next time he goes back to Celtic Park it could be a title decider so why not have him on the bench at least on Wednesday to experience what the game was all about close-up?
His arrival is clearly a major boost but he needs to hit the ground running — Rangers have no time to waste.
I have my doubts over this Rangers team now, though.
At 1-0 down just four minutes from half-time, they should have closed ranks and got back to the away changing room.
Instead they conceded another two goals. That’s just weak. As a Rangers supporter, I must admit it was a hard watch, but one thing I did enjoy about was hearing McGregor refer to the derby as the Old Firm.
I thought that term had been banned by everyone at Celtic Park. I just hope Cal didn’t end up with rapped knuckles to go with his fractured cheekbone.

• Kris Boyd

YOU can’t be 1-0 down in an Old Firm game after 41 minutes and go into the dressing room at half-time 3-0 behind.
You can’t be playing so badly the gaffer is justified in giving three players the hook at the break.

Just like you can’t have him pointing the finger at you after the final whistle with an accusation you weren’t properly prepared.
Giovanni van Bronckhorst certainly didn’t miss his Rangers players with his post-match comments on Wednesday night.
But for all his words must have stung individuals in his team, they just have to take it.
From the team that started, Allan McGregor and Scott Arfield are the only two men who earned pass marks.
The rest should be hanging their heads in shame after that performance.
The lack of intensity in the Rangers team was incredible in a game that demanded the players fought for every ball.

Celtic were tremendous, let me say that here and now.
Everyone knows where my allegiance lies so that’s not an easy thing for me to admit — but it’s true.
Up for it, determined, focused, united as a team — they were everything Rangers weren’t. They grabbed the game by the throat and didn’t let go until they’d throttled the life out of my team. Sure, Rangers were better in the second half when Van Bronckhorst took off his worst offenders, but it was way too late.
Celtic had the game won by then and they knew it.
It’s easy to play when you’re 3-0 up, just as it’s easy to play when you’re 3-0 down.
Fair play to Ryan Jack, Fashion Sakala and Leon Balogun for making an impact but the game was already gone. The question now is whether Rangers’ title chances went with it?
That may sound like a big thing to say given Rangers were top of the league going into the derby and are only one point behind Celtic. But Ange Postecoglou has a team with its tail up.

There is energy there and a tremendous will to win and it’s hard to see that group of players letting their standards drop now.
For me, Rangers will probably need to win 13 of their remaining 14 league matches between now and the end of the season. And at least draw the other one with Celtic back at Parkhead.
Are they capable of that? If you’d asked me two days ago I wouldn’t have doubted it for a second, and it’s still possible.
But there are question marks over the manager now and the team after that abysmal Old Firm performance and result. In central defence, Connor Goldson and Calvin Bassey were a shambles — and don’t start me when it comes to the two full-backs.
If James Tavernier was bad, what about Borna Barisic? Wow, that’s pretty much all I can say about his night.
He was one of the ones taken off at the break and he was probably grateful, given the hiding he was getting.
Had it not been for Greegsy then Rangers could have been trailing by five or six before the second half even kicked off. For a game of that magnitude it was just unacceptable. I just looked at the team and didn’t see players who wanted to be there.

Look at Celtic. Callum McGregor played with a fractured cheekbone.
The fact he managed to get through the 90 minutes without anyone testing out that face mask is another story, but his commitment to the team was tremendous.
Daizen Maeda was on the bench having just flown into Scotland from Japan on the morning of the game. That’s the sort of thing that matters.
But at Rangers there doesn’t seem to be that mentality.
Ryan Kent is nowhere near it right now. Glen Kamara has been off it for weeks. I can’t believe I’m saying this given the criticism I’ve hit him with down the years but the way things are right now, Rangers’ title defence is all down to one man...
Alfredo Morelos needs to get himself back to Scotland from Colombia and get firing again.
The signs have been good this season and I hope for Rangers’ sake he returns in good shape and raring to go.
Aaron Ramsey is obviously going to be a major player too but why wasn’t he involved the other night?

