Is this team better than 2008?

2008 team knew that every team needed to be beaten by putting a shift in no matter the opposition. To many in this team (Kent, Goldson for example) think they all they need to do against a Ross County, St Mirren or Motherwell is turn up and they'll get the points. As we've seen so far, that lousy attitude has cost us this season.

Although what that team achieved was amazing it really wasn’t the best to watch. This team however has been consistently excellent even against teams we shouldn’t be able to compete with due to the difference in wealth like dortmund. I also think that 2008 team would really struggle against modern teams nowadays as you can’t just set up to defend for 90 minutes against teams with that quality. I think even our attitude towards the games are different, back then I was never confident going into European games but now I actual expect us to get results against teams.

Honestly stunned this is even up for debate. This team has won one trophy in two and a bit years.

2008 team went on to win eight in four years. Not even a contest
3 league titles and 5 cups in 4 years they went on to win.

It wasn't the same team though. We signed guys like Miller, Mendes, Edu, Bougherra & Lafferty the following Summer.

This question is talking about the 2008 team which blew an even bigger lead than our current team had, and got through European games defending for their lives and clinging on.

No.

That 2008 side wouldn’t have lost an 7/8 point lead in this league.

We were 6 points clear with a game in hand going into April 2008 and still lost the league.

We lost the league that season due to corruption though. An Old Firm game moved to alleviate a mentally challenged suspension / injury crisis and their shite form, followed by 2 months of blatant corruption from officials in the latter stages of the season.

It’s eerily similar to this season the more you think about it.

Are you factoring the current managers into this debate?

If so, it’s 2008 all day.

If you’re purely looking at who had the better 11 individual players then it’s definitely this squad.

It's tough because they are so differently set up.

Walter was pure contain and counter attack. Gio's playing with 3 forwards. But in the positions that match up...

McGregor over er..McGregor
Tav over Whittaker/Broadfoot
Weir/Cuellar over Goldson/Balogun
Papac over Bassey (for now)

Thomson/Ferguson/Hemdani over Jack/Lundstram/Kamara

Alfie over any c*nt.

I'd take Ferguson and Cuellar. Unfortunately the standard of opposition is much higher. This team should fear no one if we get through.
I think this seasons forward line is better than 2008. Defence (Greegs apart) not as good.

Kent could get into any Gers team in any era...IF he turns it on.

Absolutely not.
It terms of a "team" as such it is debatable, as the 2008 team were as a collective a great unit and for the sum of their parts had no real right to be remotely anywhere near a European final.
The current team also have opposition much better than us on paper but we don't sit back and hope to snatch goals, we actually go after teams and justifiably win games rather than steal results.
That's not a criticism of Walter's team at all, it was absolutely the right option that produced spectacular results.
I prefer the football we play now and would choose the current team to watch over the 2008 team.

It wasn't the same team though. We signed guys like Miller, Mendes, Edu, Bougherra & Lafferty the following Summer.

This question is talking about the 2008 team which blew an even bigger lead than our current team had, and got through European games defending for their lives and clinging on.
I wasn't answering the question, I don't really care which was better just what they achieve.

No.

That 2008 side wouldn’t have lost an 7/8 point lead in this league.
And on the flip side, the 2008 team wouldn’t have scored 9 goals in 3 ties

I think we are more entertaining now than the 2008 team, whether that’s enough to get us to the final only time will tell

Worth remembering in 19 European games in 07/08 we had 12 clean sheets. Clean sheets against every team bar Stuttgart & Zenit

That defence was sensational that run. Cuellar was genuinely a colossus.
The baw was a magnet to him in Florence.

I remember him basically falling over and blocking a shot from Mutu in the most awkward/unconventional way ever.

The baw was a magnet to him in Florence.

I remember him basically falling over and blocking a shot from Mutu in the most awkward/unconventional way ever.

Still the greatest one man defensive performance from a Rangers player I have ever seen.

"Ball comes into the box and headed away by...guess who"

This team plays slightly differently from the one that got to the final in 2008. That was special. This, up to now, is Dreamland. Darenae believe we can do better than SWS's 2008 team but loving the journey.
Slightly?
Did we score three in total at Ibrox?
Smith was a master at playing away leg football, especially at home!
Tavernier for Whittaker, Cuellar partnering Goldson.
Ferguson and Davis in midfield but I’m struggling with the ten here.
Definitely the current forwards.

No chance. Even if still on a high from last night, the reality is Walter’s 2008-11 side racked up numerous winners medals and went to a European final. And that was after an impressive stint in the Champions League. Absolute winners throughout that team and screwed out the league title in 2008. I’d argue that the current side has a bit more technical flair at times. Alfredo would go in that team and Tav as well.

It's tough because they are so differently set up.

Walter was pure contain and counter attack. Gio's playing with 3 forwards. But in the positions that match up...

McGregor over er..McGregor
Tav over Whittaker/Broadfoot
Weir/Cuellar over Goldson/Balogun
Papac over Bassey (for now)

Thomson/Ferguson/Hemdani over Jack/Lundstram/Kamara

Alfie over any c*nt.
Would you rather not have Cuellar and Goldson?
I honestly think I would rather have Jack, Fergie and Kamara as well if I had the choice on paper.
Hard to choose overall though, the best thing about the 2008 team was how they operated as a collective.

No chance. Even if still on a high from last night, the reality is Walter’s 2008-11 side racked up numerous winners medals and went to a European final. And that was after an impressive stint in the Champions League. Absolute winners throughout that team and screwed out the league title in 2008. I’d argue that the current side has a bit more technical flair at times. Alfredo would go in that team and Tav as well.

The team changed quite a lot after 2008

Back