Who is your English team and why?

Spurs, purely because they’re my sons team. Watching games on tv with him and we have been down to see them so I guess they’ve just kind of grown on me.

Older Bears will understand why Arsenal is our fellow 'establishment' team.

In addition, my very first Rangers game was the annual pre-season friendly between Rangers and Arsenal in 1968, which ended in a 2-2 draw. So, it's Arsenal for me.

Sunderland since I was a kid, because Jim Baxter went there from us. Forest never captured my young heart for some reason.

West Ham…

When I was a about 6/7 guy a few years older than me went down for a trial…

Came back with the full kit etc

Early 70’s this was something special and that’s been it since

Went to a few games mid 80’s

Proper traditional club, great loyal fans and most of the WHU that I know despise that mhob so that will do for me

In addition, my very first Rangers game was the annual pre-season friendly between Rangers and Arsenal in 1968, which ended in a 2-2 draw. So, it's Arsenal for me.

The Queen's team as well is supposedly Arsenal!

(As well as us ;))

Despite being born and raised in England, I’ve just never really had an inclination to support an English team. Not even really for a soft spot for one.

My old man’s English team was arsenal. Said he hates that prick whyte when he sold the arsenal shares for peanuts

I liked Man City. Liked the strip and when I was getting into football in the early/mid 90’s I saw them as the underdogs and the ‘real’ fans compared to the glory chasing man United fans.

Obviously times have changed since then. I like to watch them but don’t feel a fraction of the passion I feel watching Rangers.
Newcastle , went to watch them 24 yrs ago and have liked them ever since , also gazza connection and they played us for super ally’s testimonial

Chelsea probably a generation thing with the Bradford fire fundraisers, first time I seen such a large fan base with a similiar political view.

Us and them were pretty shit then so not about gloryhunting, plus my brother was in London then and used to travel up on the Chelsea busses.

Liverpool. We lived in Germany late 1970s and my dad took me to see Monchengladbach v Liverpool in a European Cup Semi Final. I was 9 or 10 at the time. They became my English team after that and I stuck with them as they seemed to have a procession of top Scottish players over the years - Dalglish, Souness, Hansen etc. Still my favourite English team to this day.

Akso, I moved to Wales almost 20 years ago and adopted Cardiff City as a local (ish) team, have enjoyed watching them over the years, been quite painful recently though. They ply their trade in the English leagues so qualify as a response to the OPs question :)

Chelsea. It was something about the club, the kit the old badge, the stadium, the place (beautiful place) I was just drawn to it. Just like Rangers ,my own choice.

Not from a football family, didn't have the support who your dad supports path laid out for me, first took interest in football watching England qualify and compete in 2002 world cup

Was Stoke City, lived there briefly as a kid and took in some games. The stadium move, and more recently signing James McLean, has killed off any real buzz I had for them.
Have a bit of a soft spot for Stockport County now as have work colleagues who follow them home and away, and they have a catchy club song.
In the EPL I have teams I’d prefer to win in their respective derby matches, but none that I really care if they lose.

Tottenham Hotspur F.C - My Mum is English and a lot of the family on my Mothers side are Spurs season Ticket Holders so I've always followed them (so more disappointments than celebrations over the years)

I don’t have an English team. Not looking for staunch points but don’t care about anyone outside of us

I generally look for the Chelsea result first, but only because of the links between our fans. Similar with HSV in Germany.

However, the truth is that Rangers losing a match is the only football result that has the ability to utterly ruin my week.

The Arsenal.

Because of Pat Jennings, Liam Brady and the Alan Sunderland perm.

And I never liked Spurs.

Last edited:
Only weirdos have two clubs.

Chelsea pay child abuse victims hush money btw so anyone saying them has no right to have a go at celtic for their disgusting cover up imo.

Fulham as I used to be able to see the stadium from my flat. Now we've moved more suburban, I ended up living right next to their training ground.

Another Archibald Leitch stadium, plus having grown up a Rangers fan I take a perverse pleasure in following a less obviously good team

I watch the PL regularly, but I don't have any real interest or loyalty in the teams - more just like the players and managers and some of the battles.