The next time he goes back to Celtic Park it could be a title decider so why not have him on the bench at least on Wednesday to experience what the game was all about close-up?
His arrival is clearly a major boost but he needs to hit the ground running — Rangers have no time to waste.
I have my doubts over this Rangers team now, though.
At 1-0 down just four minutes from half-time, they should have closed ranks and got back to the away changing room.
Instead they conceded another two goals. That’s just weak. As a Rangers supporter, I must admit it was a hard watch, but one thing I did enjoy about was hearing McGregor refer to the derby as the Old Firm.
I thought that term had been banned by everyone at Celtic Park. I just hope Cal didn’t end up with rapped knuckles to go with his fractured cheekbone.
Didn,t mcgregor grow up as a Rangers supporter.

It’s all on Aaron Ramsey to make the difference on and off the pitch. He needs to raise the standards and act like an unofficial captain. In games he needs to score goals and drive the team forward and be the archetypal box-to-box midfielder he was at Arsenal. He needs to be that guy who turns a 1-1 into a 2-1 win.

If he’s not on it from the off or gets injured we’re done.

Is it the team or is it the manager .remember this is nearly the same team that one the league last season.

It’s the same team that have only won one trophy.

The squad needs a refresh, there is absolutely no question about it.

Kent, Aribo, Goldson, Tav, Borna, McGregor, Arfield and so on - they have failed more times than they have succeeded.

I hope they prove us all wrong this season

It is the same team that never turned up when we needed them for Malmo hot of a undefeated session and looked right off the pace at times under SG.
We really should have been knocked out of Europe altogether on top of that by Alashkert. That away game was genuine heart attack stuff.

2 more days of self loathing.
Bring on match day, we know it was terrible but it’s done now and rehashing the same faults doesn’t take the pain away.

Is the press conference tomorrow or Saturday? Will listen to that on H&H and then look forward to an actual game of football. The time for words and finger pointing are over for me.

Some love in with the scum right now. People forget in their previous two games Hearts missed a penalty to equalise against them and it took an injury time winner to beat Dundee Utd at home. We were awful last night and made them look a hell of a lot better than they are. We are in a poor run of form but things will change.

I think quite a lot of fans will doubt the team after what they witnessed last night and rightly so. It's up to the players to go out and show that they have the balls for the fight going forward, starting on Sunday against hearts.

They have a 'tremendous will to win', and we don't? Is that what Boyd is saying?

I think quite a lot of fans will doubt the team after what they witnessed last night and rightly so. It's up to the players to go out and show that they have the balls for the fight going forward, starting on Sunday against hearts.
What if the players are being told to sit back and stand off their opponents?

Some love in with the scum right now. People forget in their previous two games Hearts missed a penalty to equalise against them and it took an injury time winner to beat Dundee Utd at home. We were awful last night and made them look a hell of a lot better than they are. We are in a poor run of form but things will change.
Iv watched them a few times this season, they are average, we managed to make them look like the peak Spain squad last night.

Boyd defending his mate McGregor again

How can the keeper get pass marks when he should have saved the second goal and came off his line for the cross for the third goal

Only players to get pass marks at a push were Jack and Balogun

It’s the same team that have only won one trophy.

The squad needs a refresh, there is absolutely no question about it.

Kent, Aribo, Goldson, Tav, Borna, McGregor, Arfield and so on - they have failed more times than they have succeeded.

I hope they prove us all wrong this season
It's a combination of both in my opinion

What if the players are being told to sit back and stand off their opponents?
Then that's on the management team . But we've seen these kinds of half arsed performances from certain players well before GVB and his team arrived. The fact 3 of them were hooked at half time would suggest they weren't doing what the manager wanted. That being said you could have taken anyone on that pitch off at half time because they were all a disgrace.

Not to mention their 97th minute winner after six minutes of injury time against Ross County and the diver's offside winner against Hearts. Fine margins or what.

Last night was abysmal, but I'm not overreacting. Long way to go.

