Comments on here about fans and lack of tifo

Some of the comments on here are a disgrace. Slating fans for not singing loud enough, leaving after the final whistle etc.

Calling their fellow supporters not real fans etc.

You do not know what you are talking about. You weren't there and don't know the circumstances of the supporters, the fact that we had to leave to get buses or back to go to the airport.

Thats the worst experience I have faced at a ground in Europe. The stadium was terrible and we were treated differently to their fans. They could bring in pyros yet we had everything taken off us.

As for the tifo, I've read it cost them over 50,000 euros and they brought it over from Germany using 5 vans.

Maybe time to treat your fellow fans with some respect.
Great Post OP

34 degrees, in direct sunlight, no water or any other fluids, starting to feel the effects of dehydration. Perfect conditions for a singsong! I have been drinking copious amounts of water all day today and still feeling the effects of dehydration

Some of the comments on here are a disgrace. Slating fans for not singing loud enough, leaving after the final whistle etc.

You do not know what you are talking about. You weren't there and don't know the circumstances of the supporters, the fact that we had to leave to get buses or back to go to the airport.

Thats the worst experience I have faced at a ground in Europe. The stadium was terrible and we were treated differently to their fans. They could bring in pyros yet we had everything taken off us.

As for the tifo, I've read it cost them over 50,000 euros and they brought it over from Germany using 5 vans.

I appreciate it was very hot etc
As a punter stuck in front of my shitty tv this is what I saw and heard
I saw a stadium with what looked like 70% Rangers and 30% Frankfurt
I heard constant singing from Frankfurt with bits and pieces at times from Rangers
Now maybe the microphone placement was wrong by broadcasters but it’s just how that came across at the time on our wee TVs

I was at the game last night and said the same to my mate that i thought the support were unusually quiet. Even the small pocket of Union Bears weren’t their usual self. Think a combination of nerves, heat and drink had taken it’s toll. We could have been doing with substituting the crowd at half time and bring in those in the fanzones. Didn’t help that where we sitting there was 5-6 older guys right behind us moaning and asking us to sit down during the game because apparently being 66 is too old to stand.

Our board really fucked the whole ticketing situation, too busy looking after themselves and their pals along with too many tickets to ex players. We needed proper supporters in the ground, the rank and file who played a massive part in getting the team to the final should have been a priority but they were overlooked for people who never go to games.

The board should be held accountable.

How many times have we played opposition with the Ultras culture where the numbers mean we are expected to match or top their noise level?

Their end was coordinated, a single chant or song with near 100% participation.

Our end had random songs breaking out all over the place which were over before the neighbouring sections caught on.

Also, our noise us generated organically based on what happens on the pitch, whereas the Germans were at it all of the time. They barely missed a beat when we scored.
To be fair Germans are amongst the most Co-ordinated and disciplined people on the planet. We were never going to “Out Co-ordinate” them.

Haven’t met any fan who was at the game moaning about the atmosphere. Seems to all be coming from people not at the game ?

Was all singing, standing and supporting where I was. Shame there was no display before the game but que sera.
I agree with this, seems to be people who couldn't go lashing out at those who were lucky enough to get a ticket.

I was at the game last night and said the same to my mate that i thought the support were unusually quiet. Even the small pocket of Union Bears weren’t their usual self. Think a combination of nerves, heat and drink had taken it’s toll. We could have been doing with substituting the crowd at half time and bring in those in the fanzones. Didn’t help that where we sitting there was 5-6 older guys right behind us moaning and asking us to sit down during the game because apparently being 66 is too old to stand.
In that heat, with no water or shade, it’s perfectly acceptable albeit not great for atmosphere.

Yes, some of the comments are out of order and the support were put in shocking situation. Weren’t the EF fans in a similar situation?

Anyway, I guess it comes down to wether or not you believe supporters can be the twelfth man or not.

Many clearly do when we play in Europe at Ibrox.

Some would say it’s a reason we got to the final this season.

Yet when EF go to the effort of all dressing the same colour, have an impressive tifo organised and outsing a larger support for large portions of the game somehow it doesn’t make a difference?

Some people need to make up their minds.

The defeat is hard to take. There are lessons there to be learned. That’s the important part for me. The next time we reach a final we can maybe do more to get behind the team and try to recreate the atmosphere of Ibrox on a European night? Might make a difference?

