Wayne Rooney

Never thought he had the brains or what it takes to be a manager, pleasantly surprised he is proving me and many others wrong. Hope he does it

I felt the same. Always thought he seemed a bit, well, dim :).

However, there is no denying he is doing an incredible job in terrible circumstances.

Like most on here, I’m finding myself really hoping that Derby make it.

I’m beginning to think he might just do it.

Fair play to him, on talksport they were saying that he buys the gym equipment and, unless i never heard the guy right, All the supporters clubs have his phone number
Found myself following their results in recent weeks. Was never a fan of his but he gets my respect for the way he has conducted himself since Derby's problems have been mounting up. He could easily have baled or looked at the Everton job.

I hope Derby will do it - provided that Ashley doesn’t get his paws into them

Fair play to the poet sympathising Shrek lookalike, he’s proving to be a much better coach than I ever managed he would be.

Fair play to the poet sympathising Shrek lookalike, he’s proving to be a much better coach than I ever managed he would be.
He was very complementary and very respectful about Walter in the recent documentary, kind of softened my dislike of his love for the other mob

A club I've always been fond of going right back to the days of Kevin Hector.

I wish the club and their supporters all the very best.

There may still be more madness imposed upon them, but I hope they find a buyer and stay up. Their record in the league is more than enough to see them safe if they finish the season the way they have gone through it so far.

He may be worth a fortune but he's proven that he is working class at heart and understands what football is all about. In their hour of need he has been there for them at every turn, so much so that he has chosen to turn down what will likely be his dream job (managing Everton).

I want Derby to do this for Rooney's sake, he's put so much in to it that he deserves it.

The FA are after his thoughts now, as he’s said in an interview that he changed his studs to legal but slightly longer ones to hurt someone if a big challenge was on vs Chelsea in a game 16 years ago. He injured John Terry and sent him a signed shirt after, Terry has laughed it off on Twitter. Are they really going to fine or warn him for it now? Bet there’s tonnes of old pros that have said they deliberately stuck one on a player back when it was actually a tough game.

Meanwhile a bloke who volleyed a cat on film has just played the full 90.

I checked the table tonight and was surprised at low number of games they have lost.

too many draws but in their situation each point is going to be valuable.

Smart move knocking back Everton at this stage tbh.

No expectation as such with derby. Will get far more credit in the bank keeping them up.

And if he doesn’t he’s shown enough with hands tied to get a decent gig after I guess

He seems like a proper Alex Ferguson type manager. I always remember Derby on that mud field in the 70’s playing European games. Couple of great friendly games in the last ten years as well.

Hope they stay up.

Best case scenario obviously is that he keeps them up and they find a decent buyer and not Mike Ashley. With any luck he'll die soon and that'll end any possibility of him taking over.

He has done incredible with the squad he has, everyone is either 19/20 or 30+ years old and not many ages in between.

What a job he has done. Paying things out of his own pocket too. People will say he is a multi-millionaire but he doesn't need to do it and some in his position wouldn't.
It would actually be a disappointment now if they didn't stay up as they are so close and without the points deduction they are a mid-table side.
If that fat mess Ashley buys them though god help them.

Only the two absolutely unnecessary Celtic comments in the first ten replies? This sites going to the dogs.

Rooney always seemed such an instinctive player that I never thought management would suit him. Always seemed like he’d struggle to get across to players well below his talent what he was after. Fair play to him for sticking with Derby

Great result tonight and I suspect quite a few neutrals are cheering him and Derby on. What an achievement it will be if he manages it.
I'm not a Rooney fan at all but I want him too keep them up I think he going to do it as well

Hard not to root for him now. Loyalty is rare in football these days but fair play to him for knocking back the chance to speak with his boyhood club Everton.

You can tell he's got a genuine connection with Derby. I'm sure he put quite a bit of his own money in to pay the players etc?

From -21points to +18, they would be mid table, which would be admirable considering the poor squad and inability to buy.

I felt the same. Always thought he seemed a bit, well, dim :).

He definitely lacks in common sense but there is no denying he has a good football brain. He also has a nasty streak which is needed in management.

If he keeps Derby up it will be an amazing achievement. Unthinkable from the position they were in.

I checked the table tonight and was surprised at low number of games they have lost.

too many draws but in their situation each point is going to be valuable.
Their goal difference is 0 I’m sure which is pretty mental considering the teams around them are into -20s

The surprising thing is Derby look a solid unit - all players know their job and not too many weaknesses in that team. They certainly don't look like a team in crisis.

Still think it's going to be virtually impossible to keep them up though - look's like 3 from 4 and a few teams have 2 or 3 games in hand.

I don’t wish any ill on Derby but Rooney is a loathesome individual, from drink driving to grannyshagging and Celtc supporting.

Without the deduction they'd be 6 points off the playoffs.

The fact we're even discussing them staying up is absolutely incredible.

If you were a Peterborough or a Barnsley fan you'd be disgusted that you're somehow in relegation contention alongside and potentially ending up behind a team who started 21 points behind you.

Back