Is Seville gonna be big enough?

I know Frankfurt reportedly took 30k to Barcelona but how many of them didn't have a ticket? Are we assuming they will bring large numbers when they might just bring fans with tickets?

Hopefully common sense will win & there will be large fan zones created, within walking distance of the city centre.

It will only be for the day of the match. When we went to Manchester the city centre wasn't particularly busy the night before the match. A fair % of fans on match day will be day trippers from the Algarve or the Costas, who will be gone after the match or in the early hours.

Plaza de Espana

Carry out and get doon there, looks massive and tremendous looking

Edit: and its close to the stadium

Plaza_de_Espa%C3%B1a_%28Sevilla%29_-_01.jpg
That's where the 'official' UEFA fan zone is going to be. That will take up a decent chunk of the square and be fenced off.

There have been about 5 threads on this the past 2 days - the place is absolutely not ready for ticketless fans. No other fan areas. No big screens. Nothing.

The other two stadia - Betis ground and the Cartuja are the bigger ones, and both have huge parks near them. Directing fans to those areas would be the sensible thing to do, but the authorities will struggle to get screens and things like toilets, mobile food and drink in place in less than 10 days. The stadia would be ideal because they've got catering facilities and toilets at least, but it will be logistically difficult now to get that all ready.

The most important thing is the team get there. Spain is a bit backwards that's why we go there on holiday. I asked for a baileys one night in salou and the guy kept pouring me pints of it lol

I was in Seville in March. It doesn’t really hav a pub culture. More restaurants than bars and not many with screens. Unless they set up fan zones in the city’s other stadia then it’s going to be horrendous to try to watch the game if you don’t have a ticket.
That’s why I have reluctantly decided not to go. I had to watch the final in Manchester through a pub window thanks to the debacle in the square

If that’s the pub at the top of Picadilly Gardens I was inside while they locked the doors and could see the rest of my group standing in the street :eek: Boozer was half empty as well.

There's two 60k seater stadiums that would take a lot of pressure off the city at least during the game.

On a another note if your flight is on Thursday morning make sure you have your travel back to airport nailed on because it's not going to be a case of just sorting a taxi.

Its not. The city is lovely, but full of very narrow traditional Spanish streets. It’s a similar size to Edinburgh - probably smaller and it’s population will likely grow by a 7th for a couple of days.
You have to wonder how a stadium of 40k has won a Europa cup final? I know there was a change of venue but it’s not like Europe isn’t blessed with huge cities and stadiums. Something stinks but such is Uefa.
Back to back Finals for us in Europe in 40,000 odd capacity stadiums.

Big concern is that the game is 9 days away..

Will that be enough time to organise the opening of other stadiums/2 separate fan zones etc…?

As said in the other thread, the existing plans Seville have in place for the week are a complete joke.

I think they were probably banking on a Barca vs RB Leipzig final kind of deal. Which would have meant their flimsy plans would probably have worked out no bother.

Literally couldn't have wished for a worse set of finalists, at least from a logistical stand point. Tens of thousands of Scots and Germans. Going to be wild.

I think the club will have to try and get something sorted to try and entice people to stay home, several screens at Ibrox and have it fill as much as possible would go a long way. If we get even half the numbers of Manchester in Seville and Frankfurt will do the same it's going to be a disaster I feel.

People are booked and won't take the Financial hit

I won't be travelling without a ticket in all honesty.

Lessons learned from Manchester. I don't want to miss this game like I did the last one.
I have no interest in traveling to Seville without a ticket in the hope I can see one of the biggest matches Rangers have played in my lifetime on a screen level in a park or a TV in a pub.

I genuinely don’t understand this fascination with being in the same city as the match and convincing yourself that you “were there”.

Last edited:
Obviously if you're booked then go, but plenty of people will still be thinking it over. It's a ton of money for most.
Money is always going to be relative but I'm actually surprised at the relatively low cost of flights there and back provided you're willing to do a bit of plane hopping.

I have no interest in traveling to Seville without a ticket to hope I can see one of the biggest matches Rangers have played in my lifetime on a screen level in a park or a TV in a pub.

I genuinely don’t understand this fascination with being in the same city as the match and convincing yourself that you “were there”.
That's nice. I wasn't in Manchester and I still regret it to this day.

I think the club will have to try and get something sorted to try and entice people to stay home, several screens at Ibrox and have it fill as much as possible would go a long way. If we get even half the numbers of Manchester in Seville and Frankfurt will do the same it's going to be a disaster I feel.

I think it's likely that the majority of people have already booked their travel to Spain, so trying to keep them at home is probably too late.

The combination of sun, alcohol, neds and the Spanish police could be the perfect storm. Not to mention tens of thousands of pissed up Germans too!

That's nice. I wasn't in Manchester and I still regret it to this day.
I wasn’t either - I had a ticket and had to give it up at the last minute.

I remember speaking with one of my mates at around 3pm and he said they were heading back to their hotel to have a few pints in the bar because there were just too many people in the city center.
Shelling out hundreds of pounds to end up watching a match on the TV just seems like madness to me.

They got it because they thought Seville would be in the final as per….instead they got the worst possible outcome as far as fan numbers goes!

The obvious solution would be to open the 60k seater Real Betis stadium and the 57k stadium that hosted the 2003 final, allocate a stadium to each club and have a big screens on the pitch showing the game.
It makes sense but the Spanish police might have something to say as they would then have to police 3 stadiums full of football fans.

