Davis on Thursday

Dawson1872

Alright boys, I feel that now that he's fully fit, Stevie Davis should start on Thursday.

He's the Rangers Rolls-Royce and he's the one to drag the rest of the team up for it after the devastating loss of Jimmy.

He's played in a European final before and he's played in countless massive games for Rangers, I think we need him in the squad.

What do you think Bears?

Alright boys, I feel that now that he's fully fit, Stevie Davis should start on Thursday.

He's the Rangers Rolls-Royce and he's the one to drag the rest of the team up for it after the devastating loss of Jimmy.

He's played in a European final before and he's played in countless massive games for Rangers, I think we need him in the squad.

What do you think Bears?
Absolutely, for all the reasons stated

don't think we can play Jack Lundstrum and Davis in same team , don't think we can play Lundstrum and Davis in same team for what its worth

He should start but whether Gio will select him is another matter. Seems to have a reluctance to play him. Not sure why when the alternatives arent as good.

Lundstram, Davis and Jack are the best midfielders and I think we need to play them.

If Lundstram is to slip into a back 3 for large parts of the match then we really need both the creativity and calmness of Davis and the dig Jack gives us.

If Borna and Tav are gonna be getting down the line to support the front 3 then I don’t think we need an attacking midfielder trying to link it up.

Davis and Jack can pick out the passes.

Gio doesn’t seem to see Davis as his type of player for some reason.

Not sure if he thinks he isn’t aggressive enough.

The thing that I think people don’t appreciate enough about Davis is how much he takes the pressure off the players around him.

Always available to receive the ball, can play in a phone box, when he’s on the pitch the back four don’t get caught on the ball playing across the back.

It’s not just about getting your best players on the park, if it was then I’d agree and expect Lundstrum, Jack, Davis. However, if Roofe starts, then I’d expect the midfield to be Lundstrum, Jack plus either Aribo or Arfield, and the 3 attackers to be Roofe, Kent and 1 of Aribo, Arfield or Sakala. We need to go for it.

Kamara doesn’t deserve to start, but likely will.

Davis, Lundstram and Jack - that’s the form three, imo.

Kamara for Davis is what I suspect.

Jack and Lundstrum have earned those two starting places.

they've done nothing to lose them, despite Davo's recent return to form.

Sadly there's no space for all 3, but what an option to have on the bench

I’ve not been overly impressed by Jack lately. I feel in Leipzig he often panicked and played the safe pass when a pass forward to break the lines was on.

Davis’ form since coming back has been great and I feel like we’ll need his cool head on Thursday. I’d be going with Lundstram and Davis in front of the defence.

Gio will start Lundstram and Jack with Davis on the bench so my opinion is pretty useless anyway.

Last edited:
Davis was subbed for Jack on 63 mins at 1-0 most of our " bossing " came after that ......

ps, only an opinion mate not looking for an argument
If you look at the xG plot we were miles behind before SD was hooked - majority of chances came afterwards.

If we play a 4-2-3-1 I'd like Davis and lundstram to play as the 2 .. Kent aribo and Ramsey 3 with roofe up top. Davis and lundstrams distrubion of the ball is key both fantastic at passing and Davis breaks the lines alot with his forward passing.

I think it all depends who is available. But if Roofe and Ramsay can start, and with 5 subs it is worth the risk if they can, then Davis doesn't fit into the team.

If they aren't fit then maybe, but I think he probably benches.

Regardless of whether he plays tomorrow or not, I really hope Gio gives him some minutes in the final. I doubt there will be another player who has played in 2 European finals for 1 club 14 years apart.

If Roofe and Ramsey are fit, as close to the 11 that started v Braga as possible.

Jack can cover that right channel in a way that Davis can't, it is massive how big it is to our shape when Jack plays out there for what it then means Tav can do.

I really hope Ramsey is fit, and as such, it’s a choice between Davis and Jack. Part of me is going with Davis.

If we play a 4-2-3-1 I'd like Davis and lundstram to play as the 2 .. Kent aribo and Ramsey 3 with roofe up top. Davis and lundstrams distrubion of the ball is key both fantastic at passing and Davis breaks the lines alot with his forward passing.
No, has to be Ryan Jack.

