Rangers are in talks with the council for an open top bus parade

uneasydaz

Rangers have held talks with Glasgow City Council over the possibility of an open-top bus parade should the club win the Europa League.

A council spokesperson said there will be an “understandable desire” for Rangers to show off the trophy with fans.

The Ibrox club booked their place in the Europa League final at the Ramón Sánchez-Pizjuán Stadium on May 18 after a thrilling 3-1 win against RB Leipzig.

Following the victory, it has been revealed that Rangers have held talks with council leaders and local authorities over the possibility of an open top bus parade in Glasgow – should the club win the competition.

The council confirmed that it has been in touch with “relevant partners” over plans for a celebration in the city.

A spokesperson said: “If Rangers are successful in next week’s Europa League final there will be an understandable desire for the club to show off the trophy to their fans.

“We are currently in touch with all relevant partners on how such an event might be facilitated.”

Police chief superintendent Mark Sutherland, divisional commander for Greater Glasgow Division, said: “The Europa League final in Seville will be a historic occasion and getting there is a great achievement for Rangers Football Club and Scottish football.

“A proportionate policing plan will be in place, and we will be working with a range of partners, including Rangers Football Club and Glasgow City Council, to ensure we do all we can to maintain public safety and reduce disruption to the wider community.

“From the outset we hope that fans enjoy their day but ask that they take personal responsibility to behave appropriately and respect Glasgow, its open spaces and its communities.”

Is Glasgow the only city in the world where this wouldn’t already be pencilled in should we do the business next Wednesday?

The game should be shown on big screens in Glasgow Green and/or Bellahouston Park also. Again any other City other than Glasgow I’m sure this would already be in place.

An open top bus tour with potentially 2 trophies on show.

I can see complete an utter meltdown from the rest of Scottish society if that were to happen but if we win the Europa, timmy will have to face facts and realise we are the first Scottish club to win multiple European trophies and an open top bus parade is the least we deserve.

I say give the players the freedom of the city as well.

Let’s play the game first. All this over confidence is giving me the fear.

Frankfurt are heavy favourites at the bookies for a reason. They haven’t lost a single game in European football for a year.
What bookies you looking at?

Frankfurt are heavy favourites at the bookies for a reason. They haven’t lost a single game in European football for a year.
Haha...ffs
Folk greetin because club weren't proactive in securing a fanzine now greeting because they are being proactive.
You don't actually think if we win on Wednesday we pick up the phone and tell the police we'll be having an open top parade on Sunday do you?

They're hardly "heavy" favourites.

You said according to the bookies they’re heavy favourites, they obviously aren’t as the bookies have them 8/13.
Which is heavy favourites compared to us. Only two teams can win it, and they are favourites to do so.

Looks like the council have leaked this and not us, these things need to be planned.

Which is heavy favourites compared to us. Only two teams can win it, and they are favourites to do so.
I'm not a betting man, but if they were to be heavy favourites, wouldn't we need to be placed at 20:1 or something like that

They’re not heavy favourites, they’re slight favourites

You need to plan this stuff with the authorities and other stakeholders as far in advance as you can.

Rangers have held talks with Glasgow City Council over the possibility of an open-top bus parade should the club win the Europa League.

A council spokesperson said there will be an “understandable desire” for Rangers to show off the trophy with fans.

The Ibrox club booked their place in the Europa League final at the Ramón Sánchez-Pizjuán Stadium on May 18 after a thrilling 3-1 win against RB Leipzig.

Following the victory, it has been revealed that Rangers have held talks with council leaders and local authorities over the possibility of an open top bus parade in Glasgow – should the club win the competition.

The council confirmed that it has been in touch with “relevant partners” over plans for a celebration in the city.

A spokesperson said: “If Rangers are successful in next week’s Europa League final there will be an understandable desire for the club to show off the trophy to their fans.

“We are currently in touch with all relevant partners on how such an event might be facilitated.”

Police chief superintendent Mark Sutherland, divisional commander for Greater Glasgow Division, said: “The Europa League final in Seville will be a historic occasion and getting there is a great achievement for Rangers Football Club and Scottish football.

“A proportionate policing plan will be in place, and we will be working with a range of partners, including Rangers Football Club and Glasgow City Council, to ensure we do all we can to maintain public safety and reduce disruption to the wider community.

“From the outset we hope that fans enjoy their day but ask that they take personal responsibility to behave appropriately and respect Glasgow, its open spaces and its communities.”
I am so superstitious that I hate all this sort of talk.

Frankfurt are favourites but not heavy favourites, where did you get that from ?

Heavy favourites would be 1/3 or more on etc

If we don't request this now and wait until after we win it then it would never happen so of course the club need to plan ahead, it doesn't mean they think its a 100% guaranteed win.

I'm not a betting man, but if they were to be heavy favourites, wouldn't we need to be placed at 20:1 or something like that
Not in a one off game between two teams.

Anyway I’ll say favourites instead of heavy, it makes no odds.

We need to just try and focus on the game and forget all this other sideshow stuff until 10pm next Wednesday. Then we will know. I’m trying not to overthink it but I must have already saw the game unfold in my minds eye a hundred times. All consuming.

I don’t trust their scumbag fans not to somehow sabotage it to start violence & sour our celebrations.

Give me inside Ibrox & I’m good.

I can see GCC having great pleasure in refusing permission citing their fear of disruption and trouble after last year. The vast majority of their councillors want us beaten so don't expect any favours or a civic reception if we do win. They'd roll out the red lumpy carpet for that other mob.
Any info leaked by GCC or police is to allow the clowns who hate us to get their usual pretend complaints of fear for safety etc in action before a ball is kicked.

Theyre favourites simply because German Football compared to Scottish Football is a different sport never mind a different level. The odds are to entice the betting market and dont really reflect what is, essentially, a 50/50 game if you look at performances to date.

As for a parade of any kind through the City I would be beyond amazed if it was green lit.

They are a good side. We have beaten better but we will need to play as we have against the likes of Dortmund away and Leipzig and Braga at home to prevail.

Back