Help needed

Wonkychops

So I have a ticket for Wednesday with my son and wife, I played in a charity match on saturday for a freind who lost his life. Anyway I broke my ankle and I'm literally just out of surgery, and been told it's too dangerous to fly, and must keep it mobile and stuff, anyone able to help with a campervan hire or any other ideas, I need to be there I'm totally devastated. Please help a bear out

Guy I know who was driving set off yesterday.

Is it the air pressure on the flight that’s the problem or the sitting in confined space?

If it’s the space you could swap seats with someone in the isle seat and stick your leg out

So I have a ticket for Wednesday with my son and wife, I played in a charity match on saturday for a freind who lost his life. Anyway I broke my ankle and I'm literally just out of surgery, and been told it's too dangerous to fly, and must keep it mobile and stuff, anyone able to help with a campervan hire or any other ideas, I need to be there I'm totally devastated. Please help a bear out
I could go in your place, I could take loads of pictures for you.

In all seriousness though it might be tough finding a campervan rental place that will allow u to take it abroad. Best of luck

Guy I know who was driving set off yesterday.

Is it the air pressure on the flight that’s the problem or the sitting in confined space?

If it’s the space you could swap seats with someone in the isle seat and stick your leg out
Bit of both mate obviously flying after operation increases the risk of clotting , so asked the surgeon if I can drive and not ideal sittin in a car all that time, that's why was thinking about a campervan etc where I could keep more mobile

I would go tbh. I'm sure you will be able to stretch it out and keep it elevated and that. Maybe even tell the doctor you are going and what the best way to manage it is.

Bit of both mate obviously flying after operation increases the risk of clotting , so asked the surgeon if I can drive and not ideal sittin in a car all that time, that's why was thinking about a campervan etc where I could keep more mobile
It’s your call mate. If I was in your situation and lucky enough to have a ticket I would go.

Batter the aspirin, get an isle seat and stick your leg out.

Bad luck mate, I’m roughly the same as you, I fractured my Heel Bone (Calcaneus) in several bits 4 weeks ago and had surgery to correct it, the surgeon said it was a jigsaw puzzle putting it back together, I take it you have either a cast/boot with crutches, if a cast then some airlines don’t allow flying within 48 hours of having a cast due to blood clots (I have got to Jag my stomach every day for 6 weeks), and keep my foot elevated as much as possible to help the healing along, I was on Oral Morphine in the hospital overnight after surgery and then tramadol when I came out, just went Cold Turkey 5 days ago and came off all the pain relief as I was like a zombie.

I take it everything I’ve said above with cast/boot, crutches, jags, pain relief and elevation is the same with you, TBH I couldn’t go abroad the way I am, are you really sure you can manage especially with stairs etc ?

EDIT

Forgot to add, I am supposed to be in Chamonix France visiting family with my Wife and Son from Friday there until tomorrow flying with Easy Jet and had to cancel as well as Consultant spoke about needing rest as well as clots etc, although it wasn’t a game to see the Bears it was extremely disappointing to miss as it was planned for 6 months, I understand I can go again and we won’t maybe make another final for a long time.

Last edited:
Surely if confined spaces are an issue, travelling by plane is your best option. Fùck sitting on a bus for 30 hours with a broken ankle.

Bad luck mate, I’m roughly the same as you, I broke my Heel Bone (Calcaneus) is several bits 3 weeks ago and had surgery to correct it, the surgeon said it was a jigsaw puzzle putting it back together, I take it you have either a cast/boot with crutches, if a cast then some airlines don’t allow flying within 48 hours of having a cast due to blood clots (I have got to Jag my stomach every day for 6 weeks), and keep my foot elevated as much as possible to help the healing along.

I take it everything I’ve said above with cast/boot, crutches, jags and elevation is the same with you, TBH I couldn’t go abroad the way I am, are you really sure you can manage especially with stairs etc ?
Yes mate basically exactly the same I'm currently just out recovery and awaiting the surgeon for .ore info but this is all stuff that was mentioned jags etc.

