I have my doubts over this Rangers team after shambolic Celtic display – they should hang their heads in shame

This team have tasted what success means for us and to themselves!

If they can’t go out and deliver to achieve that accolade of being champions of one of the biggest and most successful clubs in the world and all that comes with that then they don’t deserve to be at the club or be putting on the jersey - these men are living the dream, getting paid to play football in front of thousands of fans every week - in a environment that most have never experienced or will experience outwith us and that should give them something to fight for on the pitch - FFS either step up Rangers and be proud or get well away from our club.

They should be tearing this league apart and using the 10 other teams in the league as a warm up each week until the play that mob 4 - 6 times a year, then unleash hell.

Not let tin pot teams give us a hard time and bully us out of jealousy and wanting to put on a show against us, teams should fear us.

The players should be made to sit down and face us all in a packed stadium (as we pay there wages and lifestyle) and hear what it means to us and what we expect from them day in day out when they put on that jersey and play for Rangers.

That would either make them or break them!

If I was playing and walked into that atmosphere on Wednesday I’d be thinking to myself ‘I’m going to shut these bastards right up’ as I walked onto the pitch, I’d be fired right up and use there anger against me to spur me on.

These players need a reality check - fuxk up this season and they can watch their careers implode, they will never get an opportunity like this again in their lives.

I am so angry with them as each and every one of us individually has more passion, drive, fight and will as to win than the whole bloody team against that mob, they made a bunch of cxnts of themselves, a laughing stock and are getting slated for it!

Have some bloody pride!!

• Kris Boyd

YOU can’t be 1-0 down in an Old Firm game after 41 minutes and go into the dressing room at half-time 3-0 behind.
You can’t be playing so badly the gaffer is justified in giving three players the hook at the break.

Just like you can’t have him pointing the finger at you after the final whistle with an accusation you weren’t properly prepared.
Giovanni van Bronckhorst certainly didn’t miss his Rangers players with his post-match comments on Wednesday night.
But for all his words must have stung individuals in his team, they just have to take it.
From the team that started, Allan McGregor and Scott Arfield are the only two men who earned pass marks.
The rest should be hanging their heads in shame after that performance.
The lack of intensity in the Rangers team was incredible in a game that demanded the players fought for every ball.

Celtic were tremendous, let me say that here and now.
Everyone knows where my allegiance lies so that’s not an easy thing for me to admit — but it’s true.
Up for it, determined, focused, united as a team — they were everything Rangers weren’t. They grabbed the game by the throat and didn’t let go until they’d throttled the life out of my team. Sure, Rangers were better in the second half when Van Bronckhorst took off his worst offenders, but it was way too late.
Celtic had the game won by then and they knew it.
It’s easy to play when you’re 3-0 up, just as it’s easy to play when you’re 3-0 down.
Fair play to Ryan Jack, Fashion Sakala and Leon Balogun for making an impact but the game was already gone. The question now is whether Rangers’ title chances went with it?
That may sound like a big thing to say given Rangers were top of the league going into the derby and are only one point behind Celtic. But Ange Postecoglou has a team with its tail up.

There is energy there and a tremendous will to win and it’s hard to see that group of players letting their standards drop now.
For me, Rangers will probably need to win 13 of their remaining 14 league matches between now and the end of the season. And at least draw the other one with Celtic back at Parkhead.
Are they capable of that? If you’d asked me two days ago I wouldn’t have doubted it for a second, and it’s still possible.
But there are question marks over the manager now and the team after that abysmal Old Firm performance and result. In central defence, Connor Goldson and Calvin Bassey were a shambles — and don’t start me when it comes to the two full-backs.
If James Tavernier was bad, what about Borna Barisic? Wow, that’s pretty much all I can say about his night.
He was one of the ones taken off at the break and he was probably grateful, given the hiding he was getting.
Had it not been for Greegsy then Rangers could have been trailing by five or six before the second half even kicked off. For a game of that magnitude it was just unacceptable. I just looked at the team and didn’t see players who wanted to be there.

