Who is your English team and why?

Brentford

My dad used to watch them a bit in the 70’s and we have a number of Brentford supporting mates. Normally try and get down there for a couple games every year.

Also have soft spots for QPR (dad used to live in the Bush) and Crystal Palace (dad’s best mate is a Palace supporter).

Don’t have one but when younger likes spurs due to hoddle villa ardiles and Micky hazard but now not really interested

Liverpool - they were THE team in the 80’s for the most part when I was a kid. Had posters of them on the wall and were the team I remember watching on tv more than anyone in finals etc. then Souness went back and Inkept following their results. Through the “spice boy” era then into the 2000’s with some great European finals.

Liverpool,
I grew up watching the likes of Fowler, McManaman, Berger, Redknapp, Barnes and co. The Spice Boys
Then along came Michael Owen who was my favourite non Rangers player soon to be followed by Steven Gerrard. Always felt the clubs had similar standards and there’s always that link of tragedy as well.

Beyond that I had a soft spot for Leeds under O’Leary, cracking team

Genuinely don’t have one, I go through phases of wanting to see certain teams win if I like some of their players or managers, but I find it hard really liking a team when it doesn’t really mean anything like it does with Rangers.

I prefer Liverpool to City right now but that’s just because I have a totally irrational dislike of Pep!

I liked Man City. Liked the strip and when I was getting into football in the early/mid 90’s I saw them as the underdogs and the ‘real’ fans compared to the glory chasing man United fans.

Obviously times have changed since then. I like to watch them but don’t feel a fraction of the passion I feel watching Rangers.
Liverpool. Grew up in the 80s. Greatest club side ever, plus Souness and Dalglish. It was a special time. Then Hillsburough happened. Felt more connected to them through tragedy.

I liked Man City. Liked the strip and when I was getting into football in the early/mid 90’s I saw them as the underdogs and the ‘real’ fans compared to the glory chasing man United fans.

Obviously times have changed since then. I like to watch them but don’t feel a fraction of the passion I feel watching Rangers.
Arsenal, just because when I was a wee boy in the sixties my dad bought me an Arsenal top along with my Rangers top.It goes back to the friendship Arsenal shared with Rangers.

Liverpool,
I grew up watching the likes of Fowler, McManaman, Berger, Redknapp, Barnes and co. The Spice Boys
Then along came Michael Owen who was my favourite non Rangers player soon to be followed by Steven Gerrard. Always felt the clubs had similar standards and there's always that link of tragedy as well....

Beyond that I had a soft spot for Leeds under O’Leary, cracking team
Jesus F#ck, mate. Talk about ambulance chasing tims, ffs...

Just Rangers for me but…

Fond memories of watching early 2000s Arsenal on TV and 90s champions league nights on ITV at old Trafford, they always stick with me.

Right now Man City purely because I love Pep Guardiola.

Utterly hate Liverpool and Man Utd. Always have, always will.
I was at primary school when we had our cl run vs Marseille etc. We beat Leeds United.

I used to buy magazines like match and shoot and got angry at how much the they would drool over the Man U of Giggs, Cantona etc and dismiss us.

I always wish we could have done them in Europe. We did beat them 1-0 in a pre season friendly though

Brentford due to my dads brother moving to London( Hounslow) in the 60’s and being a season ticket holder there since he moved there.

Man City.
Went down in late 1980s and the guys I met then are still good mates. They come up here a lot to see Rangers
Used to be great days going down to home and away games but don’t go as much as I liked now. Work and other commitments

Also Man City.

Largely because of Oasis. I was ten years old. Then I witnessed Kinkladze and that was it. I was hooked.

Years ago when I used to play championship manager, I would play as Swansea so I used to look out for their results. I know they’re no English.

Last edited:
I don’t have one. Growing up I had that united team
of 98/99 and liked watching them but never says I supported them or that.

My old man was born in Newcastle and his parents where Geordies so have a soft spot for them but that’s all it is a soft spot.

I liked West Ham based only on seeing them on MOTD (or rather, one of the English games on Sportscene) or STV - liked the strip, the ground (Boleyn), atmosphere and the style of football, worth watching win, lose or draw.

Nowadays, though, they seem like just another team.

West Ham, just always liked them since I was a kid. A proper team with a cracking fan base. Always made more than welcome any time I go down to watch them.

Coventry City because the wife would divorce me if I didn't and nearest league club to home. Was watching the Bears stamp out Motherwell on the bus to West Brom yesterday.

Always want to see the big three in England do well, Manchester United, Liverpool and Arsenal, more so the first two as Arsenal since about 2012 or so have been ran into the ground by the board. Not the fans fault, but just a club forever in turmoil behind the scenes.

If I had to pick one it would probably be Blackpool. The scenes when they got promoted to the Premier League in 2010 were phenomenal with the whole town coming out to celebrate. Plenty of links to Rangers down the years with ex-players and a favourite holiday destination of the Scottish!

Liverpool for me, my dad bought me the grey away kit when I was a kid and I really enjoyed watching Ian Rush. Just always liked them. Absolutely love the way they play right now. Also Gillingham, they are the family team as loads of connections down there. I’ve not seen them play, they are pretty poor right now.

Don't really have one but there's a two I like to see do well due to my close mates supporting them. Leeds and Liverpool. Have been to Elland Rd a good few times but not Anfield yet, can't bring myself to pay £150+ to watch a team i dont support.

I also live near Villa Park so have been to about 5 or 6 games there this season, but thats more just to watch Premier league football than supporting Villa.

Arsenal. Loved the philosophy under George Graham. Hard team. Solid. Peppered with quality up front. To my mind it was very Rangers.

Back