Comments on here about fans and lack of tifo

jdm1873

Some of the comments on here are a disgrace. Slating fans for not singing loud enough, leaving after the final whistle etc.

Calling their fellow supporters not real fans etc.

You do not know what you are talking about. You weren't there and don't know the circumstances of the supporters, the fact that we had to leave to get buses or back to go to the airport.

Thats the worst experience I have faced at a ground in Europe. The stadium was terrible and we were treated differently to their fans. They could bring in pyros yet we had everything taken off us.

As for the tifo, I've read it cost them over 50,000 euros and they brought it over from Germany using 5 vans.

Maybe time to treat your fellow fans with some respect.

Some of the comments on here are a disgrace. Slating fans for not singing loud enough, leaving after the final whistle etc.

You do not know what you are talking about. You weren't there and don't know the circumstances of the supporters, the fact that we had to leave to get buses or back to go to the airport.

Thats the worst experience I have faced at a ground in Europe. The stadium was terrible and we were treated differently to their fans. They could bring in pyros yet we had everything taken off us.

As for the tifo, I've read it cost them over 50,000 euros and they brought it over from Germany using 5 vans.

That's a very good point about the TIFO being transported. It'd be a logistical nightmare for the Union Bears to try and mobilise a TIFO from Scotland to Spain unless they spent anywhere near the region of what Frankfurt allegedly did. And no doubt Frankfurt actually funded the TIFO, given it's a majority fan owned club.

Some of the posts on here have been embarrassing. I'm a ST holder and was singing at the top of my lungs, but it wasn't our fault that half of the people were fair weather fans. Couple that with the fact that the Frankfurt fans generated an incessantly loud noise that prevented any noise from the small section of Union Bears transmitting to the rest of our end. Guarantee if you replaced half of the fans in our end with people that were at the RB Leipzig game at Ibrox or the Scottish Cup Semi Final at Hampden, it'd be absolutely rocking.

Last edited:
That's a very good point about the TIFO being transported. It'd be a logistical nightmare for the Union Bears to try and mobilise a TIFO from Scotland to Spain unless they spent anywhere near the region of what Frankfurt allegedly did. And no doubt Frankfurt actually funded the TIFO, given it's a majority fan owned club.

Some of the posts on here have been embarrassing. I'm a ST holder and was singing at the top of my lungs, but it wasn't our fault that half of the people were fair weather fans. Couple that with the fact that the Frankfurt fans generated an incessantly loud noise that prevented any noise from the small section of Union Bears transmitting to the rest of our end. Guarantee if you replaced half of the fans in our end with people that were at the RB Leipzig game at Ibrox or the Scottish Cup Semi Final at Hampden and it'd be absolutely rocking.

I was in the section just under Union bears. I think it would have been better if they were doing behind the goal.

Likewise sang my heart out at the game.

The union bears display was not allowed due to the use of bamboo canes the Frankfurt canes were plastic , Spanish cops decided they were not allowing it in despite uefa giving the ok. 2 lads had brought it over in a van drove for 27 hrs in doing so
That’s bad to hear. Good effort trying, still learning all the time I expect - Eintracht are seasoned with all this stuff, especially with the SLO team they have.

It's also just an utterly fatuous point.

As if the players would've looked up and gone "oooh wow a huge flag and look they are all wearing the same colour, I must try extra hard in this once in a lifetime opportunity and win the biggest game of my life".

Players have made it clear that they love the backing of the fans and the noise we make in Europe. The displays are part of that. You only need to look at how much of a fortress Ibrox is to see the proof.

Players have made it clear that they love the backing of the fans and the noise we make in Europe. The displays are part of that. You only need to look at how much of a fortress Ibrox is to see the proof.
I understand that. But the players gave their all. They literally couldnt have given anymore - they were dead on their feet at the end.

Some flags and songs wouldn't have changed it.

I understand that. But the players gave their all. They literally couldnt have given anymore - they were dead on their feet at the end.

Some flags and songs wouldn't have changed it.

I know they did but I just believe that a strong backing from our end may have helped them. Our fans were also poor at their 3rd - 5th pens, not a peep. Strange.

I was the same behind the goals, i genuinely thought some
of the fans around me couldn’t be arsed. I sang for the full game as well and tried to encourage others.

I genuinely don’t think it was a case of can’t be arsed, especially for those who are their week in week out.

A major problem & factor was the ticketing, I seen a boy who I’ve known since school & he hasn’t been inside Ibrox since Feyenoord 2002 & he had a ticket.

