I have my doubts over this Rangers team after shambolic Celtic display – they should hang their heads in shame

Big aribo is the one im really disappointed in as we all know how good he can be but he just didnt look interested.
I'm a big fan of his but that was an awful game from him -- although he was part of a "midfield" that was constantly over-run.
However, even in the second half when we had a bit of drive, he didn't spark into life.

In the first half I saw him trotting about aimlessly at several points.

He would almost certainly have done a better job for us further forward, on the right.
But it was a very disappointing performance from a guy who can unlock defences and draw multile fouls when attacking.
tbh, that should probably be the last time he is wasted in midfield.
We should have enough others to fill in there, allowing Aribo to used up front.

I'm a big fan of his but that was an awful game from him -- although he was part of a "midfield" that was constantly over-run.
However, even in the second half when we had a bit of drive, he didn't spark into life.

In the first half I saw him trotting about aimlessly at several points.

He would almost certainly have done a better job for us further forward, on the right.
But it was a very disappointing performance from a guy who can unlock defences and draw multile fouls when attacking.
tbh, that should probably be the last time he is wasted in midfield.
We should have enough others to fill in there, allowing Aribo to used up front.
Strange performance from him.

Even after 55 and putting together a good run of wins there's something about this group of players I can't trust.

In 3.5 years they have a pattern of shitting the bed on big occasions, winning the league last year going against the trend.

The collapse after winter breaks and only managing to get to Hampden once in umpteen attempts tells me this squad are anything but relentless.

Not to mention their 97th minute winner after six minutes of injury time against Ross County and the diver's offside winner against Hearts. Fine margins or what.

Last night was abysmal, but I'm not overreacting. Long way to go.
If it wasn't for 4 seperate injury time goals this season then we would still be sitting 7 points clear after Wednesdays defeat.
Of course the hard facts are you okay to the whistle and all that.
But my point is how fine the margin is between us being second or well infront.

given how utter p*sh we were for some to simply focus attention on McGregor is really weird and comes across a bit agendyish TBH, he was the only thing that stopped it being an absolute dicking

i.e a couple of saves "right at hime" came about because Tav made an utter c*nt of whatever it he was trying to do, probably best just to prevent the save right at him happening in the first place TBH
Don’t see anyone focusing on McGregor tbh

All folk are saying is to claim he gets pass marks for making a few saves hit straight at him is utterly ridiculous given he should have done far better with their second and third, albeit outfield players should have done more too.

McGregor seems to get a free pass by many for sentimental reasons only

Don’t see anyone focusing on McGregor tbh

All folk are saying is to claim he gets pass marks for making a few saves hit straight at him is utterly ridiculous given he should have done far better with their second and third, albeit outfield players should have done more too.

McGregor seems to get a free pass by many for sentimental reasons only

A massive part of the reasons shots were right at him is because of his positioning. If the outfield players had managed that level of competence in their position the shots wouldn't have even had to take place.

McGregor very much does get pass marks from the vast majority of people who watched that game, even accounting for the second goal, he stopped it being 6 or 7 that in it's self is what merits pass marks.

Everything about their preparation pre-match was there to see. From lining up and all of them bouncing about like they’d just eaten a pack of skittles. Then the drama and theatre with the huddle - all going dark except for a green light beam on them. They have been majorly focused on this moment (even the winter break fiasco and being brought forward meant all their focus was on this and they were not going to lose). Our players standing about waiting, not got the fight and anger and determination in them pre match. What a contrast. Only one winner there. We were rabbits in the headlight. They had planned this to the nth degree. But it’s only one game - the real fight now is how we match up v Hearts.?
You are right,from the very start you could see they were fired up and they knew what the rewards would be for victory.The performance of the team in terms of energy and desire,with a couple of exceptions was unforgiveable.
Instead of our players standing around waiting for the theatrics to finish they should,be together as a group over at the dug out getting their own last minute pep talk from the captain and manager.Then when the wee disco show is over we take our positions.Make them wait for us.its small things like this that set the tone.

With hindsight perhaps Donny Van Da Beek would have been a better loan for six months, if it's possible to have two loans from the same club? He came through Ajax's academy and therefore has already worked with Dave Vos
We’d never have gotten him, Everton are covering the entirety of his £100k PW package. We only got Ramsey because Juventus are going the extra mile to facilitate his loan deal.

The concern is that everybody knew exactly how the five card tricks would start the game , with the exception of our team by the looks of it , and if they did , then why fcuk did we let them...?. Kris Commons got pelters the other day , but he wasn't far wrong in hindsight. There's a long way to go but it's time we started to look like a side that really wants to win it...

