Joe Aribo has played more games this season than any other player on the planet

uneasydaz

JOE ARIBO has played more games this season than any other player on the planet.

But Kevin Thomson still feels the super-fit Rangers midfielder has enough energy left to propel his team to a European final.

Incredibly, Aribo has already turned out 63 times for club and country this term.

The Nigerian international, 25, has proved indispensable to Rangers in a number of different positions — including a false No 9 — to combat a striker crisis.

If Kemar Roofe remains sidelined for the Europa League semi-final second leg on Thursday night, Aribo could be asked to lead the line against RB Leipzig.

The versatile star played as a frontman in the 1-0 first- leg defeat, with former Gers midfielder Thomson seeing enough to convince him Aribo can help turn it around.

The Kelty Hearts manager told SunSport: “With Alfredo Morelos and Roofe out injured, Joe provided that physicality up front against Leipzig.

“His performance in the second half was brilliant under the circumstances.

“There is every chance he’ll be asked to perform that role again. The manager has faith in him to do that job and I’m sure he will come up with the goods.

“The phenomenal number of games he has played so far highlights just how important he is to Rangers and Nigeria

“He is now one of the first names on the team-sheet for both of them.

“I’m sure he must be feeling it a little bit, but this is the time of the season you need to dig deep and forget the fatigue.

“Joe has played in so many different positions for Rangers over the past few seasons. He is the type of player who can play anywhere across the middle and in any of the front three positions.

“He also played left-back in a game under Steven Gerrard last season, so that just shows his versatility.

“He is a brilliant guy to have in your squad and he is clearly one the manager really trusts.

Being at his excellent best week in, week out is difficult when you are asked to do so many different roles

Joe Aribo's gruelling season
Premiership 33League Cup 3Scottish Cup 1Champions League Qualifiers 1Europa League 15World Cup Qualifiers 7African Cup of Nations 3

“But his performance levels for the last 24 months have been exceptional.”

Thomson knows what it takes to reach a major European final, having been a crucial part of the Gers team who made it to Manchester in 2008 for the Uefa Cup final against Zenit St Petersburg.

He’s quietly confident the class of 2022 can repeat the feat with Aribo deployed as a false No 9 against the Germans in the second leg.

Thomson said: “Joe is great when people come tight to him and he is excellent in the air.

“You would expect Rangers to have more of the ball. I think he will have a vital role being the focal point of the attack and bringing Ryan Kent more into the game.

“He has so many great attributes — he is strong, great in the air, has terrific skill and an eye for goal.

“Of course, he has had the odd quiet game, which is understandable, but overall he has been pretty relentless.”

Thomson, who led Kelty to the League Two title, has been hugely impressed by the fitness levels of the entire Rangers squad.

He knows only too well the demands a gruelling campaign at home and abroad can have on your body.

Walter Smith’s side had to play 68 matches in all competitions in 2007/08, with Giovanni van Bronckhorst’s men on course to play just three fewer if they get past Leipzig.

Thomson said: “Rangers were the better team against Celtic on Sunday and they were the fitter team.

“I sometimes think when you are at the business end of the season you want to be playing all the time.

“You’d think with their involvement in Europe, Rangers would have been dead on their feet in the latter stages of the Old Firm games.

“Yet it was the complete opposite, which is testament to the character and desire of Rangers.

“It’s mentally and physically demanding when you are fighting on so many fronts.

“I think the year we got to the Uefa Cup final, Davie Weir made 66 appearances and Carlos Cuellar made 65. Those are crazy numbers, but I still maintain players would rather play than train.

“Steven Davis was another who played most of the games that season and he is still going strong now. Watching him now makes me feel old, although I’m the same age as Davo.

“It is incredible that 14 years ago we reached the final and now Davo and Allan McGregor, boys I played with, have another opportunity.

“It is mad, but they are both top players and top professionals and that is why they are here again.”

Van Bronckhorst has a number of selection dilemmas ahead of Thursday’s semi-final showdown, with a possible recall for Aaron Ramsey chief among them.

Thomson added: “If Ramsey is fit then I wouldn’t be surprised if he throws him straight in. I would think it is a risk worth taking.

“He’s a big-game player and you don’t get many chances to reach a European final.

I’ve always thought Rangers would go through if they were still in the tie after the first leg.

It would be a monumental achievement for these boys to do what we did in 2008.”

Wow I had no idea he had played so much, maybe give the lad some extra time off in the summer

Hes the only non defender / goalkeeper in the top 10 for minutes played. Goldson has actually played more minutes than him, but obviously does less running.

Didn't realise he had played so much. Ramsey and Hagi's injuries have probably had a big part to play here.

Sheds light on why his performances haven't been at the standard we've seen from him.

Something to perhaps consider for the clowns accusing him of not trying.

I've no idea how someone could arrive at such unmitigated nonsense, honestly. You don't need a PHD in Daniel Cousin body language studies to see that he ran himself into the ground on Thursday, to the extent he couldn't even walk properly coming off. It's also why he was given a rest after 60 minutes at the weekend.

It's the usual confirmation bias bollocks. Aribo has played 63 games and is tired. That's the Occam's Razor here.

Frankly fucking nonsense, Pele's playing football with the great grand weans every single day. He's easily doubling Aribo's numbers at this point

Because mangers would see through them. He has worked with 3 different mangers this season , they all picked him.

Hey, but maybe they are all wrong and you are right.
I personally don’t think he’s lazy :shh:
I think he looks jaded due to how many games he’s played. Merely asking you how a lazy player can’t play 63 games a season. Surely a lazy player has more chance of playing those amount of games than a workhorse? As they would have more left in tank

One massive push from him on Thursday please Joe and I would be more than happy for him to sit the next 3 games after that out.