Boyd defending his mate McGregor again

How can the keeper get pass marks when he should have saved the second goal and came off his line for the cross for the third goal

Only players to get pass marks at a push were Jack and Balogun
To be honest I don't think that he made any great saves. All saves you'd expect your keeper to make.

It’s all on Aaron Ramsey to make the difference on and off the pitch. He needs to raise the standards and act like an unofficial captain. In games he needs to score goals and drive the team forward and be the archetypal box-to-box midfielder he was at Arsenal. He needs to be that guy who turns a 1-1 into a 2-1 win.

If he’s not on it from the off or gets injured we’re done.
No we're not.

They have a 'tremendous will to win', and we don't? Is that what Boyd is saying?
Boyds spot on. We never had the balls for a battle last night. That started with the managers dreadful defensive tactics and worked it's way round the full team until Jack & Balogun came on.

Hardly a love in with the scum . Boyd called it as it was and what we all saw with our own eyes.
One team with a high push and an ability to find their own team mates with a pass.
Our lot...give me strength ....couldn't pass their water and that has been called out virtually every match this season on this board.
Too many short passes,too many long passes and happy to play it back and forth along the back line with no urgency or penatration.Every time the scum went forward,their wing play had us in knots on both flanks.Hit the bassas ffs . :mad:
One thing he did call wrong was Greegs .Distribution is shocking to the point of being a joke and at fault for bad positioning for 2nd goal and rooted to the line for the 3rd .
Arfield did well imo and the 3 half time subs too but too little too late .
Brownie points from last season all spent now for the rest.

Boyds spot on. We never had the balls for a battle last night. That started with the managers dreadful defensive tactics and worked it's way round the full team until Jack & Balogun came on.
Listening to Jack's interview again he seems to be saying the same thing, that we were not willing to battle.

97th minute vs Ross County, 10 man Celtic score a winner.

90th minute Dundee Utd, 10 man Celtic score a winner.

What did we do against Ross County? Hearts? Concede last minute goals and throw away points. We were hanging on for dear life away to Aberdeen whereas Celtic would be going for the win no matter what.

Again in this thread people are going on about Gio and sitting back, I’ve said it consistently since last night, that was the one he got wrong due to team selection. Hibs and Hearts he was just in the door, Hibs was a poor quality game but they never had any clear cut chances, Hearts did but let’s not forget we did as well by playing his style of football in another tough away environment. Aberdeen game was poor to watch but is a fixture we’ve known to drop points in recently. Ross County is on the players, as a team we should have enough quality no matter who’s on that pitch to see the game out.

The reason we’ve dropped points is the same issues repeating themselves that are embedded in some/most of these players. Again we are slack in passing, not assertive enough in our play and indecisive in the final 3rd. We shit the bed when the pressure is on and the jitters appear throughout the side.

You can’t tell me the Joe Aribo we saw at Ross County gliding by 3/4 players has been told not to get on the ball or make himself available for a pass last night? Or Kamara was instructed to let any of their midfield run off him and not track back? Tavernier and Barisic to stop crosses at the source or get tight to their opponents.

The team bottled it last night, Benfica, Young Boys, Malmö, St Johnstone, St Mirren, Hearts, Motherwell, Dundee Utd. All teams we’ve dropped points to or lost ties under Gerrard before he left. In most of these games the issues I’ve said above have been a factor.

The core is weak, I didn’t want to believe we could only perform with no fans but it seems any time an opposition’s crowd get momentum behind their team we crumble.

I hope that Gio and his team are able to address the issues in our squad and we move on fast from last night. With the introduction of Ramsey, hopefully Jack and Helander fit and Morelos back again it can only help us.

97th minute vs Ross County, 10 man Celtic score a winner.

90th minute Dundee Utd, 10 man Celtic score a winner.

What did we do against Ross County? Hearts? Concede last minute goals and throw away points. We were hanging on for dear life away to Aberdeen whereas Celtic would be going for the win no matter what.
This surely comes from the dugout?

Reactions: TPP
Back