Look at Celtic. Callum McGregor played with a fractured cheekbone.
The fact he managed to get through the 90 minutes without anyone testing out that face mask is another story, but his commitment to the team was tremendous.
Daizen Maeda was on the bench having just flown into Scotland from Japan on the morning of the game. That’s the sort of thing that matters.
But at Rangers there doesn’t seem to be that mentality.
Ryan Kent is nowhere near it right now. Glen Kamara has been off it for weeks. I can’t believe I’m saying this given the criticism I’ve hit him with down the years but the way things are right now, Rangers’ title defence is all down to one man...
Alfredo Morelos needs to get himself back to Scotland from Colombia and get firing again.
The signs have been good this season and I hope for Rangers’ sake he returns in good shape and raring to go.
Aaron Ramsey is obviously going to be a major player too but why wasn’t he involved the other night?

The next time he goes back to Celtic Park it could be a title decider so why not have him on the bench at least on Wednesday to experience what the game was all about close-up?
His arrival is clearly a major boost but he needs to hit the ground running — Rangers have no time to waste.
I have my doubts over this Rangers team now, though.
At 1-0 down just four minutes from half-time, they should have closed ranks and got back to the away changing room.
Instead they conceded another two goals. That’s just weak. As a Rangers supporter, I must admit it was a hard watch, but one thing I did enjoy about was hearing McGregor refer to the derby as the Old Firm.
I thought that term had been banned by everyone at Celtic Park. I just hope Cal didn’t end up with rapped knuckles to go with his fractured cheekbone.

Nithing in that thst I would disagree with - gives the team it with both barrels and they can't say it isn't fully deserved.

Is it the team or is it the manager .remember this is nearly the same team that one the league last season.
But many of the same team who, both years before that, fell away post-New Year.

Tav, Goldson, Barasic, Kamara, Aribo, Arfield and McGregor were all part of the team that lost its way under Gerrard in the second half of the season AND part of the team that stuttered against Ross County before collapsing against Celtic (and all but Aribo in the team that dropped points before that at Aberdeen, too).

For all the tactical failings of Gio, now isn't the first time we've questioned the bottle of this core group.

I don't disagree.

I keep banging on about it as well but if we had a different keeper in we'd be sitting 3 points clear. McGregor has cost us big time yet he's bulletproof because of former glories.
I have to agree with you , he can still pull off great saves but his all round game is in decline and has been for over a year. Spilling shots and poor positional sense are becoming regular occurrences .

Even on Wednesday night you could argue he was to blame for the second goal . It was a good goal but he was well off his line if he had been further back there is a good chance he would have got a hand to it .

Some love in with the scum right now. People forget in their previous two games Hearts missed a penalty to equalise against them and it took an injury time winner to beat Dundee Utd at home. We were awful last night and made them look a hell of a lot better than they are. We are in a poor run of form but things will change.
Thanks mate.
100%.

To be honest mate I think it's both .
If you’re going to blame van Bronckhurst you might as well blame those who hired him.
Nobody told Barisic not to cover the guy who was behind him.
Nobody told Kamara or Aribo not to track their midfield runners.
Nobody told Goldson not to get closer to the shooter at their second goal.
Nobody told Tavernier not to get closer to the crosser for their third.
We can blame the manager’s tactics all we want, and he deserves questions being asked of him, but each goal lost there was made easy by our players not doing what they should have done.

McGregor should have saved the second and came and collected the third.

2 or 3 decent saves does not make up for that.

Old pals act.
No and no.
Second goal, partially unsighted and the ball clipped round a defender who should have been closer to blocking the shot.
Third goal was an out swinging cross and I’m not sure it did bounce in the six yard box as has been suggested.
Barisic absolutely atrocious at that one.

My main concern from all of this is that there’s a disconnect between the management and the players.

We looked well worthy of the six point lead we took into the winter break and the feeling was that the three weeks off would give Gio and his backroom team the time to really work with the players and get them in step with his ideas and vision.

Instead they’ve returned looking horribly disjointed and seemingly lacking direction.

The worry there then is that the players either don’t understand what it is the manager wants them to do, or they’re not just buying into it.

We’ve been here before though, just two years ago.

We went into the winter break then with the raucous applause of a resounding win at Parkhead still ringing in our ears only to emerge looking just as shambolic as we do now.

Calls for Gerrard to be axed grew by the day along with an insistence that he simply didn’t have what it took.

