Gio, the board and the summer

CraigM14

Now before anyone thinks this is a knee jerk thread after tonight, it’s far from that. Since his arrival, Gio has had a fairly mixed bag I think it’s fair to say, however by getting us as far as he did and to take us so close shows he has something about him. He’s tactically switched on, flexible and more impressively for me, took a team of someone else’s players to another level and into a European Final. The summer is an absolute certainty to be one of complete overhaul so the baton is now passed to the board. We will sell, most likely Kamara, Aribo, possible Morelos and Kent as well as losing the likes of Goldson, McGregor and Davis from the wage will. With Robertson telling SSN the other day that the euro run has earned us slightly more than the CL group stages and add in a minimum of £20m from sales, they quite simply have to back Gio. He’s not been perfect domestically, but after the euro run he’s absolutely earned the right to be backed and backed properly at that. Failure to do so will simply see us fall back into the managerial merry to round

Summer spending will be modest unless we secure CL group football. I expect atleast one of Aribo, Kent, Morelos or Kamara to go to fund our rebuild.

I get that we have to manage our finances in more balanced manner going forwards but equally we (Board and support) can't expect Gio to deliver CL qualification if he finds 3-4 of this current team sold from under him with limited resource to replace them. We need to strike a perfect balance between risk and reward. Frankly I don't envy the people making those decisions and the track record in the past few years has been patchy in that regard. An interesting summer ahead, but really has the potential for just about anything to happen.

GVB needs to be given a chance to build his own team now, he has shown in Europe that he is very good tactically and I’ve been impressed with how he has gelled the team together in recent weeks after some poor results.

I expect a number of players like Aribo, Kent and Goldson will see this as the time to move on. We need to move players on quickly and strengthen ahead of the qualifiers

A better January window and potentially were sitting here right now looking at a treble.

Going into a major European final with only one half fit striker on the bench kind of sums up just how poor our recruitment has been that needs to change.

Board need to back the manager now as well. Club must have brought in £30m from Europe and £16m from Gerrard/Paterson.

If, factoring in sales etc we haven’t spent the best part of 20 million this summer our board need a firm kick in the baws

We need to qualify for the cl before any spending will be done
We need to spend to get into the UCL.
That was the mistake we made this season.
We didn’t invest and it cost us UCL and the league title although the Europa League run was remarkable.

We have got to get shot of the dead wood now. Goldson honestly in my opinion can go right now. McGregor, Davis and Balogun can go as well. We need to sell Kamara, Aribo and possibly Kent to try and bring in decent funds. But with some of the shite we have been linked with I'm genuinely concerned at Wilson and the type of players he is looking at.

Do we go straight into them or do we need to play qualifying rounds?
I honestly dont know
We go into qr3 champins league. Go out at either stage we drop into the Europa League, same as hearts, guaranteed conference league group stages whatever.

As for sales, we are going to need to deal with the fact we are going to lose multiple players. We also need to lose multiple players if we want to regenerate a winning squad. Recruitment will be vital and hopefully early.

One more thing. Please never do the Premiership darling on loan again. It never, ever works.

He deserves the chance to build his own team
Exactly this - despite the loss of the lead in the league, Gio has shown enough in Europe & the Scottish Cup (so far) to have the chance to supplement the core (and the exciting youngsters we have) with a few choice signings. I‘m excited to see what the team looks like next season.

We have got to get shot of the dead wood now. Goldson honestly in my opinion can go right now. McGregor, Davis and Balogun can go as well. We need to sell Kamara, Aribo and possibly Kent to try and bring in decent funds. But with some of the shite we have been linked with I'm genuinely concerned at Wilson and the type of players he is looking at.
These players you call “dead wood” took us to a Europa League final.

These players you call “dead wood” took us to a Europa League final.
So we just keep them? We have not been good this season irrelevant of the Europa League final. We have got to rebuild the team with good players and to do that we need to free up wages etc

We go into qr3 champins league. Go out at either stage we drop into the Europa League, same as hearts, guaranteed conference league group stages whatever.

As for sales, we are going to need to deal with the fact we are going to lose multiple players. We also need to lose multiple players if we want to regenerate a winning squad. Recruitment will be vital and hopefully early.

One more thing. Please never do the Premiership darling on loan again. It never, ever works.
Thanks for the answer, mate.
I hope we can keep hold of Alfie, Kent and Kamara, Aribo and Goldson are gone, for sure.
I agree, no more ridiculous loan signings, no more experiments

It’s mass exodus stuff from here.

No chance Goldson hangs around, the remainder with a year left likely go for under their real value and we’re rebuilding with no real money to replace unless we can drag the remainder of the squad to the CL.

Tonight is a fucking disaster considering the opposition.

Summer spending will be modest unless we secure CL group football. I expect atleast one of Aribo, Kent, Morelos or Kamara to go to fund our rebuild.
I'll be shocked if most of those players don't see this as a natural stopping point.

They've done everything and more they could in a Rangers shirt.

Tbh with Kent, Aribo and Kamara I feel its time to move on. All 3 are great on their day but we've started to see diminishing returns on them in the league.

Try and get our monies worth and hopefully properly reinvest it in the team.

There will be 2 budgets EL and CL, money must be spent prior to CL qualifiers though, it doesn't have to be vast but 2 or 3 players need brought in sharpish.

I do work for his neighbour and friend, and he told me in March he’s been offered 4x his wages by a team in London and will be away. Unfortunately

Are both his neighbour and friend saying he's away or are they the same person?

It sounds like this is 100% based on your sources, what fee are we expecting to get given he has 2 years left on his deal? Or did your solid source / sources not go into transfer fees?

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

We need to qualify for the cl before any spending will be done

We need to spend money or we'll be lucky to even get through the qualifiers...

Look where not spending got us last time against Malmo...

So we might lose about 3 or 4 first team players and go with what we have based on your ideas of only spending if we qualify?

Back