Last edited:
Just nerves I think. The whole occasion was just so big. I was probably more nervous before and during that game than ever before simply because of the magnitude of it. I know I wasn't my usual self when I was watching it, so i'd not be surprised the fans in the stadium were feeling the same.
I was there, yes the support weren’t the best vocally but nerves, heat, bevvy all played a part in that.
Totally agree with u, I wasn’t myself either, a nervous wreck!:eek:

I was there and I'm entitled to my opinion, our support was vocally very poor last night, no where near as good as Leipzig away tbh.

I understand the weather played a massive part and lack of water, Frankfurt fans were superb tbf to them.
I was lucky to be there and would say that there was way more fans around us that weren’t ‘overly bothered’… they defo wanted rangers to win but not gutted at end if that makes sense.
Not sure if that was reality or they were just hammered

Yes, some of the comments are out of order and the support were put in shocking situation. Weren’t the EF fans in a similar situation?

Anyway, I guess it comes down to wether or not you believe supporters can be the twelfth man or not.

Yet when EF go to the effort of all dressing the same colour, have an impressive tifo organised and outsing a larger support for large portions of the game somehow it doesn’t make a difference?

The defeat is hard to take. There are lessons there to be learned. That’s the important part for me. The next time we reach a final we can maybe do more to get behind the team and try to recreate the atmosphere of Ibrox on a European night? Might make a difference?
There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that the German fans helped their team last night.

I think for some it might be a good idea to stay off FF or any type of social media for a few days.

When you're deflated, hungover after last night and you have the tendency to morph into a miserable person to other people, just give it a miss.

People have went great lengths to make it there and spent a fortune. To now sit here and criticise the support because it didn't come over loud enough in the telly is pathetic.

I am delighted with our Euro campaign this season. Winning would have been the cherry on the icing but it’s sport and we came up just short. I think the team gave their all and were far from embarrassed in taking it all the way to penalties. No criticism of individual players. It was a great campaign. Our fans behaved well in Seville and were a credit to our club from a security perspective. Yes, the stadium was a clusterf*ck; the police arbitrary; and the conditions challenging. All fair points.

My one regret is that we didn’t sing well on the night. There was more noise in that bar under the big pergola structure in the town centre the night before the match. And on the day of the match in the afternoon sun. I posted on another thread that we seemed to greatly outnumber the EF support. I was wrong. Most of them were just keeping their powder dry.

We on the other hand blew a collective gasket before the first whistle. I had to point a few guys in the direction of their gate on the way in. They were so pissed they couldn’t focus their eyes. I had to read their phones to see their gate. I’d be surprised if they saw much of the game. Their choice obviously, but I thought there was too much of that. I sang as much as I could in the neutral section but no bugger around me would join in. At the end of game, one of the Germans in front of me said ‘well done but why did you bring those pussies with you?’ Maybe we’ll remember to pace ourselves next time. And there WILL be a next time!
Totally agree here. I was in the corner above the tv pit with super Ally. There was a fan next to who said that this was his first ever Rangers game. He asked what the words were to some of the songs.
As for supporters being pissed, again if you don’t travel to games, you think you are on a lads holiday and get pissed. Not what the team need or the real supporter. Unfortunately UEFA won’t change their ticketing methods I presume.

I agree with this, seems to be people who couldn't go lashing out at those who were lucky enough to get a ticket.
Yep spot on, as if they themselves would have made the difference to the crowd, braindeed arseholes everywhere

It's also just an utterly fatuous point.

As if the players would've looked up and gone "oooh wow a huge flag and look they are all wearing the same colour, I must try extra hard in this once in a lifetime opportunity and win the biggest game of my life".
Ridiculous comment. Totally misses the point.

The TIFO isn't for the players. It's for the fans. To generate an atmosphere of togetherness and presence .... of 'owning' a venue. And from that, to intimidate or drown out the opposition fans or players.

Drums are used for precisely that reason. Continental fans have been using them for decades. They break up the rhythm of opposition fans singing...and can prevent a momentum from getting going. Braga at Ibrox was a case in point.

The Frankfurt fans had thousands of white flags last night. It looked awesome. We had zip.

Do the math.

We lost on penalties.

You would honestly think we got scudded 4-0 by the reaction of people on here.
Erm. Yes. We did.

It’s clearly not a defined science but what if we were as noisy as the Germans. It may not have gone to penalties. Speculation of course.