So perhaps we need to take a lesson from the past - I know that’s difficult for some on here - and give the Dutchman a wee bit longer to see if he can turn this around?

It’s all on Aaron Ramsey to make the difference on and off the pitch. He needs to raise the standards and act like an unofficial captain. In games he needs to score goals and drive the team forward and be the archetypal box-to-box midfielder he was at Arsenal. He needs to be that guy who turns a 1-1 into a 2-1 win.

If he’s not on it from the off or gets injured we’re done.
Is he fit enough to play, that’s the question.

We can have Messi in the team but if he’s needing 4 weeks to hit fitness he’s not much use.

We should have brought Soutar in as soon as that window opened and paid the money to get him.

My main concern from all of this is that there’s a disconnect between the management and the players.

We looked well worthy of the six point lead we took into the winter break and the feeling was that the three weeks off would give Gio and his backroom team the time to really work with the players and get them in step with his ideas and vision.

Instead they’ve returned looking horribly disjointed and seemingly lacking direction.

The worry there then is that the players either don’t understand what it is the manager wants them to do, or they’re not just buying into it.

We’ve been here before though, just two years ago.

We went into the winter break then with the raucous applause of a resounding win at Parkhead still ringing in our ears only to emerge looking just as shambolic as we do now.

Calls for Gerrard to be axed grew by the day along with an insistence that he simply didn’t have what it took.

So perhaps we need to take a lesson from the past - I know that’s difficult for some on here - and give the Dutchman a wee bit longer to see if he can turn this around?
Agree with your point on the disconnect, worryingly it does look that way.

There were some poor performances under Gerrard eg Hamilton at home, Hearts in the cup, but I don’t think anything comes close to that first half on Wednesday, it was so poor it really does make me think that GVB won’t be winning this league for us.

I think we’ll have a better idea of where we’re going after Dundee United away.

McGregor should have saved the second and came and collected the third.

2 or 3 decent saves does not make up for that.

Old pals act.
I thought he was poor again for all the goals

Made a couple of decent saves but nothing spectacular

He needs dropped imo any rangers goal keeper who loses six goals in two games doesn’t keep his place

We can have Messi in the team but if he’s needing 4 weeks to hit fitness he’s not much use.

We should have brought Soutar in as soon as that window opened and paid the money to get him.
Balagon should have started he’s a proper c/h,bassey needs to start at l/b,but if the heart isn’t in it there’s not much the manager or club can do bar getting rid at the end of the season,barrisic is like playing a man down HE is the main problem he should be told to pack his bags and go with immediate affect.

• Kris Boyd

YOU can’t be 1-0 down in an Old Firm game after 41 minutes and go into the dressing room at half-time 3-0 behind.
You can’t be playing so badly the gaffer is justified in giving three players the hook at the break.

Just like you can’t have him pointing the finger at you after the final whistle with an accusation you weren’t properly prepared.
Giovanni van Bronckhorst certainly didn’t miss his Rangers players with his post-match comments on Wednesday night.
But for all his words must have stung individuals in his team, they just have to take it.
From the team that started, Allan McGregor and Scott Arfield are the only two men who earned pass marks.
The lack of intensity in the Rangers team was incredible in a game that demanded the players fought for every ball.

Everyone knows where my allegiance lies so that’s not an easy thing for me to admit — but it’s true.
Up for it, determined, focused, united as a team — they were everything Rangers weren’t. They grabbed the game by the throat and didn’t let go until they’d throttled the life out of my team. Sure, Rangers were better in the second half when Van Bronckhorst took off his worst offenders, but it was way too late.
It’s easy to play when you’re 3-0 up, just as it’s easy to play when you’re 3-0 down.
Fair play to Ryan Jack, Fashion Sakala and Leon Balogun for making an impact but the game was already gone. The question now is whether Rangers’ title chances went with it?
That may sound like a big thing to say given Rangers were top of the league going into the derby and are only one point behind Celtic. But Ange Postecoglou has a team with its tail up.