Will they have the infrastructure to cope with this invasion?

Population of just under 700k. I’m guessing we’ll be adding over 10% to that tally for a few days.

Germans be looking to travel in numbers also.

I hope the place isn’t overwhelmed :eek: transport, places to watch the game etc. they’d do well to have fan zones similar to what we had in Glasgow Green for the Euros.

Might just be flapping but demand seems phenomenal.
Based on what I’ve read, even Faro won’t be big enough

Was there last week during their annual festival Feria De Abril. Its held in a massive park on the other side of the river from the centre that could easily be used for a fan zone.

It was rammed, as much as 850k people attend on the last night apparently but the city seemed to cope.

The difference however will be that people spread out across the city before they attend the festival and the area where the festival is held is so large, what will inevitably happen is that supporters of both sides will congregate in Santa Cruz where all the tourist sites are and it will just be chaos. There's lots of bars around there but they're all mostly small and mostly don't have Tv's.

If people spread out or at least are encouraged to spread out by proper organisation then it would be fine I imagine but have a feeling it will end up being a bit of a shit show.

I've still not pulled the trigger on flights yet, still dithering whether I will go or not but if I do my mate has rented an apartment and I think the best option might just be watching it there with a carry out.

Aside from the stadium where the final is, there's 2 other stadiums in Seville with a combined capacity of 110k. There's no reason why there shouldn't be a dedicated fanzone for each team at the other stadiums. Get those fans in the stadiums, big screens etc.
That would be a smart approach.

I have no interest in traveling to Seville without a ticket in the hope I can see one of the biggest matches Rangers have played in my lifetime on a screen level in a park or a TV in a pub.

Better regret the things you’ve done than the things you haven’t

They got it because they thought Seville would be in the final as per….instead they got the worst possible outcome as far as fan numbers goes!

I suspect this was likely the thought process. Or at the very least, they suspected that two of the bigger sides would meet and wouldn't be that arsed about it.

I doubt anyone would have predicted two sides with massive fan bases, who seldom make major european finals, would be the eventual finalists.

As I posted in the other thread, the SLO says Rangers will be out in Seville on Monday/Tuesday to discuss plans for watching the game there safely (such as fanzones).
Would be the best outcome mate if there is an arrangement where fans get into a stadium each out of the other two. Hopefully from early afternoon each set of ticketless fans would start gravitating towards there and away from the city centre/match venue. Would limit potential for trouble and general nonsense surely.

Hopefully both clubs can communicate it to authorities exactly what they are going to be dealing with and take the appropriate action and not just do a Manchester Council job.
If the club are unsatisfied they also need to communicate this to the support rather than keeping shtum.

Last edited:

Found this on YT from when West Ham and Frankfurt were in Seville at the same time.

Inevitable similar scenes are likely to occur if fan zones/other stadiums aren’t in the planning.

As I posted in the other thread, the SLO says Rangers will be out in Seville on Monday/Tuesday to discuss plans for watching the game there safely (such as fanzones).
Missed this post. That would make a ton of sense.

Sure, police might be stretched if they for example take the approach of using the 2 other stadiums too. But I'm sure the city of Seville can see the Euro signs on front of their eyes already.

It makes sense but the Spanish police might have something to say as they would then have to police 3 stadiums full of football fans.
Surely given the alternative it would be an absolute no brainer for them.

It's not as though it's policing 3 staadiums v policing only one. It's policing 3 stadiums with people on a hopefully orderly and manageable manner versus one stadium and a city full of a hundred thousand opposing fans.

Plaza de Espana

Carry out and get doon there, looks massive and tremendous looking

Edit: and its close to the stadium

Plaza_de_Espa%C3%B1a_%28Sevilla%29_-_01.jpg

Might hire a boat and row to the other side again. Some workout to make it all the way to the other side and back in the allotted time. :))

It’s walkable from the old town so if that’s near the stadium anyone staying in the old town can walk to the ground which is good.

What gets me is that it’s generally a popular tourist city so while midweek you have to imagine there will be ordinary sight see’ers in for a hell of a shock!!!

There will be many hoping against hope that a ticket opportunity pops up. It's not a fascination, it's about hope and belief. In the likely event those fans don't get a ticket they will feel they were there and part of the celebration.
Are you a Rangers fan? If so you are very negative and a wet blanket to say the least.

Might hire a boat and row to the other side again. Some workout to make it all the way to the other side and back in the allotted time. :))

It’s walkable from the old town so if that’s near the stadium anyone staying in the old town can walk to the ground which is good.

What gets me is that it’s generally a popular tourist city so while midweek you have to imagine there will be ordinary sight see’ers in for a hell of a shock!!!
Hah can you imagine walking out your hotel with your new and faced with 100k bears going mental:D

People saying there will only be 50,000 bears there?! I think there will be at least double that. F*cking shocking if C*ltic took more in 2003

That Plaza is about 1km or so from the stadium

edit: as the crow flies, however its a 3km walk (25/30mins)

I wasn’t either - I had a ticket and had to give it up at the last minute.

I remember speaking with one of my mates at around 3pm and he said they were heading back to their hotel to have a few pints in the bar because there were just too many people in the city center.
Shelling out hundreds of pounds to end up watching a match on the TV just seems like madness to me.

Me and the wife flew from Oz without tickets just to be there. Absolutely no regrets even though it cost well over £5k.

Back