New champions League format - Good or Bad for us?

Bri RTID

Official Ticketer
New champions league format to start in 24/25 season

but am uneasy with it as it means 4 extra games in the so called new champions league or super league to some and added to our schedule but no dates as of yet to when we will play the extra 4 games.

what are our views?

ADMIN EDIT TO INSERT GRAPHIC.

free image uploading sites

Last edited by a moderator:
An article I read made it sound quite good for us.

There are spaces in the Champions League for 2 teams with the highest co-efficient rankings who didn’t qualify for the champions league via their league, but still qualified for the Europa League or Conference League.

We still have our points total for the year we were eliminated by that Lux mob. That drops off soon when we should, theoretically at least, move up the rankings.

So even if we don’t win the league, we might still get into the champions league due to our co-efficient points (I think).

It's not a bad idea but why it's limited to 2 teams and you still have 20 automatically qualifying from the big 5 is stupid.

Finding it difficult to get my head round if im being honest, only seen a summary on Twitter

If its another 4 games plus qualifying we could be starting in Europe before we finish the previous years league
As usual they think it will benefit the big teams
Basically it’s a move towards one big European league.

All three tournaments are moving into this new format, it’s not just the champions league.

Three leagues of 36 teams participating.

As I say within a decade domestic football will be secondary.

If we’ve outgrown this tinpot league why do you believe we’ve no chance of winning it ?

Its not a strange post it’s a direct reply to your comment .
You are weirding me out now :oops:so I’ll pop you on ignore. It will save you making any further embarrassing/stalking type posts.

It will be sh1te. I dont see the point in diluting the importances of CL games. Where in the fixture list are these games fitting in. Were already playing 2/3 times a week. Add in International fixtues and players will be running on empty half way through a season. I dont think games will sell out any more.
just to suit the big clubs greed again.

It will be sh1te. I dont see the point in diluting the importances of CL games. Where in the fixture list are these games fitting in. Were already playing 2/3 times a week. Add in International fixtues and players will be running on empty half way through a season. I dont think games will sell out any more.
just to suit the big clubs greed again.
It’ll be excellent. Domestic fixtures will be forced to take a back seat, for example it may have to be the B team who play in the league cup. It may also force the SPFL to increase the division to 16 or 18 teams and just play each other twice snd Ditch the ludicrous split , as it already should be.

With all three competitions moving to a 36 team league set up it’s also a fantastic chance for the likes of hearts, hibs to be playing regular European football in the conference division. So it won’t just be the old firm who realise that the domestic game needs to lose fixtures.

Best news in years for us as far as I can see this new set up. Can’t wait.

Last edited:
It’ll be excellent. Domestic fixtures will be forced to take a back seat, for example it may have to be the B team who play in the league cup. It may also force the SPFL to increase the division to 16 or 18 teams and just play each other twice snd Dutch the ludicrous split , as it already should be.

With all three competitions moving to a 36 team league set up it’s also a fantastic chance for the likes of hearts, hibs to be playing regular European football in the conference division. So it won’t just be the old firm who realise that the domestic game needs to lose fixtures.

a back seat? in what way

Basically it’s a move towards one big European league.

All three tournaments are moving into this new format, it’s not just the champions league.

Three leagues of 36 teams participating.

As I say within a decade domestic football will be secondary.
We will need to do something with the domestic setup

The number of games is already ridiculous

a back seat? in what way
We all see the finance involved in playing group/league stage European football. It’s an enormous boost. You can make more money in just gate receipts for one home CL game than you get for winning the league cup, for example.

As I said in my post it will be a case of withdraw from the league cup or enter the B team into it. We will also need to look at league restructure so that we play 34 games a season not 38. Europe is where it’s at for us moving forward.

Last edited:

Totally agree with this. The old argument “ ah but we need four old firm games “ will be dead in the water as it’s dwarfed by what we will make in Europe. We will eventually move towards a 16 or 18 team top flight play each other twice giving 30 or 34 league fixtures and the league cup will be canned or B teams play in it.

And to be honest, not before time. The Scottish set up will eventually be dragged albeit kicking and screaming into the modern era.