For instance, I have a weird hatred of Guardiola and like Klopp. Which basically means Id prefer Liverpool to win the league, despite historically despising Liverpool. Always like to see Arteta doing well, but Vs Man U yday Id have been happy if the latter won cos of Ronaldo. And despite not having any hard feelings towards Gerrard whatsoever, I still can't help but chuckle whenever Villa lose or draw.

It's a very schizophrenic way of watching football, but best way to enjoy it without having a dog in the fight.

Moved to Englan in 81 aged 8.

Melchester Rovers is my only English team, I had the kit, tracksuit and Subbuteo team.

(Used to play Rangers (82-84 pin stripe) v Melchester Rovers. Hat-tricks for both DJ and Roy Race as Rangers won 4-3 even after DJ had left for Chelsea..

Went to quite a few Aldershot games in the mid to late 80s though in the old 4th and 3rd division but never really supported them.

I had a brief interest in Fulham for 1 season because Malcolm McDonald was their manager and attended a few Southampton games at The Dell when Big Laurie was in charge because my Dad thought driving down the M3 was much easier than going to any London games.

Worked in betting shops inside both QPR and Spurs as a teenager so saw a fair bit of both in late i80s/early 90s.

I still consider all the big English teams our rivals and would never consider supporting them.

Unless they’re playing the filth. Then I”’m all in.

Last edited by a moderator:
None. I have ZERO interest in English football.

If I had the choice of free tickets for Man City vs Liverpool or had to pay to see Stirling Ablion vs Montrose, I'd be at Ochilview every time.

Liverpool in the 1980s, the 1981 away shirt was one of my first football tops. Loved watching Ian Rush.

I also like Chelsea as I used to live 10 mins walk from Stamford Bridge and used to go see them whenever I could buy tickets outside the ground.

Not a huge fan of either now but always check their results.

Arsenal.

Loved the days of Henry, Petit, Vieira. Arsenal fans I've met down here have all been decent.

Pretty sure I had an Arsenal shirt when I was about 10, too. It was Rangers, Arsenal and Juve for me as a football obsessed kid.

My mum's side of the family are Man City fans. They were my 2nd team growing up but when they won the league in 2012 with that Aguero goal while Rangers were fucked I realised I didn't really give a shit about them and all that mattered was Rangers. These days I actually can't stand what they've become, the lack of passion at their big games is pathetic.

Apart from that I'd say I've a wee soft spot for Pompey because of their team under Arry in 00s, and obviously the strip colours helped as well. Also looks like Fratton Park has a brilliant atmosphere, although I've never made it to a game.

West ham.
I had family in East London who took me to a game around 1972. I've been going ever since.
Seen a few highs, but mostly lows, although It just don't feel the same since leaving the Boleyn.

Rangers take up far too much of my emotional capacity to give a %^*& about anyone else.

If pushed to pick, would say Chelsea

I have two, Manchester United since the age of four. We lived in Aberdeen and they played up there in a match as part of the Martin Buchan transfer (early 70s). My dad was involved in the game. I wasn’t supporting Aberdeen!

Hartlepool as a friend in my professional training was a mad Poolie and dragged me round the south of England to their matches when we were on block release.

Leeds ..... first football strip i ever had middle 70s a team full of internationals half of them Scots
Leeds for me also. Mid 70s squad full of Scottish internationals

Harvey, Stewart, Bremner, Lorimer, McQueen, Jordan, E. Gray, F. Gray.

Don't have one... I just can't get THAT feeling inside that i have for Rangers to give a toss about their results.

When I was growing up it was Man Utd when big Ron was the manager.

Lost interest in them when they started winning everything. No glory hunting here!

Chelsea from when I was about 9/10 in the mid-90s. Used to go down about 5 or 6 times a season and I’ve been to a few Euro Aways and cup finals including the CL Final in 2012. Haven’t been down for years now, don’t have the time or money.

The Chelsea support, for the most part, love us and hate the t******s.

Back