Should the club ask the players to forget meeting up with their international teams?

Drumgelloch Loyal

With this league title hanging in the balance, I'd much prefer it if our players stayed, got a much deserved rest, regrouped, and take the vermin to the sword to clinch this season's title.

I don't know what the rules are when It comes to this. Perhaps that decision would make the players fall out of favour with their national team managers.
If I was Morelos I'd stick the fingers up to the Colombian manager anyway for constantly overlooking him.

Thoughts?

I'm pretty sure its not an option. If they're selected they'll go and we won't be able to stop them unless they are injured. If players were to retire from internationals that would solve this but I can't see anybody going to that length.

I think if they can come to an amicable agreement with their manager it would be a good thing to get some rest.

Ryan Jack shouldn't be anywhere near the Scotland squad given his recent fitness issues
And the various assorted witch-hunts when playing for Rangers. The same scum that want him to represent their national side have regularly stitched him up whilst playing for Rangers.

It's a bit late for this season now they will all be away to meet up with their international squads.

The Morelos one is the most annoying as he has to do a lot of travelling and hasn't been featuring. And Colombia have been calling up 28 players. That many shouldn't be allowed.

The ones that are barely able to stay fit for their Club should be taking it upon themselves to be unavailable for international selection.

Primarily thinking of Jack and Roofe.
I think Roofe came to an 'arrangement' with the Jamaican team coach at the last round of call-ups.

I think if they can come to an amicable agreement with their manager it would be a good thing to get some rest.

Ryan Jack shouldn't be anywhere near the Scotland squad given his recent fitness issues
Agree, considering the injury that kept him out for so long was caused by Clarke running him into the ground over 3 games.

The ones that are barely able to stay fit for their Club should be taking it upon themselves to be unavailable for international selection.

Primarily thinking of Jack and Roofe.

If they do that and they're fit then those associations can have them banned playing for us. There's nothing we can do about it they have to travel.

The club should never do this.

Most players want to play for their country. The best ones, the sort of player we want at Rangers, will do that.

If we became a club who were known for asking players to pick club over country, it would become all the more difficult to get good players to sign for us, or talented youngsters to stay here.

And then any Scot with any hope of playing for Scotland would see playing for us as a barrier to this desire.
I know I edited my post, not sure if you saw the second part? Maybe my fault?

The Scottish authorities must be the most partisan in the entire world. Ordinary footballing governing bodies don’t operate the way the SFA and SPFL do, punishing one club and aiding another. Normally they are impartial, professional bodies, there to benefit the game in the country, not just one club.

If I was Ryan Jack, I know I wouldn’t be representing Scotland. Multiple witch-hunts to get me banned from playing and then asking me to play for the national side. %^*& that.

I'm pretty sure its not an option. If they're selected they'll go and we won't be able to stop them unless they are injured. If players were to retire from internationals that would solve this but I can't see anybody going to that length.
International retirement only works if their FA accepts the retirement.

Is Morelos definitely travelling with Colombia? I know he's been called up but he's clearly carrying an injury and could do with a break!

Absolutely not.

why would they? if i was a professional footballer and my club were not allowing / advising against play for my nation - i would be less than impressed - personally.

If they do that and they're fit then those associations can have them banned playing for us. There's nothing we can do about it they have to travel.
I’m talking about retiring from international football

One of Celtic's Japanese players pulled out of the Japan squad today citing injury concerns. It is Maeda.
Hopefully Japan invoke the 5 day rule. Knowing the paedophiles, they will get the game rearranged. Knowing the SFA/SPFL, they will allow it.

International retirement only works if their FA accepts the retirement.

Surely that’s slavery?

I think Matip/Liverpool had a similar issue the other year when Cameroon wanted him and he had retired.

Most other clubs in Europe will be fighting for something in the latter stages of the season - we are no special case.

Best we can hope for is for those who are involved in friendlies that they speak to their international manager and have their game time managed appropriately, which I think will be likely as it's rare a player would play 90 minutes in 2 consecutive friendlies.

If you look at our probably first choice XI, McGregor, Tav, Goldson, Lundstram and Kent aren't called up, and for some of our non first XI players (Sands, Barisic, Davis, Roofe, Sakala) getting extra game time may not be a bad thing (appreciating travel involved for Roofe/Sakala if they're involved is not ideal). Gametime for Ramsey could be a blessing as well, especially as they are only playing one competitive game now.

A better solution for everyone would be to stop scheduling the most important matches of the season directly after International breaks and European matches. Surely it can't be that difficult to slot 4 scum games into the calendar on dates where there's not issues with travelling. You want your best players, on both sides, to be in peak condition for the showpiece matches. Instead we have the possibility of them coming back injured or jaded from travelling.

I’m talking about retiring from international football

If you're Ryan Jack and potentially 2 games away from playing in a world cup for probably the only time in your career would you retire? Since he's returned from injury its only really COVID that's stopped him from playing for us.

One of Celtic's Japanese players pulled out of the Japan squad today citing injury concerns. It is Maeda.
injury is different, the medical report is sent to the International sides doctors, if they agree fine, if they think its a con he misses the next match.

If you're Ryan Jack and potentially 2 games away from playing in a world cup for probably the only time in your career would you retire? Since he's returned from injury its only really COVID that's stopped him from playing for us.
If I was Ryan Jack I’d have retired from international football a long time ago.

All you can really hope for is that common sense is applied when it comes to players with knocks and who have only recently recovered from injuries.

Only if the f a of that country try to shaft the club you play for eg not allowing them to sign players till the day before the league starts.

Club v Country argument.

If I was a player I couldn't be bothered with the Country games. Would rather have a bit of training and relaxing at home.

I know Jack wants to play but retiring wouldn't be the worst idea.

Roofe thinks he can play both but his fitness proves otherwise.

Look at what happened to Lafferty, he was banned from his next domestic game so not even a contemplation.

If the club, Country and player discuss in a mature manner they may get an agreement I.e. they go but only feature in one game. The poets done that.

No chance. The club is also a business and often players value goes up based on appearances for their country faster than it does for league performances in a league like ours. We want the player trading model to work and this is one aspect of it.

plus, the players are by and large, absolutely honoured to represent their country. We could and would never deny them that.

Just curious as to why a large number of people on here still somehow continue to think that the club have any say about this?

There is nothing that our club, or any club, can do to prevent players from going on international duty if they are fit and they want to go. Talking about it is a complete waste of time and effort.

Are all of you new to football or something?

Back