Is it the team or is it the manager .remember this is nearly the same team that one the league last season.
Could be both. I think quite a few wanted to go in the summer and didn’t get the right offer and don’t really want to be here. Goldson Kamara Kent and maybe even Tav spring to mind.

Losing that game in isolation won't cost us the league - any potential damage was done at Aberdeen and Ross County away before hand. Them games are the real reason that Celtic went top because we frittered away our cushion due to pathetic displays.

I'm not saying the league is over but it won't be decided on that Old Firm game IMO even though we had a total meltdown in the first half and the players/management need to take a look at themselves - it's the draws against utter dross that we show far too much respect to most weeks.

Two remaining old firm games left. Would you bet on us winning either of them?

It's up to the manager to ensure the players are fired up and prepared.

Normally I'd agree to an extent, but if a Rangers player can't get himself fired up for an old firm clash, especially one that means the difference of being top of the league then they can piss off.

In summary, our arses drapped, and Celtic know they have us by the balls.

That wasn't just a defeat - it was a humiliation.

It will take something approaching a minor miracle to turn this around and win the league.

It's with them now, and Gio and the players have shat the bed.

Minor miracle? A tad hyperbolic.

We're not up against O'Neill's Celtic of 2000 here.

• Kris Boyd

YOU can’t be 1-0 down in an Old Firm game after 41 minutes and go into the dressing room at half-time 3-0 behind.
You can’t be playing so badly the gaffer is justified in giving three players the hook at the break.

Just like you can’t have him pointing the finger at you after the final whistle with an accusation you weren’t properly prepared.
Giovanni van Bronckhorst certainly didn’t miss his Rangers players with his post-match comments on Wednesday night.
But for all his words must have stung individuals in his team, they just have to take it.
From the team that started, Allan McGregor and Scott Arfield are the only two men who earned pass marks.
The rest should be hanging their heads in shame after that performance.
The lack of intensity in the Rangers team was incredible in a game that demanded the players fought for every ball.

Celtic were tremendous, let me say that here and now.
Everyone knows where my allegiance lies so that’s not an easy thing for me to admit — but it’s true.
Up for it, determined, focused, united as a team — they were everything Rangers weren’t. They grabbed the game by the throat and didn’t let go until they’d throttled the life out of my team. Sure, Rangers were better in the second half when Van Bronckhorst took off his worst offenders, but it was way too late.
Celtic had the game won by then and they knew it.
It’s easy to play when you’re 3-0 up, just as it’s easy to play when you’re 3-0 down.
Fair play to Ryan Jack, Fashion Sakala and Leon Balogun for making an impact but the game was already gone. The question now is whether Rangers’ title chances went with it?
That may sound like a big thing to say given Rangers were top of the league going into the derby and are only one point behind Celtic. But Ange Postecoglou has a team with its tail up.

There is energy there and a tremendous will to win and it’s hard to see that group of players letting their standards drop now.
For me, Rangers will probably need to win 13 of their remaining 14 league matches between now and the end of the season. And at least draw the other one with Celtic back at Parkhead.
Are they capable of that? If you’d asked me two days ago I wouldn’t have doubted it for a second, and it’s still possible.
But there are question marks over the manager now and the team after that abysmal Old Firm performance and result. In central defence, Connor Goldson and Calvin Bassey were a shambles — and don’t start me when it comes to the two full-backs.
If James Tavernier was bad, what about Borna Barisic? Wow, that’s pretty much all I can say about his night.
He was one of the ones taken off at the break and he was probably grateful, given the hiding he was getting.
Had it not been for Greegsy then Rangers could have been trailing by five or six before the second half even kicked off. For a game of that magnitude it was just unacceptable. I just looked at the team and didn’t see players who wanted to be there.

Look at Celtic. Callum McGregor played with a fractured cheekbone.
The fact he managed to get through the 90 minutes without anyone testing out that face mask is another story, but his commitment to the team was tremendous.
Daizen Maeda was on the bench having just flown into Scotland from Japan on the morning of the game. That’s the sort of thing that matters.
But at Rangers there doesn’t seem to be that mentality.
Ryan Kent is nowhere near it right now. Glen Kamara has been off it for weeks. I can’t believe I’m saying this given the criticism I’ve hit him with down the years but the way things are right now, Rangers’ title defence is all down to one man...
Alfredo Morelos needs to get himself back to Scotland from Colombia and get firing again.
The signs have been good this season and I hope for Rangers’ sake he returns in good shape and raring to go.
Aaron Ramsey is obviously going to be a major player too but why wasn’t he involved the other night?