There is energy there and a tremendous will to win and it’s hard to see that group of players letting their standards drop now.
For me, Rangers will probably need to win 13 of their remaining 14 league matches between now and the end of the season. And at least draw the other one with Celtic back at Parkhead.
Are they capable of that? If you’d asked me two days ago I wouldn’t have doubted it for a second, and it’s still possible.
But there are question marks over the manager now and the team after that abysmal Old Firm performance and result. In central defence, Connor Goldson and Calvin Bassey were a shambles — and don’t start me when it comes to the two full-backs.
If James Tavernier was bad, what about Borna Barisic? Wow, that’s pretty much all I can say about his night.
He was one of the ones taken off at the break and he was probably grateful, given the hiding he was getting.
Had it not been for Greegsy then Rangers could have been trailing by five or six before the second half even kicked off. For a game of that magnitude it was just unacceptable. I just looked at the team and didn’t see players who wanted to be there.

The fact he managed to get through the 90 minutes without anyone testing out that face mask is another story, but his commitment to the team was tremendous.
Daizen Maeda was on the bench having just flown into Scotland from Japan on the morning of the game. That’s the sort of thing that matters.
Ryan Kent is nowhere near it right now. Glen Kamara has been off it for weeks. I can’t believe I’m saying this given the criticism I’ve hit him with down the years but the way things are right now, Rangers’ title defence is all down to one man...
Alfredo Morelos needs to get himself back to Scotland from Colombia and get firing again.
The signs have been good this season and I hope for Rangers’ sake he returns in good shape and raring to go.
Aaron Ramsey is obviously going to be a major player too but why wasn’t he involved the other night?

The next time he goes back to Celtic Park it could be a title decider so why not have him on the bench at least on Wednesday to experience what the game was all about close-up?
His arrival is clearly a major boost but he needs to hit the ground running — Rangers have no time to waste.
At 1-0 down just four minutes from half-time, they should have closed ranks and got back to the away changing room.
Instead they conceded another two goals. That’s just weak. As a Rangers supporter, I must admit it was a hard watch, but one thing I did enjoy about was hearing McGregor refer to the derby as the Old Firm.
I thought that term had been banned by everyone at Celtic Park. I just hope Cal didn’t end up with rapped knuckles to go with his fractured cheekbone.
It could have been written on here and it's absolutely spot on.

Balagon should have started he’s a proper c/h,bassey needs to start at l/b,but if the heart isn’t in it there’s not much the manager or club can do bar getting rid at the end of the season,barrisic is like playing a man down HE is the main problem he should be told to pack his bags and go with immediate affect.
It's up to the manager to ensure the players are fired up and prepared.

• Kris Boyd

Everything about their preparation pre-match was there to see. From lining up and all of them bouncing about like they’d just eaten a pack of skittles. Then the drama and theatre with the huddle - all going dark except for a green light beam on them. They have been majorly focused on this moment (even the winter break fiasco and being brought forward meant all their focus was on this and they were not going to lose). Our players standing about waiting, not got the fight and anger and determination in them pre match. What a contrast. Only one winner there. We were rabbits in the headlight. They had planned this to the nth degree. But it’s only one game - the real fight now is how we match up v Hearts.?

I really don't see why he is giving Arfield pass marks. He run about a lot and than was about all he contributed. Plus shagger was at fault for at least one of the goals.

Nobody really gets pass marks except for Ryan Jack.

The team peaked last season. Its time to rebuild the defence Goldson out move Tarvenier out The thing is no one has ever came in for Tarvenier speaks volumes he has been through the journey he has peaked and had brilliant games but this season nothing players can't keep getting picked due to past yes past successes the team is now regressing we can't even beat Ross County that's a story in its self.

Knew this was going to be Ferguson or Boyd. Can't argue with any of it.
It’s spot on and one thing sticks out in his article that game possibly or probably cost us the league. He’s also highlighted the key players who are absolutely awful this season Kent Kamara Borna so I speculated were they playing for Steven Gerrard’s Rangers rather than Rangers and now want to be away? Let’s face it the SPFL is a diddy league and Scotland is a backwater.

Certain players deserve criticism. I hope the like of Jack and Arfield called out a few of them in the dressing room, especially the so called big hitters.

2 more days of self loathing.
Bring on match day, we know it was terrible but it’s done now and rehashing the same faults doesn’t take the pain away.

Is the press conference tomorrow or Saturday? Will listen to that on H&H and then look forward to an actual game of football. The time for words and finger pointing are over for me.
The important thing is to learn from it.