Mind when he controlled a ball that looked like it had dropped from space and all c*nt made a complete sex noise after it

giphy.gif

best touch I have ever seen from a Rangers player that, true story.

They’ve lifted that straight from my post on here B-D
The Kelty Hearts manager told SunSport: “With Alfredo Morelos and Roofe out injured, Joe provided that physicality up front against Leipzig.

Obviously not, the supersoarawaysun has direct access to KT, with quotation marks an' all :))

For me Joe Aribo is our best player

I honestly can't understand anyone saying he is lazy or not trying ,he might go through wee dips in form on occasion but all players do

He’s a fantastic footballer who is just going through an average spell.

No player can play at their very best for 60-70 games per season.

People need to get off his back.
rangers players aren't allowed to make mistakes or have bad spells.
if they didnt make mistakes then they would have moved on for mega millions as they would be the only players in the world in that category

JOE ARIBO has played more games this season than any other player on the planet.

But Kevin Thomson still feels the super-fit Rangers midfielder has enough energy left to propel his team to a European final.

Incredibly, Aribo has already turned out 63 times for club and country this term.

The Nigerian international, 25, has proved indispensable to Rangers in a number of different positions — including a false No 9 — to combat a striker crisis.

If Kemar Roofe remains sidelined for the Europa League semi-final second leg on Thursday night, Aribo could be asked to lead the line against RB Leipzig.

The versatile star played as a frontman in the 1-0 first- leg defeat, with former Gers midfielder Thomson seeing enough to convince him Aribo can help turn it around.

“His performance in the second half was brilliant under the circumstances.

“There is every chance he’ll be asked to perform that role again. The manager has faith in him to do that job and I’m sure he will come up with the goods.

“The phenomenal number of games he has played so far highlights just how important he is to Rangers and Nigeria

“He is now one of the first names on the team-sheet for both of them.

“I’m sure he must be feeling it a little bit, but this is the time of the season you need to dig deep and forget the fatigue.

“Joe has played in so many different positions for Rangers over the past few seasons. He is the type of player who can play anywhere across the middle and in any of the front three positions.

“He also played left-back in a game under Steven Gerrard last season, so that just shows his versatility.

“He is a brilliant guy to have in your squad and he is clearly one the manager really trusts.

Being at his excellent best week in, week out is difficult when you are asked to do so many different roles

Joe Aribo's gruelling season
Premiership 33League Cup 3Scottish Cup 1Champions League Qualifiers 1Europa League 15World Cup Qualifiers 7African Cup of Nations 3

“But his performance levels for the last 24 months have been exceptional.”

Thomson knows what it takes to reach a major European final, having been a crucial part of the Gers team who made it to Manchester in 2008 for the Uefa Cup final against Zenit St Petersburg.

He’s quietly confident the class of 2022 can repeat the feat with Aribo deployed as a false No 9 against the Germans in the second leg.

Thomson said: “Joe is great when people come tight to him and he is excellent in the air.

“You would expect Rangers to have more of the ball. I think he will have a vital role being the focal point of the attack and bringing Ryan Kent more into the game.

“He has so many great attributes — he is strong, great in the air, has terrific skill and an eye for goal.

“Of course, he has had the odd quiet game, which is understandable, but overall he has been pretty relentless.”

Thomson, who led Kelty to the League Two title, has been hugely impressed by the fitness levels of the entire Rangers squad.

He knows only too well the demands a gruelling campaign at home and abroad can have on your body.

Walter Smith’s side had to play 68 matches in all competitions in 2007/08, with Giovanni van Bronckhorst’s men on course to play just three fewer if they get past Leipzig.

Thomson said: “Rangers were the better team against Celtic on Sunday and they were the fitter team.

“I sometimes think when you are at the business end of the season you want to be playing all the time.

“You’d think with their involvement in Europe, Rangers would have been dead on their feet in the latter stages of the Old Firm games.

“Yet it was the complete opposite, which is testament to the character and desire of Rangers.

“It’s mentally and physically demanding when you are fighting on so many fronts.

“I think the year we got to the Uefa Cup final, Davie Weir made 66 appearances and Carlos Cuellar made 65. Those are crazy numbers, but I still maintain players would rather play than train.

“Steven Davis was another who played most of the games that season and he is still going strong now. Watching him now makes me feel old, although I’m the same age as Davo.

“It is incredible that 14 years ago we reached the final and now Davo and Allan McGregor, boys I played with, have another opportunity.

“It is mad, but they are both top players and top professionals and that is why they are here again.”

Van Bronckhorst has a number of selection dilemmas ahead of Thursday’s semi-final showdown, with a possible recall for Aaron Ramsey chief among them.

Thomson added: “If Ramsey is fit then I wouldn’t be surprised if he throws him straight in. I would think it is a risk worth taking.

“He’s a big-game player and you don’t get many chances to reach a European final.

I’ve always thought Rangers would go through if they were still in the tie after the first leg.

It would be a monumental achievement for these boys to do what we did in 2008.”
Still not good enough.

For me Joe Aribo is our best player

I honestly can't understand anyone saying he is lazy or not trying ,he might go through wee dips in form on occasion but all players do
He’s not even in our top 3. He’s fine against the bottom six when were 2 goals up but when the going gets tough he usually goes missing. He’s played about 10 old firm games and he’s lucky to have influenced one of them.

Me and several posters on here have been saying for ages he has been running on empty and needed a rest, as was Morelos.

He could have been rested a lot more than he had done if we used the squad properly.

Back