The next time he goes back to Celtic Park it could be a title decider so why not have him on the bench at least on Wednesday to experience what the game was all about close-up?
His arrival is clearly a major boost but he needs to hit the ground running — Rangers have no time to waste.
I have my doubts over this Rangers team now, though.
At 1-0 down just four minutes from half-time, they should have closed ranks and got back to the away changing room.
Instead they conceded another two goals. That’s just weak. As a Rangers supporter, I must admit it was a hard watch, but one thing I did enjoy about was hearing McGregor refer to the derby as the Old Firm.
I thought that term had been banned by everyone at Celtic Park. I just hope Cal didn’t end up with rapped knuckles to go with his fractured cheekbone.

Cant argue with much of it but you can be 1-0 down after 41 mins and go in to the dressing room 3-0 down which you would have known if you had been old enough to attend the 1969 Scottish Cup Final!!! I still have nightmares about that game:(

• Kris Boyd

YOU can’t be 1-0 down in an Old Firm game after 41 minutes and go into the dressing room at half-time 3-0 behind.
You can’t be playing so badly the gaffer is justified in giving three players the hook at the break.

Just like you can’t have him pointing the finger at you after the final whistle with an accusation you weren’t properly prepared.
Giovanni van Bronckhorst certainly didn’t miss his Rangers players with his post-match comments on Wednesday night.
But for all his words must have stung individuals in his team, they just have to take it.
From the team that started, Allan McGregor and Scott Arfield are the only two men who earned pass marks.
The rest should be hanging their heads in shame after that performance.
The lack of intensity in the Rangers team was incredible in a game that demanded the players fought for every ball.

Celtic were tremendous, let me say that here and now.
Everyone knows where my allegiance lies so that’s not an easy thing for me to admit — but it’s true.
Up for it, determined, focused, united as a team — they were everything Rangers weren’t. They grabbed the game by the throat and didn’t let go until they’d throttled the life out of my team. Sure, Rangers were better in the second half when Van Bronckhorst took off his worst offenders, but it was way too late.
Celtic had the game won by then and they knew it.
It’s easy to play when you’re 3-0 up, just as it’s easy to play when you’re 3-0 down.
Fair play to Ryan Jack, Fashion Sakala and Leon Balogun for making an impact but the game was already gone. The question now is whether Rangers’ title chances went with it?
That may sound like a big thing to say given Rangers were top of the league going into the derby and are only one point behind Celtic. But Ange Postecoglou has a team with its tail up.

There is energy there and a tremendous will to win and it’s hard to see that group of players letting their standards drop now.
For me, Rangers will probably need to win 13 of their remaining 14 league matches between now and the end of the season. And at least draw the other one with Celtic back at Parkhead.
Are they capable of that? If you’d asked me two days ago I wouldn’t have doubted it for a second, and it’s still possible.
But there are question marks over the manager now and the team after that abysmal Old Firm performance and result. In central defence, Connor Goldson and Calvin Bassey were a shambles — and don’t start me when it comes to the two full-backs.
If James Tavernier was bad, what about Borna Barisic? Wow, that’s pretty much all I can say about his night.
He was one of the ones taken off at the break and he was probably grateful, given the hiding he was getting.
Had it not been for Greegsy then Rangers could have been trailing by five or six before the second half even kicked off. For a game of that magnitude it was just unacceptable. I just looked at the team and didn’t see players who wanted to be there.

Look at Celtic. Callum McGregor played with a fractured cheekbone.
The fact he managed to get through the 90 minutes without anyone testing out that face mask is another story, but his commitment to the team was tremendous.
Daizen Maeda was on the bench having just flown into Scotland from Japan on the morning of the game. That’s the sort of thing that matters.
But at Rangers there doesn’t seem to be that mentality.
Ryan Kent is nowhere near it right now. Glen Kamara has been off it for weeks. I can’t believe I’m saying this given the criticism I’ve hit him with down the years but the way things are right now, Rangers’ title defence is all down to one man...
Alfredo Morelos needs to get himself back to Scotland from Colombia and get firing again.
The signs have been good this season and I hope for Rangers’ sake he returns in good shape and raring to go.
Aaron Ramsey is obviously going to be a major player too but why wasn’t he involved the other night?