Did you watch the Braga game. Jack pretty much played at right back allowing Tav to bomb on the full game. Leipzig are a counterattacking team and we just wouldn’t have the same cover with Davis. And I’m a Davis fan.

No, has to be Ryan Jack.

Did you watch the Braga game. Jack pretty much played at right back allowing Tav to bomb on the full game. Leipzig are a counterattacking team and we just wouldn’t have the same cover with Davis. And I’m a Davis fan.

Even on Sunday it totally changed when Davis went off. We were able to press much higher up the park. We can't afford to play with Davis from the start. And I'm his biggest fan.

Like Arfield, Davis for me is a last 30 minute player now.

Not a starter for me, no disrespect to him and what he’s achieved but he’s not got it to run big games now.

Gio doesnt rate him as one of his best although Im sure he respects him a lot and what he can still offer.

Id imagine he'll be primed to come on and control the game for the win assuming Rangers are leading in the 2nd half.

Nobody better qualified to do that than Daveo

No, has to be Ryan Jack.

I hope your right and that will be the same game plan tomorrow as we had against braga at Ibrox I was there and we were flying but leipzeg are a different animal IMO and if we score early it could change the narrative but I believe they'll press hard and we will be on the counter not leipzeg. Let hope I'm wrong and I'm a Jack fan also but I thought he wasn't upto much in the 1st leg

IMO he will be a sub and a valuable sub to have the option to call upon

He is highly experienced but as others have said I think we start Lundstram and Jack

The 3rd midfielder options will be either Kamara/Arfield/Ramsey

I don’t think Davis and Lundstram work in the same midfield and the latter is probably the first name on the team sheet at the moment and has struck up a great partnership with Jack.

Gio doesn’t seem to see Davis as his type of player for some reason.

Not sure if he thinks he isn’t aggressive enough.

The thing that I think people don’t appreciate enough about Davis is how much he takes the pressure off the players around him.

Always available to receive the ball, can play in a phone box, when he’s on the pitch the back four don’t get caught on the ball playing across the back.

Another thing with Davis is that he has a knack of making crucial interceptions and being in the right place at the right time...not by luck either, his experience could be crucial.

Can't see Ramsey being near the team tbh, no idea what his current fitness status is.

Might depend on Ramsey's fitness? I'd think that Lundstram and Jack will start and either Ramsey or Davis will be the third in the midfield.
Jack and Lundstrum will start, but fully expect him to play a part.

Just hope we don't get a random like Sands coming on. Kamara should be no where near the team, been a passenger most of the season.

We should be aiming to start the team that started at home to Braga.

The only one from that starting 11 that is probably a doubt is Ramsey.

If you look at the xG plot we were miles behind before SD was hooked - majority of chances came afterwards.
We dominated the game up until they scored with Davis on the park, the tims always fade after an hour and im pretty sure we would have been just as dominant if he had stayed on.

I think we need him on Thursday for his experience and his composure on the ball because the first 20 mins are going to be hectic, plus we need Lundstrum for his energy and fight.

I wasn't nervous in the first leg but nerves are starting to kick in now for this game.

Don't think he will start. With Lundstram in the starting line up, and Jack, there doesn't seem to be a requirement for him in there. He should be coming on as a sub if we're ahead to see out the game though. Thought he made a few awry passes against that mob

We dominated the game up until they scored with Davis on the park, the tims always fade after an hour and im pretty sure we would have been just as dominant if he had stayed on.

Can you dominate without creating as many chances as your opponents ?

I hope your right and that will be the same game plan tomorrow as we had against braga at Ibrox I was there and we were flying but leipzeg are a different animal IMO and if we score early it could change the narrative but I believe they'll press hard and we will be on the counter not leipzeg. Let hope I'm wrong and I'm a Jack fan also but I thought he wasn't upto much in the 1st leg
I think pose a similar threat in terms of style as Braga did. Both teams like to counter attack down the wings. Our use of Jack and Lundstram for cover of Tav and Borna could be key.

Leipzig can vary their attack a little more however and come through the middle. They are a far better side than Braga.

An early-ish goal and a loud Ibrox could hopefully have them on the back foot however.

We were unlucky against Braga that we weren’t 2-0 up within 5 minutes and 3-0 in 25 mins with Roofe’s effort off the underside of the bar. Start like that and I honestly believe we have a huge chance.

Make us dream, Rangers!

Back