Is that possible never even thought of this to be honest
I think just about if you get going soon enough.
Train to London then through the Tunnel.

My high speed train journey from Cordoba to Seville is something ridiculous like 145km in 45 minutes. It’s not Scotrail.

Campervan is probably more confined than a couple of planes. 2 hours on a plane (or 2 x 2 hours) vs 28 hours in the front of a camper

I used BonnyScotlandCampers and hired them for a week on a few occasions. Cost about £900 so that'll be slightly higher. Would need to see if they were OK for cross border.

Cappielow?

Take some aspirin, that thins your blood. The flight is about 4 hours, just get up and walk up and down the aisle.

I am not a doctor so i can't be held responsible for my advice.
Take aspirin every day already mate but still they're not happy to let me fly. Even adding injections for the flights

Yes mate basically exactly the same I'm currently just out recovery and awaiting the surgeon for .ore info but this is all stuff that was mentioned jags etc.

Listen mate, I understand your really gutted about possibly missing the game, but I would seriously consider trying to make the trip as your going to be in a lot of pain and discomfort for the next 2/3 weeks, I was in the GRI Orthopaedic Ward for only one night as I am lucky enough to stay in a Flat with a lift and my Wife can look after me.

I currently lying in my kip with foot elevated and going to the hospital tomorrow to get my stitches out, this is 4 weeks after the accident and 3 weeks after surgery and I am still struggling to get about.

So have a serious think about things.

Listen mate, I understand your really gutted about possibly missing the game, but I would seriously consider trying to make the trip as your going to be in a lot of pain and discomfort for the next 2/3 weeks, I was in the GRI Orthopaedic Ward for only one night as I am lucky enough to stay in a flat and my Wife can look after me.

I currently lying in my kip with foot elevated and going to the hospital tomorrow to get my stitches out, this is 4 weeks after the accident and 3 weeks after surgery and I am still struggling to get about.

So have a serious think about things.
This is probably the best advice you will get on here mate as you are both in very similar situations

Possible to find a flight with business class cabin/flat sleeper, might help.

Aer Lingus run some to Faro from Dublin, I'm on one tomorrow morning in their business class.

My mate fractured his heel over in Copenhagen last nov, spent about 5 hrs in hospital after the game getting him looked at , gave him crutches , bandaged him up ect , and also strongly advised him not to fly, We left the hospital straight to the airport and did 2 flights to get back to Glasgow , Your call bud

My mate fractured his heel over in Copenhagen last nov, spent about 5 hrs in hospital after the game getting him looked at , gave him crutches , bandaged him up ect , and also strongly advised him not to fly, We left the hospital straight to the airport and did 2 flights to get back to Glasgow , Your call bud
There’s a difference mate, the OP has had an operation which can cause blood clots, your mate by your post has just been bandaged up.

If I had a ticket, there's not much that would keep me from going to the match... but a broken ankle and with flying out the equation? I'd be admitting defeat, as sore as that sounds. Clotting will just be one part of it - being on your feet must also come with huge ramifications when the guidance is stay home, still and elevated. Hope you heal quick mate, match or not!

PS if you need someone to take that ticket, happy to help

If yer wife can drive, just hire a van. Sort stuff in the back for when you need a lie down.
Get accommodation on the way and back when you need it and if nothing available in Seville then it is only 1 shoite night in the van for the three of you.

You should be fine to fly mate. When I was growing up, the NHS flew me down to London to get operations and back up here no bother. Sometimes within a week. They just need to tell you about risks so that it doesn't fall back on them should anything happen.

I was up and down every 12 weeks until I was 16.

PS. I still can't walk but that has hee haw to do with the flights lol.

PPS. They also tell us about risks under anaesthetic but we still do it.

Last edited:
If you don’t make it then there’s always the Super Cup Final, 10th August 2022 (hopefully) if you can get tickets for you and your family as a small consultation.

Back