The next time he goes back to Celtic Park it could be a title decider so why not have him on the bench at least on Wednesday to experience what the game was all about close-up?
His arrival is clearly a major boost but he needs to hit the ground running — Rangers have no time to waste.
I have my doubts over this Rangers team now, though.
At 1-0 down just four minutes from half-time, they should have closed ranks and got back to the away changing room.
Instead they conceded another two goals. That’s just weak. As a Rangers supporter, I must admit it was a hard watch, but one thing I did enjoy about was hearing McGregor refer to the derby as the Old Firm.
I thought that term had been banned by everyone at Celtic Park. I just hope Cal didn’t end up with rapped knuckles to go with his fractured cheekbone.
Can't disagree with any of that. Forget tactics for a second. If they haven't got the character to step up and a will to win then they shouldn't be there. So surely it comes down to mentality and bottle and I could not believe how weak we were and for me that needs to be addressed first big time before tactics. Gio certainly didn't send them out to play like that and you could see he was shocked and if we had the right strength in depth I'm sure he'd ring the changes. Is he ruthless enough to drop Tav for instance. I'd bring in Balogan and put Bassey at left back,he looked a lot better when he came on,Sakala has to start before Amad as well.

Hugely important matches in our season.

Three absolutely dreadful performances, so bad they were unimaginable:

Malmo (Gerrard in charge).
Hibs SF (between managers, new manager in stand to impress).
Celtic on Sunday (Van Bronckhorst in charge).

Forget the people in the dugout - there are quite a few players that have a lot to answer for when the chips are really down.

Wednesday's result should stay on the Ibrox notice board for the rest of this season!!!
Player's owe us a performance EVERY game,we need everyone of them to stand up and be counted/earn their wage.
I agree with you sentiments mate but see all these wee sound bites about notice boards, trenches, beaches, surrender, 14 cup finals and so on, they mean absolutely Jack shit to your modern day footballer. Zero.

Once the feeling and togetherness of a team goes, it goes, if Gio is the manger still come the summer he has an absolutely massive rebuilding job on his hands. Massive.

Forget the people in the dugout - there are quite a few players that have a lot to answer for when the chips are really down.
This is the biggest issue for me, too many players coasting or simply not good / consistent enough.

If SAF had been in that dressing room as a Ranger's Manager , football boots would have been bouncing off heads after that heartless performance .

Losing that game in isolation won't cost us the league - any potential damage was done at Aberdeen and Ross County away before hand. Them games are the real reason that Celtic went top because we frittered away our cushion due to pathetic displays.

I'm not saying the league is over but it won't be decided on that Old Firm game IMO even though we had a total meltdown in the first half and the players/management need to take a look at themselves - it's the draws against utter dross that we show far too much respect to most weeks.
Said the same yesterday. The other ten teams are shit. If we matched their effort and just attacked them constantly then we would win pretty much every single game, bar the odd freak one.

The amount of points we have dropped is ridiculous

Cant argue with much of it but you can be 1-0 down after 41 mins and go in to the dressing room 3-0 down which you would have known if you had been old enough to attend the 1969 Scottish Cup Final!!! I still have nightmares about that game:(
I don't think he's saying it’s never happened before, the point is it’s unacceptable.

Good points.

I'm hoping that whatever happens this summer, we eventually get some leadership on the field for next season.
And get rid of both the weak-minded and the transfer-distracted players that seem to be consistent in letting us down when they're needed.

Kris is obviously not old enough to remember the 1969 Scottish Cup Final.
That is exactly what happened that day.
0-1 down after 43 mins, and we went in 0-3 down at the break.
Watching us trudge off at h/t and that was my exact same thoughts. All I was waiting for was a sucker punch late on in the second half for the nightmare to become reality.

Watching us trudge off at h/t and that was my exact same thoughts. All I was waiting for was a sucker punch late on in the second half for the nightmare to become reality.

Difference being, that Cup Final, as horrendous as it was, we were kinda unlucky in that first half, we weren't that bad, we just gave away three disastrous goals, at the worst times possible.
But, that the other night, was as insipid a performance as I ever seen against that lot, from what I would consider a decent Rangers team.
That Rangers team of 1969 was a very good Rangers team, and going into that Final, we had already beaten 'their best ever team' three on the trot, home and away in the League, and just two weeks earlier beat them in the Glasgow Cup at the Piggery,
but we have seen the effect that such a horrific result can have.
That very good Rangers team of 1969 would go on to win only 2 of the next 15 Old Firm encounters!

Back