I also know boys who I travelled to Brechin, Annan etc with who missed out on tickets & simply couldn’t justify paying over the odds. It was all wrong.

Taking into consideration the booze, weather & sever lack of fluids also played a massive part.

Not to mention nerves.

I know they did but I just believe that a strong backing from our end may have helped them. Our fans were also poor at their 3rd - 5th pens, not a peep. Strange.
Just nerves I think. The whole occasion was just so big. I was probably more nervous before and during that game than ever before simply because of the magnitude of it. I know I wasn't my usual self when I was watching it, so i'd not be surprised the fans in the stadium were feeling the same.

I genuinely don’t think it was a case of can’t be arsed, especially for those who are their week in week out.

A major problem & factor was the ticketing, I seen a boy who I’ve known since school & he hasn’t been inside Ibrox since Feyenoord 2002 & he had a ticket.

I also know boys who I travelled to Brechin, Annan etc with who missed out on tickets & simply couldn’t justify paying over the odds. It was all wrong.

Taking into consideration the booze, weather & sever lack of fluids also played a massive part.

Not to mention nerves.

That’s what I mean when they can’t be arsed. Plenty in our end who can’t be arsed to get to Ibrox for games. We go everywhere and i definitely think having those in the ground is important. Those with cash or had connections turned up in their numbers and it showed.

We never stopped singing in Leipzig.

As i say we need a team of SLO's at Rangers not one person can do everything there needs to be more collaboration with the club as well. All other clubs do it and club 1872 is just a statement organisation what do they actually do for the common supporter, all over the UK there are supporters trusts that collaborate with their clubs and help with their displays. It feels like the club just said get your tickets if you can and fook the rest were doing nothing. They didn't show any effort to help supporters .

I’m sure if you look at the posts the same folk with be all over match threads as they watch our team on a fire stick.

The heat yesterday and the conditions at the stadium all played its part.

FWIW me abs my son can hardly speak today after 3 days singing.

Rangers ends have never been bouncing when the team isn’t playing the best. Out support is reactive to the game itself. The difference with the Germans is that they do their choreographed songs no matter what is going on the pitch.

The union bears display was not allowed due to the use of bamboo canes the Frankfurt canes were plastic , Spanish cops decided they were not allowing it in despite uefa giving the ok. 2 lads had brought it over in a van drove for 27 hrs in doing so
FFS!! I was wondering the reason for this so thanks for clearing it up.

How Spain and their bastard police/Guarda get away with nonsense year in year our is a disgrace.

I am delighted with our Euro campaign this season. Winning would have been the cherry on the icing but it’s sport and we came up just short. I think the team gave their all and were far from embarrassed in taking it all the way to penalties. No criticism of individual players. It was a great campaign. Our fans behaved well in Seville and were a credit to our club from a security perspective. Yes, the stadium was a clusterf*ck; the police arbitrary; and the conditions challenging. All fair points.

My one regret is that we didn’t sing well on the night. There was more noise in that bar under the big pergola structure in the town centre the night before the match. And on the day of the match in the afternoon sun. I posted on another thread that we seemed to greatly outnumber the EF support. I was wrong. Most of them were just keeping their powder dry.

We on the other hand blew a collective gasket before the first whistle. I had to point a few guys in the direction of their gate on the way in. They were so pissed they couldn’t focus their eyes. I had to read their phones to see their gate. I’d be surprised if they saw much of the game. Their choice obviously, but I thought there was too much of that. I sang as much as I could in the neutral section but no bugger around me would join in. At the end of game, one of the Germans in front of me said ‘well done but why did you bring those pussies with you?’ Maybe we’ll remember to pace ourselves next time. And there WILL be a next time!

The fact that folk on here said they were getting AirPods & battery packs etc taken off them yet they had flares in their end was a disgrace.

That & the lack of water (which is downright dangerous) should be taken forward by the club to UEFA.

What about the people that were there and also deserved to be there, that have also said it was shocking and they are glad they’ll not have to see the majority of that Rangers support again?

Ultimately it was Rangers choice to dilute the Rangers end with thousands of ex players, staff, families, sponsors or anyone with a slightest connection with the club. Do I think that could be a wee bit sinister as to why they done that? Wouldn’t put it past them.

What needs to stop though is folk categorising themselves and others, it’s been constant since we beat Leipzig on who is the bigger Rangers man and who deserves this because they’ve spent X amount or who can and cannot have an opinion on something due to where the watched the final. Bonkers.