But having a relatively quiet support isn’t going to help players

I think all the factors people have mentioned played a part heat, expectations, dehydratio, the trek to the stadium and including who got tickets. Guys we were speaking to earlier said when they started singing folk round them looked at them like they’d two heads. There was people there who were just there more for a three day party rather than supporting the team. There was more threads on here about where folk could get drink, could they get drink on the train, would there be drink in the stadium than there was about the team.

The fact they had a lovely looking display and had 3 or 4 pretty basic chants that they repeated over and over contributed zero to our poor performance.

I was sat in neutral zone and atmosphere was tense and nervous during the game, and thinking back, it was the same in Manchester at points. So much more at stake in these games and that shows in the stands.

We could sign and shout all we wanted but we needed our players to show more courage. They've played in worse temperatures and hotter atmospheres than that, so us blaming their tifo and fans is a bit of a stretch.

This is the bit for me . I was lucky to be there with my lads but many mates who travel regularly to euro away games ,were stood in fanzones due to the way tickets were allocated. Plenty gold member day trippers who don’t bother with euro away games normally ,showed up on their first trip. Staff and pals of staff. Not right imo
Get back to the travel club and award the regular travellers

What about the people that were there and also deserved to be there, that have also said it was shocking and they are glad they’ll not have to see the majority of that Rangers support again?

Ultimately it was Rangers choice to dilute the Rangers end with thousands of ex players, staff, families, sponsors or anyone with a slightest connection with the club. Do I think that could be a wee bit sinister as to why they done that? Wouldn’t put it past them.

What needs to stop though is folk categorising themselves and others, it’s been constant since we beat Leipzig on who is the bigger Rangers man and who deserves this because they’ve spent X amount or who can and cannot have an opinion on something due to where the watched the final. Bonkers.
Me and my son missed out in the mygers ballotby 3 points,we go all the time to Ibrox and I catch 3-4 away games while he goes all the time.i ended up paying a lot of money for the in the neutral zone .After the shambles of getting in we had to sit in the concourse because we were in direct sunlight the union bears were giving it big licks and the Germans were silent,my son turned to me and said they will blow themselves out.A couple of minutes in a Rangers fan in front of us was slumped in front of us stea.ming precedes to fall asleep and miss the full game.Also to the "Rangers fan" who asked my son nursing a broken arm and whose arm was in stookie and therefore couldn't sit down asa I called you last night your a dick

I was there last night and yes the conditions were horrible but they were the same for both sets of fans.

It’s no coincidence that the atmosphere was very flat in Manchester as well.

It’s a combination of how we are allocating tickets and people going to hard early on a leaving themselves burst by time the game comes around.

Erm. Yes. We did.

It’s clearly not a defined science but what if we were as noisy as the Germans. It may not have gone to penalties. Speculation of course.

But having a relatively quiet support isn’t going to help players

And yet we lost in Braga & Leipzig with a large, vocal traveling support.

We lost by the very finest of margins. Some are determined to apportion 'blame'. It's football.

34 degrees, in direct sunlight, no water or any other fluids, starting to feel the effects of dehydration. Perfect conditions for a singsong! I have been drinking copious amounts of water all day today and still feeling the effects of dehydration
Try sparkling mate , after I drank the 3 normal waters left in the hotel vending machine , I had to opt for sparking next , gives me the boak but seemed to do the trick

This has been well overblown in my opinion.

It is similar to when you’re at a Celtic game and say “never heard them all day” and you watch the game back on tv and their songs are easy to hear.

People were trying their best, at my section near the dugout in particular so to come and read people who weren’t there moan and complain is a bit of a kick in the balls and exactly the sort of shite the mentally challengeds lap up.

There were a number of factors but to somehow think our supporters could or should recreate Ibrox at a neutral venue on the other side of the continent is fanciful.

Well said. Fans spent a fortune to get there. All these bt sports fans

Their club paid for it. Our board wouldn’t even open Ibrox. We deserve better.

Ridiculous comment. Totally misses the point.

The TIFO isn't for the players. It's for the fans. To generate an atmosphere of togetherness and presence .... of 'owning' a venue. And from that, to intimidate or drown out the opposition fans or players.

Drums are used for precisely that reason. Continental fans have been using them for decades. They break up the rhythm of opposition fans singing...and can prevent a momentum from getting going. Braga at Ibrox was a case in point.

The Frankfurt fans had thousands of white flags last night. It looked awesome. We had zip.

Do the math.
You think some flags would really have made a difference.

Jesus.