For GVB - maybe these tactics worked at Feyenoord, maybe he had the right players for that system, maybe Dutch football was more suited to that approach. But Scottish football isn’t. And we don’t have the players for it.

For the players: they should know by this time what it means to play for Rangers. The performances against Aberdeen and Celtic suggest they don’t. Win the physical battle. Press. Take the game to the opposition. And do the basic things right FFS.

Postecoglou said that Hatate is not fit yet and he’s been subbing him off every game he plays so it will be the case. The guy went weeks without playing games when the Japanese season ended. Yet he still does the business for them.

A 75% Ramsey shits all over all of the midfielders in our team, hence he must play. The next two games are hard and absolutely crucial. If we drop further behind after Hearts and Hibs this coming week, we can kiss goodbye to the title and what is the use of Ramsay then? To play against Annan?

Knew this was going to be Ferguson or Boyd. Can't argue with any of it.
Yes we can. He says McGregor and Arfieldgot pass marks.
McGregor could have saved all the goals. He made some decent saves but they were all straight at him. He also gave the ball back to them the most.
Arfield also was the worst outfield performer in loosing the ball.
The rest is dead on.

Postecoglou said that Hatate is not fit yet and he’s been subbing him off every game he plays so it will be the case. The guy went weeks without playing games when the Japanese season ended. Yet he still does the business for them.

A 75% Ramsey shits all over all of the midfielders in our team, hence he must play. The next two games are hard and absolutely crucial. If we drop further behind after Hearts and Hibs this coming week, we can kiss goodbye to the title and what is the use of Ramsay then? To play against Annan?
Very good point about Hatate, but suspect you’re wrong on Ramsay. He’ll struggle badly under gio’s tactics

We need to risk Ramsey, even off the bench for these vital games. It's pointless having him otherwise. If we drop points the league is slipping away.

The important thing is to learn from it.

For GVB - maybe these tactics worked at Feyenoord, maybe he had the right players for that system, maybe Dutch football was more suited to that approach. But Scottish football isn’t. And we don’t have the players for it.

For the players: they should know by this time what it means to play for Rangers. The performances against Aberdeen and Celtic suggest they don’t. Win the physical battle. Press. Take the game to the opposition. And do the basic things right FFS.
He had some really good players at Feyenoord , Steven Bergius being one . His Feyenoord team passed the ball well it wasn't always defensive. Watch the highlights of the 6-2 game against Ajax it has some really good passages of play in it . Ajax pressed Feyenoord high up the pitch and they didn't capitulate under pressure . That game was in his third season as manager so it possibly took time to get his tactics across and he possibly had better technical players .

Last edited:
It’s all on Aaron Ramsey to make the difference on and off the pitch. He needs to raise the standards and act like an unofficial captain. In games he needs to score goals and drive the team forward and be the archetypal box-to-box midfielder he was at Arsenal. He needs to be that guy who turns a 1-1 into a 2-1 win.

If he’s not on it from the off or gets injured we’re done.
Its s massive gamble to say the least

given how utter p*sh we were for some to simply focus attention on McGregor is really weird and comes across a bit agendyish TBH, he was the only thing that stopped it being an absolute dicking

i.e a couple of saves "right at him" came about because Tav made an utter c*nt of whatever it he was trying to do, probably best just to prevent the save right at him happening in the first place TBH

Last edited:

With hindsight perhaps Donny Van Da Beek would have been a better loan for six months, if it's possible to have two loans from the same club? He came through Ajax's academy and therefore has already worked with Dave Vos

We need to risk Ramsey, even off the bench for these vital games. It's pointless having him otherwise. If we drop points the league is slipping away.
Will the player want to be risked?he's here to get fit for Wales&to put himself in the shop window,he'll might want to be firing on all cylinders before he starts?

We are far too aggressively passive, we looked like a team of conscientious objectors in a war zone. Meek, mild and tame, he which hath no stomach to this fight, let them depart this club.make room for players that have the fight

In summary, our arses drapped, and Celtic know they have us by the balls.

That wasn't just a defeat - it was a humiliation.

It will take something approaching a minor miracle to turn this around and win the league.

It's with them now, and Gio and the players have shat the bed.

Back