How many times have we played opposition with the Ultras culture where the numbers mean we are expected to match or top their noise level?

Their end was coordinated, a single chant or song with near 100% participation.

Our end had random songs breaking out all over the place which were over before the neighbouring sections caught on.

Also, our noise us generated organically based on what happens on the pitch, whereas the Germans were at it all of the time. They barely missed a beat when we scored.

Good post. Maybe it’s the disappointment that makes everything seem worse, but this could be the end of two eras. One with a squad who delivered 55 and defied all the odds/experts to get us to a final we though we wouldn’t see again.

And one where fan cohesion falls apart.

I just hope this is a simple family disagreement and after a few sleeps it’ll calm down. Not nice seeing all the us vs them stuff today.

I know some of the young team spent Friday Saturday Sunday day and night on shifts doing our tifo . Left in a van Monday morning for Spain. Only for it to be knocked back . Sore one for all their time and effort. They are a credit to Rangers fans.

Haven’t met any fan who was at the game moaning about the atmosphere. Seems to all be coming from people not at the game ?

Was all singing, standing and supporting where I was. Shame there was no display before the game but que sera.

Think Frankfurt, the club, paid for tifo, flags, t shirts etc. Club and fans together.
We could learn something.

Agree. My worst experience of an away trip. Spanish police as usual creating problems that don't exist. Lack of water being an issue in 2022 is a disgrace

Well said jdm

Frankfurt were more organized and louder by some distance. Quite embarrassing to be honest as are the attempts to downplay it.

We didn’t show up for the players and yes, I was there.
I was near the Frankfurt fans and sang my head off as did those of us who were in their section but it was quiet elsewhere is how it sounded. Few reasons maybe, lack of water def throats parched, nerves, lack of coordination so it was like some fans dont go to Ibrox much, maybe given all that a lack of energy. Frankfurt fans saved it up for the game, they were quiet before and oddly quiet in the streets after. They also had a limited song book so everyone knew what to sing at the same time.

That’s a shame that the UB’s tifo didn’t get an airing.

Same shit they have to deal with in Scotland with Hampden security.

It’s why both sides now just use pyro all the time as a get it up you gesture for not letting tifo materials in.

Seriously ?

What difference does plastic/bamboo make?

I was near the Frankfurt fans and sang my head off as did those of us who were in their section but it was quiet elsewhere is how it sounded. Few reasons maybe, lack of water def throats parched, nerves, lack of coordination so it was like some fans dont go to Ibrox much, maybe given all that a lack of energy. Frankfurt fans saved it up for the game, they were quiet before and oddly quiet in the streets after. They also had a limited song book so everyone knew what to sing at the same time.
That’s one thing I thought was really weird. Passed hundreds of their fans after on the street and hundreds at the airport.

You’d have thought the game ended in a draw and was going to a replay. They looked as miserable as we did

Not to mention nerves.

I agree.

Rangers ends have never been bouncing when the team isn’t playing the best. Out support is reactive to the game itself. The difference with the Germans is that they do their choreographed songs no matter what is going on the pitch.
No, the Rangers away support is as good if not better than anyone so there were obviously a lot of other issues at play last night that caused them to be much less vocal than normal.

That’s one thing I thought was really weird. Passed hundreds of their fans after on the street and hundreds at the airport.

You’d have thought the game ended in a draw and was going to a replay. They looked as miserable as we did
Just tired, parched and needing to find our busses. In our case, the busses to Malaga.
That there seemed to be nothing to drink to be found on the streets outside seemed worse than having nothing to drink during the game, somehow.

That’s a real sickener for the lads.

How many times have we played opposition with the Ultras culture where the numbers mean we are expected to match or top their noise level?

Their end was coordinated, a single chant or song with near 100% participation.

Our end had random songs breaking out all over the place which were over before the neighbouring sections caught on.

Also, our noise us generated organically based on what happens on the pitch, whereas the Germans were at it all of the time. They barely missed a beat when we scored.

PSG were the same when we played them 20 years ago. Despite having over 10k fans in Paris we were outsung.

When I got back I wrote to DSM about a number of issues including the need to create a proper area, in a prime location, to encourage more young fans to get organised and get together to generate a better atmosphere.

I actually got invited to a meeting inside Ibrox with two Rangers' officials but my ideas were politely dismissed. The feeling was everything was fine as it was. That was 20 years ago and nothing much has changed.

The flags were stored under section F22 you could see them as you were walking up the stairs.

Were you in F40 by any chance?

Back