Should the club ask the players to forget meeting up with their international teams?

If I was Ryan Jack I’d have retired from international football a long time ago.
I'm glad you're not then. He has been outstanding for Scotland and clearly loves playing for his country.

Same applies to anyone else. It's an honour to be asked to represent your country. We shouldn't be asking players to give that up unless they make the choice to.

Absolutely not, for (I would guess) the vast majority of players, it is the pinnacle of their career to be selected to play for their country in any sport. No club should stand in their way.

Reactions: JCL
Impossible but we should be imploring any selected for Scotland to tell them to %^*& off.

not our place Ryan Jack has never hidden his desire or pride in playing for the national side

And as a whole its not our place to tell any players what to do in this instance along with it just simply not being allowed

Looks like Maeda has pulled out the Japan squad for their trip to Australia for a qualifier. "Sidelined due to unwell physical condition". Wonder if he's already travelled or the mhanks have just withdrawn him. If he has gone do Australian covid rules mean he would have to self isolate over there for the full period if its that?

Hatate still on the list.

Last edited:
It's actually mental Ramsey is called up imo
Tricky one for us because I think Ramsey treasures each and every cap for his country perhaps much more than a lot of his other colleagues.
One of his main reasons for joining us on loan was purely to get up to a fitness level that would suit Wales.
On that basis if we told him to decline an invite to play for Wales we’d be on one almighty sticky wicket.

Our manager captained his National side to a World Cup Final, can you seriously imagine him looking the players in the eye and telling them to pull out?
Behave, Gerrard encouraged call ups and Gio will be the exact same.
If Goldson, Tav or Kent ever got an England call up would you want them pulled out?

Just curious as to why a large number of people on here still somehow continue to think that the club have any say about this?

There is nothing that our club, or any club, can do to prevent players from going on international duty if they are fit and they want to go. Talking about it is a complete waste of time and effort.

Are all of you new to football or something?
They forget that Lafferty tried that trick and it cost him AND Rangers

Ramsey should be morel no where near the Wales squad, just got him fit

Jack, again should be no where near it, still recovering.

Balagon - carrying an injury, rule be no where near

Morelos - carrying an injury, never plays, should be no where near

The rest I'm ok with

In his post-match interview yesterday, Gio was saying how much of an honour it was to represent his country. There's no way he'd be pressuring players to make themselves unavailable.

It’s not like Wales are playing a friendly - they are in a World Cup play off. I’d expect Ramsey to make himself available for that even if one of his legs was hanging off, it would be the biggest honour of his career if he could help get Wales to a World Cup.

If they are called up then the National Association can make them report for duty. That said, they can be assessed by the National Association medics and sent back to their clubs with the National Associations blessings and clearance to play should they regain fitness.

With this league title hanging in the balance, I'd much prefer it if our players stayed, got a much deserved rest, regrouped, and take the vermin to the sword to clinch this season's title.

I don't know what the rules are when It comes to this. Perhaps that decision would make the players fall out of favour with their national team managers.
If I was Morelos I'd stick the fingers up to the Colombian manager anyway for constantly overlooking him.

Thoughts?

If this were possible then international football would kind of disappear.

Pretty much every club in every title race across every league in Europe will have international players involved. In the bigger leagues you'll even have teams fighting relegation and going for Champions League spots with international players in their squads.

We aren't the only club in this kind of situation.

Back