Diallo

I had high hopes for him after the hype over his signing and his debut goal. Can see him being another Oduwa/Zelam who comes from an English Prem club but struggles with the Scottish game

Bit premature. He's played two games. Was good in one and overwhelmed in the other. But both games featured absolutely shocking collective efforts from the team.

I now think the league title is a battle of how best to use the squads available to GVB and Postecoglu in the remaining games. Pretty much every game needs to be won and that won't be achieved with 11 or 13 players; I'm sure Diallo and Sands and certainly Ramsey will have roles to play even though they're highly unlikely to feature in every game. And not playing in a game doesn't mean they're garbage and need to be sent packing.

I think Diallo will be a big player for us. He looked great against Ross County and the scum game is no game to judge him on. I was disappointed he didn’t feature tonight. He proved against County that he is one of our better players when it comes to beating a man and I love how direct he was in Dingwall with his sole focus being to get past a man, cut inside and shoot.

Best thing about Diallo is that it means Wright has been bombed out of the squad altogether. Diallo will prove to be a useful player for creating goals IMO. Still plenty of games left. I think Diallo could be important in Dortmund.

When we signed him I wasn’t convinced he’d be a guaranteed starting 11 player every week. Had multiple posters on the transfer thread calling me out for daring to suggest that

I’m surprised he didn’t get any game time tonight but rightfully behind Sakala.

I expect Diallo will play at the weekend but I’m still not convinced he’ll be a starter every week.

He’a obviously a good player but I think he needs time to adapt to our style and the game up here. I think it would have suited us if his loan was longer as half a season really might not be enough time for us to utilise him properly.
Both he and Ramsey would have been better coming as loans last summer allowing them to do a pre season bringing loans in January they need to hit the ground running especially if they are here only for a few months

Going by some of the comments people panicking cos diallo and ramsey havent played alot surely all that matters the now is that we win games, these players will get game time

Amad was an exciting stop gap imo.

No harm at all to the boy but we all know he won't be here next season. So other than short bursts of impact here and there, it's probably wiser to send him out in the last half hour against the jobbers or when his skill set suits the game plan. He's not here to be a pivotal piece of the puzzle.

I'm always wary of becoming overly reliant on loan players anyway. Throwing him in at Parkhead was a baptism of fire, if it had gone the other way the young lad and Gio would be getting praised. It's the flipside of things now and he's got something to prove. He's a talented boy but he'll need to improve his work rate if he's going to feature in any future big games for us.
I’m exactly the same, if it’s a loan move without the opportunity to buy at the end of the loan, I’m always afraid of us becoming reliant on the player and missing him badly when he returns to his club. Totally agree he’d be better used sparingly when needed.

Think the criticism of him is very harsh, yes he was poor against Celtic but so were 11 others. Thought he was good against Ross Co

So what do we do just play him because he is from Man United? He will get his chance in the cup and he has to grab that chance. Arfield has worked in this position.

Confidence would've taken a hit after Parkhead and he's a young lad. It'll take a few weeks to build it back up.

So what do we do just play him because he is from Man United? He will get his chance in the cup and he has to grab that chance. Arfield has worked in this position.
Spot on. He has to earn his place. Arfield is the better option for now.

Tonight was a risky game to bring him on. HIVS were kicking lumps out of our players and the ref was letting them

Gio's subs were Gerrard slow tonight, Arfield should have been off 55-60mins for Ramsey, Aribo not much later for Amad, contributed very little all match. Kent for Fashion around 75.
How so?
There was still a game to be won, and protected.
GvB has been criticis Ed in the not too distant past for changing things and them going wrong.
Tonight, he had a winning hand and kept it.
You know better, of course.

He’ll play his park.

He’s a talented boy. But arfield is showing him how to play without the ball. I’d start him at the weekend, he’ll rip the lesser sides to bits.

Looked our most promising attacking threat until he went off in Dingwall.

Everyone was shite v celtic. The service out to the lad was dire.

Should have been give some minutes last night at 2-0.

Certainly not writing him off at all.

I think the Dortmund game is made for him.

Jeezo, the usual overreactions.

The boy was our biggest threat in his debut, scored one and created another. He's a massive talent who will offer plenty over the next few months.

The whole team were dreadful last week, not just him. We'd be writing the entire squad off of it was based on that game.

People forget he was actually our best player against Ross County. The OF match made Gio question whether he can get away with 2 wingers in the big games

Hopefully he starts on Saturday

Diallo has played in two matches. The first one he scored and was very good. The second he was poor but was in a team that was garbage. Not exactly sure why he is being written off here.

Reactions: VGM
Had my doubts that a 19 year old loanee would make much impact, but the Champ Manager types seemed to think he would be brilliant for us. Hope he comes good, but I do think he might find Scottish football too tough and won't have time to adapt.

Game 1: "He's brilliant! Has to start at the piggery! He'll destroy Greg Taylor!"

Game 2: "He's pish! Should never have started! Get him aff! Looks like a lost wee boy!"

Game 4: "How's he no getting a game?"

I don’t know what some were expecting RE: Diallo?

He’s barely played any football, he’s a Manchester United under 23 player that many looked at his transfer fee over his appearances/performances etc.

He’s clearly got ability but he doesn’t get near the first team when everyone is available.

Two games?
One where nobody performed?
Great analysis.
I’m entitled to my opinion. When was the last time we brought in an 18 year old reserve player and he was a success? We all want him to do well but many of us have reservations. I live down in Manchester and a lot of utd fans I know think he was another waste of money.
Jeezo, the usual overreactions.