I can see a clash coming though,
SFA/SPFL is adamant we all should be respecting the league cup competition never mind playing our B team in it or pulling out altogether.

Finding it difficult to get my head round if im being honest, only seen a summary on Twitter

If its another 4 games plus qualifying we could be starting in Europe before we finish the previous years league

It’s definitely a compromise for the bigger teams but especially for those just below the elite clubs.

I think it’s exciting.

It’s not home & away so a bigger range of sides to compete against. Players will enjoy it, finances will be good… I can’t see any downside for us.

It’ll be excellent. Domestic fixtures will be forced to take a back seat, for example it may have to be the B team who play in the league cup. It may also force the SPFL to increase the division to 16 or 18 teams and just play each other twice snd Dutch the ludicrous split , as it already should be.

I'm with you on this. The European games should and will be the priority.

Scotland has shafted us, financially and the refs all favour celtic week in week out. We are stuck playing the same shitey teams aswell. Let's move on to better things

Anything that takes us away from turgid domestic garbage and closer to European football is great with me.

We have outgrown the tinpot, hateful cesspit we currently play in.
When we starting winning it regularly again I'll agree with you

Totally agree with this. The old argument “ ah but we need four old firm games “ will be dead in the water as it’s dwarfed by what we will make in Europe. We will eventually move towards a 16 or 18 team top flight play each other twice giving 30 or 34 league fixtures and the league cup will be canned or B teams play in it.

And to be honest, not before time. The Scottish set up will eventually be dragged albeit kicking and screaming into the modern era.
Happens in my lifetime I'll be pleasantly surprised

Scotland has shafted us, financially and the refs all favour celtic week in week out. We are stuck playing the same shitey teams aswell. Let's move on to better things
Exactly this.

a priority?

Agree on this. The domestic game will have to adapt or sink further into irrelevance. Unfortunately with those in control, it’ll likely be the latter.

I can see a clash coming though,
SFA/SPFL is adamant we all should be respecting the league cup competition never mind playing our B team in it or pulling out altogether.
If nothing else recent instances have shown that coin is the main driver and only thing clubs are interested in, for good or for bad, even our own.

The SFA/SPL with their tinpot money and awful sponsorship deals will just need to adjust.

First thought - we need to buck our ideas and make sure we are there.

Second thought - castore are gonna have a field day with the new CL format collection.

Corse itll benefit the rich teams, every single thing done by UEFA is done with that sole purpose in mind.

Europe has been hugely enjoyable because we have been competitive in recent years, even in the latter knock-out rounds.

This week is big. A QF would be a terrific achievement.

Will it be similar in the Champions League? Realistically we’d be competing for 3rd at best (in old format).
Exactly what I mean mate. We would be getting scudded in 90% of CL matches and that's the reality. It would get very tiring after a while.

I really hope so, but the only reason we crave CL qualification is the money because we are a million miles away from competing in it.
Thats the sad reality. The money would be handy but im not sure how enjoyable it would be seeing us up against Man city, Liverpool, PSG etc. At least with the Europa we can generally make a contest of it.

Exactly what I mean mate. We would be getting scudded in 90% of CL matches and that's the reality. It would get very tiring after a while.
even for those who win the champions league, do they automatically restart again in July/august?

Errrr, if we don't make the league or cups a priority, how do we get into Europe?

Based on your posts here, I think you need to check your meds.

even for those who win the champions league, do they automatically restart again in July/august?
To be honest mate I'm not sure, I gave up trying to learning the new model. Will just see how it pans out. A few German clubs fans have protested the change.

Thats the sad reality. The money would be handy but im not sure how enjoyable it would be seeing us up against Man city, Liverpool, PSG etc. At least with the Europa we can generally make a contest of it.
Bear in mind it’s not just the CL that are moving to the one league format

All three of the comps are in 2024

Errrr, if we don't make the league or cups a priority, how do we get into Europe?

Based on your posts here, I think you need to check your meds.
We get into Europe the same as we do just now. Finish the league or come second. Depending on our coefficient we may or may not play qualifiers

There’s huge opportunity for hearts and hibs to also make the conference which is also moving to the one league format

Last edited:
Back