For some to say we made no noise during penalties is shocking. Thats why their players goaded us after they scored as we were trying to put them off.
I was on the half way line, a dozen rows from the pitch. I watched Tav jumping up and down throughout the penalties, asking the support to do more. If the north end was making a lot of noise, there are some funky acoustics in that stadium cos I couldn’t hear much and neither could Tav. Anyway, it’s not blaming anyone. It’s about lessons for the future. And the future will be fine. We will prevail.

I appreciate it was very hot etc
As a punter stuck in front of my shitty tv this is what I saw and heard
I saw a stadium with what looked like 70% Rangers and 30% Frankfurt
I heard constant singing from Frankfurt with bits and pieces at times from Rangers
Now maybe the microphone placement was wrong by broadcasters but it’s just how that came across at the time on our wee TVs
Precisely this.

If Tav was jumping up and down telling the fans to up the noise, then there was definitely a problem.

Whole fanbase last night was flaccid AF

I think it's just an entire combination of events that affected it.
- General stresses of travel
- Fans partying up until kick off in nearly 40 degree heat
- Not enough water facilities for how many of us travelled over there
- Spanish polis being the way they always are as usual
- Fans getting shit taken off them and binned
- Flat game where we could've played better
- Shitty avoidable equalizer
- ET and Penalties

Mix it all together and you get the life drained out of ye.

Watching here in Canada , i got the impression that the support looked like fat cats and connected people and a whole different support than all the other euro away games .

I think it's just an entire combination of events that affected it.
- General stresses of travel
- Fans partying up until kick off in nearly 40 degree heat
- Not enough water facilities for how many of us travelled over there
- Spanish polis being the way they always are as usual
- Fans getting shit taken off them and binned
- Flat game where we could've played better
- Shitty avoidable equalizer
- ET and Penalties

Mix it all together and you get the life drained out of ye.
That all genuinely makes sense and I’m not doubting that for a minute the only thing is … that Frankfurt fans were experiencing largely the exact same conditions and yet they were singing their hearts out and that came across loud and clear on the tv.
It was like they had 80% and we had 20%.
Again it’s just how it comes across on TV.

Despite how many they had and what they had, they have great fans and if they got 500 tickets you can bet they would have still been heard loud and clear, rather than bitch about our fans I'm gonna give credit to theirs. Scotland has this weird "best fans in the world" chip on their shoulder.

That's a very good point about the TIFO being transported. It'd be a logistical nightmare for the Union Bears to try and mobilise a TIFO from Scotland to Spain unless they spent anywhere near the region of what Frankfurt allegedly did. And no doubt Frankfurt actually funded the TIFO, given it's a majority fan owned club.

Some of the posts on here have been embarrassing. I'm a ST holder and was singing at the top of my lungs, but it wasn't our fault that half of the people were fair weather fans. Couple that with the fact that the Frankfurt fans generated an incessantly loud noise that prevented any noise from the small section of Union Bears transmitting to the rest of our end. Guarantee if you replaced half of the fans in our end with people that were at the RB Leipzig game at Ibrox or the Scottish Cup Semi Final at Hampden, it'd be absolutely rocking.

The one lesson that the people who run the club have to learn from this is that the genuine fans - and particularly our away support - should be given far more consideration whenever tickets are being allocated for the bigger games. There were a load of 'fair weather' fans there last night. One guy I know who has maybe been to Ibrox no more than three times in the past five or six years, got a ticket due to the connections of a businessman from the city. And although I love to hear of our fans travelling from far flung corners of the globe, I think that the Bears who never miss a game at Ibrox or away from home should have been far more deserving of the chance to be there last night. I am in no way criticising the Bears who got tickets for last night but on a personal level I would rather the stadium had been filled by the Bears who turn up every week regardless to support Rangers.

I was in S45 and we f*cking sang ourselves hoarse. By the middle of the second half fans were near passing out due to the heat and lack of water. When we scored it was bedlam, and up until they equalised from where I was standing we totally drowned out the Frankfurt fans. Their equaliser really took it out of the bears, we were physically broken but we still gave everything we had.

Until you have experienced heat like that with no water for hours, sharing an empty bottle of coke found behind a seat that we filled from the f*cking toilets then please do me a favour and f*ck up, and f*ck off.

Yes the Frankfurt fans were loud, but it was all orchestrated, it was soulless and it was like they were doing it by rote, rather than with passion.

Also, when they could get in with flags, flares and a massive f*ck off banner yet we had anything the Spanish Police fancied taken off us for their next shift raffle questions need asked.

Latest posts

Back