The boy was our biggest threat in his debut, scored one and created another. He's a massive talent who will offer plenty over the next few months.

The whole team were dreadful last week, not just him. We'd be writing the entire squad off of it was based on that game.
Or on the flip side the usual FF unfounded hysteria who have the kid as the next maradona. 2 games are too few to judge but why hasn’t he started the last 2?

He will play a part but not sure how big of a part that will be.

Clearly has talent but looks like a wee boy tbh.

Behind Sakala, and rightly so.

I said in another thread, GvB’s subs are a joke.

He has taken Gerrard’s cautiousness to a whole new level.

We only got 3 subs tonight because 1 was an injury.

When you were allowed 3 subs we generally made 2, sometimes 1, when it went back to 5 it has usually been 3, think Hearts the only exception,

Sands 2 starts, points dropped bombed, Amad 2 starts points dropped, bombed. Maybe they shouldn’t have been flung straight in when they were.

Disagree.

We were only 2 up and only had one further opportunity for a sub.

We concede a goal and it makes it a tight game. If we had used all our sub opportunities then lost a player to injury or a red card we would have had no options to change things and put ourselves under major pressure.

Needed a 3rd goal to really kill it and get the other subs on the park.

He honestly looks about 14 years old.

Last night wasn't the game for him, it was pretty physical and fast paced.

I'm actually just relieved that Gio isn't being forced to shoehorn him into the team due to any minutes played clauses.

I'd much rather see Sakala than Dallio.

This will be a failed experiment unfortunately. Just because he cost £18m doesn’t make him a player that fits with us
If your valued at £18m then surly you must have something that makes you stand out. I'm not asking that Diallo be an instant match winner, but is it too much to expect that he can come in with circa 15 mins or so left and make a positive contribution.

Yes I know, it's still early days and he may just need a period of adjustment to the SPL - I hope this its the case because some of the decisions made by our recruiting and scouting guys over the past year are distinctly under whelming

Funny, everybody on this board were creaming themselves when he signed, the same as when Ramsey signed.
Not me. Read his signing thread, I took pelters from all angles for saying i wasn't impressed based on the fact he was 19, built like the side of a fiver, and had only played 7 games of mens fitba across 2 teams.

Loan signings rarely work for us, especially a development loan. You don't come to Rangers to "develop" for 6 months. Its sink or swim in a brutal environment where every scratch of your arse is over analysed.

Gio's subs were Gerrard slow tonight, Arfield should have been off 55-60mins for Ramsey, Aribo not much later for Amad, contributed very little all match. Kent for Fashion around 75.

Ramsey was blowing out his arse after 10 minutes and wasn't ready to play 30 minutes yet last night.
He needs at least 45 minutes on Saturday, as he is still well off peak fitness.

Arfield was involved in plenty for us going forward and also ensured Josh Doig was anonymous down the left for Hibs.

After watching Diallo not track back once with Taylor at the piggery and constantly leaving Tavernier 2 on 1 against Jota and Taylor, I certainly wouldn't have been trusting him to work back and cover Doig's forward runs.

Aah, I was wondering where this weeks hottest of hot mental takes thread was.

Didn’t think it would be about someone who didn’t play. My mistake.

Both he and Ramsey would have been better coming as loans last summer allowing them to do a pre season bringing loans in January they need to hit the ground running especially if they are here only for a few months
Yeah I agree ideally that would have been best. It’s always difficult for someone to come in for 6 months and really make a difference.

When we signed him I wasn’t convinced he’d be a guaranteed starting 11 player every week. Had multiple posters on the transfer thread calling me out for daring to suggest that

I’m surprised he didn’t get any game time tonight but rightfully behind Sakala.

I expect Diallo will play at the weekend but I’m still not convinced he’ll be a starter every week.

Agree Dave

Aah, I was wondering where this weeks hottest of hot mental takes thread was.

Didn’t think it would be about someone who didn’t play. My mistake.
That’s not the point. The point is he was a major risk signing, nothing other than an over inflated transfer fee to suggest he has anything about him. What’s the point of him being here for 6 months if he can’t hit the ground running. Same with Ramsey, needs to get 80 minute match fit in the next week

That’s not the point. The point is he was a major risk signing, nothing other than an over inflated transfer fee to suggest he has anything about him. What’s the point of him being here for 6 months if he can’t hit the ground running. Same with Ramsey, needs to get 80 minute match fit in the next week

Diallo was a "major risk" signing? Really? It's also fiction to suggest the only indication of his ability is the fact Manchester United paid a big fee. The reports from most of their supporters have been glowing and there are plenty of other critics out there who rate him as a generational talent.

People just don't like Rangers using the loan market and then go out their way to be overly critical of the youngster once they arrive. It was the exact same with Vlad Weiss years back.

BTW, he actually did hit the ground running up at Dingwall.

I think with these young players people look at the price tag and get lost, most of his £37 million value is based on potential - not being a finished player.

Good player to have waiting. Looked great in his first game, obviously not against them but no one did. How is it a major risk? It is an extremely low risk loan. As long as the team is winning I don’t really care who plays and who dosn’t. Competition for places is the best it has been all season.

Sakala looks much better when playing though the middle rather than out wide, last night I thought Gio might have subbed on Sakala for Morelos and subbed on Diallo to play RW.

Need to preserve Morelos from suspension or injury and sub him off when the games look secure, Sakala looks like a very capable replacement.

Back